Found Deceased OR - Melissa Marie Jubane, 32, Beaverton, 4 September 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, 2nd murder that I am aware of, in the time I have lived here. The other one was in February 2023. Talon Mitchell murdered his new wife, Mona. I found out that he shot her in the head, while she was in the bathtub.

My god it's like the place in the Shining. That's so awful! It's actually a lovely building. What the heck???

If he looks seemingly legit, she either says, “let me call my husband and be on the phone with him,” or better, “let me go downstairs and enter your apartment with the security.” There big murderous guys are cowards when it comes to other men. But yes, asking for help to lure women in is the easiest way for them. The issue is, she sees him at work, she lives nearby and he is probably not menacing IRL. After a while, people let their guards down.
Totally agree. Her age was also a factor. I was so much kinder and naive when young - always wanting to help and while being wary, would probably help a neighbor like this that I recognized and kick my gut instincts to the curb. As women, our instincts of a creeper are always right. In the case of my neighbor years ago, I was 27 and I knew he was a creep. Everyone talked about him and described him as 'wholesome' but he scared me to death watching me come and go to my apartment, smoking a cigarette, hiding on his balcony. I was terrified of him. And the kicker? He was married to a lovely woman who had no clue he was evil. Ladies, listen to your instincts all the time - be on the phone with someone, or simply decline and say you're in a hurry, your back hurts, whatever. Don't go alone into a weirdo's apartment or car.

I moved here from NW Portland, because this building is very safe and secure. Where I lived previously, there were lots of break-ins despite it being a "luxury" building, and I was chased by some sketchy character with a machete while walking my dog. That was the final straw. When I checked out this building, as a single woman, I felt safe. I walk my dog at all hours of the day in this neighborhood, and I've never experienced anything scary. To know that there have been two murders committed by fairly younger men (19 and 27), in the last 1.5 years...I'm just wondering what else i can do to stay safe. I know this isn't about me but it's just an eerie feeling that this happened in the floor above me, she's Asian, just like me, and she has a dog, just like me. On her way to work, just going about her life. Just like me. How she walked the hallway to the garage, like I do every single day. You just never know. Ugh.
I am so sorry for her family, I'm sorry for you... it's all so unfair but sadly we've witnessed so many of these:

She just wanted to go to work.
She just wanted to run.
She just wanted to raise her children.
She just wanted a divorce.
She just wanted to feel safe in her own home.

Excellent swift work by LE, excellent immediate alert by her coworkers.

So heartbreaking, so senseless.

JMO

I moved here from NW Portland, because this building is very safe and secure. Where I lived previously, there were lots of break-ins despite it being a "luxury" building, and I was chased by some sketchy character with a machete while walking my dog. That was the final straw. When I checked out this building, as a single woman, I felt safe. I walk my dog at all hours of the day in this neighborhood, and I've never experienced anything scary. To know that there have been two murders committed by fairly younger men (19 and 27), in the last 1.5 years...I'm just wondering what else i can do to stay safe. I know this isn't about me but it's just an eerie feeling that this happened in the floor above me, she's Asian, just like me, and she has a dog, just like me. On her way to work, just going about her life. Just like me. How she walked the hallway to the garage, like I do every single day. You just never know. Ugh.

Oh fleewoodmac - I just want to give you a hug and help reassure you that you are doing all the right things.

I used to live in Portland and I never felt unsafe in the way that we feel unsafe now. You moved to a safe building here, that seems to have very nice amenities, and even though I describe it as a fortress, is clearly a sign of what people look for in amenities and security and won't be the last large complex in that area.

It's that enhanced situational awareness that is probably the key. Perhaps you could allow trusted family or friends to have immediate access to your phone location at all times. Perhaps you can find a friend to dog walk with. I don't want you to restrict your life over this. I am sure women who live alone in the smaller apartment complexes are feeling the same vulnerabilities that you are, too and they wish they might have more security.

I also think demanding more CCTV on each and every floor and hallway is imperative. Especially in over the stairway doors and landings, places where someone might hide between and apartment and the garage.

This has gone way beyond privacy and we all accept CCTV monitoring in all facets of our lives.

I recall there is an older self-help book for women. I think it was called The Stranger Next Door. Perhaps someone else remembers it.
I just ordered the somewhat updated version of the Gift of Fear for my own daughter who is 31. A lot of wisdom in that book, even though it's older. Trust your gut instinct ladies.

The Gift of Fear Paperback – February 9, 2021​

by Gavin de Becker (Author)
4.7 4.7 out of 5 stars 12,587 ratings
As seen on TikTok, protect yourself by learning how to trust — and act on — your instincts with the "empowering" (Boston Globe) #1 bestselling guide to personal safety, from security expert Gavin de Becker.

A carjacker lurking in a shopping mall parking lot. An abusive husband pounding on the door. A disgruntled employee brandishing a gun. These days, no one is safe from the specter of violence. But according to Gavin de Becker, everyone can feel safer, act safer, be safer — if they learn how to listen to their own sixth sense about danger. But the key to self-protection, he demonstrates, is learning how to trust our own intuitions. For everyone who's ever felt threatened, this book is essential reading.

I just ordered the somewhat updated version of the Gift of Fear for my own daughter who is 31. A lot of wisdom in that book, even though it's older. Trust your gut instinct ladies.

The Gift of Fear Paperback – February 9, 2021​

by Gavin de Becker (Author)
4.7 4.7 out of 5 stars 12,587 ratings
As seen on TikTok, protect yourself by learning how to trust — and act on — your instincts with the "empowering" (Boston Globe) #1 bestselling guide to personal safety, from security expert Gavin de Becker.

A carjacker lurking in a shopping mall parking lot. An abusive husband pounding on the door. A disgruntled employee brandishing a gun. These days, no one is safe from the specter of violence. But according to Gavin de Becker, everyone can feel safer, act safer, be safer — if they learn how to listen to their own sixth sense about danger. But the key to self-protection, he demonstrates, is learning how to trust our own intuitions. For everyone who's ever felt threatened, this book is essential reading.
Thank you, Knox

This is exactly the book I was thinking of.

Yes, 2nd murder that I am aware of, in the time I have lived here. The other one was in February 2023. Talon Mitchell murdered his new wife, Mona. I found out that he shot her in the head, while she was in the bathtub.

Take a look at this :oops: - Talon Mitchell #2302268 Pen Pal Profile
Just an inmate looking for a friend ...

Article from 8 years ago. Newberg is his last official address.

Oct. 24, 2016 Newsletter​

“I’m a good grandma’s boy, and my grandma told me this was a great opportunity.”
bryce-schubert-101916
Bryce Schubert describes his transformational week at RYLA “camp.”
The opportunity that Bryce Schubert, our speaker last week, was referring to was RYLA, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards. He had recently completed a week at a RYLA “camp” at Menucha in the Columbia River Gorge.
Club member and Director of Portland Community College’s Newberg Center, Lynn Montoya Quinn encouraged Bryce, who is a 19-year-old nursing student at PCC, to apply. He “wrote essays,” completed the application process, talked to his grandma, was interviewed and was selected.
He described his weeklong experience in enthusiastic detail. “You go into it oblivious as to what to expect,” he said. But after the first day, he was sold. “A pool, they feed you all you can eat, amazing people, amazing location, inspirational speakers….what’s not to like?”
Bryce had been doing drywall before. “If you’ve ever done that kind of work, you know how hard it is. I didn’t want to do that the rest of my life.”
“One of the most important things they teach is the difference between being a leader and a manager,” he said. “Things like, ‘Set an example. Be on time. Make eye contact.'”
One of the biggest takeaways, Bryce said, “was seeing people open up” and blossom from the training.
He especially enjoyed a presentation by the person who had served as the University of Oregon Ducks mascot. “They told us what it’s like to give back to the community. I wasn’t aware of the concept of community before this,” he said. “Now I see you all here at Rotary, I understand how you give back, the projects you do in Newberg. I see how it works.”
president-leah-presents-a-rotary-pen-to-speaker-byrce-schubert-101916
President Leah presents a Rotary pen to Bryce.
Other takeaways:
  • He was able to use the skills he learned to improve his relationship with his sister
  • He is committed to his gym workouts. “My goal is to play football,” he said.
  • He understands the importance of having values
  • He is very appreciative of the “great opportunity” he was given.

In other news…..

****IMO****

I keep thinking about the Nicole Laub case, which happened in 2014 and about three miles from Melissa Jubane's apartments. Nicole was in the middle of her workday at an apartment complex. These are some of the safest neighborhoods in Oregon.

It turned out to be a random attack by a 17 yr old male who lived across the street. (Just found out his conviction was overturned in '21.)

Although these situations are rare, Melissa's and Nicole's cases show it can come from anywhere when you least expect it.

Edit: ****IMO****

Last edited:

Article from 8 years ago. Newberg is his last official address.

Oct. 24, 2016 Newsletter​

“I’m a good grandma’s boy, and my grandma told me this was a great opportunity.”
bryce-schubert-101916
Bryce Schubert describes his transformational week at RYLA “camp.”
The opportunity that Bryce Schubert, our speaker last week, was referring to was RYLA, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards. He had recently completed a week at a RYLA “camp” at Menucha in the Columbia River Gorge.
Club member and Director of Portland Community College’s Newberg Center, Lynn Montoya Quinn encouraged Bryce, who is a 19-year-old nursing student at PCC, to apply. He “wrote essays,” completed the application process, talked to his grandma, was interviewed and was selected.
He described his weeklong experience in enthusiastic detail. “You go into it oblivious as to what to expect,” he said. But after the first day, he was sold. “A pool, they feed you all you can eat, amazing people, amazing location, inspirational speakers….what’s not to like?”
Bryce had been doing drywall before. “If you’ve ever done that kind of work, you know how hard it is. I didn’t want to do that the rest of my life.”
“One of the most important things they teach is the difference between being a leader and a manager,” he said. “Things like, ‘Set an example. Be on time. Make eye contact.'”
One of the biggest takeaways, Bryce said, “was seeing people open up” and blossom from the training.
He especially enjoyed a presentation by the person who had served as the University of Oregon Ducks mascot. “They told us what it’s like to give back to the community. I wasn’t aware of the concept of community before this,” he said. “Now I see you all here at Rotary, I understand how you give back, the projects you do in Newberg. I see how it works.”
president-leah-presents-a-rotary-pen-to-speaker-byrce-schubert-101916
President Leah presents a Rotary pen to Bryce.
Other takeaways:
  • He was able to use the skills he learned to improve his relationship with his sister
  • He is committed to his gym workouts. “My goal is to play football,” he said.
  • He understands the importance of having values
  • He is very appreciative of the “great opportunity” he was given.

In other news…..

Sounds like a psychopath in training.

I wonder what else he has been caught doing, all the while playing the fair-haired good gramma's boy.

This is very chilling. Like looking at Ted Bundy's teen years.

Was it ever mentioned if there were cameras in the parking garage?

I don't know the specific differences in 1st and 2nd degree murder in Oregon, but I wonder if he accidently hit her with his car and then panicked and took her somewhere instead of the hospital. I'm sure it's not this simple and he was probably a predator.. but dang it, it's just the same darn story every time. Women getting killed by men who think they have a right to take what they want and then remove them from this earth. :(

Hey neighbor, I am over in Vancouver. My sister lives out by you. This one hurts. We usually lose our women to significant others here, to see something like this makes it hurt even more. Thank you for the detailed information.

Earlier in this case, when I was surveying the neighborhood and it's characteristics, it really occurred to me that Baseline 158 looked strangely out of place. It was a self-contained 5- story fortress- like building occupying an entire block in a neighborhood of dozens of two-story small apartment complexes. Clearly with restricted access into the parking garage, which much be very reassuring for those coming and going during long working hours, especially such as medical-types, so they don't have to search for on-street parking at 3 am coming home from a long shift, or risk leaving their car vulnerable to street break-ins. Clearly security features all around, cameras. Very few of the adjacent rental places look to have any gates or access restrictions.

Must have been very appealing to people working long shifts, with small children. It also seemed like part of a neighborhood in transition, where other smaller rental places were likely to be turned into these 5 story fortresses. It reminded me of the blocks and blocks upper-scale apartments you find in southern California, especially such as in Irvine, where these places go on for miles. This part of Beaverton had just not got that far, yet. Yet, I'm sure her family and husband felt this was a really safe place for her to be with her long hours at work.

Such a caveat that you never really know where the dangerous ones are. Presumably the perp knew of her fiance / husband for a long time and knew she had been gone. Even if not a friend or passing acquaintance, might have figured out that she was headed for a wedding or a honeymoon.

Like everyone, I want to find out why this perp felt he had the right to attack and injure her. I, too, want the full story because it's critical to spread the word about the degree of caution women have to go through for safety. Even in this neighborhood fortress, foul evil lived and stalked the kind and innocent.

I recall there is an older self-help book for women. I think it was called The Stranger Next Door. Perhaps someone else remembers it. This seems so much like that scenario for Melissa Jubane. My greatest condolences to her husband, her family and her many colleagues and patients.
They are housing hubs for the hospitals, Nike, Wells Fargo has a huge call center nearby, Intel, and other huge employers.

I also think demanding more CCTV on each and every floor and hallway is imperative. Especially in over the stairway doors and landings, places where someone might hide between and apartment and the garage.

This has gone way beyond privacy and we all accept CCTV monitoring in all facets of our lives.
Thank you for your kind words. I have asked for this, and they are looking into it. I really hope this gets installed.

Thank you for your kind words. I have asked for this, and they are looking into it. I really hope this gets installed.
The buildings insurance carrier will likely demand increased security measures, IMO. Even though they did not play a role in Melissa's death, it happened on their property. There may be a civil action later, even though it's the last thing on the families mind now.

The buildings insurance carrier will likely demand increased security measures, IMO. Even though they did not play a role in Melissa's death, it happened on their property. There may be a civil action later, even though it's the last thing on the families mind now.
Excellent point, Knox.

I think anyone there should be able to see who is at their doorstep. Might be very illustrative if the perp was going to her door testing it to see if she was there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbarch
Back