Found Deceased OR - Merrilee Cooley, 68, Clackamas, 27 Dec 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
21823127-mmmain.jpg

Merrilee Cooley, 68, of Johnson City was reported missing after her family last saw her on Dec. 26, her daughter-in-law said. Police found her missing car Jan. 5, 2016 with her dead body inside the trunk.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2017/01/woman_found_dead_in_trunk_of_c.html

This case comes across as a typical home invasion, carried out by a couple of complete morons.

First and most importantly, I think it was likely done by someone not only familiar to her, but to other people at the complex as well . This would include current and past landscapers, maintenance men, road repair crews, cleaning crews, trailer park employees, and kids that roam around and offer to cut grass. I think this was pulled off by a kid(s) who was under the mistaken assumption that this lady had plenty of cash around the house or had heard rumors of such. They didn't want the credit cards because they are too easy to track and result in video footage many times. Using a stolen credit or debit card these days is getting riskier and riskier.

I think rather than physically assault her, she was herded out to her car and told as long as she kept quiet, she would be okay. She may well have been alive and well when the car was parked and abandoned with the keys in the ignition, with the intention being that she would yell and holler enough that somebody would hear her, and eventually let her go. Due to her medical problems, things may have gone awry and she may have succumbed to a heart attack, positional asphyxia, suffocation , hypothermia, some other medical ailment, or a combination of all of them.

This is most likely a couple of younger kids who were just familiar enough with her to think she would be an easy target, which of course she was. They wanted cash, guns, a lock box, a home safe, prescription drugs, jewelry and/or anything else that is easy to cash in. They may have heard "rumors" about what she had in her home, or they themselves may have done some work in it at one time or another. Since harming her wasn't necessarily in the cards, taking her along and dumping her out in a place where people could hear her yelling and beating on the side of the car, would buy them plenty of time to make an escape. She gets released unharmed, no harm---- no foul.

Another possibility...... This was carried out with a female involved, or, maybe carried out by females all together, who were opposed to physically harming her.

This case comes across as a typical home invasion, carried out by a couple of complete morons.

First and most importantly, I think it was likely done by someone not only familiar to her, but to other people at the complex as well . This would include current and past landscapers, maintenance men, road repair crews, cleaning crews, trailer park employees, and kids that roam around and offer to cut grass. I think this was pulled off by a kid(s) who was under the mistaken assumption that this lady had plenty of cash around the house or had heard rumors of such. They didn't want the credit cards because they are too easy to track and result in video footage many times. Using a stolen credit or debit card these days is getting riskier and riskier.

I think rather than physically assault her, she was herded out to her car and told as long as she kept quiet, she would be okay. She may well have been alive and well when the car was parked and abandoned with the keys in the ignition, with the intention being that she would yell and holler enough that somebody would hear her, and eventually let her go. Due to her medical problems, things may have gone awry and she may have succumbed to a heart attack, positional asphyxia, suffocation , hypothermia, some other medical ailment, or a combination of all of them.

This is most likely a couple of younger kids who were just familiar enough with her to think she would be an easy target, which of course she was. They wanted cash, guns, a lock box, a home safe, prescription drugs, jewelry and/or anything else that is easy to cash in. They may have heard "rumors" about what she had in her home, or they themselves may have done some work in it at one time or another. Since harming her wasn't necessarily in the cards, taking her along and dumping her out in a place where people could hear her yelling and beating on the side of the car, would buy them plenty of time to make an escape. She gets released unharmed, no harm---- no foul.

Another possibility...... This was carried out with a female involved, or, maybe carried out by females all together, who were opposed to physically harming her.
But we don't know how she was murdered. And if they left her alive, they would have to know she'd be able to identify them at some point.

The fact they found her slipper in the front yard suggests she was still in her pj's? (But you don't sleep with your slippers on). Whoever it was would have to be strong, or have an accomplice to carry her across the yard and into the trunk.

But I think you may be on target.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Do we have any info if it looks like a struggle or crime scene at the home besides her slipper and of course...her car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But we don't know how she was murdered. And if they left her alive, they would have to know she'd be able to identify them at some point.

The fact they found her slipper in the front yard suggests she was still in her pj's? (But you don't sleep with your slippers on). Whoever it was would have to be strong, or have an accomplice to carry her across the yard and into the trunk.

But I think you may be on target.

They haven't released COD yet, I agree. I suspect that's being withheld deliberately because it would help to establish what was going on in the minds of the persons responsible for putting her in that trunk. If it turns out she was stabbed or shot to death, then the "kindler and gentler" abduction theory goes right out the window.

There's something about the way things were left however ; keys in ignition, car door unlocked, populated area, etc........ it seems almost like a gentler way to mask an abduction, as well as a way to afford the victim a chance to escape. If she was hogtied and had her mouth and nose duct taped for example, even that could be viewed as sheer carelessness by the abductors, but not necessarily an intent to kill. The detectives may already know that her death was caused by what happened while she was in the trunk, versus what was done to her before. Information such as that will be very important when it comes to eventually questioning a suspect and establishing their frame of mind when putting her in the back of the vehicle. For some reason, this feels as if the perpetrator really didn't want to beat up an old lady. He/she couldn't just run away after robbing her though, they needed plenty of time to make an escape before she sounded the alarm and the cops showed up. When I first read about this, it reminded me of a couple of plots I've seen in action movies.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.kgw....e-tuesday-family-says/380327112?client=safari
I found my answer, this states the house was in disarray and furniture flipped etc, she must have fought like hell. I agree, she probably knew the intruder, curious if they found blood at her home. I don't understand the need to put her in her trunk unless you needed her for something like bank pin or you wanted to delay finding her bc of evidence or witnesses. Idk jmo

I think the keys were left in the ignition and car unlocked because the perp(s) hoped someone would steal the car. I grew up in Portland, which is relatively close to this area. Last I knew, it was kind of a sketchy area where there would be a good chance someone would steal the car.

There seems to be conflicting information on whether her house was ransacked and in disarray...........or it wasn't. I can't quite understand the discrepancy unless she was a really bad housekeeper.

The family of Merrilee Cooley said a friend went to check on her on Dec. 28 and found Cooley's Clackamas home unlocked and in disarray, with her purse emptied out, furniture turned over and one of her slippers outside. The friend said her car and car keys were also gone.

"I entered the house and found things turned upside down. And the fact that her walker was still there and both of her wheelchairs were still there and she cannot get around without her walker or her wheelchairs," Husman said.

On Thursday night, Jensen said the house was not ransacked as initially reported.

http://www.kgw.com/news/clackamas-woman-missing-since-tuesday-family-says/380327112

So which is it ?

Hmm, flipped furniture though? Is that just bad/wrong info?

The friend that went to check on her said the house was in disarray and the furniture was upside down.

The family members said pretty much the exact same thing.

The cops said (Jensen) that it wasn't. This isn't just the media saying it, they are getting their info. from insiders, namely family and friends .

You decide............................................

The friend that went to check on her said the house was in disarray and the furniture was upside down.

The cops said (Jensen) that it wasn't. This isn't just the media saying it, they are getting their info. from insiders, namely family and friends .

Interesting and sad.

Her slipper in the yard suggests she was dragged to her car-especially slide types. Was she found wearing a slipper? Was she burglarized or have issues with any neighbors? Everyone speaks highly of her but kids and adults see people differently. Leaving her car at an apartment complex is risky-people in and out at all hours. People living in apartments would've noticed a strange car taking up a space. A home health nurse or in-home aide wouldn't need to go to this much trouble. Falls aren't unheard of for someone using a walker. Walkers are cumbersome. This screams impulsive teen.

Her slipper in the yard suggests she was dragged to her car-especially slide types. Was she found wearing a slipper? Was she burglarized or have issues with any neighbors? Everyone speaks highly of her but kids and adults see people differently. Leaving her car at an apartment complex is risky-people in and out at all hours. People living in apartments would've noticed a strange car taking up a space. A home health nurse or in-home aide wouldn't need to go to this much trouble. Falls aren't unheard of for someone using a walker. Walkers are cumbersome. This screams impulsive teen.

I agree with that completely.

Also, every trailer park I've ever been has certain traits that seem to be pretty common to all of them.

1) Extremely close quarters...... trailers crammed in tight.
2) Well lit at night.
3) Neighbors that don't have much to do all day except keep an eye on everyone else.
4) A designated parking spot either directly in front of the trailer or to the side of it.
5) Very little privacy.
6) Roaming youth and teenagers who live at, or are visiting, the park.

This woman was probably instantly hysterical when she saw this person/people in her house. I have to assume this all happened in the middle of the night, although I have nothing to base that on, other than logic.
I would imagine she immediately began calling for help, while whooping and hollering the whole time. Somehow, none of that noise made it over to the neighbors house. The act of her being dragged and dumped into the rear of her car was also unseen and unheard. Was she incapacitated by the time she was being put into the car ? If so, why bother taking her at all ?

If she was surprised in her sleep, then the noise level may have been controlled from the very beginning. The threat made by a gun or a knife would be enough to get compliance and keep her quieted down.
I keep going back to how the car was left and the conditions surrounding it. Is it possible that the entire motive was to sneak into her house, steal her keys, and take off in her car ? She wakes up, or wasn't yet asleep, and surprises the burglar(s). Maybe she recognized the thief......and/or confronted him, and things took a turn for the worst. The same scenario could also apply if the point of breaking in was to steal her meds.

Another possibility, and probably the most important one................she wasn't afraid of the person she confronted, and therefore never yelled out for help.

This almost has to be someone who either resides in that complex or was visiting there.

Maybe LE and family have a different definition of the word 'ransacked'?

I think she was taken away to delay a murder investigation. I believe she was murdered in her home, possibly strangled as LE did not suspect murder right away, or at least incapacitated and wasn't able to yell or struggle, making it relatively easy for intruders to carry her to the car. I think there must have been at least two intruders to carry her outside. Slippers fall of easily, whether she was dragged or carried.

I think she was probably murdered for some cash that she might have had in her purse or elsewhere in the home, or for her pain meds, or something like that. jmo

I think the keys were left in the ignition and car unlocked because the perp(s) hoped someone would steal the car. I grew up in Portland, which is relatively close to this area. Last I knew, it was kind of a sketchy area where there would be a good chance someone would steal the car.

Im local and can tell you that its not just the Clackamas area, there are so many different places now , some worse than others.
Imo this is going to turn out to be someone close to her , maybe not family, but close none the less.

I agree with that completely.

Also, every trailer park I've ever been has certain traits that seem to be pretty common to all of them.

1) Extremely close quarters...... trailers crammed in tight.
2) Well lit at night.
3) Neighbors that don't have much to do all day except keep an eye on everyone else.
4) A designated parking spot either directly in front of the trailer or to the side of it.
5) Very little privacy.
6) Roaming youth and teenagers who live at, or are visiting, the park.

This woman was probably instantly hysterical when she saw this person/people in her house. I have to assume this all happened in the middle of the night, although I have nothing to base that on, other than logic.
I would imagine she immediately began calling for help, while whooping and hollering the whole time. Somehow, none of that noise made it over to the neighbors house. The act of her being dragged and dumped into the rear of her car was also unseen and unheard. Was she incapacitated by the time she was being put into the car ? If so, why bother taking her at all ?

If she was surprised in her sleep, then the noise level may have been controlled from the very beginning. The threat made by a gun or a knife would be enough to get compliance and keep her quieted down.
I keep going back to how the car was left and the conditions surrounding it. Is it possible that the entire motive was to sneak into her house, steal her keys, and take off in her car ? She wakes up, or wasn't yet asleep, and surprises the burglar(s). Maybe she recognized the thief......and/or confronted him, and things took a turn for the worst. The same scenario could also apply if the point of breaking in was to steal her meds.

Another possibility, and probably the most important one................she wasn't afraid of the person she confronted, and therefore never yelled out for help.

This almost has to be someone who either resides in that complex or was visiting there.
Wha?! Oh geez. Did she live in a trailer park?

I agree, its family, friend, or neighbors. Someone close to her or her home.

Wha?! Oh geez. Did she live in a trailer park?

Well..........at the beginning of this video, they say that she lived at "The Johnson Mobile Estates",.................. sounds like a trailer park to me. In the video they show police cars parked in front of a mobile home that I assume belongs to her. They also interview one of her close neighbors.

Also in this video.........and pretty disturbing.............over this last weekend the police said they didn't receive one single tip in regards to this case......not one.......nada.

Video here, watch it and listen if you can : http://www.kgw.com/news/clackamas-woman-missing-since-tuesday-family-says/380327112

They(LE) aren't releasing the cause of death. My only thinking at this time is the state of the home found in and cause of death are related. If so...I have no idea at this time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Imo this is going to turn out to be someone close to her , maybe not family, but close none the less.

I'm leaning toward that myself. I have a feeling it's not robbery related.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back