OR - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He mentioned they do not have unlimited supplies and sounds pretty edgy, paranoid even more so today.

eta, he commented on the youtube link.

I think that more than his guns, this young man needs psychiatric help he's not getting.

He mentioned they do not have unlimited supplies and sounds pretty edgy, paranoid even more so today.

eta, he commented on the youtube link.

I'm thinking it's time for drones armed with tranquilizer darts to move on in......

Part of Fry's 2nd video transcribed.

[video=twitter;696451544506433537]https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/696451544506433537[/video]

It's possible to pick more than one battle, even if you know it's a losing battle. I lived in WV in 2008 and wrote letters to every single newspaper talking about Obama and gun control. That was a battle I wasn't going to win but I needed to do something. At the same time I was fighting other social and political battles. (And raising a kid which involved a whole lot of choosing my battles. ;) ) But. You don't necessarily have to make a choice. JMO

OT: I know the Simpsons live in Springfield but I will always claim Groening as a Portlander. :)

OT/OT: Prefontaine and Bowerman should own Eugene.

Pre does, there is a memorial to him when entering Hendricks Park, I loved hiking in that park, it's gorgeous.

The Nobility of Good Lawyers With Bad Clients
The armed standoff in Burns, Oregon, is a perfect case study for why all defendants need excellent representation—and why the current criminal-justice state is no panacea.

The Atlantic
Garrett Epps
Sunday February 7, 2016 / 7:00 AM ET

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...lity-of-good-lawyers-with-bad-clients/459645/

“In the early hours of the morning, law professors wonder whether anything we do makes the world a better place.

Today, I feel pretty sure that the answer is yes. That’s because, on January 28, I awoke to a televised image of Ammon Bundy’s lawyer, Mike Arnold of Eugene, Oregon, reading a statement urging the other Malheur protesters to stand down. Arnold is a former student of mine. So is Tiffany Harris of Portland, who represents Shawna Cox, the 59-year-old woman who was arrested in the car with LaVoy Finicum, the militant spokesman who was shot during a traffic stop near the occupied Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

I couldn’t be prouder.

That’s not because I like their clients. I taught Mike and Tiffany during 16 happy years at the University of Oregon School of Law. ...”

“... A recent report on Oregon Public Broadcasting raised questions about the firm's contacts with Bundy before his arrest. Arnold told me that lawyers from his firm contacted private ethics counsel about whether they could approach the occupiers “and help them defuse the situation.” After that, they sent a letter and held a brief meeting. “We did advise them that they should talk to a lawyer,” he added. In a statement, the firm said, “There is a right to counsel, and attorneys are encouraged to make themselves available and even to represent the most unpopular of causes.””​

This strikes me as a very condescending article. I would think that most people who read The Atlantic understand the general principles involved in defending a client in a court of law.

But, am I to believe that ambulance chasing is now `diffusing the situation’?

Waste of time article, bunch of malarkey, imo.

Arnold is also on the Bundy Ranch FB page soliciting for donations...

Pre does, there is a memorial to him when entering Hendricks Park, I loved hiking in that park, it's gorgeous.
And the Pre Games. What I wouldn't give to own one of those mid-century Hendricks Park houses holy Hannah! I recently discovered the old Mason cemetery which is also cool.

Sorry I'm way off topic.

OPB has produced some very good reporting and journalism around the takeover of the Malheur Refuge. I am not familiar with this author and this is not one of their better offerings, imo. However, the portion I pulled, stood out to me. Also, it is possible I am being overly critical this morning.

Supporters Memorialize LaVoy Finicum, Seek Unifying Message
by Rob Manning OPB | Feb. 6, 2016 6:22 p.m. | Updated: Feb. 6, 2016 10:33 p.m. | Burns, Oregon

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...m-roadside-memorial-pacific-patriots-network/

“Other eastern Oregonians were likewise focused on rebuilding the memorial “bigger and better” as Burns resident Joshawa Boerem put it.

“There’s so many more people here today than there was yesterday,” Boerem added.

Boerem was one of several men who hoisted a wooden cross 20 feet up a pine tree, where they nailed it to the trunk with two long nails.

They said it would make for a more lasting memorial.”​

Not content with the damage inflicted at the Refuge, now they are out damaging the trees in the forests. I am so sick of these people.

Did you also notice they are using confederate bunting?

I've sent Manning the same email I sent to the Oregonian regarding religious paraphernalia being installed on a public highway. I added a request for comment on the vandalism that is taking place in the name of a "memorial".

Fry again, Camp Finicum tribute...

[video=youtube;S-5E86Dct7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-5E86Dct7E[/video]

I'm an Oregonian. Not native but I'm here to stay.

I don't know how tongue in cheek y'all are being currently because I haven't been reading the whole thread.

Several years ago a family of 3 was killed on 126 by an angry drunk displaced Katrina victim. Three crosses were placed by the side of the 126 (I don't know if it's a highway or interstate or whatever). My atheist self was not bothered by the efforts of survivors to honor the deceased.

The humongous billboard declaring Springfield as "A City of God" by the local mega church (Crossfire), however, led me to email the pastor requesting copies of the studies and data from which he'd based his assertion as I, then a resident of Springfield, had taken no such poll to determine who Springfield belonged to.

He never replied.

For the record, the answer is "Matt Groening," while neighboring Eugene is a City of Phil Knight.

I guess my point is I pick my battles? There are plenty from which to choose.

I don't think we're being tongue-in-cheek at all.

One of the problems that I have been trying to get at is that roadside memorials are always Christian, and they are on public property. They infringe on church-state separation. Plus, anything other than Christian symbols is evidently not permitted.

Lol about the City of God and your email. LMAO Springfield seems a very unlikely designee for the honor of being a divine possession. But also, the billboard wasn't on public property; it was just in-your-face. In the case of the Burns-John-Day memorial, we're talking federal right-of-way and national forest.

I've been to Oregon several times in my life and I have friends and family living there, and I faithfully watch Grimm. Does that count??

I've lived in rural Oregon and Portland, and I refuse to watch Portlandia. Does that count? :)

Did you also notice they are using confederate bunting?

I've sent Manning the same email I sent to the Oregonian regarding religious paraphernalia being installed on a public highway. I added a request for comment on the vandalism that is taking place in the name of a "memorial".
Thank you for pointing that out. I confess I was not up to date on what Confederate bunting looks like so I had to look it up. Now I know.

I love Lady Gaga, she makes me feel patriotic!

The Nobility of Good Lawyers With Bad Clients
The armed standoff in Burns, Oregon, is a perfect case study for why all defendants need excellent representation—and why the current criminal-justice state is no panacea.

The Atlantic
Garrett Epps
Sunday February 7, 2016 / 7:00 AM ET

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...lity-of-good-lawyers-with-bad-clients/459645/

“In the early hours of the morning, law professors wonder whether anything we do makes the world a better place.

Today, I feel pretty sure that the answer is yes. That’s because, on January 28, I awoke to a televised image of Ammon Bundy’s lawyer, Mike Arnold of Eugene, Oregon, reading a statement urging the other Malheur protesters to stand down. Arnold is a former student of mine. So is Tiffany Harris of Portland, who represents Shawna Cox, the 59-year-old woman who was arrested in the car with LaVoy Finicum, the militant spokesman who was shot during a traffic stop near the occupied Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

I couldn’t be prouder.

That’s not because I like their clients. I taught Mike and Tiffany during 16 happy years at the University of Oregon School of Law. ...”

“... A recent report on Oregon Public Broadcasting raised questions about the firm's contacts with Bundy before his arrest. Arnold told me that lawyers from his firm contacted private ethics counsel about whether they could approach the occupiers “and help them defuse the situation.” After that, they sent a letter and held a brief meeting. “We did advise them that they should talk to a lawyer,” he added. In a statement, the firm said, “There is a right to counsel, and attorneys are encouraged to make themselves available and even to represent the most unpopular of causes.””​

This strikes me as a very condescending article. I would think that most people who read The Atlantic understand the general principles involved in defending a client in a court of law.

But, am I to believe that ambulance chasing is now `diffusing the situation’?

Waste of time article, bunch of malarkey, imo.

Reading even two sentences of this article makes me feel slimed. The guy calls his ex first-name-basis law students NOBLE? What has nobility got to do with it? We all know sleazy lawyers play dirty tricks. And that there are some very good lawyers out there, but probably not the ones he is on a first-name basis with. Why should we be obliged to be persuaded that this is all about NOBILITY?

He's seriously convinced that he should be taking a Godzilla-sized bow since he's made the world a better place because he knows "Mike" and "Tiffany" and must have made Tyke and Muffy into their 100% commendable adult selves?

I wouldn't want a law school instructor who lacks critical thinking skills.

Sorry to post so much but here's another video. Stay tuned to youtube. Fry has lost it.

[video=youtube;SKTP1krsNIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTP1krsNIc[/video]

Fry again, Camp Finicum tribute...

[video=youtube;S-5E86Dct7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-5E86Dct7E[/video]
Oh my! Camp Finicum with a cross; a Bible; and Lavoy Finicum's Bible which looks llke it has been barely used.

Sorry to post so much but here's another video. Stay tuned to youtube. Fry has lost it.

[video=youtube;SKTP1krsNIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTP1krsNIc[/video]
Wowzers!

I think they must have run out of marijuana.

I don't think we're being tongue-in-cheek at all.

One of the problems that I have been trying to get at is that roadside memorials are always Christian and these religious symbols are allowed to be presented on public property. Anything else is evidently not suitable.

Lol about the City of God and your email. LMAO Springfield seems a very unlikely designee for that honor. But also, the billboard wasn't on public property. In the case of the Burns-John-Day memorial, we're talking federal right-of-way and national forest.

My main problem with that memorial is all the disrespect they're showing to the American flag. I don't know if you can tell but it's one of my issues. (So patriotic for a liberal, I know, but I'm a proud American and a veteran.)

The whole thing looks trashy.

And didn't they nail it to a tree? That's not okay.

I'm thinking it's time for drones armed with tranquilizer darts to move on in......

I don't think it would take much. Maybe the drone could drop a load of mice and empty a barrel full of cheese balls down the refuge chimneys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member