OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The following statement is MY opinion, and MY opinion only:

"Good and Evil will always exist in the world .... Light against Darkness. Until it is ended ... and it will be one day."

End of my opinion. :)

<respectfully snipped for focus>

Your opinion is my opinion too. Thank you. :)

There have been several warnings to stay on topic. In case folks have forgotten, the topic is this shooting incident at the college.

If the broader gun debate continues you risk this thread being closed for admin review. I don't think anyone wants that. Keep this train on the tracks please.

There have been several warnings to stay on topic. In case folks have forgotten, the topic is this shooting incident at the college.

If the broader gun debate continues you risk this thread being closed for admin review. I don't think anyone wants that. Keep this train on the tracks please.

Thanks! I agree.

My baby girl graduates this year and will be heading to college. These cases scare the hell out of me.

My heart bleeds for these kids and their families. I can not even imagine. What a horrid nightmare.

JMO

And as scared as I am, I know people have to continue to live.
I have to teach my child not to live scared.
Go get an education. Enjoy your time on Earth.

It's hard sometimes. Because there is so much evil walking the same Earth as so much goodness.

The detectives who arrived first on campus were confronted by the killer. They likely prevented more deaths.

Two Roseburg police detectives heard the 10:38 a.m. call of shots fired at the Umpqua Community College and raced there Thursday morning. They were in the area on another case and were the first law enforcement to arrive on campus.

Harper-Mercer, 26, immediately fired shots at the officers, Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin said."He initiated the gunfire, '' the sheriff said.
The two detectives, partly using their car and another building across a breezeway as cover, returned fire until Harper-Mercer suddenly retreated, according to the sheriff.
The detectives were about 50 to 75 feet from the suspect, the sheriff estimated.

The sheriff credited the quick actions of the detectives, who are not typically armed with long guns.

"They responded exactly the way we expect officers to respond in this type of incident,'' Hanlin said. "I'm fairly convinced had they not intervened as quickly as they did we would have lost dozens of more lives.''

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...gon_school_shooting_sheriff.html#incart_river

The following statement is MY opinion, and MY opinion only:

"Good and Evil will always exist in the world .... Light against Darkness. Until it is ended ... and it will be one day."

End of my opinion. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A suggestion on protection in the schools and colleges:

Why not use Dogs, Dogs and more Dogs? Guard Dogs - German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, etc? They can be trained to attack the "gun" and "hand/arm" that holds the guns. They're quick to act, and won't let go no matter what, even if they're shot.

Your thoughts?

Edited to add: If they're good enough to protect the White House: why not our schools and colleges?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...nois/17777089/

Even adding security guards with metal detectors.

I don't think allowed to talk about that here. But I can tell you with certainty that it has nothing to do with CCW.

Vermont has never required a permit to carry a gun, and Vermont has always had a low crime rate.

The crime rate went down here in Florida after our shall-issue law was passed. It had already been going down prior to shall-issue -- but that downward trend wasn't reversed by the sudden legality of law-abiding citizens being able to carry legally, despite the alarmist hoplophobic prediction of "blood running in the streets."

Chicago, NY, DC, and several other big cities have, and have had for a long time, very strict gun control laws, in conjunction with extremely high crime rates.

Guns used to be much more widely and and easily available in the US. You used to be able to walk into any Western Auto and walk out with a rifle. You could order them through the mail. Anyone could! But there was no corresponding high crime rate.

So, now that we've established that there's no link between gun control and crime rates, you tell me why certain areas of the US have high crime rates. It's not the availability of guns, so it must be something else.

YES, it is something else. It's what our young people are watching and listening to all of which is veiled as Freedom of Speech for those who are making billions at the expense of our young people. Technology and the entertainment industry are so closely entwined with politics these days that it makes you wonder who is running the show. JMO

<modsnip>

Back on the topic ----I am not sure how this shooter could have been stopped unless it was prevented by his family.But that is easier said than done. I don't think he had much contact with his Father. And his mother seemed to be in denial. And may have made things much worse by allowing 14 guns into the small apartment. I don't understand that reasoning.

Regardless of what side of the debate a person is on about guns, I'm assuming the great majority of people are in agreement with two common sense things. If you have guns in your home, to keep them out of the reach of your kids and their friends, not a hard thing to do, and to me it would just be part of baby proofing your home. And doing the best you can to help your child with mental health issues. Doctors, therapy, medication, whatever it takes to help them. And I do know that isn't the easiest thing, and it is especially difficult if the child is over 18. But, now again, according to this new article, this mass murderer's mother, not only had guns around, but bragged about them. How do we instill common sense into some parents? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...open-carries-assault-rifles-mood-strikes.html

Was the shooter being treated for mental illness? If so I assume there is no ability for anyone outside of the family to assess the intelligence of having a number of weapons in the house? IF that is the case, then there is nothing you can do to install common sense into some parents, she's likely similarly disturbed as her son was.

She continued: 'And when the mood strikes, and as long as we're tossing around brand names, I sling an AR, Tek-9 or AK over my shoulder, or holster a Glock 21 (not 22), or one of my other handguns, like the Sig Sauer P226, and walk out the door. I find the shotguns are a little too cumbersome to open carry.'

Please tell me what "mood" would inspire this mother of a disturbed man to walk around in public with the guns she listed? I can understand the Glock or other handguns in a holster maybe, but not the rifles. Is she doing this just because she "can"? Is she trying to scare people? Or is she almost as disturbed as her son? She's worse than Adam Lanza's mother IMO. Totally irresponsible. I'm sure that responsible gun owners are appalled.
JMO

And I will say this...even though open carry of those weapons may be legal, if I see someone walking around my town carrying one, I'm calling the police to check on it. It might be a waste of their time...or it might save some lives. But you don't have the "right" to scare the cr** out of me with an AR just because you can! I have rights too! :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...open-carries-assault-rifles-mood-strikes.html

A suggestion on protection in the schools and colleges:

Why not use Dogs, Dogs and more Dogs? Guard Dogs - German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, etc? They can be trained to attack the "gun" and "hand/arm" that holds the guns. They're quick to act, and won't let go no matter what, even if they're shot.

Your thoughts?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...nois/17777089/

A few reasons:

Dogs aren't bullet proof (yes I realize their safety apparently isn't a consideration).

Simply CLOSING DOORS would protect the shooter from being taken down by an unaccompanied dog.

Protection/attack dogs work closely with handlers that direct them to the target. If they were set loose in a building with hundreds of people and no guidance there is a good chance they would choose the wrong target for whatever reason (likely out of excitement).

I really think that anything related to confronting a gunman should be left to law enforcement. I can't imagine any good could come from having armed guards on campus, the chances of the guard being in the right place at the right time and being able to get there before law enforcement is minimal .. also police are better trained, equipped etc ..

Also .. can people with mental issues buy numerous weapons without home checks being done? I don't think anyone on either side of the debate would think that is a safe situation.

Please tell me what "mood" would inspire this mother of a disturbed man to walk around in public with the guns she listed? I can understand the Glock or other handguns in a holster maybe, but not the rifles. Is she doing this just because she "can"? Is she trying to scare people? Or is she almost as disturbed as her son? She's worse than Adam Lanza's mother IMO. Totally irresponsible. I'm sure that responsible gun owners are appalled.
JMO

And I will say this...even though open carry of those weapons may be legal, if I see someone walking around my town carrying one, I'm calling the police to check on it. It might be a waste of their time...or it might save some lives. But you don't have the "right" to scare the cr** out of me with an AR just because you can! I have rights too! :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...open-carries-assault-rifles-mood-strikes.html

The mood might be because she's free to do it and likes to. Or maybe she's in a bad mood and needs to feel extra powerful that day. Maybe it makes her feel tough and scary.

Some people do it to be seen as a threat, like "If we can't open carry at this restaurant/store we won't eat/shop here."

I think some people believe it makes others feel safe, like if you're unarmed at the drug store and see Joe Schmoe with a gun you know you're safe in case a bad guy comes in and tries to rob the place.

JMO.

'Curious as to why the abrupt move from Torrance, CA to Oregon in 2013'..

<BBM for Focus>
'He had no friends. No-one came to visit him. 'He would just bike around the neighborhood by himself. His mom was a real nice lady. An African-American lady. She was a nurse. She was friendly and sociable.'

One neighbor remembers when his mom bought him a bicycle as a present
Reina described Harper-Mercer as 'childlike' and said he would throw temper-tantrums to get his own way.
'He was a grown man but would act very childish,' she said.
She added: 'He would have temper tantrums and fits if he didn't get his own way. He always wore combat boots, cargo shorts and T-shirts, too. Always the same outfit. It was a very military-type style. Camo or beige. His shorts would have a bunch of pockets.

'I always thought he was 'special needs' or something because of his off behavior. He never used the swimming pool here, either. Never.
'I always thought that was strange because when it's hot, it's really hot and it's the best thing to cool down.'
Reina said the family left abruptly in 2013.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ssault-rifles-mood-strikes.html#ixzz3nXg1gRK6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The mood might be because she's free to do it and likes to. Or maybe she's in a bad mood and needs to feel extra powerful that day. Maybe it makes her feel tough and scary.

Some people do it to be seen as a threat, like "If we can't open carry at this restaurant/store we won't eat/shop here."

I think some people believe it makes others feel safe, like if you're unarmed at the drug store and see Joe Schmoe with a gun you know you're safe in case a bad guy comes in and tries to rob the place.

JMO.

So basically there is no good reason other than to be a ****. I cannot imaging customers in a drug store feeling safe because there is some fool open carrying in there, I think most sensible people would be heading for the exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston