GUILTY OR - Pamela Wolosz, 52, killed, daughter injured, 12yo son charged, 10 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The father of an Ashland boy who allegedly murdered his mother and attacked his sister with a kitchen knife in Ashland as a 12-year-old last year is grateful that his son will remain in Oregon’s juvenile justice system.

In a statement issued today, Jim Holmes of Ashland said the juvenile system is “by far the best path” for Ezekiel “Zeke” Holmes, as well as “the right path to serve justice for my dead wife Pam Wolosz and my traumatized daughter Lydia Holmes.

More at link, but this means he will be released from the Oregon Youth Authority at age 25. In adult court the mandatory sentence would be 25 years.
Father says Ashland boy to plead to murdering his mother, attacking sister

More complete information about the attack:

Jackson County Deputy District Attorney Ruby Herriott, who prosecuted the case, said Wolosz was in the kitchen when Ezekiel Holmes came downstairs, picked up a knife in the kitchen and stabbed her. She suffered multiple stab wounds, including an injury to the back of the neck, Herriott said.

Ezekiel Holmes then started going back up the stairs, where he met his sister, she said.

“He stabs her multiple times,” Herriott said.

The sister’s injuries included stab wounds to the back, head, arm and shoulder, she said.

Wolosz then wrestled with her son for control of the knife, Herriott said.

“There was a struggle for the murder weapon between Mr. Holmes and his mother,” Herriott said.

Wolosz managed to get the knife away from her son, but then collapsed on the downstairs floor and died, Herriott said.

Ashland teen pleads guilty to murdering mother

What precipitated the attack has not been released yet.

I just can’t imagine having to go through this process as his Dad did.
Ezekiel Holmes pleads guilty to stabbing his mother, sister

"It takes some time to be able to go through all the processes that need to happen, so once we were able to do that...with his attorney he made the decision to make admissions to all three charges today," Deputy District Attorney Ruby Herriot said.

After seeking privacy for the last year and half, Jim was speaking freely outside the courthouse.

"I've got the victim's side," Jim said. "I've got the defense side. It's tough directions to be pulled in but he's still my son."

Something just popped into my head...

What If ZH was trying to stab his sister and his Mom intervened and was killed? I've assumed that PW was the target, but we don't really know, do we?
I suppose the fact that his sister wasn't killed before LE arrived would indicate that she wasn't the target, unless she managed to escape somehow and lock a door. I guess it's just slightly easier for me to imagine a sibling fight leading to a stabbing than a fight with Mom (not that any of it is imaginable). Of course it's possible they were both his targets. If so, was grandma next? What was he thinking?! Or feeling?

Quoting my post from near the beginning, FWIW it now appears from what I posted in #83 that ZH stabbed his mother first and then encountered his sister rather than the opposite. His mother wrestled the knife away and saved his sister’s life before she collapsed and died in the kitchen. So it wasn’t a sibling fight initially, but an attack on Mom. Either way is horrible. :(

IMO, he needs the same sentence as the Broken Arrow family killings--life.

A person convicted of murder in juvenile court can be kept in the custody of the Oregon Youth Authority until age 25.

IMO, he needs the same sentence as the Broken Arrow family killings--life.

A person convicted of murder in juvenile court can be kept in the custody of the Oregon Youth Authority until age 25.

I understand. I find it puzzling that at 25 he could be “all better” and ready to be unleashed upon society. However, he is still very young and has over 10 years of treatment ahead, in addition to what he may have received already. He also has a supportive family.
Oregon Youth Authority Treatment Services

The Broken Arrow killings were pre-meditated for a long time by older teens, with the motive of killing even more people. To me, there’s a big difference, so I wouldn’t compare their sentences. But I do hope ZH receives whatever help he needs and emerges ready to live his life in honor of his mother’s memory. That would show true rehabilitation and I hope it is possible.

Broken Arrow brothers who killed family wanted to be mass murderers, police testify

Monday, Oct. 15th:
*Sentencing Hearing - OR - Pamela Joanne Wolosz (52, died) mom, Lydia H. (16) sister injured (Jan. 10, 2017) - *Ezekiel "Zeke" H. (12) son accused of murder; juvenile court.
8/28/18 Update: Plead guilty to stabbing his mother & sister. Sentencing is 10/15.

14-year-old Ashland boy sentenced in mother's murder

Ezekiel "Zeke" Holmes, who was 12 at the time, will remain in the custody of the Oregon Youth Authority until he is 25, Judge Kelly Ravassipour ruled today in juvenile court.

Ezekiel will travel to the MacLaren Youth Correctional Facility in Woodburn on Tuesday, his father, Jim Holmes, said in a prepared statement. Ezekiel's family and defense attorneys are hopeful he will spend his sentence at the Rogue Valley Youth Correctional Facility in Grants Pass, though that is not yet confirmed.

Ezekiel declined to speak, but his defense attorneys said he had made significant progress since his arrest.

"The kid that I first met is a totally different kid," attorney Jeni Feinberg said.

Jim Holmes said he believes with the appropriate treatment, Ezekiel "will not be a threat to his sister or anyone in society when he leaves the juvenile system at age 25."

This case is a horrible tragedy, and it seems that the sentence is appropriate. I hope the entire family can continue to heal and love each other. I hope that ZH will grow up and do positive things with his life, to honor the life of his mother that he ended so violently.

More about the sentencing from KOBI, including the full text of his father’s very moving letter. He mentions positive activities ZH was involved in before killing his mother.

However, of note IMO is the information revealed by the D.A. that ZH had been (quoting):

“watching very violent games and reading violent graphic novels for a period of time.” He didn’t have a history of violence prior to the crime.

At the time of the stabbing, the boy’s mother, Pamela Wolosz, his grandmother and sister were all inside their home. There didn’t appear to be anything out of the ordinary, prosecutors said. While they didn’t provide a clear motive, the district attorney’s office said the boy’s mother took away his computer due to a poor grade in school.

The judge made this comment:

Judge Ravassipour said this has been an extremely difficult case and no words could describe the anguish and betrayal felt by the family,” the district attorney’s office wrote. “She commented that no finding of a psychotic disorder leaves a chilling effect on this courtroom.” The judge also expressed concern about the type of video games the boy was being exposed to.

Ashland boy who murdered his mother sentenced - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

I have to agree with the judge that it is “chilling” that ZH, a boy with no psychiatric disorder, from a loving family, involved in positive activities and with no history of violence, would commit such an act. The violent video games he was watching came up early in this case on WS and have now been confirmed. Although many disagree, IMO violent games, books, etc. can, in certain people, break down barriers to action under certain circumstances. It seems to me that in ZH’s case this is what happened. JMO, MOO

OR - Pamela Wolosz, 52, killed, daughter injured, 12yo son charged, 10 Jan 2017

We now know that his mother took away his computer because of a bad grade. Early on this thread, we wondered if ZH was mentally ill or came from an abusive home. I think this post by @oceanblueeyes made good points. Quoting in part:

During the past years of reading numerous cases where a young offender tries or does murder his parent/siblings or both the motives seem to be more based in narcissistic behavior or having a conduct deviance disorder or some type of other disorder which doesn't prevent them from knowing right from wrong.

Children who are abused rarely murder anyone much less attempting to murder other family members. In a lot of these cases the defendant came from a good home and were fully supported by his/her parents yet they seem to fly into a murderous rage over something totally trivial.

We have seen children murder a parent/s because their x-box or computer was taken away...

OR - Pamela Wolosz, 52, killed, daughter injured, 12yo son charged, 10 Jan 2017

Although these facts, thoughts and opinions will never bring Pamela Wolosz back or heals her family’s deep wounds, I hope looking objectively at all the angles of this horrible case can give us insight we can apply in other cases.

My heart goes out to all who loved Pamela.

I looked for any update about how this family was doing, but I couldn’t find anything. I’m not sure what I was expecting to find, but I guess I just wanted to see signs of healing. A horrible tragedy!

I looked for any update about how this family was doing, but I couldn’t find anything. I’m not sure what I was expecting to find, but I guess I just wanted to see signs of healing. A horrible tragedy!

They've been on my mind lately, too. I think of the trauma they've endured and hope they are healing as best as can be expected.

He may be neither. One doesn't have to be mentally disturbed to do something like this.

During the past years of reading numerous cases where a young offender tries or does murder his parent/siblings or both the motives seem to be more based in narcissistic behavior or having a conduct deviance disorder or some type of other disorder which doesn't prevent them from knowing right from wrong..

Children who are abused rarely murder anyone much less attempting to murder other family members. In a lot of these cases the defendant came from a good home and were fully supported by his/her parents yet they seem to fly into a murderous rage over something totally trivial.

We have seen children murder a parent/s because their x-box or computer was taken away when they were grounded or because they did not want to do chores or adhere to any rules and guidelines the parents had set forth for them to follow. We have seen where a young murderer would fly into a rage if someone in the home touches something they believe is solely their own material property.. even killing their younger sibling for touching it and the nonsensical motives go on and on. We have also seen cases where the young offenders didn't get their way about something and they flew into a murderous rage.

I haven't seen anything to support this young killer came from an abusive home with abusive parents.

What I have seen in most of these recent youthful offenders is many had the 'me, me, me' syndrome and they cant accept the word 'no.'

You are right. We are no closer to being able to predict beforehand if someone will become a murderer or not.

Its alarming that we are now seeing murderers even as young as 8 or 9 years old and most of them show absolutely no remorse for what they have done nor do they ever express any remorse while even admitting they had good parents when being interviewed in prison.
One can be mentally disturbed and legally sane at the same time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back