OR OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 Jul 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) No way could he have pulled off ten years of adverse possession, IMO. However I don't know for a fact it would have to be ten years, I don't know the law in Oregon. I don't even know what it is here to be honest. First of all, it's such a rare thing to begin with. I'm not sure in 7 years I ever saw an adverse possession case. I've seen frauds go down and the police get involved (also rare), I've seen lots of things, but never that.

2) I don't know enough about Oregon law to say about the lease. I know that during the mortgage meltdown it was an issue that came up. Tenants with valid leases who were stunned to learn their properties had been foreclosed upon because their landlords had not been paying their mortgages. There were enough displaced people in some of the harder hit locales that discussions about strengthening tenants rights protections in the law were discussed, but I was getting out of the business by then, so I really don't know what became of it in different areas. One thing is that it wouldn't mean he would get to stay there forever.

3) The person holding a second mortgage is usually pretty out of luck in a foreclosure. The first and best lien in a foreclosure is- you guessed it - the government. Usually this means any local real estate taxes owed get paid first, but it can also apply to federal or state liens for unpaid taxes, child support liens, etc. Once the government gets theirs then the order is the order the liens were filed. So the first mortgage would get paid first, then the second mortgage. Foreclosures usually auction off for below their appraised value if they sell at all, so after the government gets theirs and the attorneys fees, sheriff's fees, etc. the first mortgage holder doesn't even get all their money and the second mortgage guy has to write it all of as loss.

The whole produce the note thing is a real deal. The two most important things in a loan closing package are the note and the mortgage. The mortgage gets filed at the county so if it is lost the county can always produce a certified copy for legal purposes. The note gets sent directly back to the lender. Except when it doesn't. Or when it does and they lose it. Or they sell it to another bank and the other bank loses it. This happened in the past. A lot. One of the title companies I worked at was less organized then the others and I know every now and then I found an original note lying in a file. Worse, this was months or years down the road and the lender had never even called about it - they didn't even notice they never recieved it until I sent it to them. Yes, if your lender can't produce the note you can fight the foreclosure. However, you'll never really know unless you get to foreclosure, so it's a really, REALLY bad idea to just stop paying your mortgage because maybe you will be the one out of 100 whose note they can't find.

I can't think of a reason why he would have wanted her to stop paying her mortgage unless he wanted her to just have more money around to spend on him, or more money sitting in her bank account. It would be pretty delusional, IMO, to think a strategy cobbled together out of some of these legal elements would actually work in this case.

If he was seriously looking at an adverse possession strategy it's worth noting that if the owner of the land occupies or uses the land, adverse possession cannot be claimed. (According to Wikipedia, lol. Like I said, I haven't had any experience with adverse possession.) Again all of this from a non-lawyer, not giving legal advice, just stating what I believe to be true.

If you are renting/leasing a house from the owner and the owner fails to make mortgage payments, isn't there a process where the tenant can then make their rental payments direct to the mortgage holder and stay in the property - effectively, cutting out the owner and preventing the house being foreclosed?

I am sure I heard about that in another case somewhere. I think all they had to do was prove they did make their rental payments to the owner - in POI's case, maybe that would explain the odd statements about his money being in Stephanie's account?

I wonder if any owner then disappeared without a will, but the tenant continued making the mortgage payments and living there, if the house would eventually become theirs?

Does anyone know if Stephanie would walk distances in the area around her home, or did she tend to drive to a favorite spot, and then walk around there? I'm almost certain the answer is the former, but thought I'd better ask.

Stephanie was a hard worker and a walker, but she liked to drive to a position, then walk around. Her SUV was kind of a drivable security blanket. It was kept VERY clean and everything was kept up to date on it!

My next door neighbors also happen to be my best friends. He is an amazing inventor (every time you swipe your credit card, you use some of his brilliant technology). When they heard about Stephanie and that I was stepping up to find her, they decided to surround our conjoint properties with state of the art, covert, video surveillance systems that have some sort of heat sensor technology. He says we'll know when one of our cats burp! The new fencing will also keep out the bears, deer and cougars, as well as any unwanted elements. A company came from Eugene last week and were running around measuring and deciding where to place camera's, fences, sensors, etc. I'll be able to monitor the property from my computers, my TV, even my PHONE! WoWzA!

My next door neighbors also happen to be my best friends. He is an amazing inventor (every time you swipe your credit card, you use some of his brilliant technology). When they heard about Stephanie and that I was stepping up to find her, they decided to surround our conjoint properties with state of the art, covert, video surveillance systems that have some sort of heat sensor technology. He says we'll know when one of our cats burp! The new fencing will also keep out the bears, deer and cougars, as well as any unwanted elements. A company came from Eugene last week and were running around measuring and deciding where to place camera's, fences, sensors, etc. I'll be able to monitor the property from my computers, my TV, even my PHONE! WoWzA!

You go girl! Glad to see you are protecting yourself. Stay safe!

:modstop:

All negative comments about law enforcement are to end immediately! We do NOT know what is going on behind closed doors. Unless there is mainstream media evidence to the contrary, we are to consider law enforcement as being on Steph's side - which means they are on OUR side. If the negative remarks about LE continue, the thread will be closed so that we are not hampering the investigation.

I'm not going off topic here - but I am posting a link about Peregrines.

http://www.briloon.org/oae/webcams/peregrinecam

Live wildlife webcams. People love them. People all over the world watch them. Especially when they can't hope to ever catch a glimpse of a bear or bobcat or something in their own garden. They can end being viewed 24 hours a day with all the different time zones. Someone's always there to grab a screen shot.

Live cameras are only as effective as the number of people watching them, I think.

Stephanie was a hard worker and a walker, but she liked to drive to a position, then walk around. Her SUV was kind of a drivable security blanket. It was kept VERY clean and everything was kept up to date on it!

So unlikely she could have been persuaded to take a walk with someone in the area where her house is? A sort of local stroll?

Has anyone seen the video about Stephanie from Jackson County Sheriff's Office? It was issued on the 10th Oct. I can't view it on my tablet.

http://jacksoncountyor.org/sheriff/General/Media/PressReleases.aspx

JACKSON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
PRESS RELEASE
5179 Crater Lake Highway,
Central Point, Oregon 97502 ∙ (541) 774-6800
www.jacksoncountyor.org/sheriff
Stephanie Anne Warner Video
Friends and family of Stephanie Warner have put tog
ether a video regarding her case. They asked that
we share the link to the video with the public. The
video is posted on You Tube and can be accessed by
searching for “Stephanie Anne Warner” or by clickin
g the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDakDoSz9s

:seeya:

Oh, I see. I thought it was a police, press briefing video. I have seen that one. Thanks though!

So unlikely she could have been persuaded to take a walk with someone in the area where her house is? A sort of local stroll?

The early reports said that LE had searched with SAR dogs around her property and she hadn't left on foot. They also used a cadaver dog , did grid searches in various places and flew a helicopter along the river. This all happened July 10-11. There was no trace of her. Other than in late August near POI's camp, I'm not sure what other dog searches have been done.

I'm not going off topic here - but I am posting a link about Peregrines.

http://www.briloon.org/oae/webcams/peregrinecam

Live wildlife webcams. People love them. People all over the world watch them. Especially when they can't hope to ever catch a glimpse of a bear or bobcat or something in their own garden. They can end being viewed 24 hours a day with all the different time zones. Someone's always there to grab a screen shot.

Live cameras are only as effective as the number of people watching them, I think.

My husband and I got addicted to watching barn owls Molly and McGee raise their babies in an owl box near San Diego a few years ago. It was quite an internet sensation.

A wildlife webcam in Stephanie's area could be a valuable resource. I googled looking for a possible list, but didn't find one. I wonder if she had one on her property.

I never knew her to take a local stroll. She'd walk up to ExBF's home when they were together (he lives next door), but she hadn't been there since last December. Stephie told me about the last time she visited ExBF (last December, briefly), then by chance, ExBF gave me the same information after Stephanie was missing. The stories they both gave me were specific, detailed & matched.

My husband and I got addicted to watching barn owls Molly and McGee raise their babies in an owl box near San Diego a few years ago. It was quite an internet sensation.

A wildlife webcam in Stephanie's area could be a valuable resource. I googled looking for a possible list, but didn't find one. I wonder if she had one on her property.

No Webcam, sorry... That would have been a GREAT LEAD! You're right about them, they can become VERY addicting! We used to watch a family of bears; the cubs were adorable!

There seems to be a lot of game cameras and migration cameras around but searching through those hunting sites is too much for this veggie.

I wonder what sort of timeline LE have managed to pin down now? Taking into account Stephanie's and the POI? That could be more helpful than anything in defining some sort of area where she could be. Do we have any idea about police attitude towards public searches for Stephanie at the moment?

I get a real feeling from the odds and ends I have seen about POI that he really likes a lot of control. If he knows where Stephanie is, I think it is possible he has returned to that place sometime.

I deer-cam'd my garden once to find it was a little cat biting up my tomatoes!

I deer-cam'd my garden once to find it was a little cat biting up my tomatoes!

No camera here, but based on the scats, it was a large mouse or a rat biting ours. Needless to say, even the untouched tomatoes are getting a good scrub before eating. Yuck!

There seems to be a lot of game cameras and migration cameras around but searching through those hunting sites is too much for this veggie.

I wonder what sort of timeline LE have managed to pin down now? Taking into account Stephanie's and the POI? That could be more helpful than anything in defining some sort of area where she could be. Do we have any idea about police attitude towards public searches for Stephanie at the moment?

I get a real feeling from the odds and ends I have seen about POI that he really likes a lot of control. If he knows where Stephanie is, I think it is possible he has returned to that place sometime.

There are a couple of signs on the gate to Steohanie's property that say something like "Smile! You're on camera." But I did not see any obvious cameras. Perhaps Dicentra knows.

We have not been given a timeline. The last time she was actually seen is supposed to have been around noon July 4 in Ashland. Dicentra has mentioned a late afternoon stop at a store. She hasn't said where it is or how she knows. We don't know where Stephanie was before stopping at the store. Ames said they parted at the Ruch store around 5:00 but to my knowledge that has never been verified.

Although we've been told that Stephanie's off-road SUV was used from late evening to early morning July 4-5, we've never been told the length of time from start to stop (back at her house) or the start and stop times. That would help a lot, although we don't know the starting point. It may not have been her house if they detoured up into the mountains on the way home. We assume LE has this info because Stephanie's car had an alcohol monitor she had to blow into for the car to start.

There has never been any request for the public to help with a search. There were some SAR searches, but nothing organized by her friends that I know of. How is that done? Not volunteering, just curious.

I agree that POI has probably returned at some point to where Stephanie is, if he knows.

I posted earlier in the thread wondering if Cantrall Buckley Park near Stephanie's had been searched with a cadaver dog. Yesterday my husband and I drove out to Ruch. We visited the park, and even though it's convenient, I doubt she is there. The day use section is gated at sunset and the campground probably would have been pretty full July 4. Of course, anything is possible, but I think the mountains are more likely.

We drove by Stephanie's and we could see her house clearly for the first time, since the leaves are falling from the trees that shield it from the road. The "dig" shows signs of the recent activity by LE that Dicentra reported. We hadn't been able to see it clearly in September, but based on FB photos, the sides look more straight and precise now.

We stopped at the store, but there was no news. The flier is still displayed prominently on the bulletin board outside.

Seeing Stephanie's house made me sad. I never knew her, but I feel like I do now. I wish she could be found.

The linked article discusses how JCSO missing person protocol changed after Sheriff Mike Winters took office. The changes were partly in response to the assumption in 1996 that 15 year old Kaelin Glazier of Ruch, had run away. Her murdered remains were found 12 years later. It doesn't sound like the changes applied only to missing children.

Stephanie's habit of calling her mother and Dicentra, the condition of her home, her car and animals on July 7 was "highly unusual or suspicious in consideration of the subject’s behavior patterns, plans or routines" quoting the article below. According to the policy, Stephanie would have been considered "at risk" until there was information to the contrary.

As Detective Fagan put it, quoted below, "Hope is not a strategy. You can't get that time back."

This is not meant as a criticism of JCSO. It was probably already too late for Stephanie as it was for Kaelin, but it's good info for all of us who live here to file away. JMO MOO

BBM

The policy changes required deputies to step out of their “Mayberry” mindset and face the grim realities of missing children cases, Fagan said. The sheriff’s department now thoroughly investigates all reports of missing persons. And every person reported as missing is considered to be “at risk” until significant information to the contrary is confirmed, he said.

There is now no required waiting period for reporting a missing person. A person may be declared “missing” when his or her whereabouts are unknown and unexplainable for a period of time that is regarded by knowledgeable persons as highly unusual or suspicious in consideration of the subject’s behavior patterns, plans or routines, Fagan said.

“I can’t emphasize this enough: Hope is not a strategy. You can’t get that time back,” Fagan said.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20120220/NEWS0107/202200351/##

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members