OR OR - Union Co, Finley Creek Jane Doe, UnsFem 14-25, UP11902, preg, on wooded hillside, Aug'78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Any new exclusions?

Nancy Baird and Edna Thorne both looked pretty promising.

Original
77722.jpg

Edna Thorne

We're unlikely to have updates for either Nancy or Edna this soon. An exclusion might come quickly, but confirmation will likely take months if not years.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MP6061 Teresa Fittin 08/01/1975 Broward FL
MP836 Laura Flink 02/21/1969 Grays Harbor WA
MP1698 Melanie Flynn 02/26/1977 Fayette KY
MP7780 Rita Jolly 06/29/1973 Clackamas OR
MP2064 Patricia Otto 09/02/1976 Nez Perce ID
MP6496 Laurie Partridge 12/04/1974 Spokane WA

Another possibility due to some physical resemblance.
Lynette Dawn Culver
upload_2021-4-12_16-27-18.pngupload_2021-4-12_16-30-15.png
Went missing from Pocatello, Idaho on May 5, 1975. (6 hours away from finley creek)
Height: 5'3''
She is a suspected victim of Ted Bundy. Who claims he put her in the snake river.
Lynette Culver

Ellen L. McCullum Drake
upload_2021-4-12_16-53-32.png
Went missing from Portland, Oregon.
Height: 5'5''
Not much is known about her disappearance. She divorced her husband.Moved from Missouri to Oregon. Then her husband essentially went to Oregon, and left, alone, with their son. Son still lives in Missouri.

Deborah Lee Tomlinson
upload_2021-4-12_17-2-18.png
Went missing at age 16 October 15, 1973.
Height: 5'5''
She ran away with a friend. There is no records that I found that says who this friend was.
Or if the friend has been found.

None of these are on the NamUs rule out list

Just read about Finley Jane. I decided to do some research regarding the clothes she was wearing to see if I could narrow down her PMI. (I AM NOT A FASHION HISTORIAN!) I found the following fashion facts to be important:
  • Ankle boots (similar to those she was wearing) were the epitome of fashion from 1974-1976
  • Exotic patterns were popular around 1975, as well as pastel colors
  • The halter top was starting to die out around 1976
So what do these random facts mean? Based on fashion in the mid 70s and JD's clothes, I feel she probably died between 1974-1976.

I also feel a certain resemblance to Sherry Jean Pickle, but I still stay with Nancy Perry Baird but I don't know what you think

Have you seen this child?

The Doe Network: Case File 1099DFCA

Sherry Jean Pickle – The Charley Project
Sherry Jean Pickle was ruled out by Oregon State Police in 1988 according to the case records. I sent this to NamUs for them to update the profile a year ago, but that has not been done.

Hi all!

I just wanted to jump on here and give a little intro - I'm "Mel" that Jason Futch keeps referring to in prior posts. I run FCJD's Facebook and Instagram pages and Jason has handed off coordination of efforts between our research group and Dr. Vance to me. If you have any questions at all about the case, please feel free to ask! I also wanted to give a couple of updates about a few things y'all have been discussing:

Nancy Perry Baird is clearly a great potential match! So much so that Dr. Vance actually reached out to me to see if I can assist her in digging up some background about her case because the dental comparisons are not quite enough to rule her in or out definitively. So, I've been in contact with the Utah Cold Case Coalition who is actively working Nancy's case and we are coordinating efforts to see if we can get to the bottom of it together. If anyone out there has background info on Nancy beyond the surface stuff that can be found online, please reach out!

Also, NamUs is an AMAZING tool! That being said, it's not a definitive nor a completely up-to-date source for rule outs or other information about FCJD's description or circumstances. I know Jason has posted the case file so that can be referred to for questions or you are more than welcome to ask me anything that I can clarify. We do have scene photographs that we will not post but we can refer to them for questions, as well. The most up-to-date info about the case will be on her Facebook page, "Finley Creek Jane Doe - Elgin, OR".

Finally, a tiny bit of potentially good news - I've been able to locate some older, unmarked and undocumented cremains at the coroner's office in the city where FCJD was cremated. All that is on the packaging is a partial sticker from the funeral home/crematorium where she was sent to be cremated. Dr. Vance has this information and has let me know she will check in to it as soon as she can.

Fingers crossed and keep Finley and child in your thoughts! Y'all do amazing work here.

~Mel

Any new exclusions?

Nancy Baird and Edna Thorne both looked pretty promising.

Hi! I work closely with Dr. Vance on this case and I'm happy to report a few things:

Extra digging is being done on Nancy Perry Baird; the dentals have been compared but are not sufficient to rule in or out on their own.

Edna Thorne has been submitted numerous times to numerous agencies so hopefully that will be a good push to get her compared.

In 2020 several missing persons were able to be ruled out as being Finley Creek Jane Doe, either by dental comparison or other means (NamUs is a little behind):

Robyn Ann Mettinato
Jamie Grissim
Wanda Herr (her remains were identified elsewhere via DNA)

Also - Sherry Jean Pickle was ruled out in 1988 via dental records in the original investigation before the case was closed.

Is it possible that this woman was from Washington or Idaho? Union Co. is close enough to the state line that it makes it a possibility IMO.

For convenience.

This are the rule outs visible in Namus as of April 21, 2021, posted by Carbuff.
MP6061 Teresa Fittin 08/01/1975 Broward FL
MP836 Laura Flink 02/21/1969 Grays Harbor WA
MP1698 Melanie Flynn 02/26/1977 Fayette KY
MP7780 Rita Jolly 06/29/1973 Clackamas OR
MP2064 Patricia Otto 09/02/1976 Nez Perce ID
MP6496 Laurie Partridge 12/04/1974 Spokane WA

Added by MBJ 'Mel', not yet visible in Namus

Ruled out in 1988
Sherry Jean Pickle, via dentals 05/16/1972 Long Beach, California
Sherry Jean Pickle – The Charley Project

Ruled out in 202o
Robyn Ann Pettinato 07/05/1975 Whitefish, Montana Robyn Ann Pettinato – The Charley Project
Jamie Rochelle Grisim 12/07/197 Vancouver, Washington Jamie Rochelle Grisim – The Charley Project
Wanda Herr (resolved, her remains were identified elsewhere via DNA)
Wanda Ann Herr – The Charley Project

Possible matches:
- Nancy Perry Baird 07/04/1975, East Layton, Utah (under investigation)
Nancy Perry Baird – The Charley Project
- Edna Thorne (no comparison done as of May 2, 2021) 06/24/1975, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Edna Christine Thorne – The Charley Project

Is it possible that this woman was from Washington or Idaho? Union Co. is close enough to the state line that it makes it a possibility IMO.
Oh, absolutely...with how prevalent hitchhiking was in the '70s, this woman could have been from ANYWHERE. While her body was found in the woods, I-84 runs directly through La Grande. And I don't believe she was from this area because Oregon State Police investigated whether anyone local had gone missing and could find no evidence of that. Now granted - if she was over 17 or 18, maybe her family wouldn't have reported her missing. But this is one of those areas where everyone knows everyone else AND their business. I've submitted potential matches from all over the country and Canada, so I would absolutely NOT rule someone out based on geography.

RE-EVALUATING A RULE OUT

I was contacted by Suzanne, whose mother, Patricia Lee Otto, is on the list of missing persons that have been ruled out as being FCJD. Her question to me: How was my mother ruled out? Was it because of the pregnancy? Off the top I knew that was NOT it but I told her I would check the files. When I did - I found nothing. The only reason I knew Patty had been ruled out was because NamUs said so.

Since then I have gotten a wealth of information about Patty from Suzanne - some backstory, photos, dental x-rays - the latter of which had a handwritten note ON THE ENVELOPE noting dental work that had been done AFTER the x-rays were taken. This was a revelation in itself as I realized (while at my dentist) that if I were to go missing today, my own x-rays do NOT match the work that has been done to my teeth. This made a note found in Patty’s missing person file saying that her x-rays don’t match the dental records of the remains found in La Grande seem a bit irrelevant.

Patty and Suzanne resemble FCJD so much that it is eerie. With Suzanne’s permission, I am posting the photos she sent me of (from left to right) Patty, FCJD, and herself and the note “ruling out” her mother as being FCJD.

And believe me when I tell y’all that this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding information that Suzanne and I have exchanged and discovered this week. After I’ve done a bit more digging, I will let you all in on some long-held secrets.

For now, we have focused on re-examining the physical attributes of Patty Otto and comparing them to FCJD. Dr. Vance, Suzanne, and the FCJD Task Force are ON THIS and hope to find out soon what the results are. Also, I’ve received word that Dr. Vance is going to collect the cremains from the “coroner’s office next door” to TRY to test for DNA. This is amazing news that we are excited (yet cautious!) about and we hope that it will lead to some definitive answers one way or the other.

The journey continues and we could NOT do this work without you. THANK YOU!

Attachments

• B.W.Otto.Timms.jpeg
    B.W.Otto.Timms.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 72
  • received_1134966213650448.jpeg
    received_1134966213650448.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 62
RE-EVALUATING A RULE OUT

I was contacted by Suzanne, whose mother, Patricia Lee Otto, is on the list of missing persons that have been ruled out as being FCJD. Her question to me: How was my mother ruled out? Was it because of the pregnancy? Off the top I knew that was NOT it but I told her I would check the files. When I did - I found nothing. The only reason I knew Patty had been ruled out was because NamUs said so.

Since then I have gotten a wealth of information about Patty from Suzanne - some backstory, photos, dental x-rays - the latter of which had a handwritten note ON THE ENVELOPE noting dental work that had been done AFTER the x-rays were taken. This was a revelation in itself as I realized (while at my dentist) that if I were to go missing today, my own x-rays do NOT match the work that has been done to my teeth. This made a note found in Patty’s missing person file saying that her x-rays don’t match the dental records of the remains found in La Grande seem a bit irrelevant.

Patty and Suzanne resemble FCJD so much that it is eerie. With Suzanne’s permission, I am posting the photos she sent me of (from left to right) Patty, FCJD, and herself and the note “ruling out” her mother as being FCJD.

And believe me when I tell y’all that this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding information that Suzanne and I have exchanged and discovered this week. After I’ve done a bit more digging, I will let you all in on some long-held secrets.

For now, we have focused on re-examining the physical attributes of Patty Otto and comparing them to FCJD. Dr. Vance, Suzanne, and the FCJD Task Force are ON THIS and hope to find out soon what the results are. Also, I’ve received word that Dr. Vance is going to collect the cremains from the “coroner’s office next door” to TRY to test for DNA. This is amazing news that we are excited (yet cautious!) about and we hope that it will lead to some definitive answers one way or the other.

This is a very interesting development. Patty really looks a lot like the recon. All of those involved; the best of luck! Keep up the good work.

RE-EVALUATING A RULE OUT

Whoa! You weren't kidding when you said that the resemblance was eerie! I can definitely see why this possible match is being reevaluated.

RE-EVALUATING A RULE OUT

Very interesting. It would be interesting to know in more detail how she was ruled out on the dentals. If she was ruled out because there was more dental work on the UID that wasn’t present in the x-rays, maybe that comparison should be re-made. Of course, there could be differences in the dental work as well.
Still, interesting.

Let’s hope there is usable DNA in the cremains.

Rule outs as of 6/15/2021:

Exclusions
Thumbnail

Melanie Flynn
Missing Person / NamUs # MP1698, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact February 26, 1977
State KY
County Fayette

Thumbnail

Patricia Otto
Missing Person / NamUs # MP2064, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact September 2, 1976
State ID
County Nez Perce

Thumbnail

Rita Jolly
Missing Person / NamUs # MP7780, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 29, 1973
State OR
County Clackamas

Thumbnail

Laura Flink
Missing Person / NamUs # MP836, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact February 21, 1969
State WA
County Grays Harbor

Teresa Fittin
Missing Person / NamUs # MP6061, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact August 1, 1975
State FL
County Broward

Laurie Partridge
Missing Person / NamUs # MP6496, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact December 4, 1974
State WA
County Spokane

I reached out to the Doe Network on March 1 to rule out Edna Thorne. They are having the panel do a comparison. No ETA.
The Doe Network

1258UFOR

No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: August 27, 1978
Location of Discovery: Finley Creek, Union County, Oregon
Estimated Date of Death: Years prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 14-18 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: 5'1" to 5'3"
Weight: 115-125 lbs.
Hair Color: Light brown to blonde
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She was pregnant, and likely in her 6th to 8th month of pregnancy.
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: A halter/bra, red Catalina pants (size 15/16 - Juniors?) - which show evidence of possible length alteration, ankle-high lace up shoes, and remnants of clothing that consisted of red cloth, white cloth, and zippers.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Case History

The victim's body was found in a wooded hillside 18 miles north of La Grande.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Union County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
Agency Phone Number: 971-673-8220
Agency Case Number: ME: 78-1865
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #11902
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

NAMUS The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Is it possible that she is the victim of Terry Peder Rasmussen and possibly the mother of his child found murdered in Baer Park? The child was estimated to be 2-4 years and was killed possibly between 1978-1984. He was an electrician and has strangled victims with items used for his profession before. He was also seen with a woman and child before
The Doe Network

1258UFOR

No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: August 27, 1978
Location of Discovery: Finley Creek, Union County, Oregon
Estimated Date of Death: Years prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 14-18 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: 5'1" to 5'3"
Weight: 115-125 lbs.
Hair Color: Light brown to blonde
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She was pregnant, and likely in her 6th to 8th month of pregnancy.
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: A halter/bra, red Catalina pants (size 15/16 - Juniors?) - which show evidence of possible length alteration, ankle-high lace up shoes, and remnants of clothing that consisted of red cloth, white cloth, and zippers.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Case History

The victim's body was found in a wooded hillside 18 miles north of La Grande.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Union County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
Agency Phone Number: 971-673-8220
Agency Case Number: ME: 78-1865
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #11902
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

NAMUS The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back