GUILTY OR - Whitney Heichel, 21, Gresham, 16 Oct 2012 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime reader here, though I rarely post. But I want to say I will miss your keen observations and logical dissemination of the information regarding Whitney's murder. You have been a voice of reason, and I appreciate your efforts to stay tethered to the truth.

A mere thank you didn't seem adequate. Very well said. *smiles*

As an aside and for a little levity.... Does anybody besides me wish they could change their poster name for different posts and just leave it at the bottom? I've noticed "Really?", "Maybe", "Bravo" and have been envious. How about "Seriously?" or "No Way".
or even "LOL"!

I'm not big on those names, but I'd change mine to Caffeinelyn! :silly:

LOL Glad ya like my name. I was trying to think of one and channel surfing at the same time. Thus the name "Bravo" :seeya:

Thanks for that update, Quester! Wow, that's a long time away. I'm wondering what this means...that he's not going to plead guilty and they are planning some sort of defense?

Or is this just the scheduling "norm" giving them leeway to enter a guilty or work a plea deal?

Forgive my memory, but did the DA say he's seeking the death penalty or is that still an open question? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

All good questions, Boodles! We seem to have very little info from the DA beyond the multiple charges. No indication yet that I’ve read as to whether or not the DA will seek the DP.

I believe in cases where the DP is a possibility, there may be psychological assessments that must be done. [Anyone, please correct if wrong. TIA] This may be a reason for some of the delay.

I think it might have been posted but thank you for sharing it.

It really speaks to the heart of the matter doesn't it? While we can get very specific about details and timelines and motivations, at the end of the day, this wonderful, loving family lost their daughter, sister, wife.

Life has changed for them forever because of the heinous act of another but they still have their faith in humanity intact. It is so heartwarming to know they havent been robbed of that also. It really speaks to why Whitney was so special to so many when we see the family that she came from and the character being displayed now under such a hard time.

What a cool outpouring how this young woman captured Americans everywhere.
Yeah, it's such a senseless crime. I have no idea of how the Heichels, Ritmillers are able to deal with this, especially as the holidays are around the corner. And apparently, you get the feeling her large extended family had so many plans during the holidays.

To take out someone with decades of living ahead of her and her husband together.

Dreams, Goals, Commitments to do for others and themselves, all gone on the whims of a punch drunk killer.

While the rest of us sleep soundly, continue on our lives without the fears, nightmares, grief, never ending sadness, that probably creep into these family's thoughts, I can only wish that God be at their sides to spare them of their anxieties, worries.

God Bless

[QUOTE=Desdemona;8555438]Under the circumstances unfolding the day Whitney disappeared, I believe the discovery of her sweater on the road out to Dodge Park would have caused concern regardless of its condition.

So far it's not been stated that there was any blood evidence on the sweater AFAIK, but I personally can see it's discovery causing special concern regardless. JMO[/QUOTE]

Maybe I missed this, but WHAT made the searchers know the sweater belonged to WH?

How did they know it was hers?

Did it have WH's monogrammed name on it like some people do?

Thanks for someone explaining this.

BBM
Xavier I disagree with your assumption that JH stopped at the gas station with the intent to fill the tank. He would not need a full tank to get to Larch Mountain from the Shell Station. I believe the distance is only about 10-15 miles each way. If the Explorer averages 15MPG, it would take a couple gallons to get up to Larch and back to the Walmart. He also would have been freaked out, as you say, and in a hurry to dispose of Whitney's body and dump the Explorer and other evidence. That does not lend itself, IMO, to someone then pulling into the gas station, saying "fill it up" and then waiting the interminable minutes while the tank is filled.

If JH had pulled in and asked for the tank to be filled, once the attendant had started the filling process s/he most likely would have walked away to help another customer. Under your theory, JH would have then seen someone at the gas station that he knew and decided he needed to get out of that gas station fast. So without drawing any more attention to a vehicle with a broken out passenger window and possibly a dead woman in the back seat under a pile of table linens, JH would have called for the attendant and asked to stop the fill-up, OR JH would have gotten out of the Explorer (possibly with blood on his clothes), removed the nozzle from the tank himself (which by then would have alarmed the attendant) and hurriedly driven off. Each of those scenarios draws more attention to Holt and the Explorer, not less.

Putting myself in Holt's place, once I knew I needed gas for the Explorer, I would have wanted to get in and out of that gas station as quickly as possible and draw as little attention to myself as possible. That would have been my intent the moment I pulled up to the pump. I would not have risked longer exposure by choosing to sit there a good five or ten minutes or so while the tank was being filled.

Thanks for your explanation. There are all kinds of possibilities that we have to find out by the far away trial date.

Here's a link that some of you may not have read.

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2012/10/whitney_heichels_accused_kille.html

In 44 pages outlining the case against accused killer Jonathan Holt, Gresham police paint the picture of a young man who was acting erratically -- dumping guns, ammunition boxes and apparently bloody linens in public places -- in the hours and days after 21-year-old Whitney Heichel went missing.

Holt's wife, Amanda Holt told detectives that her husband "said he just felt like he was a failure," that he lets "so many things build up I think he just loses it." Amanda Holt said she was having a hard time believing her husband's story of being robbed, according to the affidavits.

Thanks for that update, Quester! Wow, that's a long time away. I'm wondering what this means...that he's not going to plead guilty and they are planning some sort of defense?

Or is this just the scheduling "norm" giving them leeway to enter a guilty or work a plea deal?

Forgive my memory, but did the DA say he's seeking the death penalty or is that still an open question? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

Not sure about the death penalty, but I thought he already plead "not guilty" that Monday, the 26th - here's a screenshot of google cache of an article I found:

Screenshot2012-11-14at90143PM-1.jpg

Found another article, too:

“The man accused of shooting and killing Whitney Heichel is pleading not guilty.”
http://www.kptv.com/story/19924889/whitney-heichel-murder-suspect-due-in-court-today

SO while we wait for trial with no additional evidence forthcoming

what do we think of JH's mental status prior to the act?

Here are a few details

bullied in school

played football maybe(?)

peeping tom (?)

stalker perhaps? (when plowing through their desk and dresser drawers and stealing the phone)

kidnapper

sexual assaulter

murderer

attempted hiding of crime

anything else that you can think of?

Here are a few details

bullied in school

played football maybe(?)

peeping tom (?)

stalker perhaps? (when plowing through their desk and dresser drawers and stealing the phone)

kidnapper

sexual assaulter

murderer

Uncommunicative with his wife--keeps things bottled up then explodes

Felt like a failure

Low paying jobs

Parents recently divorced

Working class background

On another note, I wonder if he wasn't depressed and feeling suicidal, and decided before he did himself in, he just HAD to have the object of his affection. Then chickened out when it came time to kill himself.

Here are a few details

bullied in school

played football maybe(?)

peeping tom (?)

kidnapper

sexual assaulter

murderer

I get the impression Holt's wife was THEE authority figure in thei rhousehold.

Holt likely envied quite alot the relationship, love the Heichels had. And Holt seemed like he got easily down on himself, frustrated as a failure, became jealous of th eHeichels, who seemed to have som many good things going fo rthem and maybe looked like they had the successful life/marriage that Holt wanted but was'nt happening for him.

It has been almost a month since WH was taken from us, in the tragic events. With so many questions in my mind and a wish to pay my respects, I went on a drive today. The sun was shining, but the pavement was a bit wet and I had only a few hours to go on my journey before I had to be someplace.

I chose to buy a potted plant of miniature light pink and yellow roses. Symbolizing sympathy, grace and a promise of a new beginning. I hadn't been back to the area of Dodge Park since I went fishing, a few days before this tragedy occurred. It had been years since I had even driven up to Roslyn Lake, since they drained it. Under time restraint, I chose to head East to Dodge Park, then up to Roslyn Lake. What I thought would take me over 30 minutes was only 17 minutes from the point of Hogan Road to SE Thomas Road. As I drove through the route, looking at the beautiful sunny nurseries and Fall colors, my heart became real heavy as I approached Dodge Park and making the final turn onto Thomas Road. The road was shaded but the beautiful clouds and sun could be seen in the distance North. The trees growing inside the lake bed were so tall, where there once was just water. The grove of dense fir trees acted as a wall on the other side, behind me. I placed the potted roses next to the power pole, said a prayer and got back in my car. On the pole was a set of flowers from someone else, which happened to be yellow and redish pink, similar to the ones I brought. After a few minutes of silence and staring into the distance, It was time to leave and head back.

I decided I wanted to see the route which I had speculated JH had taken on that day.
I drove back the same path I came, down the hill and circled once in the Dodge Park parking lot, then proceeded to drive up Lusted Road and I turned left onto Dodge Park Blvd. I have never taken this path before. As I started driving SW on Dodge Park Blvd, it started going up hill in a slope and felt as if it was taking me away from the Gresham Area, more toward the City of Sandy. Anybody who would have normally taken this route must have been confused and not knowing where they were going. I took Dodge Park Blvd to Pleasant Home Drive and I could see a big yellow sign. It seemed natural that that was a route back to the Gresham Area. I drove it down to Lusted Road and heading West, I took a right at the Sam Barlow High School onto 302nd. It was a natural path going North. I followed it and it put me on a downward hill at Stark Street, near the Stark Street Bridge. At this point I knew in my head that JH must have changed directions and changed his mind back when he was on Dodge Park Blvd and decided to go to Larch Mountain instead of toward Sandy. Once you hit Stark you have to decide to hang a right to go over the bridge onto the Historical Columbia Highway. At this point I am almost certain, that JH realized he needed to get more gas.
The quickest route would have been to just continue down the hill, over the Stark Street Bridge and up to Larch Mountain in my opinion. It was the gas station that threw JH back into town, and back up the hill.
I drove West on Stark, up the hill and by the Shell station. The complete journey from Roslyn Lake to Shell was 28 minutes. That was only 5 minutes over what someone had asked earlier, if it could be driven that fast. 5 minutes of my drive time could have been shaved off, If I hadn't been behind a road crew on Dodge Park Blvd or had to follow a hay truck on 302nd.
From my personal experience on my drive today, with some wet roads with wet leaves and driving normal speed, I feel that the drive from Hogan Road to Roslyn Lake was only 17 minutes. The path back was as follows: JH took probably took Lusted Road by Dodge Park, up the hill, left on Dodge Park Blvd. From this point the road was deceptive and so he took a right on Pleasant Home Road and as a natural path, a left back on Lusted Road. At the stop, he took a natural right (North) on 302nd down to Stark. He realized he need more gas to go to Larch Mtn and Back, and had to go up into the city. The drive today was done with a limited amount of time, and done by a natural gut instinct. The drive only took 28 minutes. 5 minutes could have easily been shaved off. 23 minutes was not only probable, but confirmed to be possible.

My heart is a bit heavy tonight, but it was a journey that needed to be taken to pay my respects. My heart sank a bit when I approached Shell and my drive time was within 5 minutes of the 23 minutes we had talked about.

I definitely hope justice will be served. There is still a family, church and community that is mourning tonight!

RIP Whitney - Indeed, her light does still shine!

Here are a few details

bullied in school

played football maybe(?)

peeping tom (?)

kidnapper

sexual assaulter

murderer

habitual liar

*advertiser censored* addict

struggling with his faith(?)

It has been almost a month since WH was taken from us, in the tragic events. With so many questions in my mind and a wish to pay my respects, I went on a drive today. The sun was shining, but the pavement was a bit wet and I had only a few hours to go on my journey before I had to be someplace.

I chose to buy a potted plant of miniature light pink and yellow roses. Symbolizing sympathy, grace and a promise of a new beginning. I hadn't been back to the area of Dodge Park since I went fishing, a few days before this tragedy occurred. It had been years since I had even driven up to Roslyn Lake, since they drained it. Under time restraint, I chose to head East to Dodge Park, then up to Roslyn Lake. What I thought would take me over 30 minutes was only 17 minutes from the point of Hogan Road to SE Thomas Road. As I drove through the route, looking at the beautiful sunny nurseries and Fall colors, my heart became real heavy as I approached Dodge Park and making the final turn onto Thomas Road. The road was shaded but the beautiful clouds and sun could be seen in the distance North. The trees growing inside the lake bed were so tall, where there once was just water. The grove of dense fir trees acted as a wall on the other side, behind me. I placed the potted roses next to the power pole, said a prayer and got back in my car. On the pole was a set of flowers from someone else, which happened to be yellow and redish pink, similar to the ones I brought. After a few minutes of silence and staring into the distance, It was time to leave and head back.

I decided I wanted to see the route which I had speculated JH had taken on that day.
I drove back the same path I came, down the hill and circled once in the Dodge Park parking lot, then proceeded to drive up Lusted Road and I turned left onto Dodge Park Blvd. I have never taken this path before. As I started driving SW on Dodge Park Blvd, it started going up hill in a slope and felt as if it was taking me away from the Gresham Area, more toward the City of Sandy. Anybody who would have normally taken this route must have been confused and not knowing where they were going. I took Dodge Park Blvd to Pleasant Home Drive and I could see a big yellow sign. It seemed natural that that was a route back to the Gresham Area. I drove it down to Lusted Road and heading West, I took a right at the Sam Barlow High School onto 302nd. It was a natural path going North. I followed it and it put me on a downward hill at Stark Street, near the Stark Street Bridge. At this point I knew in my head that JH must have changed directions and changed his mind back when he was on Dodge Park Blvd and decided to go to Larch Mountain instead of toward Sandy. Once you hit Stark you have to decide to hang a right to go over the bridge onto the Historical Columbia Highway. At this point I am almost certain, that JH realized he needed to get more gas.
The quickest route would have been to just continue down the hill, over the Stark Street Bridge and up to Larch Mountain in my opinion. It was the gas station that threw JH back into town, and back up the hill.
I drove West on Stark, up the hill and by the Shell station. The complete journey from Roslyn Lake to Shell was 28 minutes. That was only 5 minutes over what someone had asked earlier, if it could be driven that fast. 5 minutes of my drive time could have been shaved off, If I hadn't been behind a road crew on Dodge Park Blvd or had to follow a hay truck on 302nd.
From my personal experience on my drive today, with some wet roads with wet leaves and driving normal speed, I feel that the drive from Hogan Road to Roslyn Lake was only 17 minutes. The path back was as follows: JH took probably took Lusted Road by Dodge Park, up the hill, left on Dodge Park Blvd. From this point the road was deceptive and so he took a right on Pleasant Home Road and as a natural path, a left back on Lusted Road. At the stop, he took a natural right (North) on 302nd down to Stark. He realized he need more gas to go to Larch Mtn and Back, and had to go up into the city. The drive today was done with a limited amount of time, and done by a natural gut instinct. The drive only took 28 minutes. 5 minutes could have easily been shaved off. 23 minutes was not only probable, but confirmed to be possible.

My heart is a bit heavy tonight, but it was a journey that needed to be taken to pay my respects. My heart sank a bit when I approached Shell and my drive time was within 5 minutes of the 23 minutes we had talked about.

I definitely hope justice will be served. There is still a family, church and community that is mourning tonight!

RIP Whitney - Indeed, her light does still shine!

The thanks button just wasn't enough for this. That was so sweet of you to take flowers out to where Whitney spent her last moments.

If I recall from the timeline proposed previously there was 5 minutes allotted for cleanup of the vehicle, which could have been postponed until Larch mountain, giving Holt 5 more minutes to get to the Shell.

Just curious, did you notice if there were any school bus stops along the route?

I get the impression Holt's wife was THEE authority figure in thei rhousehold.

Holt likely envied quite alot the relationship, love the Heichels had. And Holt seemed like he got easily down on himself, frustrated as a failure, became jealous of th eHeichels, who seemed to have som many good things going fo rthem and maybe looked like they had the successful life/marriage that Holt wanted but was'nt happening for him.

bbm

Maybe she was the authority, but probably by default. Sometimes a woman goes into a marriage perfectly willing to share the power, or even allow her husband to be the boss, but when he completely fails to take the lead, she is forced to be the boss. Or parent of the other partner, even. I suspect that is what was going on here. She married a child when she thought she was getting a man. She was forced to take on the role of mother when she wanted to be a wife. I feel for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rg143