Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a new verdict … DOLUS EVENTUALIS

Justice has finally been done and been seen to be done. Of course this won’t bring Reeva back, but now
June, Barry, their family and friends will know that others too believe her life was worth so much more than the pittance she was worth in the eyes of Masipa.

Reeva was very outspoken and passionate about women enduring violence and abuse and it was ironic that the very day she was to have given that speech to teenage girls about domestic abuse, she was gunned down by OP. As devastating as this has been for her family, her death has not been in vain because she has now left a legacy to the women of SA that women’s lives do matter. The SCA has clarified the law so that judges will now understand it and be in a better position to punish those who blithely think they can get away with murder just because they offer up an asinine excuse such as hearing a noise.

Knowing that Reeva was so cruelly murdered in a place where she should have been safe is a heavy cross for June and Barry to bear. There’s no such thing as closure with the death of a child and her family are only left with memories and thoughts of what her life was and might have become. If they now have some peace of mind that justice has been done, that will bring some comfort.

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman 20 Sek.Vor 20 Sekunden
BREAKING #OscarPistorius appeal successful - Pistorius has been convicted of murder. BB

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman 47 Sek.Vor 47 Sekunden
#OscarPistorius Leach: the trial was conducted in glare of international attention must have added to heavy rigours of conducting a trial.

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman 2 Min.Vor 2 Minuten
#OscarPistorius Leach: in the interest of justice, culpable homicide must be set aside and replaced with correct conviction. B

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman 25 Min.Vor 25 Minuten Übersetzung anzeigen
#OscarPistorius matter has been referred back to trial court for sentencing argument. BB

So now he can be correctly described as a convicted murderer, which is what 99% of everyone thought in the first place. I actually understood everything Leach said, apart from his first words, which were 'appeal dismissed with costs'!

YYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

Murder. Murder. Murder.

Happy Christmas Pistorius.

The relief on June's face made me gulp. They got him. Your baby's death was not because of "negligence" and it never was.

Leach: "sets aside culpable homicide..." Cut to Steenkamps moving around slightly.

Talking about that tired "anxiety" diagnosis. Leach disregards this! Ha, yes poor psychological analysis.
Talks about the facts he armed himself, than fired four shots in creases the forseablility. It is "irressistible"

It's going to be DE...I believe!!!

Oh, man I must be slower in my you tube link!!! Murder...So, if Pistorius wants to go further are we now going to going to see the constitutional court??

AND what would Masipa, or whoever, give for a sentence?!

What must Pistorius be thinking?! *advertiser censored*********

"his evidence is so contradictory" "vacillating" "untruthful" *nodding head*

More than anything, I feel a deep sense of relief!

What a beautifully delivered judgement!

I remember Judge Greenland talking about the need for the Court to imbue a state of 'Solemn Exaltation' in a judgement or sentence. Mission accomplished!

So Masipa has to start with a minimum of 15 years for DE. Time already served gets deducted and mitigating circumstances can reduce it further. Bearing in mind how Roux was able to twist the facts and how Masipa swallowed practically everything he said - I guess Roux will be giving it everything he's got. Whatever happens, OP is now a convicted murderer and Reeva's family have at least got the correct verdict.

I got the very, very strong impression that if they'd been able to, they'd have wiped out the DD acquittal too.

Once you accept that Pistorius's little story was a crock of smelly brown stuff then that he deliberately murdered Reeva becomes inevitable.

There's simply no other explanation for his persistent and consistent lying.

Hope he's puking his guts up right now.

Is it all over? I missed it? If still on where is it streaming?

"The trial was conducted in the glare of of the international attention and the focus of television camera's which must have added to the inherently... vigours that are brought to bear trial courts in conduction lengthy and complicated trials. The trial conducted the hearing with a degree of...and partience that is a credit to the judiciary of this counttry."

After offering a solid 15-20minutes criticising Masipa judgement and logic, the Supreme Court offers her a publicly gracious boon.

Except um, well, it's a bit too late to put that less than competent level of judgement back in the legal shed!

So what happens now? Do they send someone round to collect him or will he appeal?

Key points:

The appeal court found that Judge Thokozile Masipa had made errors in law when reaching her original verdict of culpable homicide.

The appeal judges said Masipa was wrong in her application of dolus eventualis, as Pistorius “must have foreseen” that firing into the door could cause the death of whoever was behind it.

Masipa also wrongly conflated the test of dolus eventualis with dolus directus in accepting that the defence argument that he did not know the person behind the door was Steenkamp meant he could not be guilty of murder.

Masipa’s verdict was premised upon an acceptance that Pistorius did not think Steenkamp was in the toilet, but this was also wrong: the key thing is that the perpetrator knows his actions could kill that person, whoever it is.

The failure to take into account all the evidence – in particular, key ballistics evidence – amounted to a failure in law, the judges said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...peal-court-guilty-murder-reeva-steenkamp-live

I got the very, very strong impression that if they'd been able to, they'd have wiped out the DD acquittal too.

Once you accept that Pistorius's little story was a crock of smelly brown stuff then that he deliberately murdered Reeva becomes inevitable.

There's simply no other explanation for his persistent and consistent lying.

Hope he's puking his guts up right now.

Yep.

Had someone like Justice Leach handled the trial ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech