Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cannot believe it. Justice, FINALLY. He must be beside himself! So so so happy for the Steenkamp family!!!

So does he get to stay in the mansion if he appeals to a higher court?

Thanks to one of you posting a link earlier, from Queensland, Australia, I was able to watch Justice Leach live delivering the appeal result So, thank you!
Relief that justice has now been done and been seen to be done.
Amazing to listen to a clear and cogent legal mind deliver his/their argument. Although not legally trained, I was able to follow the argument. (Was formerly a high school Legal Studies teacher, which helped somewhat).
Thank you too to all the posters for the discussion along the way.
Props too to Prosecutor Gerry Nel & James Grant.
Thoughts are with the family of Reeva Steenkamp.

The cut to Steenkamp's sister hugging Reeva's mother at the end of the judgement, the relief of their faces, and look of exhaustion was really moving.

"Couirt is adjourned."

The defense filed past the prosecution at the end of the vid stream. As everyone streamed out of the exit one legal team certainly looked happier than the other but a generally muted exit by all.

This is vindication for Reeva, and vindication for the majority of professionals who have maintained that Masipa penned a shoddy piece of work

Leach was charitable in the end - but it really is an embarrassing result for Masipa.

The SC has found she got the case completely wrong!

Well, for once, Roux was right...."That I have lost is a fact".

Indeed. Indeed.

So what happens now? Do they send someone round to collect him or will he appeal?
He'll go back to court in the new year for re-sentencing. He can appeal to the constitutional court if his human rights have been breached (I think) but I highly doubt he'll get very far with that and hopefully it shouldn't affect him going back to jail once the new sentence is given.

Oscar has 10 days to apply for leave to appeal to the Constitutional Court.

Check out the wonderful Homer/Pistorians pic on David Dadic's twitter.

I got the very, very strong impression that if they'd been able to, they'd have wiped out the DD acquittal too.

Once you accept that Pistorius's little story was a crock of smelly brown stuff then that he deliberately murdered Reeva becomes inevitable.

There's simply no other explanation for his persistent and consistent lying.

Hope he's puking his guts up right now.

re: your impression. i had the same...

as leach said 'different judge's see things differently' or words to that effect.

i get the feeling that they did all they could with the pieces that were left in this case. if only a judge of leach's competency had been there from the start.

My heart goes out to the Steenkamps and all of Reeva's friends. Justice seen to be done for Reeva.

"May I remind you this verdict was unanimous - all those judges think he's a liar" David Dadic.

This is a critical point

Intention is not restricted to what did you think only as you pull the trigger

#OscarPistorius Leach: The accused armed himself to shoot if there was someone in the bathroom - and he did.

Foresight begins when you start keeping a gun beside your bed for self defence and decide to take up that weapon

I got the very, very strong impression that if they'd been able to, they'd have wiped out the DD acquittal too.

Once you accept that Pistorius's little story was a crock of smelly brown stuff then that he deliberately murdered Reeva becomes inevitable.

There's simply no other explanation for his persistent and consistent lying.

Hope he's puking his guts up right now.

I found it very interesting that Leach said he watched some of the trial. I have always thought the judiciary would have been watching as this was the first trial in SA to be televised they would need to see how it panned out. If he/they did OP's guilt was very clear and would have made this judgement easier. I agree with your impression re DD. Delighted that all Appeal judges were in agreement and impressed that Judge Leach explained so clearly the SCA findings.

He'll go back to court in the new year for re-sentencing. He can appeal to the constitutional court if his human rights have been breached (I think) but I highly doubt he'll get very far with that and hopefully it shouldn't affect him going back to jail once the new sentence is given.

so the convicted murderer is out on house arrest for christmas? i wonder if the defence will go into delay mode now...
will the time spent under house arrest be deducted from his final sentence. i hope not.

"My daughters, our daughters, are safer today than they were yesterday. There can be nothing more important than that" - James Grant.

Hear hear.

"May I remind you this verdict was unanimous - all those judges think he's a liar" David Dadic.

Incredibly important point.

Plus, this was a vital judgement for the Supreme Court to make. And in clear, concise legal language with citations and analysis. This will affect other lower court judgements. Good points about totality of evidence, dolus explanations etc.

One just can't have people randomly shooting others, through random pieces of furniture and fittings, just because someone hears a noise, feels scared or had 'anxiety' issues. Compounded by getting CH with only twelve months in prison. That was just a terrible example of legal judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngluteplayer