Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oscar has 10 days to apply for leave to appeal to the Constitutional Court.

I was quoting Llewelyn Curlewis from a Sky News interview. He didn't mention anything about sentencing. However, David Dadic's tweet that OP will wait to see his sentence before he decides to appeal makes more sense IMO

at last. the correct verdict. I got so disappointed with Judge Masipa I put Oscar on my back burner, . it will never bring Reeva back, but it may give some small tiny comfort to her mother . What a hell of a journey for June Steenkamp, the very worst , and this is all that can be salvaged from that dreadful night.

a quick shoutout to Prime Suspect. Greetings.

This is vindication for Reeva, and vindication for the majority of professionals who have maintained that Masipa penned a shoddy piece of work

Leach was charitable in the end - but it really is an embarrassing result for Masipa.

The SC has found she got the case completely wrong
!
Could her assessors not have pointed out her errors before she vocalised them? I still can't understand how such an experienced judge could have got such vital factors completely wrong.

"My daughters, our daughters, are safer today than they were yesterday. There can be nothing more important than that" - James Grant.

Hear hear.
Yes. And justice for Reeva. :woot: :woot:

It is just as likely he will get the whole 15 years..... how dicey would it be to give him a shorter sentence than anyone else, considering the original verdict was so faulty.. I don't think SA can afford another faulty call on this. oh well. my opinion.

at last. the correct verdict. I got so disappointed with Judge Masipa I put Oscar on my back burner, . it will never bring Reeva back, but it may give some small tiny comfort to her mother . What a hell of a journey for June Steenkamp, the very worst , and this is all that can be salvaged from that dreadful night.

oh happy day, Trooper!

So the usual minimum for murder is 15 years .......and no one is allowed to be under house arrest for more than 5 years ........
Tricky one for Masipa to get round ,but I am sure she will - sadly

Does OP definitely remain under house arrest until re-sentencing? A convicted murderer! Could he be taken back immediately and await sentencing?

I was quoting Llewelyn Curlewis from a Sky News interview. He didn't mention anything about sentencing. However, David Dadic's tweet that OP will wait to see his sentence before he decides to appeal makes more sense IMO

surely today's verdict is the judgement that op will have the option to appeal against.

i wonder if, after sentencing does he also have the chance to appeal the sentence?

Hey Trooper. You have been sorely missed!!!!!!!! Although today is of small comfort for June, at least the world now knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that Oscar Leonard Carl Pistorius is a convicted murderer. It was not an accident, or a mistake, or a sad tale of a poor frightened disabled man protecting himself - it was murder, and now his label is known to everyone. He's a common murderer, nothing less.

Could her assessors not have pointed out her errors before she vocalised them? I still can't understand how such an experienced judge could have got such vital factors completely wrong.

Because she is a legal lightweight who was never qualified for the High Court bench

Because she is a legal lightweight who was never qualified for the High Court bench
Makes you wonder how the hell she got appointed to the case if it was over her head (and her bun).

surely today's verdict is the judgement that op will have the option to appeal against.

i wonder if, after sentencing does he also have the chance to appeal the sentence?

I think you're right. This makes sense. It's tricky to navigate these waters when legal experts are saying contradictory things.

I swear I think she let the assessors write the damn judgment. Probably trying to mentor them. She seemed surprised by what she was struggling to read out loud that first day when she suddenly called for an adjournment. Came back the next day with the patches trying to fix the language re: "and anyone else for that matter" without making structural changes to the legal logic.

If you go to Vinnie Politan's Twitter feed there's a great pic of Oscar wet with his own tears and lobby snot.
I know it's not from today, but it is probably happening again today.
I just read the old judge, Maripas will be sentencing him for the murder? That seems wrong.

Mr Jitty...tell me if this is right?

OP has 10 days to appeal. SCA can choose to disallow the appeal on the basis that it's unlikely different judges would give a different verdict (which I suspect will happen).

He can then take it over their heads to the CC on different grounds......namely that his constitutional rights were violated in terms of of how the trial was conducted.

I think that David Dadic's point was that OP may well wait to see what sentence he gets from the High Court befire deciding whether to go down the CC route.

Is this more or less it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member