Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 6.13.2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Masipa still a sitting Judge or did she come out of retirement for this sentencing? Surely, they retired her after the trial! I'm wondering if it was a forewarning to her, that the Pros would appeal for anything less than 8 yrs. I've never heard of such a statement prior to sentencing. I don't think that it would be a stretch for Masipa to have considered 'time served'. Seriously! From what I've seen, so far, she's made every effort to rule in Oscar's favor.

Nel did a good job today, slammed the facts home and undermined much of Roux' defence.
He clarified the legal position for Masipa and hopefully she'll find it difficult to come up with excuses for a lighter sentence.
I liked his points re regret v remorse, and that OP hasn't explained why he shot Reeva. I don't think OP could explain this even if he tried.
Nel is right, OP does behave gratuitously (without good reason) and clearly lacks any real personal insight into his arrogant, violent behaviour.
The family culture also disables him psychologically trying to protect him and themselves from the consequences/shame of his actions.
Rehab is unlikely to help as he doesn't recognise he has a problem. He can't stop his behaviour if he doesn't understand his motives or the triggers.
He is a dangerous man. JMO
I was sickened by Roux getting OP to walk on his stumps in court - the cynical manipulation of it.
OP aside, I hated the humiliation of it for all the disabled everywhere.

I agree with the Steencamps releasing the pictures, for all people are braying about it being "distasteful". OP reduced her to being an entirely mute victim, utterly non-verbal whilst being slaughtered. Masipa reduced her to someone who "is good in front of the camera". OP has tried to shift the victim hood status since onto himself and his ruined life etc. Why should her corpse have to be "dignified" when her death wasn't?

Show everyone what the snivelling little man child did to the beautiful, accomplished Reeva.

Even if Masipa does allow her emotions to override her objective judgement, as many of us fear, there is always recourse to the SCA. I suspect that she will avoid allowing it to go back to the SCA and instead give him a sentence that will satisfy the prosecution without giving him the maximum. The SCA has really given her little wriggle room and today Nel used this as a blunt instrument to hammer it home.

I really don't think we have too much to fear but I realise it's a rational fear given her appalling judgement at the trial.

Right. She's been given a guideline by the Higher Crt. Thank you! Again.......soooooo impressed with Nel today! AND so thankful for the Supreme Crt.

Did you see how Lore Hartzenberger ( sp?) came to his assistance to help move him around and hold onto the bench top. He is perfectly capable of moving on his stumps, hence his evidence of not needing Reeva to walk him to the bathroom to clean his teeth ( as if it ever happened), hence also the entire house being bespoke with marble floors.
Wonder how much Hartzenberger is being paid? ( Wasn't she an unregistered ex child psychologist. )
When I first saw him on stumps, I had empathy for him, but after that ploy.....

I recall Scholtz saying she had done some work with him on "problem- solving" and he certainly seems to be in a state of arrested development.
I notice in the DMail photos Barry got out of his seat into the aisle to see him walking more clearly.

That woman that lifted his arm aloft and guided it to the bench was not Hartzenberg but rather his Aunt, the grim spouse of Uncle Arnie.

I think she forgot he was a double amputee and instead assisted him as one would a blind geriatric person with severe learning difficulties. I've never seen such blatant deception. Utterly shameless. Oscar must have been desperate to humiliate himself like that.

I agree with the Steencamps releasing the pictures, for all people are braying about it being "distasteful". OP reduced her to being an entirely mute victim, utterly non-verbal whilst being slaughtered. Masipa reduced her to someone who "is good in front of the camera". OP has tried to shift the victim hood status since onto himself and his ruined life etc. Why should her corpse have to be "dignified" when her death wasn't?

Show everyone what the snivelling little man child did to the beautiful, accomplished Reeva.

Great post! That is essentially what today was all about. To wrestle back the initiative and remind the world what he did to an innocent young girl and her family.

Roux will win the headlines battle today as pictures of Oscar are shown on TV but tomorrow and thereafter it will be the pictures of Reeva that keep circulating. Genius move by Nel to counter Roux's dirty, cynical theatrics. :cheers::cheers::cheers::

Yes.......The ban on the pics pre the original trial was the correct thing to do, and the lifting of the ban now is the correct thing to do. I was a teeny bit anxious that Masipa would not see the point of lifting the ban, but it is the right time and the right thing to do, probably more so in the light of Oscar's disrespect to the court ( and South Africa ) in barrelling on with the ITV program , a bigger slap in the face to the court I cannot imagine, so as a sort of provocation of karma the releasing of the pics is right, but that is an aside.

As a legality and as an underlining of the public effect of crime, that nothing is hidden, that a crime has it's own dynamic , removed from both the victim and the perpetrator, that Oscar has no say, no control over the public observation of the crime he did indeed commit, releasing the photo's now is inevitable and unarguable.

And it is , in a way, co-incidental that the release of them takes place now. Before the airing of Oscar as Poor Oscar, before the sentencing.

No wonder Roux fought for his client on this matter. No wonder Nel kept at it like a terrier with a bone.

I remember Nel not being able to bring it up, but the amount of times Roux has accused state witnesses of making something seem worse to paint the murderer in a more negative light, and then he gets OP to hobble slowly and unsteadily round the court deliberately trying to paint him in a more vulnerable position than he really is! I bet he thought that would really play on Masipa's sympathy,

Nel did question Derman closely regarding if, when and how OP was able to run both forwards and backwards, leading many to believe he was referencing the video and hoping Derman would too, but due to careful wording by the DT and witness was not able to bring it in as evidence iirc.

Even if Masipa does allow her emotions to override her objective judgement, as many of us fear, there is always recourse to the SCA. I suspect that she will avoid allowing it to go back to the SCA and instead give him a sentence that will satisfy the prosecution without giving him the maximum. The SCA has really given her little wriggle room and today Nel used this as a blunt instrument to hammer it home.

I really don't think we have too much to fear but I realise it's a rational fear given her appalling judgement at the trial.

Agreed on all points.

The Prosecution really upped it's game on the technical legal element since Prof Grant got involved for the SCA appeal.

I don't believe he was involved this time, but you can once more see that Nel was far more prepared on the legal argumentation and authorities

Roux was really quite weak on the law

Nel did question Derman closely regarding if, when and how OP was able to run both forwards and backwards, leading many to believe he was referencing the video and hoping Derman would too, but due to careful wording by the DT and witness was not able to bring it in as evidence iirc.

That video was one of the most farcical aspects of the main trial.

Especially that it offered yet another version not presented.

I guess the defence got the version wrong when they made it!

That woman that lifted his arm aloft and guided it to the bench was not Hartzenberg but rather his Aunt, the grim spouse of Uncle Arnie.

I think she forgot he was a double amputee and instead assisted him as one would a blind geriatric person with severe learning difficulties. I've never seen such blatant deception. Utterly shameless. Oscar must have been desperate to humiliate himself like that.

Here is LH with his aunt Lois and Aimee, from J13 site Paul

hartzenberg.jpg

On the deception point I agree. Also, could it even have been his/his family's idea to do this "Walk". OP gave every facial impression of being humiliated and Roux rammed that point about "embarassment" home, but I'm so cynical when it comes to OP and his acting. The close-ups and reaction shots from him throughout the trial were always fascinating. ( J13 does a good sequence of them, from trial 1, on her blog.)

Just to add, this is an earlier photo, from bail hearing

Agreed on all points.

The Prosecution really upped it's game on the technical legal element since Prof Grant got involved for the SCA appeal.

I don't believe he was involved this time, but you can once more see that Nel was far more prepared on the legal argumentation and authorities

Roux was really quite weak on the law

Mr J,

I know he had a sh-- case ( post Masipa) , as you've said for a while but I am surprised that that is what you get in SA from a big bucks/top lawyer. He's as sharp as tack, Mr. Roux, but still, from his choice of witnesses to his case citation, I wasn't very impressed with his handling of this phase of the case.

My response to him would be in the form of a question, so who stands to profit from this bit of advertising? Perhaps the same party as from the pics in the following link?

Exactly val.

BTW Anyone think that the "walk" will backfire, in terms, of generating sympathy & u'standing in Masipa? I think it will.

Mr J,

I know he had a sh-- case ( post Masipa) , as you've said for a while but I am surprised that that is what you get in SA from a big bucks/top lawyer. He's as sharp as tack, Mr. Roux, but still, from his choice of witnesses to his case citation, I wasn't very impressed with his handling of this phase of the case.

To be fair he's in a game of high stakes poker with one card and all the other players know what it is.

He can't talk about the law. He can't talk about the SCA. He can't call on evidence from his absurd and pathetic client.

All he can do is beg Masipa that the facts never changed and she thought 5 years was right the first time so have mercy.

His big problem is he is now asking the Judge to go out on the ledge for him.

Maybe the Judge will do it if she believes in the accused and wants to make some kind of final stand on all this.

My guess is the Judge will feel she doesn't owe his pathetic client anything and will sail for safe harbour.

I do believe a defensible discount off the 15 is her chance to thumb her nose at the SCA and she will take it.

BTW Anyone think that the "walk" will backfire, in terms, of generating sympathy & u'standing in Masipa? I think it will.

I think it is a big risk that he does a tv interview and parades around the Court room but does not give evidence.

I think he risks that Masipa feels tricked and betrayed over that.

The trail is over. His disability was done to death during it. In spite of this he got a jail term (brief) from Masipa, he was able to serve the full time he was given.

I don't think that clip of the walk has brought OP any new devotees. Everyone and their granny knows it was done to garner sympathy in order to gain a lighter sentence.

Roux is rather kind of daring her to sentence him again on HER judgement rather than that of the SCA.

I think it is a big risk that he does a tv interview and parades around the Court room but does not give evidence.

I think he risks that Masipa feels tricked and betrayed over that.
...it's quite possible Masipa will see it for what it is.....the last ditch chance at a manipulation..;...of course the other way that Masipa could save/recover her image is to go entirely the other way and give a sentence far higher than is being asked for as a message that she had been tricked the first time around and she doesn't like it.....knowing that the public will pick this up...

She is his therapist Paul. She gave evidence during the last sentencing. I agree, she led him as if he was blind, and what is worse is that he let her. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper