Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 6.13.2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the links already gone over to Dig Spy.

It's just another non-story if you read the full article. Sounds like another half-baked extortion attempt from some un-smart guy trying to make a buck..
The anon call happened Thurs, the family member was giving details to the press the following day.

As we said last time - they will have been getting dubious calls & messages for 3 years I would guess. Par for the course, I guess.
It's not as if OP suddenly became notorious from the point the SCA judged is it? Revealing them now is coincidence?

But, how did the guy get the uncle on Whatsapp?IDK

Maybe it was one of OP's super-fans who decided to go the extra mile to help him out by doing a "phone jacker". :eek::phone:

in case of confusion, here's one of many PJ comedy characters
A bit snipped :-)

Weren't there threats of rape made before he went to jail the first time? I'm sure there were. Yet, nothing happened. They were just empty threats, as I'm sure are these. The convicted murderer was perfectly safe for a year and alert enough to fill up the complaints book on an hourly basis (omitting the rape and suicide of course) so clearly nothing happened to him in that respect. Ergo, back to jail matey!!

A bit snipped :-)

Weren't there threats of rape made before he went to jail the first time? I'm sure there were. Yet, nothing happened. They were just empty threats, as I'm sure are these. The convicted murderer was perfectly safe for a year and alert enough to fill up the complaints book on an hourly basis (omitting the rape and suicide of course) so clearly nothing happened to him in that respect. Ergo, back to jail matey!!

Yes Soozie. A hard man gang leader was waiting for him etc. Yes he was happy to take on CS staff like Mashabane and try to throw his weight around. Not a meek inmate by any stretch.

They didn't make any difference then and they won't know. He was on the hospital ward, the cushiest, most secure place in that whole prison. It's a nonsense that will have no impact on his sentence.

They were reserving the same cell for him back In winter 2015.
Room will be made for him there, he's not ever going to go to general population.

It is being reported on DS that Judge Chris Greenland, on his Facebook page, has recommended 15 years house arrest for the murderer. Very odd call. The 15 years sounds good but make it in the big house, not Uncle Arnold's big house. Apparently he will explain his reasoning at some point soon, but for now it sounds somewhat unworkable, ludicrous even IMO.

Hi all. Nice to see the thread back open, especially with some very interesting reading material and food for thought in the preceding posts. I do wish Nel had drawn attention to Pistorius's version wherein he is making his way up the hall and then after firing, running back to 'look for Reeva' etc all on his stumps. This would have focused in on the difference between his wobbly performance in court the other day and the actions he said he performed on the night of the murder. Quite a contrast IMO. Plus, as someone said either here or on DS, he claims to have brought the moving and presumably heavy and unwieldy fans in while on his stumps as well whereas to look at him the other day it seemed like he could barely move without assistance. Such theatrical BS.
snipped
UL You aren't alone in thinking that. Even the front of a Brazilian newspaper had, I guess the translation is"A Different Strategy." witha big screenshot of the walk. One SA newspaper had "Oscar's Pity parade"

The other points you raise are very good ones as they contrast starkly with his previous versions. Why is that? Is it cause he didn't want to back over the past findings for some reason.
(Will your points even enter Masipa's head? Depends if she saw the re-enactment video.) Even someone as green as her can't fail to see it as a strategy.
Maybe they thought it would appeal to the social worker empathy in Masipa, as it seemed to be successful last time?

It is being reported on DS that Judge Chris Greenland, on his Facebook page, has recommended 15 years house arrest for the murderer. Very odd call. The 15 years sounds good but make it in the big house, not Uncle Arnold's big house. Apparently he will explain his reasoning at some point soon, but for now it sounds somewhat unworkable, ludicrous even IMO.

Yes I couldn't find the actual broadcast Lithgow . And 15 years Comm Service based , in a DV project?
Who knows the context of the discussion.

snipped
UL You aren't alone in thinking that. Even the front of a Brazilian newspaper had, I guess the translation is"A Different Strategy." witha big screenshot of the walk. One SA newspaper had "Oscar's Pity parade"

The other points you raise are very good ones as they contrast starkly with his previous versions. Why is that? Is it cause he didn't want to back over the past findings for some reason.
(Will your points even enter Masipa's head? Depends if she saw the re-enactment video.) Even someone as green as her can't fail to see it as a strategy.
Maybe they thought it would appeal to the social worker empathy in Masipa, as it seemed to be successful last time?

You are probably right CW re her not seeing the reenactment video but she must know how all the things he claims he did on his stumps on the night of the murder seem totally incompatible with his courtroom display. But, we have come to realise that what might seem obvious ain't necessarily so. That's why I really wish Nel had brought it up as it's another two Oscars - one who needs someone to help him take a few paces on his stumps and one who charges up and down a dark hallway carrying a loaded gun on his stumps.

depth of delusion

this woman was watching a different live feed to the rest of us

Standing a little over 5’ tall, weeping silently amid the trauma and distress, and unable to balance due to the structure of his amputated limbs, he was eventually forced to kneel on a hard floor until a kind hand provided him with a cushion. Surely what the world could not have failed to see before them was not Oscar the elite athlete, but Oscar the severely disabled man......
.....Traumatised, exposed, and divested of self-respect by a system that had unfeelingly and systematically stripped away his inherent dignity and worth as a human being. And in the ultimate act of deplorable cowardice, Gerrie Nel could not even muster enough human decency to look at him, see his stumps, and witness his disability and vulnerability....

I have no shame in admitting that I wept as I witnessed the desolation of a man forced in his eyes, to humiliate himself in front of the world, in a desperate bid for justice and to be understood. But they were tears that came from a well of empathy and compassion, not pity as the media would portray.

and can't move on from the intruder version!!

https://www.the-newshub.com/international/oscar-pistorius127

I don't think she'll watch. I think she's annoyed about having to revisit this case. I would so love to give my thoughts and analysis to this past week but all I have inside me still is a tightly balled-up scream. By the time I get around to it there'll be no one here to read it lol.
Everyone here is so fluent and ready to pick up on all the details and make intelligent commentary. All I'm stuck with is Barry Steenkamp's heart wrenching testimony and not just his testimony - his circumstances and his life now, and at the opposite end, Pistorius' (and Roux's) disgusting behaviour. See I'm absolutely blocked inside from saying anything more than that about him, I don't have access to coherent thoughts and words still. He disgusts me utterly, to the point that I don't want to even consider him, he's just poison.

Oh yeah......it was written all over her face. Kinda pouty. I don't think she'll watch the interview either; I don't think she should! Record it for herself to watch after she gives the sentence.
She's no doubt aware that the Pros will appeal anything under 8 yrs so she's got the leeway she needs.

depth of delusion

this woman was watching a different live feed to the rest of us

and can't move on from the intruder version!!

https://www.the-newshub.com/international/oscar-pistorius127

Holy dooley. I have no shame in admitting that this person sounds like a gullible fool and a tad overwrought. You can always spot a Pistorian because in addition to justifying Pistorius they can't miss an opportunity to attack the State and Nel in particular. I would suggest that the reason Nel didn't look at Pistorius was more because he had no interest in witnessing the stunt than because of a lack of decency and a display of cowardice. Ironic really because the prime perpetrator of cowardice and a lack of decency has been the murderer.

Holy dooley. I have no shame in admitting that this person sounds like a gullible fool and a tad overwrought. You can always spot a Pistorian because in addition to justifying Pistorius they can't miss an opportunity to attack the State and Nel in particular. I would suggest that the reason Nel didn't look at Pistorius was more because he had no interest in witnessing the stunt than because of a lack of decency and a display of cowardice. Ironic really because the prime perpetrator of cowardice and a lack of decency has been the murderer.

Yes they are obsessed with demonising Nel.
I heard a radio commentator saying she viewed it as OP playing the "disability card" in a big way and she laughed and admitted she does it all the time, in trivial ways, to avoid queues etc. She was not moved to the overwrought emotion described in the previous article. Indeed she remarked how mobile he was in the video, due to having his amputation so young.

I think the views of disabled people have often been very much at odds with OP, even during his career as well as during trial 1.

She's a well-known Pistorian - nothing new there.

True, but it's interesting to see how someone reads a "text" like the walk video and sees something very different to the majority. Amplify that to the bigger picture of the whole case and it shows how some people can end up with some big errors of judgement.

"Walking in court on his stumps while dressed in sportswear emblazoned with the logos of his former sponsor Nike, Pistorius was unsteady at times, holding onto wooden desks and helped by a woman at one point." OP’s way of flipping the bird to Nike in front of an international audience.

As this trial nears its end, some may wonder what comes next. The answer is most likely a book deal. In the criminal world, every murderer, robber etc. claims to be completely innocent.

"One of the favourite tactics of these conscienceless culprits is to play the victim themselves as shown in the recent performance in court by convicted murderer Oscar Pistorius who pretended to have difficulty walking without his prosthetics”. However, an earlier video captured him running and carrying his sister on his stumps with ease.

“After criminals are rightfully arrested and convicted for their crimes, they squawk about being a victim of the justice system. Their distorted minds cannot seem to fully fathom how repugnant and repulsive their offenses are and consequently they feel no remorse. Psychiatrists call this 'psychopathology.' Psychopaths are mendacious, refuse to take responsibility for their wrongdoing and refuse to accept the punishment they know they deserve”.

http://www.examiner.com/article/son-of-sam-meets-schoolgirl-of-seattle

BBM. Well said. :goodpost:

It's interesting that her father had a disability. Pistorians seem to fall into a few discrete groups : women with rescue fantasies, people who have family members affected by disability and pseudo-intellectual types (often men) who post their learned opinions on the Internet.

The first two types often have a big heaping helping of religion thrown in - they also seem to know that Reeva has forgiven Oscar for slaughtering her in a toilet.

As an extra : people with physical disabilities - as opposed to their families - seem less impressed by Oscar's antics.

Looked for JGreenland clip on DSTV web/carte Blanche as I enjoy his take - no luck

only this from March 2016
.pantomime of the highest order, screened by Carte Blanche as the "Oscar Pistorius Trial of The Century".
Right up to appeal stage the Superior Courts were still not favoured with a clear explanation of what the defence was. Instead the accused, employed a high powered legal team to serve up everything and anything that MIGHT have served the purpose of either saving a guilty accused or obfuscating the facts enough to create a reasonable doubt.
In Rhodesia/Zimbabwe Oscar would have been required on day one to set out exactly why and how he killed Reeva. On the day the trial started both the State and the Defence would have been required to set out plainly and simply what their respective cases were.
That way the Court would have been in a good position to know what the issues were, could have properly tried those issues, and the whole world could have seen and heard if justice was being done and seen to be done.
Perversely this so called "right to silence" has actually jumped up and bitten Oscar Pistorius real bad. On all the evidence it seems most probable that he killed Reeva in a situation of "uncontrollable rage", i.e, sane automatism with culpa (negligence) being present for having a gun knowing his pathological condition.
So the verdict of culpable homicide was actually correct on the "real facts". Now he is stuck with a conviction for murder because the so called "right to silence" allowed him to play silly buggers instead of properly accounting for his actions.
South Africa needs to review this issue urgently It is only serving criminality in its current form.
This blanket right is one of the main reason why the conviction rate is so very, very bad.

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/silence-is-not-golden-the-right-to-silence-in-law-oscar-p-20160308

Beyond crazy. How does living in a mansion with servants, pool and as much money as you can spend amount to any sort of punishment at all? It's a joke. If he gets to keep his freedom after murdering Reeva, then there's no bloody justice, and the Steenkamps will have held everything together for nothing.

I wonder if JG has been taken out of context? Can't really see him advocating that.

anyway, today's article by Maggie Orford, News24

Pistorius chose not to take the stand. He let his body “speak” for him when he chose a grotesque display of retrospective vulnerability in which he inserted his body into the place of his victim, Reeva – he sought, in the court proceedings this week, to usurp that place.

This was difficult to stomach. Pistorius has been found guilty of murder. There is no further appeal. There are no more cards that he can hold close to his chest in the hope of getting off. Pistorius’ refusal to admit culpability and to ask for forgiveness is as hard to bear as it is to comprehend.

His infantile regression into retching and tears during the trial was an insult to the woman he shot and to her bereaved family. This is not because tears are “unmanly”.

Tears of grief or remorse or insight are courageous in anyone – man or woman – as is an admission of vulnerability. But vulnerability is not an excuse in and of itself for mindless aggression, nor for self-pity......

It was Reeva who was vulnerable. It was she who was wounded and killed because of Pistorius and his lethal version of masculinity. There are other versions of manhood that do not require guns, but that do require a backbone and courage, and an ability to accept the limits of one’s powers and the consequences of one’s actions.

If there is anything to be learnt from this trial, it is that vulnerability is not something to be repressed; to be denied; to be feared. Vulnerability is the condition of being human. It is not something to be replaced with aggression and guns.

http://city-press.news24.com/Voices/oscar-pistorius-lethal-version-of-masculinity-20160619

Was the Nike gear a wind up because they dropped him? If so, it was a very calculated action and not something you'd expect a 'broken man' to be concerned about. But then, not long after the 'broken man' was 'saddened' at discovering he'd killed Reeva, he phoned a friend and thought about locksmiths. So what do I know!

I wonder if JG has been taken out of context? Can't really see him advocating that.

anyway, today's article by Maggie Orford, News24

http://city-press.news24.com/Voices/oscar-pistorius-lethal-version-of-masculinity-20160619
cotton, I think most of us would agree with every word of that excerpt. It really was a hideous display of desperation in a blatant last-ditch attempt to garner sympathy from the judge. I'm glad he did it because it's backfired on him spectacularly. That hobbling killer wasn't hobbling on the night he murdered Reeva and Masipa knows that. Everyone knows that.

Beyond crazy. How does living in a mansion with servants, pool and as much money as you can spend amount to any sort of punishment at all? It's a joke. If he gets to keep his freedom after murdering Reeva, then there's no bloody justice, and the Steenkamps will have held everything together for nothing.

pffft. Gives a whole new meaning for incarceration, doesn't it. Ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Oscar will go to prison for the murder he's been convicted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member