Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a bit of buzz word often used atm, but imo, this whole trial, from beginning to end, is a serious case of 'gaslighting'.

All the witnesses were mistaken, they didn't hear what they heard, they didn't see what they saw. Roux and Masipa agreed, the witnesses were not dishonest (oh, so kind), they were MISTAKEN.

OP's description of Reeva's actions that night reveals she didn't behave in a 'normal' manner and it's to be believed, she was silent...... yet noisy, flinging open the window, slamming the toilet door and locking it, causing OP to go into combat mode. She did not speak a word.

OP can scream like a woman without ever proving it! The ear witnesses only heard OP that night, all the shouting, screaming was him, but ABSOLUTELY NO arguing! Gaslighting at its finest!

OP explains his need to cover the amplifier's LED light yet it never bothered him before. One minute he's as blind a bat because of the darkness, next he's got the eyes of cat.

Cricket bats sound like gunshots, gunshots sound like cricket bats. For some reason, the scenario can't be reenacted convincingly, stomach content tests are not an exact science, 1 + 1 = 3.

OP was extremely security conscious but alarms not activated, ladder up against the wall, broken window downstairs, slept with balcony doors open, but remember, he lives in fear of his life!

OP convinces the court guns go off without pulling the trigger or with any intent. He's the only person capable of such a feat.
OP convinces the witnesses and the court after the fact, that he tried in vain to bring Reeva back to life. He cried a river and the court believed it.

Phones disappear and reappear, a gold watch disappears, Reeva's handbag is removed from the crime scene, no questions asked. But was it a crime scene? Of course not, we're mistaken, it was a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

The ammunition found in the safe belonged to OP's estranged father, this is perfectly normal, he had NO other reason to possess it, believe it or else!
The timeline drawn up by Roux is the correct one, no matter how skewed or confusing. Believe it, I say!

Masipa described OP as a poor witness, an evasive witness, but at the same time, she believed every word he spluttered. Being untruthful doesn't mean he's guilty. He's rewarded for it by a short sentence because he's a fallen hero, why should the truth get in the way.

OP is a magnificent athlete who overcame his disability, a womanizer, party goer, gun lover, who has never considered himself disabled, no wait, scratch that, we're mistaken. He's a vulnerable, anxiety ridden, disabled lost little boy. Shame on us buying his lifestyle for all those years prior to the death of Reeva or while he was out on bail.

Frank, the manservant, who lives on the premises and was there that night, but we have to pretend he doesn't exist?! Frank who?

Masipa describes OP as a fallen hero, like something you'd read in a tabloid magazine, pretty disgusting imo. She's attempting to gaslight the Steenkamps, the people of SA and interested parties that OP is the victim and Reeva the cause of all his woes!!!
Mr and Mrs Steenkamp overlooked again, misquoted, under represented by Masipa and using their grief to relieve OP of his guilt.

I sincerely hope this does not end here. Masipa can't have the last word.

JMO

:goodpost:

Marius du Toi said it was never about Man against woman and abusive relationship (or words to that effect).
He says he's always thought that Pistorius was of the belief that there was an Intruder , the fact that he killed Reeva and she was his girlfriend was just how it transpired, and he'd never thought there was any argument . He's supporting the Defence's Case and Masipa's Judgement,so supporting Pistorius' version.

There is always one isn't there! I know there are a lot of du Toit's in SA but is there any chance he is related to Janette Henzen du Toit? The assessor married into a du Toit family.

I know this is a bit of buzz word often used atm, but imo, this whole trial, from beginning to end, is a serious case of 'gaslighting'.

All the witnesses were mistaken, they didn't hear what they heard, they didn't see what they saw. Roux and Masipa agreed, the witnesses were not dishonest (oh, so kind), they were MISTAKEN.

OP's description of Reeva's actions that night reveals she didn't behave in a 'normal' manner and it's to be believed, she was silent...... yet noisy, flinging open the window, slamming the toilet door and locking it, causing OP to go into combat mode. She did not speak a word.

OP can scream like a woman without ever proving it! The ear witnesses only heard OP that night, all the shouting, screaming was him, but ABSOLUTELY NO arguing! Gaslighting at its finest!

OP explains his need to cover the amplifier's LED light yet it never bothered him before. One minute he's as blind a bat because of the darkness, next he's got the eyes of cat.

Cricket bats sound like gunshots, gunshots sound like cricket bats. For some reason, the scenario can't be reenacted convincingly, stomach content tests are not an exact science, 1 + 1 = 3.

OP was extremely security conscious but alarms not activated, ladder up against the wall, broken window downstairs, slept with balcony doors open, but remember, he lives in fear of his life!

OP convinces the court guns go off without pulling the trigger or with any intent. He's the only person capable of such a feat.
OP convinces the witnesses and the court after the fact, that he tried in vain to bring Reeva back to life. He cried a river and the court believed it.

Phones disappear and reappear, a gold watch disappears, Reeva's handbag is removed from the crime scene, no questions asked. But was it a crime scene? Of course not, we're mistaken, it was a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

The ammunition found in the safe belonged to OP's estranged father, this is perfectly normal, he had NO other reason to possess it, believe it or else!
The timeline drawn up by Roux is the correct one, no matter how skewed or confusing. Believe it, I say!

Masipa described OP as a poor witness, an evasive witness, but at the same time, she believed every word he spluttered. Being untruthful doesn't mean he's guilty. He's rewarded for it by a short sentence because he's a fallen hero, why should the truth get in the way.

OP is a magnificent athlete who overcame his disability, a womanizer, party goer, gun lover, who has never considered himself disabled, no wait, scratch that, we're mistaken. He's a vulnerable, anxiety ridden, disabled lost little boy. Shame on us buying his lifestyle for all those years prior to the death of Reeva or while he was out on bail.

Frank, the manservant, who lives on the premises and was there that night, but we have to pretend he doesn't exist?! Frank who?

Masipa describes OP as a fallen hero, like something you'd read in a tabloid magazine, pretty disgusting imo. She's attempting to gaslight the Steenkamps, the people of SA and interested parties that OP is the victim and Reeva the cause of all his woes!!!
Mr and Mrs Steenkamp overlooked again, misquoted, under represented by Masipa and using their grief to relieve OP of his guilt.

JMO

Yet another fantastic post!!!!

Masipa's quest to try change public opinion isn't going well ......

There is always one isn't there! I know there are a lot of du Toit's in SA but is there any chance he is related to Janette Henzen du Toit? The assessor married into a du Toit family.

So far I think there are only about ten surnames in South Africa.

JMO

Thank you PrimeSuspect. You've said it all. Every line I write I delete because it doesn't adequately describe my disbelief. All I can say is with the time that is passing and no definitive statement from the NPA, it's looking more and more hopeful that there will be an appeal. Surely if it was a no they would have said by now. I think they are working hard at it, to get it right, and the PT is putting up a determined argument for the appeal to be made. This cannot be allowed to stay unchallenged. And I think Masipa should be hauled somewhere (not sure where) and forced to apologise for her words referencing the Steenkamps, publicly. If not then she deserves a public rebuke and shaming, from higher up. This quote from her sentencing remarks must be atoned for. You would think they were the murderers of Pistorius! No one cares whether the murderer caused his own downfall.

"STEENKAMP FAMILY REACTIONSteenkamp's father Barry, who in an emotional statement to the sentencing hearings said Pistorius must pay for his crime, declined to comment on the prospects for an appeal.
"We'll leave that to the state," he told reporters without showing any emotion.
In her ruling on Wednesday, Masipa said that although the Steenkamps had suffered a great loss, Pistorius' life and career were also in ruins.
"The life of the accused shall also never be the same. He is a fallen hero and can never be at peace," she said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-safrica-pistorius-idUSKCN0ZL2T2

I thought he had to serve half his sentence, but apparently on good behaviour he 'could' apply sooner than having served a third of his sentence,
;There's a lot of legal professionals saying he 'could' apply after 2 years, we'll have to wait and see, because there's so many suprises in this Case

I read tweets by Marius due Toit, and im' not impressed, he's very much in agreement with Sentencing and thought it was correct.
Marius du Toit ‏@mariusdutoit 17h17 hours ago
OP version was always the most plausible, but in my view it remained murder deserving jail time.. Maybe 10 years...#OscarPistorious

He also tweeted
Marius du Toit ‏@mariusdutoit Jul 6
Very lenient sentence but i cannot say its wrong #OscarPistorius

Marius du Toit ‏@mariusdutoit Jul 7
My gut says the NPA may attempt another appeal ... Much tougher this time #OscarPistorius

Perhaps he has this view because he is a Defence Lawyer, showing a bit of support for Roux., because majority of Lawyers i've spoken to think her sentencing was wrong,and that's all i'm reading about is all the mistakes Masipa has made yet again - so i don't know why Appealing would be so difficult -this is a travesty and a dangerous precedent she's set for sentencing of Murder , and NPA needs to Appeal,

Well Judge du Toit was a defense lawyer, a prosecutor, and ultimately served as a SA judge, handling 50-100 murder cases. You may not like what he has to say but that does not make what he says wrong. To the contrary, what he said is highly likely the case. I see him as that one truely non partisan voice of experience. He's looking at the case through the eyes of an experienced jurist; if he says an appeal will be difficult it is highly likely that an appeal will be difficult, whether that satisfies you and I or others or not. Remember that he also says that he believes that the NPA will appeal, but as an experience jurists he knows it will not be an easy task.

Regarding your guess that OP will be out in one year (previous post) or two years (this post), those are possibilities I suppose but not facts. Judge du Toit says three years, I believe he has enough experience to say that and have me believe it over all other speculations.

Well Judge du Toit was a defense lawyer, a prosecutor, and ultimately served as a SA judge, handling 50-100 murder cases. You may not like what he has to say but that does not make what he says wrong. To the contrary, what he said is highly likely the case. I see him as that one truely non partisan voice of experience. He's looking at the case through the eyes of an experienced jurist; if he says an appeal will be difficult it is highly likely that an appeal will be difficult, whether that satisfies you and I or others or not. Remember that he also says that he believes that the NPA will appeal, but as an experience jurists he knows it will not be an easy task.

Regarding your guess that OP will be out in one year (previous post) or two years (this post), those are possibilities I suppose but not facts. Judge du Toit says three years, I believe he has enough experience to say that and have me believe it over all other speculations.

"OP version was always the most plausible" (Marius du Toit)

I can't have respect for anyone who says such a thing. There was not an OP version. There were multiple versions, and none of them accepted by the SCA. The court did not have a version to sentence on, bar plain murder.

If he means to say that it was never proved that OP knew Reeva was in the cubicle, then it doesn't make sense to be saying that at this juncture. The sentence is for murder, identity irrelevant.

I remember wondering whether Ulrich Roux was related to Pistorius's Defence Lawyer Roux
Of course he isn't but you're right in what you say.
Confusing.............

LOL That sounds like a lot of inbreeding. I had noticed there were a lot of du Toits in the legal profession and just wondered whether MdT had been exposed to someone close to the case but the likelihood doesn't realistically exist if there are so many of them.

The overriding message from Masipa, while not stated but implicit in the sentence she arrived at, is that she still thinks he must have killed in putative self defence. It must be, because otherwise why bring his circumstances into it at all.

She was wrong and has erred in law again, to pay any attention to mitigation argument, without a version from his mouth of deliberately firing 4 unjustified shots.

I have always thought that threats, or intimidation, as much as bribery may have played a part in procuring the results. The sooner this goes back to the higher court, the better.

I still consider Masipa to be a contemptible person though.
I think a few witnesses could have been intimidated , preventing them from wanting to testify.I remember reading that Sam Taylor Memmory was initimidated by the Pistorius family.
In Court -Roux made Baba out to be a liar too and confused him and i thought his manner was deliberately intimidating to the neighbours in Silverwoods who testified , he confused them.

I couldn't believe how Roux twisted what Baba testified to , Masipa should have interjected.

I am sure it was done as directed by Barry Roux.

I say, didn't Pistorius have his "office" send the Steenkamps some flowers too? I am sure Masipa counted that as showing remorse as well.

Yes, and what about the reference to Pistorius still being single and nothing much having changed for him? I've read in several tabloids that he's back with Jenna Edkins and even seem to recollect reading that she'd moved in with him to provide 'comfort'.

Also, what on earth was Masipa thinking of, referencing the Steenkamps' ability to heal when it was quite clear from Barry Steenkamp's testimony that he hasn't healed, isn't healing and isn't likely to heal?

Thanks, Sherbet. I recall seeing that earlier and had a brief moment of optimism about how Masipa's approach to the obviously serious nature of a murder conviction was legally flawed. But that case was from 12 years ago and I keep reading more things about how the SA approach has continued to steer away from retribution-- mercy and Ubuntu seem to be trending lately-- but I think she has clearly failed the victim's family in terms of restorative justice and society in terms of deterrence.

Sometimes I wonder if Judges develop a bit of cumulative guilt after standing in judgment of so many other human beings-- especially if they have strong Christian leanings-- and this might cause them to tip the scales in the direction of leniency and mercy when it is really not warranted (or legislated).

I also wonder what role the overcrowding of prisons plays in a Judge's sentencing-- do they get directives from above that tell them to please consider shorter sentences or non-custodial sentences whenever the offender is not a danger to society??

I think Swart must still be considered to be sound, given that it was cited in the High Court only last month.

Also, I'm pretty sure that even Ubuntu would require the murderer to confide in the court; otherwise, how would rehabilitation be possible?

We have to bear in mind that the SCA was not at all sympathetic to Pistorius. IMO, this lack of sympathy will play out in a willingness to increase his sentence.

Anneliese Burgess, a spokesperson for the Pistorius family, said the trial had been a “long, drawn out process” and considered the case over.

“To a certain extent there is relief that this is the last chapter, that they won’t be coming back,” she told reporters outside the courthouse.

Carl Pistorius, brother of the former athlete, said on Twitter that the family had “the utmost respect” for Masipa.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/oscar-pistorius-jailed-for-xx-years-reeva-steenkamp

Is it perhaps a little presumptuous to be stating that the case is considered over? That may be the opinion of the arrogant Pistorius family, but for me it ain’t over till the fat lady sings.

If I were in Oscar's shoes I'd be feeling very nervous right now waiting for the 14 days to expire.

Presumptuous indeed. Such arrogance..... But not unexpected. Surely must be appealed.

Anneliese Burgess, a spokesperson for the Pistorius family, said the trial had been a “long, drawn out process” and considered the case over.

“To a certain extent there is relief that this is the last chapter, that they won’t be coming back,” she told reporters outside the courthouse.

Carl Pistorius, brother of the former athlete, said on Twitter that the family had “the utmost respect” for Masipa.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/oscar-pistorius-jailed-for-xx-years-reeva-steenkamp

Is it perhaps a little presumptuous to be stating that the case is considered over? That may be the opinion of the arrogant Pistorius family, but for me it ain’t over till the fat lady sings.

If I were in Oscar's shoes I'd be feeling very nervous right now waiting for the 14 days to expire.

Do they really have to keep being labelled 'arrogant'? They have supported a family member. They have faced labels, threats and criticism for a situation they didn't put themselves into. Pistorius damaged his own family as well as the Steenkamps with his actions on the morning of the 14th. Compassion shouldn't -imo- only be afforded to the victim, her family and friends (their entitlement to sympathy and compassion should go without saying).

This case has dragged on. All involved -whatever side of the courtroom they sit on - have been in a kind of three year limbo. It is natural, surely, that with the sentence increase the family should hope that this is now an end to the process...?

In reality, the trial of Oscar Pistorius fits so snugly into our cultural narrative: promising sports star and/or millionaire violently assaults a woman, seems awfully sorry when he gets pulled up on it, shouldn't have his ambitions and his ability stifled by the inconvenient truth, gets away with it all as close to scot-free as possible.

It's an insult we saw coming a mile off, that increasingly mundane insult to which we have all become accustomed.

But we owe Reeva Steenkamp and women everywhere our outrage today, however subdued and demoralised we might well feel.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/l...lenient-on-rich-white-pistorius-34868705.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member