Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she's going to play this with a straight bat. 15 years less time served.

Going back to your comment about "pay grade" I think that heading for safe harbour is sensible for any Judge.

Love to know which way the judicial winds are blowing

It sounds like she was dismissing Mr Steenkamp's 'perceptions' that they argued that night.

She said there wasn't a "shred of evidence" to support that in her view.... I think she's going to go as soft as she thinks she can get away with.

Is she now setting up a defense for her giving a 'lesser sentence'???

Oh oh.....Here we go with addressing lesser sentencing.

"The more a court feels uneasy about a forced sentence, the more they will feel it is an injustice..."

There it is....she thinks it is an injustice to sentence him to 15, in my opinion

Substantial & Compelling - Malgas again cited.

Judge also refers to S vs Vilakazi case. It’s quite clear that the SCA has already clarified what the compelling circumstances would be.

her discretion to deviate from 15 , as per standard

aggravating factors - high calibre weapon used/into toilet door/ knowing no escape for someone behind the door/ he was trained in firearms/ fired no warning shot

Thank you all for posting. I'm deaf so can't follow a feed so you all are my live feed!

A number of aggravating and mitigating circumstances....lethal weapon...no warning shot....moves quickly on to mitigating...

Masipa speaks about aggravating and mitigating factors. She says there’s a lot of aggravating factors, including lethal firearm, fired four shots, failed to fire a warning shot.

He took immediate steps to save here life. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

mitigating factors - he felt intruder in bathroom/felt threatened / took steps to save deceased life/Stipps evidence that accused implored him to save deceased life

I'm of the opinion he never tried to save her life but was preparing to get rid of her body - until that pesky Dr. Stipp butted his nose in.

Counsel for the State said no compelling circumstances...I disagree....public apology to parents of deceased...

Request to meet parents was repeated more than once...

Mitigating factors, Masipa says he was on his stumps and felt vulnerable. OP also immediately tried to resuscitate Reeva and makes reference to Johan Stipp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesspi