OT: To all the TX Gulf Sleuthers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
well, maybe I AM in the path. I'm in the Dallas area too. I dread this for everyone.

I think we will get pretty STRONG storms here in Dallas like we haven't seen in a long time. We will probably have flash flooding here as well.

I'm going to prepare to stay in all weekend, that's for sure.

Have you done your panic shopping? Bought a generator? I haven't and am sitting here thinking I should.

I think we will get pretty STRONG storms here in Dallas like we haven't seen in a long time. We will probably have flash flooding here as well.

I'm going to prepare to stay in all weekend, that's for sure.

Have you done your panic shopping? Bought a generator? I haven't and am sitting here thinking I should.

No, I'm at work until 5:00 today.

I'm just going to stop at the grocery store on the way home for enough stuff to cover the weekend and get some cash just in case. I live in an apartment on the third floor so I feel kinda safe, I think. The only thing is that our windows are so paper thin that they tend to bow in and out when we have strong winds - I'm going to make sure we have some tape and cardboard just in case the windows blow out.

Oh, and some batteries for the scanner in case we loose power, I would want to know what's happening.

Things are getting CRAZY here! We live in NW Houston and I'd say 25% of our neighborhood has boarded up....they are saying we'll have 75mph sustained winds (in the middle of the night!)

Storm is taking up the whole GOM. Ike is kicking a lot of water. Wherever it hits, it will never be the same. Rumors of gas going up has sent everyone to fill up. Hard to find regular gas here and I am in Tennessee.

yikes....east of Dallas, here. We're told to expect flooding, wind and the ever dreaded power outage. sigh

yikes....east of Dallas, here. We're told to expect flooding, wind and the ever dreaded power outage. sigh

Amster, I'm east of Dallas as well (in Rowlett.)

I wonder how many boneheads DH will have to rescue from high water. You know how folks like to drive around the barricades and go through the water anyway. :rolleyes:

Prayers for all in Texas. Below is the latest. There is an incredible picture of a wave crashing into the Galveston seawall. A freighter adrift is in Ike's path....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/09/12/hurricane.ike.texas/index.html

(snipped from above article)
"Do not take this storm lightly," Michael Chertoff, secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, said Thursday afternoon. "This is not a storm to gamble with. It is large; it is powerful; it carries a lot of water."

Chertoff and representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency said their efforts were focused on evacuations.

Chertoff also urged people not to succumb to "hurricane fatigue," referring to concerns that authorities were overestimating Ike's potential impact.

"Unless you're fatigued with living, I suggest you want to take seriously a storm of this size and scale," he said Thursday."

I love it when a politician doesn't mince words about the important things.

Amster, I'm east of Dallas as well (in Rowlett.)

I wonder how many boneheads DH will have to rescue from high water. You know how folks like to drive around the barricades and go through the water anyway. :rolleyes:

Hi neighbor! :)

We're in Kaufman Co. Just south of Rockwall. My nephew is a first responder with the FWFD....no telling what he and others will have to deal with.

I am smack dab in the middle of Ike's path - in Houston. It's crazy here right now, but what's even crazier is that I've charged 2 batteries for my laptop and 2 for my cell phone because I'm so afraid I'm going to miss something on here, (trying to listen to the interviews while I can)...how sad that is, yes? (ha)

Anyway, thank you all for these comments; they are all so thoughtful!

Many WS prayers and we're here for you steadfast Texas folks when you need us. Godspeed.

we are about 60 miles north east of galveston in Splendora. winds are starting to blow here no rain yet.
the strom surge has waves over the 17' sea wall in galveston. they are saying the storm surge is more like a cat 4 but the wind is still a cat 2. they are in process of rescuing people who thought they could wait it out. They are surround by water. we are about 12 hours from land fall and the storm surge is already worse than rita. keep these people who are waiting to be rescued and the rescuers in your prayers.

Here we are ready for the worst and hoping for the best.

Thanks guys!!

Please keep my 27 yr old daughter in your thoughts and prayers,
she lives in Houston. It's gonna be a rough ride.

** Mods if this is in the wrong place or needs to be moved I apologize and will move if you would prefer. Thank you. **

I know this is off topic for this board, but I just wanted to take a minute and let all of the TX gulf coast WSers (or anyone else affected by Ike) that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am sending positive vibes to you, your family & friends that you will be safe and healthy and will have as little property damage as possible. Be safe and let us all know you are ok when you can.

(((HUGS)))
:blowkiss:
- Melissa

Thanks for all your prayers...we're about 230 miles NE of Galveston and 140 miles from Port Arthur. We're staying put but our small town is packed to the gills. We've even offered up our acreage for RV's. I remember this all too well from Katrina and Rita...what a mess! I'm praying there will be no loss of life this time, wouldn't that be a miracle!

Prayers for you all, and prayers for Tim Miller and Texas Equusearch. I've been through hurricanes before, but this one really scares me. I hope you all will be safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back