Recovered/Located PA - A.Y., 16, Allentown, 5 March 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but to they have phones with them?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1803/14/ptab.01.html

Tonight, we also have a desperate search for a missing 16-year-old girl believed to be with, are you ready? A 44-year-old friend of the family. Not sure how good of a friend, but that 44-year-old friend of the family is a daddy of his own with four kids.

Reports are these two were spotted on a flight from Philadelphia to Dallas. We`re going to talk with the man who said he saw them. Coming up, next.

[18:15:00] (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

[18:19:55] BANFIELD: Most people would say it`s acceptable to board a flight and ask other passengers to swap out seats so you can sit with your travel buddy. When you board your flight late, hurried with lots of baggage and you are a married father of four trying to cuddle with your teenage travel partner, that`s when some people might take notice.

And one passenger on a flight from Philly to Dallas definitely took notice. Frank Castrovinci spent under four hours eyeballing an unusual duo on this flight that he was on and it just might be the duo that authorities are desperate to track down. Sixteen-year-old AY and her friend`s 45-year-old married father of four, Kevin Esterly.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

JOHN Y, AY`S BROTHER: She left.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: What do you mean she left?

Y: She just walked out she just went somewhere. My mom was upset and I was upset also. I felt mad.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Why mad?

Y: Because what her actions did and what her -- like what he did.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: Well, we don`t know everything he did or she did, but we do know some of what they allegedly did before they left town. Police say they texted each other like a boyfriend and girlfriend. And that Kevin posed as her step-daddy, signing her out of school not once or twice, but 10 different times.

And then last week the two reportedly took thousands of dollars, some valuables and jewelry, personal documents and a passport from their homes before both disappearing together. Remember that airline passenger, Frank Castrovinci? He was the first person who has reportedly seen them.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FRANK CASTROVINCI, WITNESS: I just started thinking I wonder if he adopted this young girl. But then I saw her leaning on him, which daughters do, but the way he was rubbing her leg, it just did not seem like a father-daughter situation.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: With me now is Jaccii Farris, reporter at CNN affiliate W -- WFMZ. Jaccii, this flight, any idea of the time frame in terms of the last time that A was seen, and Frank seen them on this airline flight. How much lead time was it?

JACCII FARRIS, REPORTER, CNN AFFILIATE WFMZ: Well, apparently, A got up early on March 5th, went to the bus stop with her brother. Her brother said she ran away from the bus stop and then we fast forward to about 3.30 is when the flight from Philadelphia to Dallas was scheduled to take off.

And as your viewers heard, you know, they came on the flight late. They were trying to switch seats and made their way to Dallas. But before they went, we were told by A`s mother that she took roughly $10,000 in her mother`s passport and then Esterly took roughly $4,000 from his estranged wife`s bank account before getting on that plane.

BANFIELD: Well, that`s never good. I`m sure she was livid and there are reports that she then made her way over to the Y household right away, I believe notifying A`s parents or at least her mom who called the police right away.

There is also this report of the car they were in. The 1999 red Honda Accord Tudor with the Pennsylvania plates. Is there now some report that that car is not going to be the best indication clearly of where they are going to be?

FARRIS: Well, Allentown police are saying they believe the car is in the Philadelphia area. Now whether it`s in the area surrounding the airport or if it`s in one of the airport parking lots, you can imagine Philadelphia International Airport is a very large airport with a lot of cars and perhaps police are saying, you know, at this point maybe the license plate scanners hadn`t picked it up, but they believe that the car was ditched in the Philadelphia area and that Esterly and Y went to the airport from wherever the car is at and got on that plane.

BANFIELD: OK. Jacccii, hold on for a minute, if you will. I want to bring in Frank Castrovinci. He believes he was on that flight from Philadelphia to Dallas with Kevin Esterly and AY. Frank, can you hear me OK?

CASTROVINCI: Yes, I can.

BANFIELD: Can you describe for me a little bit about the moment you first sort of set eye upon this couple and then take me from there, walk me through what you saw and what their behavior was like.

CASTROVINCI: Sure. They boarded the plane late. I think you alluded to that earlier. I was sitting on my seat on the aisle. There were two vacant seats in my, one to middle seats, one behind the other and again they boarded late. He had a desire to sit next to her. So he was looking for volunteers to move so that he could sit by her during the trip.

So that caught my attention and he did finally get a couple of people to move. They sat together one row up and across the aisle from where I was sitting.

[18:25:08] BANFIELD: So then where they were -- sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to ask you, Frank, when they were seated, that`s a long flight. You had a fair amount of time to sort of observe the behavior of this couple. It`s weird to call them a couple, but what did you think when you saw them?

Did you think they were father and daughter, did you think they were lovers? And did that change throughout the course of the flight?

CASTROVINCI: yes, during the course of the flight, that changed. I mean, my initial thoughts were here was a guy that adopted a girl, you know, she looked obviously much younger. So, but I thought it was interesting that the mother wasn`t there. So, but, who knows? I mean, they were just traveling together. Maybe they were going to visit the mother. I didn`t know.

But during the trip, it seemed a little bit odd the way she was leaning up against him and how he was -- how he was rubbing her leg and it seemed like his hand was quivering a little bit. You know, so again, I just picked up on that and just I thought it seemed unusual. I wondered what was going on, but that`s as far as I thought about it.

BANFIELD: So then also they were the last ones to get on board the plane. I think we`ve all been there as we`ve watched people get on board in a hurried and rushed way especially with a lot of -- a lot of -- what did they seem like? Did they have heavy excessive carry on and were they -- did they look like they rushed to catch that plane?

CASTROVINCI: Well, I wouldn`t say it looked like they rushed. When they were boarding at least she was pretty quiet and calm during the process. He was, you know, kind of taking charge and trying to get them situated. They did have a couple of each had a carryon bag, you know, maybe a backpack or duffle bag kind of thing.

You know, they were struggling trying to shove it under the seats. The flight attendant had asked them a couple of times to get it under the seats. They were loaded up pretty good for a carry on, you know, on a full flight. So, again, there were little things like that that just drew my attention. Now there was always something happening. He wanted a blanket for her because she was cold. They didn`t have a blanket on the flight. So normally I wouldn`t even notice I couldn`t tell you who was sitting across the aisle from me, but there were just -- there was always something happening with them. Several times throughout the flight it drew my attention to them, which is why I was able to remember them.

BANFIELD: Doesn`t seem like they were trying to stay under the radar whoever they might be. And that bring me to my next question. You`ve now -- I mean, this was Monday. This was not in the news. You had no idea anybody was missing. You didn`t get home until Friday -- I think it was Thursday four days later.

(CROSSTALK)

CASTROVINCI: Thursday, right.

BANFIELD: And then this all pops up on the news and all these pictures start cycling across the screen. Are you, do you feel certain, Frank that you saw A and Kevin? Or are you sort of 90 percent? How much can you qualify how convinced you are that it was them?

CASTROVINCI: I`m as certain as I could be. I mean, I`d be shocked if it wasn`t them. I`m as close to 100 percent certain as it could be. You know, again, it was a young Asian girl with very long hair, straight hair. You know, middle, 40 something-year-old gentleman with a, you know, kind of greased hair combed to the side and glasses.

I came back Thursday, it would have been 10.30 at night roughly then I was looking at the local news. I don`t know when the photos hit, but when I saw them, I mean, it was immediate that I recognized them.

BANFIELD: Well, I`m sure that -- and you had spoken with the police about this. You called them and clearly --

(CROSSTALK)

CASTROVINCI: Correct.

BANFIELD: Yes. Because that`s the kind of thing that they`d be able to start tracking down video inside an airport, et cetera and try to make that confirmation.

CASTROVINCI: Right.

BANFIELD: Frank, stand by, if you can, please.

CASTROVINCI: Sure.

BANFIELD: I want to bring in John Y. John Y is A`s brother. Fifteen years old. John, can you hear me OK?

Y: Yes.

BANFIELD: So John, thank you very much for joining us. I know you and your mom are just, you know, just very -- you know, devastated about the situation that you`re in right now. It`s been over a week and I know that you are doing everything you can with the police to find A and I`m sure your mom is beside herself about this.

Tell me a little bit about the moment that Kevin`s wife came over to your house and notified you and your mom that Kevin had disappeared. Tell me what happened that day and that moment.

Y: My mom dropped me and my sister to the bus stop at school. And then they left when my sister left, because I mean, I didn`t know where she was. I was regularly and then that was it.

[18:30:00] I don`t know where she went and when I got the call when I came back after school, they said that they went with Kevin and that was about it.

BANFIELD: So, was -- and Kevin`s wife, her name is Stacey.

Y (via telephone): Yes.

BANFIELD: About a week before this -- actually I think it was a month before this, Kevin and his wife, Stacey, came to your home and your mom --

BANFIELD: -- had to call the police and the police came to your home and they gave a warning to Kevin and Stacey to stay away from your home. What happened that night or that afternoon or that day that Kevin came to your home with his wife? What kind of words were exchanged between those two --

Y (via telephone): There was a meeting that time. My neighbors were there, my friends were there, and my mom`s friend was there. And they were blasting, yelling about they think that A and Kevin actually are sleeping together and doing some stupid stuff and the neighbor got pissed off and called the cops.

BANFIELD: So this is -- this is Kevin`s wife.

BANFIELD: I`m only assuming here that this is Kevin`s wife --

Y(via telephone): Yes, right.

BANFIELD: -- coming to your home, dragging her husband along. Did he seem to be accusing A of something or did she seem to be accusing A of something?

Y(via telephone): I think they know or they planned to do this. I think it was both of their ideas because A is not that stupid to learn this stuff. She obviously knows how to do it.

BANFIELD: Well, I`m still curious about the -- a month before they disappeared, you know, Kevin, this 44-year-old married father of four
children ages, as I understand it, 14, 10 or 11, five or six, and two years old. Four daughters.

He and his wife come to your house a month ago and there`s a lot of of yelling and accusations. The police are called. But what are they yelling about? What are Kevin and his wife yelling about and who was doing the yelling?

Y (via telephone): It was just -- the yelling was only Kevin and Stacey. They went to my house and the neighbor came to talk about it. It is about A. They think about the stuff that A and Kevin were wrong. That they were like sleeping together or having sex or something.

BANFIELD: Was Kevin denying it in this meeting? Was he angry about it?

Y (via telephone): Yes. He was denying and angry. That was the day after on February 9th when my mother got rid of Kevin from the school thing or guardian or contact or whatever.

BANFIELD: Yes, it looks like and I will just read this here. It looks as though on the 9th, Kevin is told by the school that he is not allowed to be on school grounds again.

Y(via telephone): He`s not allowed to set foot on school grounds.

BANFIELD: OK. And then the next day, the police are at his house and both his wife and he are actually given citations by the police for harassing one another. So there`s something going on between Kevin and his wife. They are very, very angry with each other on February 15th. And then --

Y (via telephone): Because I don`t know, but they said that they were arguing and yelling and Kevin got mad. It was on a Monday when he left. Not last Monday. It was when Kevin almost did something bad to Stacey and the older daughter saw it and called the police and the police didn`t do anything and Kevin left.

BANFIELD: So, yes, just so I can clear that timeline. February 10th, the police are at Kevin`s ouse and giving citations to his wife and him both for behavior towards each other.

Y(via telephone): Yes.

BANFIELD: Five days later, they are at your home and the police are called and Kevin and his wife are told to stay away. And one month later, Kevin is gone with AY.

They have $4000 from KE's wife's account, whatever other money KE saved, and the money and jewelry AY stole from her mother. They could survive longer than TC and MCET did, assuming they spend frugally.

I'm now thinking (thanks to Rodnester) that KE probably sold the red Honda Accord in the morning, just before they left. He could have arranged to meet a buyer and then caught a cab or taken a bus to the airport. I'm also thinking that he bought another car in Dallas. If he planned ahead, he could even have arranged to meet a private seller the same day they arrived in Dallas. Then he has transportation that LE cannot trace.

Anything is possible till there is more known, just some more things more probable based on what you assume. Selling the car would provide more money, but adds time to his getaway if you subscribe to the theory he was trying to rush to get the first plane out of town. LE can confirm soon when the new buyer applies for a registration. Buy a car in Dallas? Again adds more time but possible. But that would take money out of his pocket (paying no more that what he got for the car he sold in Philly, otherwise he is in a loss situation)..
Cummins bought a kayak retail (1400 IIRC) to get to Mexico and after abandoning sold it used according to reports netting a big loss from his available money. When they were caught they were down to eating wildflowers.
That money can go pretty quick if not used right. And there are no reports of sightings at stores to buy things - Cummins, Jakub, Rodriguez all spotted at stores - she needs to wear more than "pretty things".

So according to the previous article, they had at total of $14,000+. That changes things a bit. It says A stole $10,000.00 ( I am assuming that this is the total value of the jewelry taken) and, if I am reading right, her mothers passport? Although $10,000.00 in jewelry might not get one much if they try to sell it. I would guess they would be lucky to see $2,500.00.

Has anyone seen it confirmed by the police that they were actually on this flight? I know there is an eyewitness but eyewitnesses have been wrong in the past. Suppose the police suspect that these two are still in the north east USA. Would they let this story linger out there hoping that KE and AY see it and maybe let there guard down? It would not seem to have an effect on the investigation if police where to confirm ( and I am sure they know) that they were on the flight.

So according to the previous article, they had at total of $14,000+. That changes things a bit. It says A stole $10,000.00 ( I am assuming that this is the total value of the jewelry taken) and, if I am reading right, her mothers passport? Although $10,000.00 in jewelry might not get one much if they try to sell it. I would guess they would be lucky to see $2,500.00.

Has anyone seen it confirmed by the police that they were actually on this flight? I know there is an eyewitness but eyewitnesses have been wrong in the past. Suppose the police suspect that these two are still in the north east USA. Would they let this story linger out there hoping that KE and AY see it and maybe let there guard down? It would not seem to have an effect on the investigation if police where to confirm ( and I am sure they know) that they were on the flight.

I don't think LE have confirmed this yet. Although, I'm hopeful they will be able to confirm this - (flight records, surveillance at both airports etc).

Can you link the article this came from?

I don't think LE have confirmed this yet. Although, I'm hopeful they will be able to confirm this - (flight records, surveillance at both airports etc).

I think it would be very easy for LE to confirm if they were on the flight. The flight manifest would list them.

"...she took roughly $10,000 in her mother`s passport"

I first took this to mean that the mother had $10K in cash folded in her passport, sort of as if it was hidden emergency money.
But the "in" may be a typo and should be "and".

If it's $10000 worth of jewelry, would it be stated as "jewelry" instead of the sum $10K ?

I dunno

This guy is a FRUITLOOP.

From recent personal experience, as long as the child has a ticket in their name and photo ID that matches the name on the ticket, it doesn't matter who they're flying with. In the past year, I've had occasion to fly within the U.S. with three different kids, none of whom were related to me or had the same last name, and was never once stopped or questioned about who they were or why they were with me. I even asked one time and was told as long as their ID matches their ticket and my ID matches my ticket, we're good to go.

Correct. I worked as a commercial pilot before going back to grad school and going into LE. There are no DOT regulations on minors traveling, those policies are set by the airlines. Most airlines allow any person 16 or over with government issued ID to travel alone (some go as young as 15 years for that) and if they have a passport and any visa required (not all countries require a visa) they can travel international unaccompanied. No note from a parent is needed, so if they "split up" during the boarding process, no one would question them being together.

I'm not sure on the $10,000 either. I'm fairly certain that would not fit IN a passport. However I don't have a ton of experience with passports or thousand in cash.

I do wonder if it's a language difference or something because there are a few times when the brother doesn't completely make sense. So I guess we can assume they believe they have $14k worth of stuff and/or cash.

The timing of the announcement "days later" is what is important. I'm sure border security was alerted sooner. The fact that the announcement happened WHEN it did means to me anyway that they think they are still on this side of the border.
And announcing it got to KE since they are monitoring the broadcasts.

Or they KNOW they are not on this side of the border, but don't want them to know they know.
Or they have no freaking idea.

"...she took roughly $10,000 in her mother`s passport"

I first took this to mean that the mother had $10K in cash folded in her passport, sort of as if it was hidden emergency money.
But the "in" may be a typo and should be "and".

If it's $10000 worth of jewelry, would it be stated as "jewelry" instead of the sum $10K ?

I dunno

Yes this is a confusing article. It does shed some light on what led up to them taking off. I believe this was planned from about the 9th to the 15th. Once KE saw that things were going real bad real quick. I had always thought that his goal was to start a new life with AY ( as sickening as that sounds) but I am starting to fear that he is in self preservation mode. I am thinking he wanted her along to keep her as far away from local law enforcement as possible. Is it strange that we have heard so little about this guy? It seems there is almost no information about his history etc. Usually there are friends and family stating how shocked they are by the events and how this is so "not like" whomever is responsible. So far it seems like there is very little being said.

Anything is possible till there is more known, just some more things more probable based on what you assume. Selling the car would provide more money, but adds time to his getaway if you subscribe to the theory he was trying to rush to get the first plane out of town. LE can confirm soon when the new buyer applies for a registration. Buy a car in Dallas? Again adds more time but possible. But that would take money out of his pocket (paying no more that what he got for the car he sold in Philly, otherwise he is in a loss situation)..
Cummins bought a kayak retail (1400 IIRC) to get to Mexico and after abandoning sold it used according to reports netting a big loss from his available money. When they were caught they were down to eating wildflowers.
That money can go pretty quick if not used right. And there are no reports of sightings at stores to buy things - Cummins, Jakub, Rodriguez all spotted at stores - she needs to wear more than "pretty things".

Yes, absolutely, anything is possible. But KE had quite a bit of time to prepare (Feb 15 he was told to stay away from AY) and could have arranged to sell the car a few days ahead of time. And yes, I assume that LE would find out about it through DMV registration if this theory holds water, and it's entirely possible that he just ditched the car as well.

I'm just thinking that if KE hasn't bought a car, then they are wandering around with backpacks or bags of stuff, and taking buses or taxis everywhere, which exposes them to detection more than having a vehicle would.

It's not been stated in MSM, yet, as to the status of their phones.

Although it has been stated that LE believe the two are following their own case on SM. So, it's a good bet they do have some type of device(s).

If A is flying on her mother's passport, I wonder if Esterly also took someone else's passport? Does he have a brother, friend or coworker he could pass for?
(I'm NOT asking anyone to sleuth those people, just theorizing)

If A is flying on her mother's passport, I wonder if Esterly also took someone else's passport? Does he have a brother, friend or coworker he could pass for?
(I'm NOT asking anyone to sleuth those people, just theorizing)

Would still be trackable just under a different name. TSA is not the greatest about studying photos sometimes. I'm not sure what her mom looks like, but does she really correspond in looks etc enough to pass for her mother's age?

Also, does her mother just have 10K in cash laying around the house? That seems a bit odd to me, but I know some people are afraid of banks...maybe the language barrier?

According to this he has past arrests/criminal records as well as Liens/lawsuits or bankruptcies: https://www.mylife.com/kevin-esterly/e211659801618

Can anyone find his records? TIA.

Bumping this forward. Check out the reviews posted. Why did the name in the URL change? It was very clearly Kevin Esterly when I posted but now it says another name. What is going on? I wonder if that could be who he stole a passport from? :thinking:

Would still be trackable just under a different name. TSA is not the greatest about studying photos sometimes. I'm not sure what her mom looks like, but does she really correspond in looks etc enough to pass for her mother's age?

Also, does her mother just have 10K in cash laying around the house? That seems a bit odd to me, but I know some people are afraid of banks...maybe the language barrier?

There are pictures of the mom posted on the DM site for this story IMO I don't think she would pass for the mom.
I'mn not reading that she took the mom's passport, only the money in it. Mom did previously say that AY took the her own documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilda