Recovered/Located PA - A.Y., 16, Allentown, 5 March 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point that the school should have notified mom when she didn't show up.

From the presser, I find it interesting that A. was reported missing as a runaway but Esterly was reported as "missing, endangered" by a family member (and police would not name the family member at the presser). It should have been immediately obvious they might be together but I think neither family expected this, despite all the red flags. When A. was missing the first reaction was to think she ran away. When Esterly was missing they think he is endangered-- did they think he might be suicidal? What communications did he leave his family that might hint he was in danger?

Honestly, it could be that when they discovered him missing that the first reaction was that something nefarious happened to him. The family could have easily still been in denial about the allegations and recent developments involving A. . Or they weren't in denial about A., but still holding him to a golden standard of "he would never leave his children, so something nefarious happened".

OR it could have been KE's mother, or sibling and thought that SE or someone in SE's family hurt him due to the turmoil over A..

Who knows! We don't know the depth of what each side of the family SE vs. KE knew about A., the police interventions, etc.

My children attend this school. I can assure you that calls are made to parents alerting them of their child’s absence by 9:30. Remember that there is a language barrier here, and maybe her mother can’t understand the automated calls. Also, I’m sure many teenagers are depended on to translate documents sent home to non English speaking parents. I am positive this is how AY was able to add KE as her stepdad, and I’m pretty sure at 16, I was easily able to forge my mom’s signature.
This is a very important point! My best friend is Chinese and growing up she had to translate every school, government, etc., message and form for her parents. If she had gone missing and they received a message via phone, I can totally see it taking longer to either get a translator or figure out what the message says.

I was wondering how she managed to change the emergency contact information. I think you are probably spot on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LE could probably track the subsequent flights as well. Right? I don't know much about air traffic international policies, but I would think there must be a record of some sort.

They could have taken a local bus to somewhere else and taken a flight from there. ...or bribed a taxi driver with a couple hundred bucks to drive them to wherever.

They could have taken a local bus to somewhere else and taken a flight from there. ...or bribed a taxi driver with a couple hundred bucks to drive them to wherever.
They had so many options. [emoji20]

LE could probably track the subsequent flights as well. Right? I don't know much about air traffic international policies, but I would think there must be a record of some sort.

I do know a little bit about air traffic international policies, somewhat indirectly from a past work assignment. Every trip into or out of the country is logged into a searchable database, and that includes small aircraft, not just the big airlines. The part I don't know is how quickly LE can retrieve records from the database.

Agree. Or they could have booked on some foreign airline. There will still be records I am sure, but may take time to obtain them.

This is a very important point! My best friend is Chinese and growing up she had to translate every school, government, etc., message and form for her parents. If she had gone missing and they received a message via phone, I can totally see it taking longer to either get a translator or figure out what the message says.

I was wondering how she managed to change the emergency contact information. I think you are probably spot on.

Upthread I posted two links from the TV online site.They reported that they had video of him in the office with her changing the list adding him and then they walked out the door.

Yup, spot on.

Translators are always in a position of power. I had a customer trying to communicate to me through my employee(translator) that they had already paid for product/service in cash. Cash was not accepted so there was no payment. Customers often try to scam, but long story short my employee was skewing the translation because the employee took and pocketed the cash.

This poor mother was at a disadvantage trying to parent a child that had more knowledge and leverage to use against her mom. :(

"For the first time since her husband went missing, Stacey Esterly gave a statement to the Morning Call on Friday, also pleading for A. Y. and Kevin Esterly to return home from Mexico.

Through a lawyer, Stacey Esterly said she and her husband have been fighting constantly since the summer about his relationship with A. Y.

“Kevin indicated that he was attempting to be her dad, a father figure to A.,” attorney John Waldron said. “Stacey did not believe it to be merely a father-daughter relationship and that’s why there were fights. They were fighting every day over A.” "

- http://live.mcall.com/Event/LIVE_Allentown_police_news_conference_on_Amy_Yu#nt=screamer

SINCE THE SUMMER????

:jawdrop:

I saw the whole father figure thing coming from a mile away.

My children attend this school. I can assure you that calls are made to parents alerting them of their child’s absence by 9:30. Remember that there is a language barrier here, and maybe her mother can’t understand the automated calls. Also, I’m sure many teenagers are depended on to translate documents sent home to non English speaking parents. I am positive this is how AY was able to add KE as her stepdad, and I’m pretty sure at 16, I was easily able to forge my mom’s signature.

The mom seems to be at least minimally functional in English in interviews and the message would only need to be short "A. is not at school". Seems she should be able to handle that. And ours used backup numbers (primary home landline, mobile backup in case there was no answer/voice mail at primary).

Does the mom work? If she was not at home and a voicemail was left on a machine then if AY went back to the house to grab luggage and money in the morning she could erase the message and avoid detection giving them time. Somehow she was able to avoid notification for several hours giving them time.

Federal law applies when they cross state lines and the minor is under the age of 18.
(IMO - getting real tired people don't know this, been posted many time in this and other forums)

Yes, absolutely, you are correct. Thanks for the info! I'm also hoping, however, that PA will throw the book at him -- that's why I researched it. The people of the State of Pennsylvania deserve justice as well, IMO.

That perv deserves all he gets, and more. :(

SINCE THE SUMMER????

:jawdrop:

I saw the whole father figure thing coming from a mile away.

bet the other kids suspected something and knew about the contention. She may have gotten a lot of ridicule from other students noticing her getting signed out - maybe bullying. Sounds so much like the MCET/Cummins situatiion.

Why didn't A.'s brother immediately notify his mom?

Didn't the brother say that their mom dropped them off at the bus stop and that then she ran away from the stop. So the brother knew she wasn't at school the whole time?

I'm in no way saying that this is the brother's fault. AY and KE would have found a way to runaway together eventually.

bet the other kids suspected something and knew about the contention. She may have gotten a lot of ridicule from other students noticing her getting signed out - maybe bullying. Sounds so much like the MCET/Cummins situatiion.

She apparently sent a message on some social media a day or so before she disappeared that said something about "tired of people that don't like me" or something to that effect. I bet you're right, there were kids at school that suspected what was going on and she was getting flack for it. If she was losing friends, that helps provided incentive to run away.

If the child is under 17 and LE has enough information to believe that an immediate broadcast to the public will enhance the efforts of law enforcement to locate the child and apprehend the suspect they can issue the alert. In my opinion, just traveling to Mexico has within it enough risk to Amy to warrant the warning. I flew as a corporate pilot for a large US manufacturer before going into law enforcement. We would NEVER spend the night in Mexico but would drop off the CEO in the cities where he had a couple of manufacturing facilities and then fly back over the border, into California or Texas and then go pick him up when he was ready to go back. As a female with bright red hair with a copilot that was a young blond male, we didn't exactly blend in. It was too dangerous to spend the night in everyone's opinion and my boss hired a Mexican security firm with drivers and armed protection that provided such services to Fortune 500 companies traveling to Mexico.

Great info on both topics, GraceG -- thanks!

Now I'm more alarmed than before -- AY & KE won't blend in one bit -- tourists, for sure -- probably have money -- isn't she pretty. Makes me <shiver> for her -- and I don't see KE playing Rescue Man if things get ruff. SMH

:welcome:

Being local to the area and the school will be extremely helpful! Thanks for joining the discussion!

Why didn't A.'s brother immediately notify his mom?

Didn't the brother say that their mom dropped them off at the bus stop and that then she ran away from the stop. So the brother knew she wasn't at school the whole time?

I'm in no way saying that this is the brother's fault. AY and KE would have found a way to runaway together eventually.

He probably just didn't want his sister to get in trouble and just thought she was ditching school for the day. Maybe she told him something. She obviously wasn't concerned that he would tell anyone anytime soon. I'm sure he feels terrible now. Poor kid.

Great info on both topics, GraceG -- thanks!

Now I'm more alarmed than before -- AY & KE won't blend in one bit -- tourists, for sure -- probably have money -- isn't she pretty. Makes me <shiver> for her -- and I don't see KE playing Rescue Man if things get ruff. SMH

This is exactly what worries me. She is a very pretty girl and I don't how much protection he could give if they run into the wrong people. Worst case scenario is they find him dead in a ditch somewhere and A. is never heard from again. I'm furious at him for taking her at all, but especially taking her down there.

Your'e ignoring the rules of evidence., the same thinking that let Casey Anthony off.
If you wake up in the morning and the ground and grass and cars are wet you can deduce that it rained overnight even if you didn't see it.
I'm sure they didn't video anything.

ETA - Federal law will prevail. Cummins is first going on trial in Federal court for the Mann act vioaltions. The state of TN will be next, and I believe California was also to file charges. He could be charged in any state they traveled through (Missouri, Colorado) though they may not bother. He is now 51 years old awaiting trial. For Federal he likely be convicted and sentenced to a 10 year minimum, or more. Then the state trails start. He likely will spend the rest of his natural life behind bars.

Makes sense to me -- Mann Act, crossing state lines -- Cummins could be in for it -- let's hope so. And it could be a harbinger for what might happen to Esterly -- when he is caught (not if). :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avah