PA - Amtrak train from Washington crashes in Philadelphia, May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is just too logical,,, it fits....some kids were chucking rocks at trains in that 20 minute peroid .

Once again the media is behind WS! There are three trains invovled - NTSB needs to talk to all three CNN is reporting two trains come on guys get it together -

how do we get all this stuff and they remain clueless for days and days ........ AT the very beginning of this story a fellow slutehter reported on the two incidents before the derailment ...................

oh my goodness his friend is just too slow for me I imagine him to be a fast talker and bright .....

does CNN pay these people to come on?

Once again the media is behind WS! There are three trains invovled - NTSB needs to talk to all three CNN is reporting two trains come on guys get it together -

how do we get all this stuff and they remain clueless for days and days ........ AT the very beginning of this story a fellow slutehter reported on the two incidents before the derailment ...................

oh my goodness his friend is just too slow for me I imagine him to be a fast talker and bright .....

does CNN pay these people to come on?
It was being reported or mentioned early on the first night, about the other two trains being hit by projectiles and someone posted about it here. However it was then reported that those incidences were not related. I remember that because I posted that I had just heard that on TV.

And, his friend (that guy) was quite odd, imo.

He says it but I don't believe it IMO
I can believe it. Didn't he get a bunch of staples on his head? I was in a car accident a couple of years ago driving back from a shopping trip an hour away. I made it about halfway home when I was rear ended at a red light, I had five staples in my head from a flashlight that went flying. I never lost consciousness, but I can not remember that last half hour. I remember buying an iced coffee as I was leaving the city and I even remember the impact, but it's like the time in between was knocked right out of my brain by the flashlight.

However, I can also believe that the "I don't remember" is just a convenient excuse to not talk about what really happened.

I can believe it. Didn't he get a bunch of staples on his head? I was in a car accident a couple of years ago driving back from a shopping trip an hour away. I made it about halfway home when I was rear ended at a red light, I had five staples in my head from a flashlight that went flying. I never lost consciousness, but I can not remember that last half hour. I remember buying an iced coffee as I was leaving the city and I even remember the impact, but it's like the time in between was knocked right out of my brain by the flashlight.

However, I can also believe that the "I don't remember" is just a convenient excuse to not talk about what really happened.

I believe you. Not sure I believe him. Glad you are ok.

dont know why , but I believe him! he had 15 staples in his skull, stitches on another part of his body, and a screwed up knee-- he was pretty beat up!

I looked it up , decided not to post it (!) but 15 staples is about a 6 inch gash in your head- sounds like concusiion material

Mayor Michael Nutter said the engineer did "a pretty short interview (then) indicated that he didn't want" to talk more. The mayor noted Bostian survived after his engine car "tumbled over and over" and that he doesn't have to offer more information right away.

"He doesn't have to be interviewed if he doesn't want to at this particular stage," Nutter said. "That's kind of how the system works."

I think I would want to lie down and hope to god they gave me really good pain medication and be left alone. For some reason , I feel empathetic for him at this point - when watching some of the videos I thought god what must that be like to see your train (that you love) , like that, all over the news - see your pictures up on the screen - listen to people call you a liar - see the death toll rise - see the houndreds of police all over the place - relentless media coverage- hear that dozens of people are still all banged up in the hospital- see all those cranes picking up your train, watching your train be put on a truck all banged up - all the while your in huge pain, some pretty heavy stuff, actually , IMO

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/14/us/philadelphia-amtrak-train-derailment/

OK...I was just going by what you said in your post.

I am not saying that this train wasn't hit by something. I am not saying he thought he was further down the track and made a tragic mistake. It wouldn't be my first instinct after my train was hit by something to suddenly speed up. Maybe that's just me. I have no idea what they are trained to do - if anything.

I do have a question though. Are their signs for the engineers along the route? Like we have on our roads? You don't speed up to the posted speed limit until you see the sign. I forget if it's past the sign...I should probably know that before my next driver's test, though! LOL!!

I want to know how these engineers are made aware of the speed limits, and the changes.

Engineers, before they become qualified to operate trains on a certain division, are expected to know the speed limits in all areas. For example 125 mph on a long tangent, 80 mph approaching a curve, 50 mph in the 45 degree curve, and then 100 coming out of the curve. There are no signs except when track work has caused the speed limit(s) to drop. It's part of knowing your railroad.

Engineers, before they become qualified to operate trains on a certain division, are expected to know the speed limits in all areas. For example 125 mph on a long tangent, 80 mph approaching a curve, 50 mph in the 45 degree curve, and then 100 coming out of the curve. There are no signs except when track work has caused the speed limit(s) to drop. It's part of knowing your railroad.

Interesting! Thanks for the information...

SO...how is that you see curves in front of you. Or where you know you can speed up, where you know you have to slow down. I would imagine going 125 MPH and you are coming up on a curve, it would take some time to slow down. How far ahead of you can you see these upcoming curves?

That is helpful TY!

IMO he should have memory soon. Could be weeks if bonafide. Yet IMO I think it could be Lawyer speak too. Not blaming him either for having a Lawyer.

Most attorneys will advise their clients that it is better to say one "doesn't remember or can't recall" certain circumstances of a particular incident rather than incriminate themselves with questionable comments or statements that become subject to contentious cross-examination.

Search window shattered amtrak on twitter. Unconfirmed but supposed to have happened right before derailment. Interestingly this happened on a train last year in Virginia but the train did not derail.

I also find it interesting that 6 days ago a window was broken by an unknown object near Baltimore. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/commuting/bs-md-ci-amtrak-incident-20150504-story.html this is also supposed to be one of the Amtrac Acela trains that derailed today.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/us/philadelphia-amtrak-train-derailment/index.html

Did I tell y'all or what?

I've been on that train when it has been hit by an object a few times.
So loud and scary!

It was being reported or mentioned early on the first night, about the other two trains being hit by projectiles and someone posted about it here. However it was then reported that those incidences were not related. I remember that because I posted that I had just heard that on TV.

And, his friend (that guy) was quite odd, imo.

Yes, that was reported from the start. But projectile wouldn't cause the train to accelerate as it did. The other two trains that got hit didn't accelerate. This engineer was reportedly super concerned about safety, posting about safety, etc. Also experienced engineer. It's not uncommon for trains to be hit by something. So it doesn't make much sense to me that he would be so freaked out by something hitting a window.

What if he already had his hand on the throttle to slow down from seventy to fifty, the projectile hits and he is stunned or injured. Wouldn't it be possible for him to unintentionally push the throttle forward then snap out of it and that's when the break was applied. If he was injured could he of been coherent enough to talk to another about the projectile, but out of it enough not to realize he was pushing the throttle forward?

What if he already had his hand on the throttle to slow down from seventy to fifty, the projectile hits and he is stunned or injured. Wouldn't it be possible for him to unintentionally push the throttle forward then snap out of it and that's when the break was applied. If he was injured could he of been coherent enough to talk to another about the projectile, but out of it enough not to realize he was pushing the throttle forward?

No projectile entered the cockpit. If there even was a projectile.

This is exactly what I was going to say if no one said it first.
If a rock comes through the window and hits him in the head...
He could obviously be totally out of it.

I've had a couple of head injuries and they can really mess with you.
Even the ones that don't require staples can do a number on a person. :twocents:

No projectile entered the cockpit. If there even was a projectile.

Link? I hadn't heard that and it would clearly blow our theory to pieces.
I'm not sure how they could have confirmed that at this point though.

Is it normal for rocks to hit a train like this? And, does this happen all over the country, or is it in this once area of the east coast?

Train windscreens are normally made with laminated glass, to prevent any glass or objects getting into the cab and potentially injure the driver. I've seen what happens to a train windscreen when something hits it, in the UK, and the glass will crack, but it'll stay intact and in place. They're designed to withstand most potential hazards - birds, small rocks/pebbles, that kind of thing.

Obviously, they're probably not going to stop large projectiles, or anything high speed, like a bullet or something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06
Back