PA - Amtrak train from Washington crashes in Philadelphia, May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"The Latest on Amtrak crash: Was train hit by an object?"

FBI called in
http://news.yahoo.com/latest-amtrak-crash-train-hit-214833636.html

Sorry if this has been posted, I looked but didn't see it.

I personally don't understand why they are releasing it to the press based on something overheard by a conductor. When they can verify it by the transmission or at least by talking with the SEPTA engineer.
Conductor could be mistaken on what she overheard.
Sounds like there was a radio transmission not long prior to the impact. If they can listen to that, wouldn't it answer a lot of questions?

"MORE THAN 50 ARE KILLED IN WRECK OF SPEEDING CONGRESSIONAL LIMITED IN THE OUTSKIRTS OF PHILADELPHIA."

The same stretch of tracks in Philadelphia's Port Richmond neighborhood was the scene of one of the worst rail disasters in U.S. history.

On September 6, 1943, Labor Day, Pennsylvania Railroad's Congressional Limited was travelling from Washington D.C. to New York City when, according to the National Railway Historical Society's Lancaster Chapter, a journal box on the front axle of one of the 16 cars overheated and began to spark. Almost immediately, the axle snapped in two and fell off, causing eight of the train's cars to derail.

The train was carrying 541 passengers at the time of the crash. In total, 79 people were killed and 117 others were injured.

It took hours to free the trapped and several days to clear the wreckage.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-crash-happened-at-same-site-of-1943-train-wreck/

eight of the train’s 16 cars to derail
Read more at http://www.redorbit.com/news/scienc...cks-in-us-history-051415/#7P451TviZiF95wdv.99

The worst in US history:

The Great Train Wreck of 1918 occurred on July 9, 1918, in Nashville, Tennessee. Two passenger trains, operated by the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway ("NC&StL"), collided head-on, costing at least 101 lives and injuring an additional 171. It is considered the worst rail accident in United States history,[SUP][1][/SUP] though estimates of the death toll of this accident overlap with that of the Malbone Street Wreck in Brooklyn the same year

6a00d8341c046f53ef01901e1dd35f970b-pi

Train%20Wrecks-12.jpg
nashville_tn_1918_great_train_wreck_9.jpg

Contrary to ealrier "notions" he was only on this route for a few weeks per Erin CNN! Distracted 60 seconds thought he was past it accleerated then" oh no" (brakes). If his cell phone is clear this sounds good IMO!

Here is a better, bigger, and in focus shot of the front of the engine:

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/i/newsc...o-051315_fa571da5d106d530bceb6900e1dce761.jpg

guys click on the image it goes in real close!

It is TOTALLY different than the other three on the right side -- completly different wow! And it does look like projectile visualize a rock thrown in a lake going outward - that is what the one on the left looks like whereas the one on the right are different.

Don't forget the train hit a bunch of trees, which could have easily caused the damage on the windshield. Not saying it was, but I am sure if they were gun shots, they would know that by now. They would have bullets inside the cockpit, and there has been no report of anything like that.

Don't forget the train hit a bunch of trees, which could have easily caused the damage on the windshield. Not saying it was, but I am sure if they were gun shots, they would know that by now. They would have bullets inside the cockpit, and there has been no report of anything like that.

I am going rocks.............

three minutes later and four miles away, near Frankford Junction, Amtrak's northbound Train 188 derailed on the Northeast Corridor tracks, killing at least six and injuring more than 200

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...mtrak-crash-philadelphia/stories/201505130188

I personally don't understand why they are releasing it to the press based on something overheard by a conductor. When they can verify it by the transmission or at least by talking with the SEPTA engineer.
Conductor could be mistaken on what she overheard.
Sounds like there was a radio transmission not long prior to the impact. If they can listen to that, wouldn't it answer a lot of questions?

Hi JJ!

I dont think those are recorded, but interviewing the other engineer could validate it! ANd I would think that if I had just been chatting with him about what happeneed, get home and find out he crashed his train a minute after I spoke to him I would think I would rememver talking to him...............

Every incident is different. But I do think if we took a step back, we have , a widely repseected engineer, totally crack up his train. And then we find out that something very disorirneting might have occurred seconds before acceleartion. He is getting reports of emergency up the line, something hits him, it makes sense that he might have "thought" he was further up the track than he was , with all the distractions occurring. RIght after the curve the speed does go to 100 mph.

It would be a distractrion to find out a train up ahead is stopped, somehting then happens to him and we all know another train had same thing in the same place within a 20 minute time frame - all at the same time.

IMO, the sudden application of the brakes is congurenet with this - we have all done it on expressway have to get over quick cause exit we want is suddenly right there when we "thought" it was two exits up. It strikes me that he relaized Oh s*it..................

It seems reasonable to conclude that some kids were thinking they were gonna have some fun.ANd there is video everywhere with this new angle maybe they can find the kids.......................................

OK wait...you find out a train ahead of you is hit and stopped ahead - and you SPEED UP? I have a hard time swallowing that.

I am going rocks.............

That locomotive traveled quite a distance through trees and a field. You can see tree pieces and mud all over the front and sides. IMO, it is more likely that all of that damage was done after the derailment. Just what I see...

Knowles says that the SEPTA crew was calm and professional and that they told passengers that a SEPTA engineer was covered in glass. Later, he says, the crew informed passengers of the Amtrak derailment.
Meanwhile, Washington resident Madison Calvert says that he was on an Amtrak Acela train from New York to Philadelphia when it was struck by an object, breaking his passenger window. Calvert says that the train left New York a few minutes late and that it was minutes from arriving at Philadelphia's 30th Street Station when his window shattered.
"It had to be between 9:05 and 9:10," he says. "It was a pretty big impact. When we arrived at 30th Street, Amtrak cops boarded and took photos of the window."

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/05/13/amtrak-crash-septa-projectile/#GTT1K57q02ZozTrW.99

.@fox5newsdc @FOX29philly @CNN-all very scary.Window shattered on #amtrak 2173 in opposite direction minutes before.

Looks like two rocks no?

OK wait...you find out a train ahead of you is hit and stopped ahead - and you SPEED UP? I have a hard time swallowing that.

I think they were opposite directions!

I am going more with he thought he was further along and right after the curve the speed limit is 100 - I think he thought he was furhter along, so the 60 seconds of distraction is what resulted in him losing where he was, and accelerating, then realizing , hitting the brakes.

He also was only on the route for a couple of weeks.... so that fits .....a mistake

I think they were opposite directions!

I am going more with he thought he was further along and right after the curve the speed limit is 100 - I think he thought he was furhter along, so the 60 seconds of distraction is what resulted in him losing where he was, and accelerating, then realizing , hitting the brakes.

He also was only on the route for a couple of weeks.... so that fits .....a mistake

OK...I was just going by what you said in your post.

I am not saying that this train wasn't hit by something. I am not saying he thought he was further down the track and made a tragic mistake. It wouldn't be my first instinct after my train was hit by something to suddenly speed up. Maybe that's just me. I have no idea what they are trained to do - if anything.

I do have a question though. Are their signs for the engineers along the route? Like we have on our roads? You don't speed up to the posted speed limit until you see the sign. I forget if it's past the sign...I should probably know that before my next driver's test, though! LOL!!

I want to know how these engineers are made aware of the speed limits, and the changes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257
Back