PA - Amtrak train from Washington crashes in Philadelphia, May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So what are we reduced to? Intentional given there were other Amtrak Employees on board or whatever other reason. Train malfunction. Human error and he thought he was further along the track set the speed and left the cab? Any others?

So what are we reduced to? Intentional given there were other Amtrak Employees on board or whatever other reason. Train malfunction. Human error and he thought he was further along the track set the speed and left the cab? Any others?

Why the bolded part? I assume he would be in the cab. Do engineers leave the cab? Couldn't he "zone out" and still be at the throttle?

A very strange reason would be to prove a point that more safety measures were needed. That seems to be something he posted online about. If he did it intentionally, I just can't fathom he wanted to hurt people. So, maybe he was proving a point. (Though I think it was an accident at this point.)

Why the bolded part? I assume he would be in the cab. Do engineers leave the cab? Couldn't he "zone out" and still be at the throttle?

A very strange reason would be to prove a point that more safety measures were needed. That seems to be something he posted online about. If he did it intentionally, I just can't fathom he wanted to hurt people. So, maybe he was proving a point. (Though I think it was an accident at this point.)

No i agree he never should have left the cab but ask did he? Yes could have zoned out
ETA just throwing out what sensible options are there

No i agree he never should have left the cab but ask did he? Yes could have zoned out
ETA just throwing out what sensible options are there

I hear ya.

Now that we know a bit about the engineer, I don't think he'd leave the cab. He loved being an engineer and took it seriously, which on one hand makes me believe this was an accident and on the other hand reminds me of Germanwings.

I hear ya.

Now that we know a bit about the engineer, I don't think he'd leave the cab. He loved being an engineer and took it seriously, which on one hand makes me believe this was an accident and on the other hand reminds me of Germanwings.

I hear you too

I feel so bad for these Family's who will want answers. I have faith that the NTSB will find them.

I've been following this thread on and off....

At this time - just cannot wrap my head around anything other than human error.... a grave human error.

For those that have not seen this youtube of the train which was BLOWN OFF an overpass rail just 3 weeks ago during a storm, why is this not more in the news. (Rhetorical question... there were no deaths iirc.. but if there were?)

[video=youtube;i76HFtO2lsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i76HFtO2lsU[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i76HFtO2lsU

I only knew this as it was 3 days before I arrived there on vacation.

Thanks Caris but that wasn't necessary.

All I really wanted to know though is if he was married or not and if he had children. I was just curious that's all and wondered if his wife had spoken out in his behalf. I really wasn't wanting any details about his sexual orientation.

With respect--I know you weren't trying to pry into the engineer's private life--I think it WAS necessary because we'll all be hearing about Bostian's sexuality and politics before long.

There is a long and unfortunate history of media portraying gays and lesbians as homicidal maniacs. Things aren't so bad now that we have a lot of varied portrayals of sexual minorities; but as a gay man myself, I very much appreciate the sensitive way CARIIS introduced the info to this thread.

Re the "accident" angle, I haven't seen any posts lately on the automatic alarm that goes off if a train exceeds the speed limit. Per reports up-thread, the alarm stays on until it is manually turned off or the train slows down.

Are those who think this was an accident just assuming the alarm malfunctioned?

With respect--I know you weren't trying to pry into the engineer's private life--I think it WAS necessary because we'll all be hearing about Bostian's sexuality and politics before long.

There is a long and unfortunate history of media portraying gays and lesbians as homicidal maniacs. Things aren't so bad now that we have a lot of varied portrayals of sexual minorities; but as a gay man myself, I very much appreciate the sensitive way CARIIS introduced the info to this thread.

His sexual orientation should not be an issue what so ever. No matter how this turns out with him his sexual orientation has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this. IMO

Re the "accident" angle, I haven't seen any posts lately on the automatic alarm that goes off if a train exceeds the speed limit. Per reports up-thread, the alarm stays on until it is manually turned off or the train slows down.

I'm an accident-theorist at this point, but if he turned it off, that's not an accident.

I'm guessing the black box will be able to determine what happened with the alarm.

Agree. I posted that early on. That's why I spun the "theory" he would have left the cab. Just sayin.....this accident is most disturbing.

I question the concussion issue. I am only going by my own experience. I suffered a major concussion this January....still have issues from it. I have NO memory of the 4 days following, and had memory issues for months. HOWEVER, I remember every single detail of the day and evening of, and the moment before it happened.

I question the concussion issue. I am only going by my own experience. I suffered a major concussion this January....still have issues from it. I have NO memory of the 4 days following, and had memory issues for months. HOWEVER, I remember every single detail of the day and evening of, and the moment before it happened.

So sorry to hear and wishing you a speedy recovery

IMO he should have memory soon. Could be weeks if bonafide. Yet IMO I think it could be Lawyer speak too. Not blaming him either for having a Lawyer.

I thank you Nova! Early there were posts about projectiles, I did not put it together much - too much going on. BUT, when put in a timeline it is very bizaire.

at 9:05 p.m., a SEPTA Regional Rail train running northbound on adjacent tracks toward Trenton, New Jersey had the engineer’s window shattered by an unknown projectile,

10 minutes later Amtrak Acela 2173 — heading to Washington, D.C. from New York — had a passenger window damaged around 9:15 p.m. as it traversed the southbound line toward Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station.

Amtrak 188 derailed around 9:20 p.m.

3 incidents , same area, one going north , one the adjacent track, and then the derail I dunno know? WOnder if he was hit and out for a peroid of time possibly??

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Before-Amtrak-Derailment-SEPTA-303820821.html

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Derailment-SEPTA-303820821.html#ixzz3aB5FBwYz
Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook

NTSB "B" rolls are always interesting

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHveDL-BX24

[/URL]

I hear ya.

BBM. Also, I wonder about his being reported as 'obsessed' with trains. . . . not a good sign, IMO.

BBM. Also, I wonder about his being reported as 'obsessed' with trains. . . . not a good sign, IMO.

I personally wouldn't look too much into that. The railways are definitely an "in your blood" industry.

I thank you Nova! Early there were posts about projectiles, I did not put it together much - too much going on. BUT, when put in a timeline it is very bizaire.

at 9:05 p.m., a SEPTA Regional Rail train running northbound on adjacent tracks toward Trenton, New Jersey had the engineer’s window shattered by an unknown projectile,

10 minutes later Amtrak Acela 2173 — heading to Washington, D.C. from New York — had a passenger window damaged around 9:15 p.m. as it traversed the southbound line toward Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station.

3 incidents , same area, one going north , one the adjacent track, and then the derail I dunno know? WOnder if he was hit and out for a peroid of time possibly??

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Before-Amtrak-Derailment-SEPTA-303820821.html

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Derailment-SEPTA-303820821.html#ixzz3aB5FBwYz

[/URL]

Very interesting, thank you. My daughter and I discussed this accident at length as she used to take this route regularly on her way to Sloan Kettering. We wondered if a third party of some sort could be responsible.

Once again, this wreck brings home the fact that we need to be more loving and caring to our friends and family - at any minute, in any place, they could be taken from us.

:cow:

[/URL]

Wow. I had not heard about projectiles hitting other trains. Hmmmmmm.

The only thing though is the brake was applied right before the accident so it seems he was still aware and awake right before it happened so I dont think he was knocked out by a projectile unless he just came to right before the turn.

Very strange. It would not surprise me if punks were throwing or shooting stuff at trains with something like BB gun, slingshots, etc. Sometimes kids do that sort of thing unfortunately if they live around the tracks.

Im still sticking with him just making a grave mistake however I keep wondering if maybe the mistake involved some negligence like having to run to the bathroom at a critical time or maybe not paying attention and looking at something other than the tracks in front.

It almost seems like something had his attention not focused on the task at hand.
One of the reports someone shared was this was a new engine with all the new bells and whistles. Maybe he was caught up in looking at something new about the train and just forgot about the main task at hand.

His "missing memory" just seems a little too coincidental to me. Im sorry but I just dont buy it. I am jaded by the government lying to us too many times and so I suspect everyone in incidents like this. And since he claims to not remember, I just dont buy it. I know he had head injury but so did many other passengers and they remember just fine.

I think his memory issue is because he is just trying to hide something stupid he did wrong like maybe just not paying attention and thinking he was on the straighaway and then not looking out the front until it was too late. Just something stupid like that. Nothing malicious I dont think but a grave error nonetheless.

Thats my take right now and I am sticking with that until more is known.
All JMO of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back