PA - Amtrak train from Washington crashes in Philadelphia, May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Am sure the black box will make available information as to whether speed was increased by human action or due to malfunction.

I think he thought he was past the curve:

Trains usually accelerated to more than 100 m.p.h. after the junction. His speeds on the route were very professionial - and (did not come up in the cut and paste ) were what others did in the previous three days of running of the route - he was a careful engineer aparently, per interview on CNN

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ting-the-philadelphia-amtrak-train-crash.html

I may be mistaken because it has been awhile since I rode this route, but from what I remember, I think it is not just 1 curve to the left. I seem to recall a series of gradual turns to the left. So he could have gone through one of the bends it straightens out a little, and he thought that was it, when there was 1 more big bend to the left coming up.

That is exactly what I think happened - we all saw how dark it was in that area, and we all have had an experience driving like that where we thought we were somewhere furhter along on our route. I think media is looking at lawyer as somehting other than a bright dude, who was told by someone might be a good idea to grab a lawyer.

His writing style is inteligent.....................

I'm leaning toward total accident, thinking he was past the curve, or failed suicide mission. But really leaning toward accident. I don't think he was on his phone or negligent.

Yeah. Im still thinking he thought he passed the curve and decided to accelerate to cruising speed. About 100 MPH is about what I would expect the cruising speed to be on the straight part heading to NYC.

I am pretty sure this is going to end up being some form of human error that is going to be put squarely on the operators shoulders. The big question I have is how bad was his "error". Like was their any negligence involved like talking on his phone not paying attention OR did he just make an honest mistake.

I am also curious how many times he made that exact run. Was this a route he had done before many times or did he just start this route. If we find out that he just started this route, then it leans more towards an honest mistake.

They reported that he was driving a brand new engine with all the latest technology. I would think surely it had a computer monitor showing the navigation map showing all of the tracks that were ahead of him. Many of the new truck semis also have this same technology and computer monitors now. So I am not sure I believe he just mistakenly thought he was on straight tracks. And he wasn't asleep with just leaving the station 11 minutes prior. IMO.

In fact I find it quite alarming that he sped up within seconds before getting to the curve. The train light is designed so the Engineer can see the tracks at all times....... not just right in front of him, but further up.

I don't believe he was texting or talking on his phone or he wouldn't have been so eager to hand it over. Nor do I think he was drinking alcohol or using drugs. So that makes it even more puzzling why this horrific disaster happened in the first place.

I am not ready to say this was a mistake because I really don't know either way but I do think he will be found to have caused the wreck. I heard an expert state today on one of the news channels that the throttle inside the train cab must be pushed forward manually for the train to pick up speed.

While I do not fault him for hiring an attorney I do find it odd that he says he cant remember anything when others with concussions were giving statements to the investigators the night it happened. And he may have had a slight concussion. I think if he had a severe concussion they would have admitted him to the hospital for 24 hours for observation at least.

I suffered a concussion in 2002 from a fall and my head struck the concrete sidewalk. I was knocked unconscious for a few seconds but I did not suffer from memory loss. I did have an extreme case of Vertigo that lasted on and off for four months.

So does he really have amnesia or is this selective amnesia since he does remember being tossed around in the cab, getting his bag, and his cell phone?

There is something about this train wreck that seems different than the others. I don't know what it is but it makes me very uncomfortable.

Was this guy married? Did he have children? TIA

IMO

I may be mistaken because it has been awhile since I rode this route, but from what I remember, I think it is not just 1 curve to the left. I seem to recall a series of gradual turns to the left. So he could have gone through one of the bends it straightens out a little, and he thought that was it, when there was 1 more big bend to the left coming up.

He knew the route. He rode it hundreds of times.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-303820821.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_PHBrand

Minutes before Amtrak Regional 188’s violent derailment in darkness Tuesday, two other trains were hit by projectiles along the same line.Amtrak Acela 2173 — heading to Washington, D.C. from New York — had a passenger window damaged around 9:15 p.m. as it traversed the southbound line toward Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station.
Madison Calvert was sitting next to the left-side window that was hit. He was working on his laptop computer when he heard a loud smack.
“I’m like ‘Oh my God, my window’s shattered,’” he recalled. The impact left a large divot and cracks throughout the window, as seen in photos the 29-year-old took.

Calvert texted his wife at 9:18 p.m., shortly after the window was hit, he said. The train arrived at 30th Street Station moments later and two Amtrak Police officers came onboard to inspect the window, he said. After a few minutes and a snap of photos, the train continued on to Washington.
A short time before the Acela was hit, at 9:05 p.m., a SEPTA Regional Rail train running northbound on adjacent tracks toward Trenton, New Jersey had the engineer’s window shattered by an unknown projectile, the transit authority confirmed. NBC10 previously reported this incident on Wednesday.
Amtrak 188 derailed around 9:20 p.m. as it entered a curve at the Frankford Junction traveling in excess of 100 mph. The crash killed eight people and injured over 200.

The Amtrak Cities Sprinter, or ACS-64, is an electric locomotive designed by Siemens Mobility for Amtrak. The locomotives are to operate on the Northeast Corridor (NEC) and the Keystone Corridor, replacing the railroad's existing fleet of AEM-7 and HHP-8 locomotives.[SUP][9][/SUP] The first ACS-64 entered service in February 2014; deliveries will last until 2015.

In October 2010, Amtrak ordered 70 locomotives at a cost of US$466 million, to be delivered beginning in February 2013.[SUP][10][/SUP] The order was the second part of Amtrak's company-wide fleet-replacement program, after an order for 130 Viewliner II passenger cars was placed in July 2010. On June 30, 2011, US Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood announced that Amtrak had received a US$562.9 million loan from the federal government's Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing program for the new locomotives.[SUP]

[11]
[/SUP] The additional funding over and above the $466 million will cover capital spare parts and facility improvements to accommodate the ACS-64s.

Amtrak and Siemens Mobility unveiled the first three completed locomotives on May 13, 2013. They were tested during the summer of 2013: #600 and #601 at the Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo, Colorado,

[SUP][/SUP](601 was the one derailed the other night)

Deliveries will proceed at a rate of three per month until the final locomotives are delivered in 2015.[SUP][15][/SUP]

Amtrak ACS-64 #601 being delivered to Transportation Technology Center, Inc. for testing on June 8, 2013.

[h=2]Design[/h] [SUP][/SUP] Significant structural changes to the design were made to comply with American crashworthiness requirements, including the addition of crumple zones and anti-climbing features as well as structural strengthening of the cab, resulting in a heavier locomotive than the previous models.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] The body is a monocoque structure with integral frames and sidewalls.[SUP][6]

[/SUP] The locomotives are designed to be capable of accelerating 18 Amfleet cars to maximum speeds as high as 125 mph (201 km/h) on the Northeast Corridor in a little over eight minutes,[SUP][17][/SUP] with trains of eight Amfleets taking two and a half minutes to reach the same speed.[SUP][18][/SUP] They have advanced safety systems, including specialized couplers designed to keep trains from rolling over, jackknifing, or derailing during a collision.[SUP][19][/SUP]

Additionally, the new locomotives are more energy-efficient than those that they replace, and lack dynamic braking grids in favor of 100% regenerative braking, depending on grid receptiveness. Energy generated from the brake may also be utilized to meet HEP needs, further reducing current draw from the grid.[SUP][19][/SUP]

INR_DSC_2529.jpg
6279.1375453560.jpg

8466.1379642681.jpg

Google images!

[SUP][/SUP]

Ummm, train engines have headlights. Very bright ones.

Yes, they do i.b.nora. You are absolutely correct the lights in front are very bright. They are needed so that the engineer can see the tracks not only right in front of him but way before he gets there. The engineer is looking at all times for any obstructions that may be on the tracks. Or they are suppose to be.:(

IMO

They reported that he was driving a brand new engine with all the latest technology. I would think surely it had a computer monitor showing the navigation map showing all of the tracks that were ahead of him. Many of the new truck semis also have this same technology and computer monitors now. So I am not sure I believe he just mistakenly thought he was on straight tracks. And he wasn't asleep with just leaving the station 11 minutes prior. IMO.

In fact I find it quite alarming that he sped up within seconds before getting to the curve. The train light is designed so the Engineer can see the tracks at all times....... not just right in front of him, but further up.

I don't believe he was texting or talking on his phone or he wouldn't have been so eager to hand it over. Nor do I think he was drinking alcohol or using drugs. So that makes it even more puzzling why this horrific disaster happened in the first place.

I am not ready to say this was a mistake because I really don't know either way but I do think he will be found to have caused the wreck. I heard an expert state today on one of the news channels that the throttle inside the train cab must be pushed forward manually for the train to pick up speed.

While I do not fault him for hiring an attorney I do find it odd that he says he cant remember anything when others with concussions were giving statements to the investigators the night it happened. And he may have had a slight concussion. I think if he had a severe concussion they would have admitted him to the hospital for 24 hours for observation at least.

I suffered a concussion in 2002 from a fall and my head struck the concrete sidewalk. I was knocked unconscious for a few seconds but I did not suffer from memory loss. I did have an extreme case of Vertigo that lasted on and off for four months.

So does he really have amnesia or is this selective amnesia since he does remember being tossed around in the cab, getting his bag, and his cell phone?

There is something about this train wreck that seems different than the others. I don't know what it is but it makes me very uncomfortable.

IMO

I agree. Cant put my finger on it but a gut feeling. And not a good one. Hope I'm wrong. Not that I ever am LOL (kidding)

The Amtrak Cities Sprinter, or ACS-64, is an electric locomotive designed by Siemens Mobility for Amtrak. The locomotives are to operate on the Northeast Corridor (NEC) and the Keystone Corridor, replacing the railroad's existing fleet of AEM-7 and HHP-8 locomotives.[SUP][9][/SUP] The first ACS-64 entered service in February 2014; deliveries will last until 2015.

In October 2010, Amtrak ordered 70 locomotives at a cost of US$466 million, to be delivered beginning in February 2013.[SUP][10][/SUP] The order was the second part of Amtrak's company-wide fleet-replacement program, after an order for 130 Viewliner II passenger cars was placed in July 2010. On June 30, 2011, US Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood announced that Amtrak had received a US$562.9 million loan from the federal government's Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing program for the new locomotives.[SUP]

[11]
[/SUP] The additional funding over and above the $466 million will cover capital spare parts and facility improvements to accommodate the ACS-64s.

Amtrak and Siemens Mobility unveiled the first three completed locomotives on May 13, 2013. They were tested during the summer of 2013: #600 and #601 at the Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo, Colorado,

[SUP][/SUP](601 was the one derailed the other night)

Deliveries will proceed at a rate of three per month until the final locomotives are delivered in 2015.[SUP][15][/SUP]

Amtrak ACS-64 #601 being delivered to Transportation Technology Center, Inc. for testing on June 8, 2013.

[h=2]Design[/h] [SUP][/SUP] Significant structural changes to the design were made to comply with American crashworthiness requirements, including the addition of crumple zones and anti-climbing features as well as structural strengthening of the cab, resulting in a heavier locomotive than the previous models.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] The body is a monocoque structure with integral frames and sidewalls.[SUP][6]

[/SUP] The locomotives are designed to be capable of accelerating 18 Amfleet cars to maximum speeds as high as 125 mph (201 km/h) on the Northeast Corridor in a little over eight minutes,[SUP][17][/SUP] with trains of eight Amfleets taking two and a half minutes to reach the same speed.[SUP][18][/SUP] They have advanced safety systems, including specialized couplers designed to keep trains from rolling over, jackknifing, or derailing during a collision.[SUP][19][/SUP]

Additionally, the new locomotives are more energy-efficient than those that they replace, and lack dynamic braking grids in favor of 100% regenerative braking, depending on grid receptiveness. Energy generated from the brake may also be utilized to meet HEP needs, further reducing current draw from the grid.[SUP][19][/SUP]

INR_DSC_2529.jpg
6279.1375453560.jpg

8466.1379642681.jpg

Google images!

[SUP][/SUP]

Thanks. The bright red throttle on the right of the cab are the ones pushed forward to increase speed or are pulled back to decrease speed. They haven't changed that methodology in decades. It is still a manual device which is controlled by the Engineer.

Thanks. The bright red throttle on the right of the cab are the ones pushed forward to increase speed or are pulled back to decrease speed. They haven't changed that methodology in decades. It is still a manual device which is controlled by the Engineer.

OB. I'm glad to see you on the threads. You are close to 20k post.

Congrats.

Jmo

IMO

OK guys! I am only using this citation becasue it is mainstream, I am not in any way thinking the article has any merit other than in responding to Was this guy married? Did he have children? He is gay, and was very active in Prop 8 stuff. Only responding to Was this guy married? Did he have children? Saw his Facebook page -but his orientation meant nothing to me - only repsondingt to question!

I must restate a moronic article: ( dont even read it - it will insult your inteligence!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/14/sandy-rios-anti-gay-amtrak_n_7286360.html

Bostian likes several LGBTI pages on Facebook and was interviewed at a gay marriage protest in 2012.
'Brandon Bostian, a recent transplant to New York, attended the event. Bostian was active in the Proposition 8 fight, which defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman, in San Francisco,' a Midtown Gazette story reads.
- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...st-brandon-bostian140515#sthash.9zQya4XS.dpuf

Bostian likes several LGBTI pages on Facebook and was interviewed at a gay marriage protest in 2012.
'Brandon Bostian, a recent transplant to New York, attended the event. Bostian was active in the Proposition 8 fight, which defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman, in San Francisco,' a Midtown Gazette story reads.
- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...st-brandon-bostian140515#sthash.9zQya4XS.dpuf

Yes, they do i.b.nora. You are absolutely correct the lights in front are very bright. They are needed so that the engineer can see the tracks not only right in front of him but way before he gets there. The engineer is looking at all times for any obstructions that may be on the tracks. Or they are suppose to be.:(

IMO

Yes, he SAW the curve when he came upon it. That's why he applied the break (too late).

I won't beat a dead horse but I really think he made a mistake in his mind on where he was on the track and thought he was heading into a straight stretch.

I've done it when driving and I've done it when sitting on public transportation - I get lost in my thoughts on a familiar route and I get mistaken on where I am on the route.

It's possible to sort of forget where you are without any other explanation. Unfortunately in this case, it was tragic.

I'm willing to change my mind as different evidence is revealed, of course. And, I'll quit repeating myself for awhile. :)

Thanks Caris but that wasn't necessary.

All I really wanted to know though is if he was married or not and if he had children. I was just curious that's all and wondered if his wife had spoken out in his behalf. I really wasn't wanting any details about his sexual orientation.

Yes, he SAW the curve when he came upon it. That's why he applied the break (too late).

I won't beat a dead horse but I really think he made a mistake in his mind on where he was on the track and thought he was heading into a straight stretch.

I've done it when driving and I've done it when sitting on public transportation - I get lost in my thoughts on a familiar route and I get mistaken on where I am on the route.

It's possible to sort of forget where you are without any other explanation. Unfortunately in this case, it was tragic.

I'm willing to change my mind as different evidence is revealed, of course. And, I'll quit repeating myself for awhile. :)

LOL! You don't have to quit repeating your opinion. That's what we do here at WS.:)

We will see. Has there ever been another Engineer who crashed a train for the same reason?

I just find it hard to swallow though since he had just left the station 11 minutes prior. Also by the photos that Caris put up of inside the cab it does look like it has a navigational monitor on the left side of the photo. And the lights in front of the engine are extremely bright and purposefully so... in order for the engineer to see way ahead.

Imo, he had to see the rails beginning to curve when he manually sped up the train to 106 mph within seconds of going into the hairpin curve.

IMO

OB. I'm glad to see you on the threads. You are close to 20k post.

Congrats.

Jmo

Hi there my friend. Nice to 'see' you too Dexter.:)

Thank you so much..........I hadn't even noticed. It has taken me since Jan 1, 2004 to get that many. I don't post nearly as often as I use to do. I seem to stay so busy now and always have some type of project going on at home.

IMO

LOL! You don't have to quit repeating your opinion. That's what we do here at WS.:)

We will see. Has there ever been another Engineer who crashed a train for the same reason?

I just find it hard to swallow though since he had just left the station 11 minutes prior. Also by the photos that Caris put up of inside the cab it does look like it has a navigational monitor on the left side of the photo. And the lights in front of the engine are extremely bright and purposefully so... in order for the engineer to see way ahead.

Imo, he had to see the rails beginning to curve when he manually sped up the train to 106 mph within seconds of going into the hairpin curve.

IMO

So, do you think he did it intentionally to derail and hurt people?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257
Back