PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If we ever find out anything more about the shooter's life, I think we''ll find out that he had troubles the parents knew about. Maybe they thought they were managing it and/or keeping it behind doors. I'm sure there was a hopeful vibe with his acceptance into college after his AA degree (and I remain baffled why he derailed himself when it does seem he was on a good track).

I do hope we learn more as the information is valuable for us collectively, but, as of now, I think we are missing a big chunk of info.

jmo
I just wonder how much the parents actually knew. It sounds like he was able to be secretive when he needed to be. If both of them are in the mental health field, perhaps over the years he learned how to manipulate them or say/do the right things to appear well. Maybe that was part of the fun for him.

Many kids are bullied and many kids fail at something or don't make a team because they aren't good enough. What made him take these things and turn it into something like this? I think a healthy and well kid who didn't make a team would either try something else or practice the skill they were lacking in until they were better and then try again.

<modsnip - sleuthing family members is not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been confirmed that the bike was his?
I’ve seen mentioned that he hid the weapon ahead of time?

Being said he climbed the air conditioner unit, didn’t use a ladder. Was the ladder still in vehicle?

Jmo
I'd like to know about the bike as well. Last I checked that was unconfirmed.

Exclusive photos showed the gunman’s bike parked beneath a tree just yards from the building where he fired up to eight shots, grazing Trump’s ear and killing a hero firefighter and wounding two other supporters.

A witness first noticed the bike at 5:30 p.m. — when Crooks was busy scoping out the perfect spot and more than 40 minutes before he fired gunshots.

A bicycle in a grassy area reportedly used by failed Trump assassin Thomas Matthew Crooks on July 13, 2024 in Butler, Penn.
Thomas Matthew Crooks rode a bike through the Trump rally, law enforcement sources said.

Why didn't all the agencies have some channel for communication? I'm just now reading that the majority of personnel protecting the former president were not U.S. Secret Service (USSS) agents. Instead, they were drawn from HSI. The agents were unfamiliar with standard protocols typically used at these types of events, according to the allegations. I'm sure that they are fine and fit for the duties, but they needed to be able to communicate with each other. Majority of Trump security detail were not Secret Service, whistleblowers tell Sen. Hawley
It seems some of the biggest problems were due to a lack of cohesion between the SS and the local LE they involved that day. Observationally, it seemed the initial attitude after the incident was, "we did our thing and they did theirs", which, in my opinion, is an unacceptable position for the SS to have initially taken, as they are the ones primarily responsible for a (former) President.

I'm hoping in the days to come there will be more accountability coming from them, especially when it comes to them utilizing local LE and briefing them on all details at important events like this if they're going to continue to use them throughout the country.

I'm looking forward to what might come out of Monday's security probe.

Exclusive photos showed the gunman’s bike parked beneath a tree just yards from the building where he fired up to eight shots, grazing Trump’s ear and killing a hero firefighter and wounding two other supporters.

A witness first noticed the bike at 5:30 p.m. — when Crooks was busy scoping out the perfect spot and more than 40 minutes before he fired gunshots.

A bicycle in a grassy area reportedly used by failed Trump assassin Thomas Matthew Crooks on July 13, 2024 in Butler, Penn.
Thomas Matthew Crooks rode a bike through the Trump rally, law enforcement sources said.
So, where in the timelime does that leave his vehicle, in which they found explosives? Did he ditch the car on site then return on bicycle, and if so, why?

2 hr 11 min ago

Missing ladder and backpack linked to Trump rally gunman found near shooter's home, sources say​

From CNN’s John Miller
Law enforcement block a street near the residence of Thomas Matthew Crooks in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, on Sunday, July 14.

Law enforcement block a street near the residence of Thomas Matthew Crooks in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, on Sunday, July 14.
New evidence from law enforcement sources reveals that a ladder purchased by the gunman who sought to assassinate former President Donald Trump, plus a backpack that allegedly belonged to the shooter, have been located and are in possession of federal authorities.
A man driving near the shooter’s home discovered the ladder and backpack on the side of the road, according to law enforcement sources from two separate agencies. The person reportedly saw the ladder in that location for several days before deciding to alert authorities.
Drone discovered: Additionally, investigators searching Crooks’ belongings found a drone in his car. According to a source familiar with the investigation, they believe Crooks may have used the drone on a reconnaissance trip to the farm grounds on the day of the Trump rally.
The working theory is that the drone would’ve given Crooks an overview of the rooftops of nearby buildings and how they connect. That could have helped him choose the spot where he fired the shots toward the podium where Trump was standing.
As the investigation continues, authorities are likely to scrutinize these newly found items for any clues that might help piece together the sequence of events and the suspect’s movements before last Saturday’s shooting.

I just wonder how much the parents actually knew. It sounds like he was able to be secretive when he needed to be. If both of them are in the mental health field, perhaps over the years he learned how to manipulate them or say/do the right things to appear well. Maybe that was part of the fun for him.

Many kids are bullied and many kids fail at something or don't make a team because they aren't good enough. What made him take these things and turn it into something like this? I think a healthy and well kid who didn't make a team would either try something else or practice the skill they were lacking in until they were better and then try again.

<modsnip - sleuthing family members is not allowed>
I do think he internalized a lot and doesn't seem to be a volatile person with outbursts, but I do think the parents might have known he had some troubles. After all, they were concerned about him on Saturday, so they knew "something," but to what extent, we don't know.

I think he kept a lot inside and let it fester. I honestly think not making the rifle team was a huge blow to him that wounded him deeply. I don't think he brushed that off, but let it grow.

And this is bit of over-thinking on my part, I know, but I wonder if he felt conflicted about his work. My hunch is that he enjoyed his food-service job at the nursing home, and perhaps that enjoyment bothered him as he thought as a math-whiz kid, he should be doing "more." Maybe he wanted to pursue something other than the engineering track but didn't know how to make the change without feeling like he wasn't succeeding. Instead of figuring that out, he destroyed everything.

While I think he was doing just fine with his job, AA degree, starting uni in the fall, maybe he felt that his peers were doing more impressive things and resentment was growing there too.

While he doesn't look like a "go-getter," I think his mind was very active and he was combining his interest in famous shooters and famous potential targets with his feelings of resentment - and the combination blew up. The way he was going to impress the world (and hurt his family and community) was to be a shooter that history remembered.

I FULLY realize I could be off base, but I continue to search for what made this kid decide to commit such a heinous act.

jmopinion at the moment, subject to change. Simply brainstorming ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a new article and I noted these tidbits. Vehicle was a Hyundai Sonata.

Mr. Crooks’s parents, Matthew and Mary, are both licensed professional counselors, and interviews and business records suggest they have been working from home at least since the pandemic.

Mr. Crooks’s father worked at Community Care Behavioral Health, part of the insurance services division of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, connecting patients with in-network counselors, a former colleague said.

F.B.I. investigators who searched the family’s home discovered it was cluttered and not well-cleaned, something akin to a compulsive hoarder’s house.
A neighbor said that years ago she occasionally saw Mary Crooks — who, according to federal authorities, was visually impaired — walking home from work from the local T train station, using a cane. But she had not seen her walking around in recent years.

On Saturday, he went to Home Depot at 9:30 a.m. to buy a ladder, purchased 50 rounds of ammunition later in the afternoon and drove to the rally. In the Hyundai Sonata he drove to the rally, investigators said, he left behind two rudimentary explosive devices, several magazines for the rifle he used, a bulletproof vest and the drone that may have been used earlier in the day.

I do think he internalized a lot and doesn't seem to be a volatile person with outbursts, but I do think the parents might have known he had some troubles. After all, they were concerned about him on Saturday, so they knew "something," but to what extent, we don't know.

I think he kept a lot inside and let it fester. I honestly think not making the rifle team was a huge blow to him that wounded him deeply. I don't think he brushed that off, but let it grow.

And this is bit of over-thinking on my part, I know, but I wonder if he felt conflicted about his work. My hunch is that he enjoyed his food-service job at the nursing home, and perhaps that enjoyment bothered him as he thought as a math-whiz kid, he should be doing "more." Maybe he wanted to pursue something other than the engineering track but didn't know how to make the change without feeling like he wasn't succeeding. Instead of figuring that out, he destroyed everything.

While I think he was doing just fine with his job, AA degree, starting uni in the fall, maybe he felt that his peers were doing more impressive things and resentment was growing there too.

While he doesn't look like a "go-getter," I think his mind was very active and he was combining his interest in famous shooters and famous potential targets with his feelings of resentment - and the combination blew up. The way he was going to impress the world (and hurt his family and community) was to be a shooter that history remembered.

I FULLY realize I could be off base, but I continue to search for what made this kid decide to commit such a heinous act.

jmopinion at the moment, subject to change
I just posted a new article that gives some details about his parents. It seems they have been working from home since the pandemic. Mom might have some medical issues. The article mentions vision and walking with a cane. It also mentions the home and compares it to a hoarder home. So while they might have had decent careers, we are now seeing that they too had some issues going on. I would be interested to know if the home was just cluttered or if it actually was more of a hoarder house. That is a mental illness and it can be hard on the other family members in the house. I think it also could be they had some medical issues that prevented keeping a really tidy house and that is understandable. The actual act of truly hoarding speaks to a larger issue that could have had an impact on their son.

I just posted a new article that gives some details about his parents. It seems they have been working from home since the pandemic. Mom might have some medical issues. The article mentions vision and walking with a cane. It also mentions the home and compares it to a hoarder home. So while they might have had decent careers, we are now seeing that they too had some issues going on. I would be interested to know if the home was just cluttered or if it actually was more of a hoarder house. That is a mental illness and it can be hard on the other family members in the house. I think it also could be they had some medical issues that prevented keeping a really tidy house and that is understandable. The actual act of truly hoarding speaks to a larger issue that could have had an impact on their son.
Yes, and now knowing the father (and perhaps mother) worked from home during the pandemic, perhaps gives a hint at some tension too. It could feel crowded with adults trying to work and live in the same place with young-adult kid(s) also at home. That was a stress many of us can likely understand.

It can be hard to think straight if you feel cramped, annoyed with others, lacking a change of scenery or routine to gain perspective.

A picture is starting to emerge, but still foggy.

jmopinion, with what we know at the moment.

This is a new article and I noted these tidbits. Vehicle was a Hyundai Sonata.

Mr. Crooks’s parents, Matthew and Mary, are both licensed professional counselors, and interviews and business records suggest they have been working from home at least since the pandemic.

Mr. Crooks’s father worked at Community Care Behavioral Health, part of the insurance services division of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, connecting patients with in-network counselors, a former colleague said.

F.B.I. investigators who searched the family’s home discovered it was cluttered and not well-cleaned, something akin to a compulsive hoarder’s house.
A neighbor said that years ago she occasionally saw Mary Crooks — who, according to federal authorities, was visually impaired — walking home from work from the local T train station, using a cane. But she had not seen her walking around in recent years.

On Saturday, he went to Home Depot at 9:30 a.m. to buy a ladder, purchased 50 rounds of ammunition later in the afternoon and drove to the rally. In the Hyundai Sonata he drove to the rally, investigators said, he left behind two rudimentary explosive devices, several magazines for the rifle he used, a bulletproof vest and the drone that may have been used earlier in the day.
So, at some point after that he must have left, and then returned on the bike, as witnessed by attendees and some LE.

2 hr 11 min ago

Missing ladder and backpack linked to Trump rally gunman found near shooter's home, sources say​

From CNN’s John Miller

New evidence from law enforcement sources reveals that a ladder purchased by the gunman who sought to assassinate former President Donald Trump, plus a backpack that allegedly belonged to the shooter, have been located and are in possession of federal authorities.
A man driving near the shooter’s home discovered the ladder and backpack on the side of the road, according to law enforcement sources from two separate agencies. The person reportedly saw the ladder in that location for several days before deciding to alert authorities.
Drone discovered: Additionally, investigators searching Crooks’ belongings found a drone in his car. According to a source familiar with the investigation, they believe Crooks may have used the drone on a reconnaissance trip to the farm grounds on the day of the Trump rally.
The working theory is that the drone would’ve given Crooks an overview of the rooftops of nearby buildings and how they connect. That could have helped him choose the spot where he fired the shots toward the podium where Trump was standing.
As the investigation continues, authorities are likely to scrutinize these newly found items for any clues that might help piece together the sequence of events and the suspect’s movements before last Saturday’s shooting.

This is so bizarre! He bought the ladder that morning and then just dumped it near his house? Why buy the ladder at all? Did he buy it and go to the rally site and use it for something, then leave and drive all the way back to an area near his house to dump it, then drive all the way back?

An article I read this morning (not sure if I posted it or not, I'll look) said he bought the ladder at 9:30 the morning of the shooting. Google shows a Home Depot in Bethel Park close to where he lived. So did he buy that and drive an hour to the rally location, use the ladder for something?? Then drive back toward his house to dump it?

If he used that ladder to stash something at the rally location, then wouldn't he need to use the ladder to retrieve it? I guess it's just another odd piece that we can't quite piece in until we know all the facts. Why would he take the ladder to the rally and risk looking suspicious? If the ladder was unrelated, it is odd that he chose that day to go buy it and then toss it near his house.

If he used that ladder to stash something at the rally location, then wouldn't he need to use the ladder to retrieve it? I guess it's just another odd piece that we can't quite piece in until we know all the facts. Why would he take the ladder to the rally and risk looking suspicious? If the ladder was unrelated, it is odd that he chose that day to go buy it and then toss it near his house.
Could it be as mundane as the family needed a ladder and he went to the store to purchase it? Maybe it was actually un-related to the shooting. idk?!?

What I actually think, though, is the ladder was too cumbersome to deal with so he ditched it.

Maybe the bike was used as a step stool to retrieve a hidden gun? Again, idk.

jmo

We know he made an earlier trip to the site that day, but I don’t think we know the time. Perhaps be bought that ladder prior to the first trip, and realized when he arrived at the site that he wouldn’t need it. Then he goes back home and leaves the ladder there.

We know he made an earlier trip to the site that day, but I don’t think we know the time. Perhaps be bought that ladder prior to the first trip, and realized when he arrived at the site that he wouldn’t need it. Then he goes back home and leaves the ladder there.
Guess he didn't see the need to return it to the store for a refund. (Joking but not joking.)

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back