PA PA - Betsy Aardsma, 22, murdered in Pattee Library, Penn State, 29 Nov 1969

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I work on this the more I realize that no one in a position to solve this case or bring attention to it really gives a damn.

I'm seriously thinking about packing it in. This is taking up way too much of my life, my time, and my limited disposable income.

The police don't care; this has become increasingly obvious over the past few months. And, while I wish them luck, I don't believe they are going to break any new ground in this investigation without being open to tips and information from private citizens or other agencies.

I'm down in a hole right now and I think the best thing to do is dust myself off and walk away.

Littlehorn if thats what you decide to do im certain no one here would blame you or think the less of you certainly not me.
Youve already done more to raise the awareness of this case in the last few months then has been done by anybody else in the last three decades.
And dont give up hope that the seeds youve planted may bear fruit down the line I think that is a distinct possibilty.
As for LE...I think sometimes from their perspective every time a cold case is brought back to light in the public eye I think they sometimes feel that the failure of their Dept. to solve the case is being highlighted right along with.
I know from my own experience with Corrections the politics and inner workings of some LE agencies can be pretty Byzantine and there can be alot of factors at work not redily visible to the outside eye.
Not that anyone is trying to obstruct the case for fear of secrets coming out but it could be long standing personalty clashes or grudges between investigators and or administration or any number of things.
It wouldnt be the first time.
As for you you owe it to yourself to look after your well being first.
I enjoy this web sleuthing but there have been a few cases that have gotten farther under my skin then they should have.
The sad truth is Betsy's gone and it wont do you or her any good to damage your finacial or spiritual well being as well.
Besides even if you do take a breather which you should,I know from my experience youll never be able to completely let go.
Anything that turns up youll be on it.
And with the renewed awareness youve created something still could turn up any day.
If you get bored Ill turn you on to my pet unsolved mystery here in Idaho The Lewiston Civic Theater Murders.Ive got five unsolved murders in mine.
Trust me it will drive you nuts.:)
Take care brother.

The more I work on this the more I realize that no one in a position to solve this case or bring attention to it really gives a damn.

I'm seriously thinking about packing it in. This is taking up way too much of my life, my time, and my limited disposable income.

The police don't care; this has become increasingly obvious over the past few months. And, while I wish them luck, I don't believe they are going to break any new ground in this investigation without being open to tips and information from private citizens or other agencies.

I'm down in a hole right now and I think the best thing to do is dust myself off and walk away.

I can certainly understand your frustration. I agree with everything kline said. No one would blame you. We all know how these cases can get under our skin. I have a couple cases I could throw your way too...I'm sure that's just what you need...lol! But maybe you should consider taking a break for a while, then try to pick up again and see what more can be accomplished. I know you won't be able to forget the case completely. And kline is right in that you have brought awareness to this case. I had never heard of it and I'm hooked now too. But at least you seem to have Trooper Bernier on your side. Maybe you could take a break but leave the wires of communication open with him. Whatever you decide, we will support you, and I know at least I will retain a glimmer of hope that you won't abandon the case completely!

littlehorn,

I agree with everything that kline and MaryBeth has said. You have to take care of yourself before anything. Don't feel bad or guilty about needing to step away for awhile.

Look at how much you have done already. Betsy's name and story is actually getting attention. It lay dormant for so long. She was unknown and forgotten ... along comes a man (you:)) who puts his heart and soul into her case. He puts up a website dedicated to her. He joins as many website forums that he can find to put her case on. He spends many countless hours organizing facts/sifting through rumors/working through theories/talking to LE/searching for anyone or anything that can help find Betsy some justice.
littlehorn, you have done more for Betsy Aardsma than anyone. Be proud of yourself. You have accomplished a great feat!! Betsy now has people that know her story. She is no longer just a 'ghost story' told at PSU.

Thank you for all that you have done. Remember, some of us will still be here (maybe even more!) when you come back.

Yes...40 years is way too long for any case to remain unsolved.
Brings to mind a freshman co-ed at University of Wisconsin in Madison
who was murdered in 1968. Her case also went "cold" after a
few years and read recently about someone trying to
keep this case open. Anyone remember this case?

Yes...40 years is way too long for any case to remain unsolved.
Brings to mind a freshman co-ed at University of Wisconsin in Madison
who was murdered in 1968. Her case also went "cold" after a
few years and read recently about someone trying to
keep this case open. Anyone remember this case?

I did read about this case a few weeks ago. She was murdered right in front of one of the buildings and her body thrown behind some bushes, IIRC. I contacted the people who were trying to keep her story alive and did not hear back from them. I forget her name but I do remember that story and dropping them a line to see if we could share ideas or techniques.

Look at how much you have done already. Betsy's name and story is actually getting attention. It lay dormant for so long. She was unknown and forgotten ... along comes a man (you:)) who puts his heart and soul into her case. He puts up a website dedicated to her. He joins as many website forums that he can find to put her case on. He spends many countless hours organizing facts/sifting through rumors/working through theories/talking to LE/searching for anyone or anything that can help find Betsy some justice.
littlehorn, you have done more for Betsy Aardsma than anyone. Be proud of yourself. You have accomplished a great feat!! Betsy now has people that know her story. She is no longer just a 'ghost story' told at PSU.

Thank you for all that you have done. Remember, some of us will still be here (maybe even more!) when you come back.

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm not quite ready to hand in the towel yet. I had a really rough day yesterday -- culminating in driving to a friend's wedding in Annapolis, at the Chesapeake Bay, which should have been great -- except I got food poisoning or something, because 10 minutes after I finished the buffet, I was out throwing up in the man-made wetlands behind the building. I ended up leaving early and when I posted last night, I was not really feeling my greatest.

I had opted against using the restroom because it is a "Green" building and they had composting toilets that don't use water -- basically a glorified OUTHOUSE that you throw sawdust into when you are done to help turn it into mulch underneath the building. I didn't think staring down one of them would help my upset stomach.

I wasn't right today either so I stayed home from work. Spent the whole day in bed, couldn't even look at food.

Anyway, for the immediate future I'm going to keep working on this...Thanks again for all your help and support, and sorry for the false alarm!

And your also involved in perpetuating our dwindling Wetlands!!
You are truly a personal inspiration to me.:)(lol)
And by the way if you do decide to take it easy I hope that means youll still be coming here.Id like to get your insight on a bunch of these other cases too.Because you do have a gift for insight in my opinion.

Hope you feel better soon Littlehorn. You've been doing a terrific job. :clap:

And by the way if you do decide to take it easy I hope that means youll still be coming here.Id like to get your insight on a bunch of these other cases too.Because you do have a gift for insight in my opinion.

LOL, yes, I'm a man of many talents, LOL.

I will still be working on this and definitely still checking in with you guys even if I back off a bit. I appreciate your compliments and if you ever want to run something by me personally, just drop me an email. I'd be happy to take a look at something or hear a theory.

Yes, using the Wetlands is inexcusable..LOL! Just kidding...but the description of the toilets in the "green" building almost made me want to throw up. Ewwww!

Glad you're feeling better and glad you are not abandoning this yet!

The worst one ive ever encountered was on a Greyhound Bus.
Ewww indeed. The smell of the disinfectant alone is enough to knock a buzzard off a Gut Wagon.
53 hours between Montana and Detroit.
If I had to do it again id rather hitch a ride with the I-5 Killer.

Yes, using the Wetlands is inexcusable..LOL! Just kidding...but the description of the toilets in the "green" building almost made me want to throw up. Ewwww!

Glad you're feeling better and glad you are not abandoning this yet!

Hey, don't knock it -- they are Platinum Certified as the "Greenest" building in the world! :crazy:

Still didn't make me want to use the toilets, LOL.

Ewww indeed. The smell of the disinfectant alone is enough to knock a buzzard off a Gut Wagon.

That last statement is just classic, LOL.

Hope you feel better soon Littlehorn. You've been doing a terrific job. :clap:

Thanks for the kind words. You know as well as I do, this is a thankless "hobby," and one can never have enough encouragement from others.

Why did I give up model trains again? :waitasec:

Oh yeah, 6 cats would totally trash anything I could set up in the basement. And the barn is not climate-controlled.

LOL! Good one...actually made me laugh out loud!

Just catching up - Littlehorn glad you are feeling better. Do what is best for you. All of your efforts are appreciated but ultimately - you and family are the more important.

When talking about the police and attitude and some saying they knew who it was but there was no proof. It reminded me of something that happened in our family. My uncle was Chicago PD. I remember that years ago he told me they knew who had killed Sen. Percy's daughter. They knew he was in jail etc. Then I think probably 20 years later the PD finally released that information to the public. I believe the suspect had died. So I guess they weren't worried about any lawsuits. I wonder if that would ever happen in this case?

Just catching up - Littlehorn glad you are feeling better. Do what is best for you. All of your efforts are appreciated but ultimately - you and family are the more important.

When talking about the police and attitude and some saying they knew who it was but there was no proof. It reminded me of something that happened in our family. My uncle was Chicago PD. I remember that years ago he told me they knew who had killed Sen. Percy's daughter. They knew he was in jail etc. Then I think probably 20 years later the PD finally released that information to the public. I believe the suspect had died. So I guess they weren't worried about any lawsuits. I wonder if that would ever happen in this case?

I suppose it could happen in this case, but in a way I don't know that the entire Department felt they knew who the guy was -- it may have been individual officers, or even just a detective's false bravado. Most of the investigators seemed stumped as to motive, etc., and it has remained that way.

I do know that the case will be archived in 2036 as officially unsolvable/unprosecutable so perhaps there's a chance to see the case file at that time, although I am not sure what rules govern that once it is no longer considered an open case.

After careful consideration I have decided to make the autopsy reconstruction information on my site available to the public.

It is linked from the main page now.

I can't see how it would hurt anything seeing as how the autopsy report is publicly filed and available.

I hope that it will help provide a visual aid to understand what happened that day in the stacks.

After careful consideration I have decided to make the autopsy reconstruction information on my site available to the public.

It is linked from the main page now.

I can't see how it would hurt anything seeing as how the autopsy report is publicly filed and available.

I hope that it will help provide a visual aid to understand what happened that day in the stacks.
I dont see how it could possibly hurt.
The more info available the better I think.
Littlehorn guess what my 9 year old daughter announced today what she cant possibly live without?
A pet turtle.Lets hear it for synchronicity:)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89