PA PA - Brian Wells, 46, Erie, 28 Aug 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
mysteriew said:
"AMERICA'S MOST WANTED: AMERICA FIGHTS BACK" SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 5, ON FOX

After AMERICA'S MOST WANTED aired an in-depth story about the murdered pizza delivery man in Erie, PA, who had a bomb strapped to his neck and then robbed a bank, new information was brought forth – only to AMERICA'S MOST WANTED. Now AMW reveals this exclusive new information, which could help authorities solve the case and unmask the mastermind of a horrendous crime.

On Aug. 28, 2003, Brian Wells, a 46-year-old pizza deliveryman, perished as a bomb that was strapped around his neck exploded. Authorities have been puzzled by the bizarre details of that day's events, unsure if Wells was involved in the bank robbery or a pawn in someone else's game. The FBI says that soon after he walked out of the pizza shop on an apparent delivery, he robbed a bank with a bomb strapped around his neck. When cops caught up with him, he said he had been abducted and forced to play a sadistic game – a scavenger hunt for his life. He also begged them to free him from the bomb. But before that could happen, the bomb went off, killing him. Tune in for exclusive new information that could solve this case on AMERICA'S MOST WANTED: AMERICA FIGHTS BACK Saturday, Nov. 5 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20051031fox01
Thanx mysteriew!!! I'm a gonna watch it!!!!!

pappanick said:
The reason why Brian Wells has not been completely cleared in this case is because none of it makes any sense. Wells actions do not even make any sense. If Wells was involved he was only involved through a sick prank he was talked into. There are many puzzeling questions surrounding this case you should ask yourself.Before you make any judgement either way.

*Why would Wells care about how much money was in the sack he took from the bank? He told the teller it felt light of the money he requested. Then when she told him the rest was in the vault he said "I'll be back against 15 minutes" Why would he care how much money was in the sack or want to come back for more? He is supposedly a hostage. Makes no sense.

*Wells made no distress signals at the bank to the tellers at all. Yet when the cops pulled him over he was at full disclosure right away concerning his situation and wanted help. ONCE he was CAUGHT. Not before at the bank.

*Wells walked into the bank with a loaded gun that could fire a single shot. In the note it said "Use the weapon you were GIVEN." I don't know anyone who has ever heard of a crime where someone was given the weapon to be used in a crime. And what if he was given a gun and forced by a single person or group to committ a crime. What was stopping Wells from taking that gun and just flat out blowing their head off? Think about it.

*Was this just a random crime against a deliveryman? Or was Wells to be involved all along? I find too many coincidences in this case to think that ANYBODY other than Wells was targeted.

*The game they played with Wells that was so resembling "The Great Key Hunt" played in the Erie paper which had just wrapped up and Wells so loved were similar with the "clue-finding" and all.

*Wells shift was just ending at the pizza shop. Was he duped into a scheme that day to try to get some money to move out of Erie which he had so planned on doing. The only thing that was holding him back was Money which he didn't have and planned on winning the Great Key Hunt to move. After he did not win the contest did he get desperate?

*Many feel Wells was shot at and that is where the damage to his knee came from. And that very well could be BUT think about it; someone or someone's took all this time and intricate planning to play this 'game' and then risked shooting him in a secluded area ruining all their planning and game? What if they shot him and they could not continue doing the game? Would they have just shot him to death? Then their whole plan is ruined. There is no bomb and their is no game which they so wanted. Nobody is 100% sure those pellets did not come from the bomb itself.

*There is so much more. i'll leave it their for now. Take care.
I think if I had a bomb strapped around my neck, damn straight I'd make sure the bank gave me the desired amount of money and weren't the notes found consecutively and one of them led him to the weapon he was to use,thus explaining why he couldn't shoot his enslavers. Also I thought I read that he was shot at another location. i think whoever did this was playing with him, it's not like he could get mad about being shot and quit. Maybe they were following him and watching him.

upallnite said:
I agree Papp, I think that's excactly what this was, a sick prank. it sort of reminds me something the zodiac killer dreamed of doing. I think the killer is still out there and I think he will either do it again or confess someday.
Odd...This is my first time reading this thread, and when I read the note I was struck by the similarity to the letters sent by the Zodiac. The construction of the note, the seemingly careful lettering, as though copying over a template (as I believe someone else noted here) and the commanding tone...To me, it closely parallels the construction of the school bus bombing letters. Maybe someone took some tips from Robert Graysmith's books...

upallnite said:
I think if I had a bomb strapped around my neck, damn straight I'd make sure the bank gave me the desired amount of money and weren't the notes found consecutively and one of them led him to the weapon he was to use,thus explaining why he couldn't shoot his enslavers. Also I thought I read that he was shot at another location. i think whoever did this was playing with him, it's not like he could get mad about being shot and quit. Maybe they were following him and watching him.
Actually Up allnite the first note in Wells letter that he was given tells him to "use the weapon you were given." Nowhere in the note does it lead him to the weapon. If someone gave me a gun to commit a crime the first thing I would make sure to do with it is blow their damn head off their shoulders. We would at least be even if a bomb exploded on my chest. He was shot at the location where he delivered the pizzas. 8316 Peach St., which leads back to into a radio tower and some woods. It is rarely accessed unless you are going back there to mess with the towers. Here is my point Upallnite, he is believed to be shot at 8316 Peach St. back in the woods in the knee area. If they shot him and blew his knee out the game would have been OVER! There would have been no game. They would have had to shoot him in this secluded area BUT there would have been no game. The game would have been over. Would they risk shooting him and ruining their devious plan? You see what i am saying. This was at least a YEAR in the making.

Two other things I do not think get enough play in this case. Which I think are important. 1) Wells was mentally challanged to some extent making him the perfect victim. That fact along with the way the plot was carried out and I would bet that at least one if not more people who did this to Wells knew him and well enough that they thought this would work. I believe if the truth ever comes out at least one co-worker will be found to be involved from Moma-Mia's pizza. We will see.

Release the whole note!!

The update tomorrow on AMW will focus on Floyd Stockton Jr.. A man who lived with William Rothstein during the period where this occurred in Erie, PA. Stockton and Rothstein lived together near the radio towers where the pizza's were to be delivered and where Brian Wells went on his delivery. Stockton is a convicted rapist who spent time in jail in Washington state before being released and making his way to Erie, PA. The FBI is focusing on Stockton because he does fit their profile in what they are looking for at this time. Stockton is currently not in jail anymore and I do not know where his whereabouts are at this time but he no longer lives in Erie.

Release the whole note!!

Did anyone watch america's most Wanted tonight? I got lost somewhere. Janet Ponsford (Floyd A. Stockton Jr.'s ex wife) was talking about the similarity between letters she had recieved from someone (i think Floyd ) and the 9 page note handed to Brian Wells. She was saying how there were equal marks everywhere in the notes (=) where they shouldn't be. Also that this person was always crafting items with double J's for her, representing her name Janet and I thought that persons name. I know I'm lost, I hope someone else was watching. They said there are two sets of double J's incorporated into the handmade cane gun. Also interesting that the FBI said that Floyd liked to make pipe bombs and that was basically what the bomb on the bomb collar was. They also said the collar (not so much the bomb) and the cane gun were very similar to Floyd's craftsmanship.

I watched AMW specifically because of this case.

The geist of it is. Jay and Janet Stockton. Double J......that was on the "cane gun". Jay made a clock with the same symbol as in Jay and Janet and gave it to Janet some years ago. It is very distinctive........

Jay Stockton was a wanted criminal and was harboured by that shop teacher(Floyd) Also, Jay (because he has been in Prison for various offences) wrote Janet many, many letters. So he has specific writing and style(hence the = signs), that is specific to a particular person and style.

Also the area that the victim was lured to, was known and used by Jay Stockton with his friend Floyd to make and use pipe bombs. Jay also used to take Janet to this area when they were dating/married.

Also Jay is a manipulative, control freak with a sick sense of humour......abusive and violent.

He was released from Prison in September and not been arrested or charged with any crime related to this case.

I feel that Floyd and Jay were in this together......what sicko's.....Brian never had a chance.......

I should have said Jay Stockton and not Floyd Stockton. I think they are onto something with this guy. I knew the little equal signs would come back to haunt the note writer. I have been saying that all along.

hi everyone. I am a new member and am from scotland. What happened to this man is terrifying. I am not too clued up on all the people involved but why has nobody been charged with this murder yet?

Huckster16:

Welcome to Websleuths.....greetings from Canada. I hope that you are doing well in Scotland.

There is not enough evidence in this case to charge anyone. For sometime, LE(Law Enforcement)thought that Brian Wells had "masterminded" this whole scene to rob a bank. After some investigation, it became apparent that Brian Well's was a victim, not asuspect and that he robbed the bank under "extreme" duress and in fear for his life.

But it still is an ongoing case, it is still being investigated. Robert Pinetti, who was Brian Wells co-worker at the Pizza Restaurant died of a drug overdose three days after Brian Wells death. Very, suspicious, some speculate that he was involved.........but maybe he did not know that this would end in the death of Brian Wells and that Robert died of a drug overdose over his part in this crime. No one knows if his death was a result of the crime or had nothing to do with it.

Bill Rothstein - long since died from cancer. But he fit the profile of the FBI profilers Collarbomber. But he left a note saying he did not have anything to do with the crime. But he fit the profile. I am sure that he was involved somehow.......

Jay Stockton -no evidence again. But plently of co-incidences, like the writing and the double J in the cane gun. Close friend of Bill Rothstein.

So until any new and compelling evidence shows up or any one comes forward.........the case is still under investigation.

According to AMW the goal of this "collarbomber" was not the bank robbery......but control. There was no way that Brian Wells could have completed the "list" of the scavenger hunt in the alloted time.

If he did not complete the list, he would have died. The goal was a sick game of a "puppet" master and Brian Wells was the puppet. The puppetmaster held the life of the puppet in his hand and knew that in the end the puppet, as in the human being, Brian Wells would have died either way.

Just sick people, totally sick people.........

thankyou for explaining that to me cyberlaw. I couldnt imagine how that poor man must have felt. There are some really sick people in this world. I will never understand why people are so cruel. Hopefully one day somebody will pay for this.

CyberLaw said:
I watched AMW specifically because of this case.

The geist of it is. Jay and Janet Stockton. Double J......that was on the "cane gun". Jay made a clock with the same symbol as in Jay and Janet and gave it to Janet some years ago. It is very distinctive........

Jay Stockton was a wanted criminal and was harboured by that shop teacher(Floyd) Also, Jay (because he has been in Prison for various offences) wrote Janet many, many letters. So he has specific writing and style(hence the = signs), that is specific to a particular person and style.

Also the area that the victim was lured to, was known and used by Jay Stockton with his friend Floyd to make and use pipe bombs. Jay also used to take Janet to this area when they were dating/married.

Also Jay is a manipulative, control freak with a sick sense of humour......abusive and violent.

He was released from Prison in September and not been arrested or charged with any crime related to this case.

I feel that Floyd and Jay were in this together......what sicko's.....Brian never had a chance.......
The shop teacher was not named Floyd Cyberlaw. His name is William Rothstein and that is who Jay Stockton lived with near Tower road for some time and during the time this occurred. Obviously you are confused.

Rothstein has since died. He was a very smart shop teacher who spoke three languages.

I am not confused, except if I read another post without checking my facts first. I should have learned by now.....

Floyd "Jay" Stockton.......convicted felon, alive - good friend of Bill and harboured by Bill to evade criminal charges of Rape

William "Bill" Rothstein - shop teacher, dead, known to Police, weird, manipulative, smart, but devious, suspect in other murders........

CyberLaw said:
I am not confused, except if I read another post without checking my facts first. I should have learned by now.....

Floyd "Jay" Stockton.......convicted felon, alive - good friend of Bill and harboured by Bill to evade criminal charges of Rape

William "Bill" Rothstein - shop teacher, dead, known to Police, weird, manipulative, smart, but devious, suspect in other murders........
Cyberlaw, so is "Jay" Floyd's nickname?

pappanick said:
I should have said Jay Stockton and not Floyd Stockton. I think they are onto something with this guy. I knew the little equal signs would come back to haunt the note writer. I have been saying that all along.
I agree, I think this guy was directly involved in this and maybe it was even his idea, and what a demented idea it was.

I can't answer if a person is using a nickname, unless of course they say: "that is my nickname".

But he used the name of Jay, as he was obsessed with the letter J for some odd reason.

So, Floyd Stockton and Jay Stockton are the same person. How confusing is that?:bang: There was a ironic story in our Erie paper about a year ago that talked about the time Stockton spent at Rothsteins house. It talked about one time when the cops came looking for Rothstein and Stockton thought they had come for him. Could you imagine that? "Oh no, the cops are here for me!" "Oh you didn't come for me but for Bill."-- "O.K. how can I help you officer."
I will say I am surprised Stockton's wife did not come forward sooner and was interviewed intensely about his case earlier. It is TWO years later! And why did it take the AMW detective to conduct these interviews and unearth this information? Shouldn't the FBI be doing more of this? The biggest problem with these people coming forward is that they all have an axe to grind. Stockton's wife and Marjorie Diehl. Diehl isn't the person you would want on the stand in court. That is for sure. She is still bitter about Rothstein putting her away for an old murder she committed. Stockton's wife could be bitter about the way things ended between her and Jay. I am still very disturbed about the legnth of time it took for her to come forward.

hukster16 said:
hi everyone. I am a new member and am from scotland. What happened to this man is terrifying. I am not too clued up on all the people involved but why has nobody been charged with this murder yet?
Nobody has been charged with this murder yet. The process has been slow and confusing. Erieite's have felt all along (wrong or not) that the FBI and law enforcement didn't reach out for the public's help from the beginning. The slow release of any new information has been frustrating to all.

Even the people that have come forward in this case may have an axe to grind and may not have the purest of intentions. Some still think Diehl was in on the plot herself. If she wasn't then it is interesting who would have been the third person at the tower who Wells talked about. Could that have been someone Well's knew who set him up to these two?

There just is not enough evidence yet to tie all this confusion together.

I forgot how to get to these cold case threads! :doh:

Found this from America's Most Wanted site:
The FBI and ATF have reconstructed the bomb, deconstructed the cane gun and analyzed the notes. In August of 2004 the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit released a profile of the person they consider the mastermind behind the whole event. They refer to this person as the Collar Bomber.

They say the goal of the Collar Bomber was more than a bank robbery. This person choreographed the whole event. The FBI also believes the Collar Bomber did not act alone. They say "there were multiple motives for the offender, and money was not the primary one."

They describe the Collar Bomber as a pack rat who is frugal, saving everything including scraps of materials to reuse in building projects. This is evident in the type of material found in the bomb and cane gun. They say the Collar Bomber works with wood, metal, wiring and plastic and is comfortable around power tools.

The Collar Bomber had access to an area, such as a home workshop, where long periods of time could be spent working alone and undetected. The also believe the cane gun may have been built many years ago and may not have been the only weapon built by the Collar Bomber. He may have also built a variety of objects, such as knives or swords. They describe him as mechanically inclined and as someone who takes pride in fixing and building things.

It's good they have a description, I hope they make some arrests soon. I will never forget this case and watching it live on tv. Prayers for his family to find peace and hopefully some answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71
Back