PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a 1970 window mural that reminds me of the artists sketch.
s-l300.jpg

I do remember the girls name and I googled her mom's name.. and got her maiden name (I think the grandfather was the girl's maternal grandfather) so when I get home tonight I am going to look up that last name for a property search in our County and then an obituary.. (not sure if he's still alive or not) Will post if I find out anything...

One a side notethe girl that I went to school with and was in girl scouts with, was adopted. She was biracial and her parents were white. Her parents seemed a little odd and the girl got into trouble and was sent away. Her parents eventually divorced and her mom died in a house fire back in 1991. (the mom was only 41 when she died). I googled the girl too and she is living half way across the country from me and from what I have read, she seems sucessful today! (I know it is the same girl, it listed her parents)

I'm new to this so may of got post/quote wrong but reading the whole thread, (and not being from USA) you can still be successful and not graduate high school ? just seemed your posts contradict each other. Post 308.

I hope after reading this there is closure soon. I also admire and love to see threads that people follow through from year to year. xx

Its not a misspelling. Her name is pronounced like Cherry.

Just an observation. It's kind of strange that this little girl was called "Cherrie" instead of the correct spelling. Cherie. Was there a name fad for creative spellings?

I have been haunted by this case for as long as I can remember. I will say upfront that my parents live in the town where Cherrie lived (in fact in saw my stepmom in that video posted of the most recent gathering at SMPC for Cherrie, which I bawled while watching). I grew up with her cousins, was very close friends with one of them (still do keep in touch). I knew her Grandma (sweetest lady ever). We will NEVER forget Cherrie. The town will never stop praying for her. They will never stop looking, hoping, wondering....

I will say, also, that I agree this wasn't a happenstance situation. This area is RURAL. And it was even more rural 30+ years ago. As someone else stated earlier in the thread, this isn't a pass through or a short cut to somewhere else. Sure you can get to some numbered roads 356, 422, etc from there, but its not really a route one would take, unless they had a reason to.

I have been looking for that van for as long as I can remember. I fear it has been a waste of effort. I feel that after all this time and THE VAN being the big clue, and having been plastered all over the news and posters and now online that if the van was the key to solving this, we would have found Cherrie by now.

I wish too, that I could hear/read first hand testimony from the other children that were dropped at her stop that day and from the mother that was waiting for her child. And then I just try to imagine being one of those children or that mother....how horrible it would feel to be the last person to see her, yet not be able to help her suffering family. I hope they have shared all they know/remember and have found peace.

Cherrie....you are always in our hearts and on our minds....I pray as always...you are safe and healthy somewhere.....

John Lordan's YouTube video on Cherrie Mahan. This was the first I had heard of the case and maybe it has brought the case to others as well:

[video=youtube;hRLx86mavzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLx86mavzg&list=PLtQTG_o0WfAdFPoySN1ukePSWurycYDd4&index=82[/video]

I have been haunted by this case for as long as I can remember. I will say upfront that my parents live in the town where Cherrie lived (in fact in saw my stepmom in that video posted of the most recent gathering at SMPC for Cherrie, which I bawled while watching). I grew up with her cousins, was very close friends with one of them (still do keep in touch). I knew her Grandma (sweetest lady ever). We will NEVER forget Cherrie. The town will never stop praying for her. They will never stop looking, hoping, wondering....

I will say, also, that I agree this wasn't a happenstance situation. This area is RURAL. And it was even more rural 30+ years ago. As someone else stated earlier in the thread, this isn't a pass through or a short cut to somewhere else. Sure you can get to some numbered roads 356, 422, etc from there, but its not really a route one would take, unless they had a reason to.

I have been looking for that van for as long as I can remember. I fear it has been a waste of effort. I feel that after all this time and THE VAN being the big clue, and having been plastered all over the news and posters and now online that if the van was the key to solving this, we would have found Cherrie by now.

I wish too, that I could hear/read first hand testimony from the other children that were dropped at her stop that day and from the mother that was waiting for her child. And then I just try to imagine being one of those children or that mother....how horrible it would feel to be the last person to see her, yet not be able to help her suffering family. I hope they have shared all they know/remember and have found peace.

Cherrie....you are always in our hearts and on our minds....I pray as always...you are safe and healthy somewhere.....

I wonder too Stellam if trying to track the van has been a wasted effort. I also wonder too what the other children, the mother and even the bus driver all think. It makes me sad just thinking about it.

I'm new to this so may of got post/quote wrong but reading the whole thread, (and not being from USA) you can still be successful and not graduate high school ? just seemed your posts contradict each other. Post 308.

I hope after reading this there is closure soon. I also admire and love to see threads that people follow through from year to year. xx

What I meant in #308 is she didn't graduate high school with me, she moved by then out of our school district. I never said she didn't graduate high school. And yes - I know many people who are successful who do not have a high school diploma. Geez

If you folks ever narrow the search area (keeping in mind that most perps don't want to carry a body very far, notably in the woods), shoot me a PM. I have forensic ground probes and a special metal detector set up for forensics that can detect dental fillings, jewelry, shoe eyelets, etc. As a Tracker, I'm pretty good at figuring out what trails, jeep paths etc that someone would use to egress a wooded area from the LKP/PLS when disposing of a body.

That would be awesome Tracker - I wish we had some more personal insiders on here about Cherrie's case that might be able to lead you in the right direction. I wonder even if the State Police would be willing to get involved since it's still an open case?

Hello I'm from the Saxonburg /Cabot area and I'm looking to help with this case as much as possible. Tracker, I noticed you mentioned you may have some tools to help with this investigation. I came across this forum while googling the case after making an unsettling discovery and I'd like to attempt to pursue this case in hopes of putting it to an end.

Hello I'm from the Saxonburg /Cabot area and I'm looking to help with this case as much as possible. Tracker, I noticed you mentioned you may have some tools to help with this investigation. I came across this forum while googling the case after making an unsettling discovery and I'd like to attempt to pursue this case in hopes of putting it to an end.

Welcome! (My first time saying welcome!). Hope you can help!!

What type of unsettling discovery did you make?

Thanks for the warm welcoming! I'd prefer to speak with someone in private regarding this because the information wasn't exactly obtained in an "orthodox" way.

Thanks for the warm welcoming! I'd prefer to speak with someone in private regarding this because the information wasn't exactly obtained in an "orthodox" way.

Feel free to PM me with the initial details.

I visited the area yesterday. This case haunts me and I believe its solvable. Someone knows something.

I visited the area yesterday. This case haunts me and I believe its solvable. Someone knows something.

Someone does. The abductor for one. Plus any associates. Someone local might know something but is scared to talk (spouse, kids, neighbor, etc).

Lauren's case is almost 30 years old and I am only now getting trickles of information. Jacob Wetterling took longer and only because a WS member dug up some information and published a book.

There is barely anything out there about Cherrie. I was surprised that Facebook didnt even have anything. So I created a page for her. Im trying to gather the widely scattered limited info into one place. I trekked out to the area recently and it was eye opening. I posted some video I took while driving past the crime scene. If you can correct or add anything please do. https://m.facebook.com/cherriemahan/

I find it odd how a van with a mural of a skier can disappear with a child into thin air?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back