PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hoping this is good news for Cherrie. Fresh, clear set of eyes on the case.
Was there ever a search of the area (or anywhere) for her? I know back then their weren't the search and rescue teams we are blessed with today, but wondering if the family/locals/state police did any searching. IMO
I was the same age as Cherrie when she went missing, so I am not sure if they had any search teams looking for her back then or not. I would at least hope so.

I had my son tape the news for me because I wasn’t home when this aired. I watched and had tears in my eyes, my heart breaks for Cherrie’s mom.

CHERRIE MAHAN DISAPPEARANCE: Anonymous letter could shed light on decades-old disappearance

Last summer, McKinney received a handwritten letter detailing who killed her daughter, why they did it and where her body could be found. The letter, signed by someone calling themselves Pastor Justice, ended: "I pray you find some peace after you find her body."

"I got it around her birthday," McKinney said.

She turned the letter over to police, but never heard back. Investigators told Target 11 they are still working on it. They also said another tip led them to search an Armstrong junkyard and an old mine shaft in Butler County within the last year.

I had my son tape the news for me because I wasn’t home when this aired. I watched and had tears in my eyes, my heart breaks for Cherrie’s mom.

CHERRIE MAHAN DISAPPEARANCE: Anonymous letter could shed light on decades-old disappearance

Last summer, McKinney received a handwritten letter detailing who killed her daughter, why they did it and where her body could be found. The letter, signed by someone calling themselves Pastor Justice, ended: "I pray you find some peace after you find her body."

"I got it around her birthday," McKinney said.

She turned the letter over to police, but never heard back. Investigators told Target 11 they are still working on it. They also said another tip led them to search an Armstrong junkyard and an old mine shaft in Butler County within the last year.
You never know with these types of tips. There are some demented people who get kicks tormenting parents of missing children. However....given the time passage and lack of publicity on the case for several years...I tend to think there is something to this. Let's hope so!

Hoping this is good news for Cherrie. Fresh, clear set of eyes on the case.
Was there ever a search of the area (or anywhere) for her? I know back then their weren't the search and rescue teams we are blessed with today, but wondering if the family/locals/state police did any searching. IMO
The reports stated they searched the wooded areas across from her house.

Attachments

• Cherrie Mahan search.JPG
    Cherrie Mahan search.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 17
My stomach dropped. I was not expecting anything new. Why do things take so very long? And I really hope the person who wrote that letter wrote it earnestly and that it wasn’t a cruel prank.
I am hoping the same thing. Why after all these years is someone coming forward with information - did that spark of the van in the junkyard last August make someone come forward?

All, I am new here first post. I live near the area, have some friends that are even closer to that area. I was about 6 years old when this happened and remember hearing about it at the time and occasionally the news story here or there but never any resolution. Honestly I am only here for this case and nothing else I just want to state that up front.

You never hear about it anymore but the other day I started to think about whatever happened to her and started digging. I don't even know why but the last few days something is pulling me in this direction to find more and more and try to help in anyway I possibly can. It really is troubling something like this can happen, and so close to where I live about 20 minutes away, and seemingly most people (including myself for the longest time) just forget about it. But I'm not forgetting about it anymore. I'm not sure what I can do, I'm just a database analyst with a free thinking mind. But I want to help.

I don't want to derail the thread by stating this - but I truly believe there is occult activity in that area, and I wonder if Cherrie was a target. Just things I've noticed, the type of things some of the people from that area post on facebook and things like that. Families where every single family member is posting flashing devil horns, and the father posted some sort of symbol as his profile pic. Ok maybe they just like rock music... But when I hear rumors AND actually see it in front of me, I can't shake that or ignore it. Creepy stuff.

Some of these people are proud to be called "Cabot crazies" and all they talk about is partying, etc. There is a facebook group called that. A bunch of degenerates. Every single post is about "my first beer, my first girl, my first party in Cabot". I like to have a good time myself, but there is more to life than indulging in alcohol and drugs and partying and what not. People into occult are all about pleasing themselves like this. They also seem very defensive, the post says "if you ain't from Cabot get the **** out". It's like a strange little sub community of degenerates that don't want outsiders knowing what they are up to. Someone posted about "crazy St. Joe's party every year". One of them was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 based off of the post of the dude that had the weird symbol as his profile pic. Just don't think that is a coincidence I'm sorry.

A friend of mine was from closer to there (same school district) and told me that as kids/teens they would dare each to actually go out that way. Rumors of satanic/occult activity, etc. Friends dad went hunting in those areas and my friend did not detail much but said it was just "weird" and "odd". Friend also stated that rumor at that time (friend is 8 years older than me so would have been like 14 or so at that time) pointed to the biological father. Maybe it's worth looking into his past I don't know. I should ask my friend (and I have a few others that could provide input as well) more about some of their classmates from that area, what they were like in school, etc. I have other friends from the "Butler" side of it (Clearfield/Herman area) that I went to school with that I could ask them about people from there as well as they are about 5 minutes from there.

There is something unsettling for sure. I read a 50 page police document (FBI and police from multiple states contributed) from the early 90s talking about the rise of occult and it's growth being a major problem for law enforcement. Cherrie's disappearance coincides within a few weeks of an"occult" holiday involving young kids. Am I allowed to post a link to the PDF I read?

Pages 8 and 9 seemed frightening to me, talked about either a staged or real human sacrifice and how they would "initiate" new members into it. I wonder if the people Gameman referred to (that the one husband and wife are adamant did it) fit into all of this. My gut points to them but likely people "above" them as well. Was there any relationship with these individuals and the bio father?

I don't know, it's gut feeling based off of observation and reading. I hope that is not what happened, but I can't shake this feeling that something like that is what happened to her.

Maybe my mind is barking up the wrong tree, I don't know. Some weird country folk possibly being devil worshippers is not evidence. I get that. But it's a gut feeling I can't shake it.

I feel like there has to be some shred of evidence somewhere in that area that has been overlooked. I am going to see if I can go to the library and view any old newspaper articles on it, hopefully there are still articles on microfilm there. Looking for any type of thing that may not have seemed important unless you are looking at it from a different perspective. I feel like so much was put into finding the van and what not but it's just a red herring. Things closer to home need to be looked at IMO. Not sure when I can go to the library but I want to soon probably this Saturday I have time.

Sorry for a long first post, and sorry if I come across as a crazy nutjob talking about the occult and possible ties to that area - but I thought it was worth posting here none the less. I am willing to help you guys in anyway. Want me to take a drive out there - will do. Need to show someone around that area how to get there - will do.

Last edited:
My stomach dropped. I was not expecting anything new. Why do things take so very long? And I really hope the person who wrote that letter wrote it earnestly and that it wasn’t a cruel prank.

Sadly, someone does this every year, both around this time and around her birthday.

Welcome! And thanks for sharing your personal insights.

Quick question: Are you saying you don’t think it’s the child molester & his brother or that you don’t think it’s the couple? Nobody has been named personally on here so hopefully we are on the same page. (As far as the woman, she could have been referring to her husband at the time or her current husband before they were married. It’s not her so much her claims as it is that one of the brothers has the criminal record to back it up.)

I always feel a little foolish playing armchair detective on here, knowing full well that the police have probably looked hard into these brothers, but until this case is solved, it’s a fairly reasonable theory. However, I DO have faith that the State Po have scrutinized Cherrie’s family more thoroughly than anyone else over the years, and there is nothing there. MOO

So in the letter Janice received last August, the author stated they know who did it and why. I would think if these people were investigated and are innocent, we may here some more rumbling kind of like we did about the van being found in August and people kind of going after the girl who turned in the tip. If it has been hush hush until now about the letter - I wonder if they are thoroughly investigating it and taking their time. My mind is all over the place with this. Just thinking out loud.....

There is a youtube video, (dont believe I can post link so if you want I can send it to you-PM me..) "The Unfound Pocast"...he visited the location of Cherrie's abduction in July, 2018, he actually walks from where the bus stopped to where Cherrie would have had to walk. He says he actually met a man the morning of his video (wild) that was on the bus with Cherrie and got off at the same stop, not far from her road. He was the one kid off of the bus that saw the van and gave LE the rare description of it. Until I saw this video, I never realized just how rural this place is. Her house is around the bend from this other student's house and up a long drive....This area screams opportunity for a stranger abduction too...IMO.

We drove out there today. I tried to upload some pictures of her driveway & bus stop but it would not let me. It’s very rural. You wouldn’t go there to get anywhere else. It’s desolate and depressing.
Why is it depressing? Some of us like living out in the country away from the City ghettos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back