PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don’t be sorry. My view on it is that if we’re begging anyone at all to come forward at this point, decades on, then it comes with the territory that the person has probably been holding on to the info for a while already. It is what it is; whatever gets her mother closure is a blessing. Also, it probably doesn’t encourage more people to report tips when they can expect a deluge of negativity.

Last edited:
Lets not let emotion rule and have us turning on each other when we are this close. Everyone has an opinion, as it should be. We challenge each other to dig. The brothers and sex offender history are an interesting development.

Focus on what we do know and lets dig for what we don't know. If there is a large amount of land to be searched for a dump site or grave, pressure needs to be applied to get it searched by foot, metal detector and even GPR if needed.

It took a long time to solve the Jacob Wetterling case, and LE knew a lot of the details and sat on their hands naming an innocent man as POI.

Lets not let emotion rule and have us turning on each other when we are this close. Everyone has an opinion, as it should be. We challenge each other to dig. The brothers and sex offender history are an interesting development.

Focus on what we do know and lets dig for what we don't know. If there is a large amount of land to be searched for a dump site or grave, pressure needs to be applied to get it searched by foot, metal detector and even GPR if needed.

It took a long time to solve the Jacob Wetterling case, and LE knew a lot of the details and sat on their hands naming an innocent man as POI.

It would indeed be a A LOT of land to be searched, if that family property needs to be searched. The land that is still owned by family members today is expansive and what was owned 30 years ago is even bigger. And there are plenty of places, both bodies of water and otherwise, that a body could be. If anyone else here is familiar with the area, you know what I mean...

You can usually rule out any area that cannot be easily accessed by foot or ATV. Few people will throw a body over their shoulder and go strolling off through the woods. Too many rocks and roots to trip over.

You can usually rule out any area that cannot be easily accessed by foot or ATV. Few people will throw a body over their shoulder and go strolling off through the woods. Too many rocks and roots to trip over.

If this was a recent thing, sure, maybe. But the landscape changes over the years. There might be somewhere that is not easily accessible now that was 33 years ago.

Has anyone ever watched a show called Cold Justice? Cold case experts work alongside local law enforcement for one week to take a fresh look at an old case. They have solved so many, including a 39 year old cold case.

THEY'RE CURRENTLY TAKING SUGGESTIONS FOR CASES TO LOOK AT NEXT. CAN WE CAN GET 50 PEOPLE TO SUBMIT CHERRIE'S CASE AND GET THEIR ATTENTION? (I've got myself and three family members so far.) It takes less than 60 seconds.

I don't have a Facebook anymore. Would anyone like to share this in the Cherrie Mahan groups?
Here is the link for case suggestions: Cold Justice Tip Line
The only other info you may need is:
Local Law Enforcement = PA State Police
Date of Incident = Feb 22, 1985

Has anyone ever watched a show called Cold Justice? Cold case experts work alongside local law enforcement for one week to take a fresh look at an old case. They have solved so many, including a 39 year old cold case.

THEY'RE CURRENTLY TAKING SUGGESTIONS FOR CASES TO LOOK AT NEXT. CAN WE CAN GET 50 PEOPLE TO SUBMIT CHERRIE'S CASE AND GET THEIR ATTENTION? (I've got myself and three family members so far.) It takes less than 60 seconds.

I don't have a Facebook anymore. Would anyone like to share this in the Cherrie Mahan groups?

I'm on it. I actually just started writing a letter on Friday that I planned to submit to ALL those cold case type shows.

I submitted her case to Cold Justice last night (saw the FB on Cherrie's page) I also shared it. I am also hoping the Police are working behind the scenes and have been working on the latest tip of the van or the other theories that have came to light recently.

Deleted, read back in thread & was already posted/discussed.
Any news?? I live in Butler Co & haven’t heard a word about any of this new info.
If the perp is dead, the owner of the van is dead, what could be done now to find Cherrie? What are the logical next steps in the investigation? MOO

Last edited:
The van description is a van many would remember for a long time. Wonder if would be in junkyard by now. If reported in news and social media now im sure someone would remember it and even who owned it.

Any Butler County locals hear any updates? I looked on the Memories of Cherrie Mahan FB page and last post was from the middle of September about submitting her case to Cold Justice.

It seems like the right people are working steadily on getting Cold Justice to happen, but it can take a year or more to even hear back.

I have an even sicker feeling about the person referred to in earlier posts, the one who was her grandmother’s neighbor. He has been found guilty of a different sex offense every decade or so since 1993, about a decade after Cherrie’s disappearance. I hadn’t realized it was more than one incident, but it appears he is a serial predator. Really wishing this case would get solved already...

Last edited:
It seems like the right people are working steadily on getting Cold Justice to happen, but it can take a year or more to even hear back.

I have an even sicker feeling about the person referred to in earlier posts, the one who was her grandmother’s neighbor. He has been found guilty of a different sex offense every decade or so since 1993, about a decade after Cherrie’s disappearance. I hadn’t realized it was more than one incident, but it appears he is a serial predator. Really wishing this case would get solved already...

I do too. Her disappearance has haunted me since she went missing. I still remember watching the news as a 9 year old wondering what happened to her. It didn't help matters that a guy who lived a near me had a van with a skier painted on it. It freaked me out and my parents thought I was crazy. Someone knows something - I just wish they would crack!

Like many of you, I have been following this case since it happened. I was so glad to finally see a new tip posted above and on FB. Has anyone heard any new developments and if this tip is legitimate?

Deleted, read back in thread & was already posted/discussed.
Any news?? I live in Butler Co & haven’t heard a word about any of this new info.
If the perp is dead, the owner of the van is dead, what could be done now to find Cherrie? What are the logical next steps in the investigation? MOO

Determine the movements of the Perp/Van owner around the time Cherrie went missing. Hundreds of interviews of neighbors, friends, associates, co-workers, bar tenders, etc. Try to put a map together and find out where the individual liked to hang out, hunt. hike, fish, etc. Helps narrow the search area.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
friesandchips
Back