Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it was a week night, the downtown area (where he would be traveling) is not desolate. If foul-play was involved on his way home, someone would have seen something (from a car, hotel window, passerby on foot). The last local news I saw (on the 8th) said that he was seen on camera on Duquesne Blvd near Clemente Bridge, just around corner from Katz. It would be awesome to hear they find one with him on Federal Street (on other side of bridge). Praying they find some information! I believe someone else pointed this out here earlier, and I know it may sound too simple, but if you add drinking + walking a descent distance in the cold this could be a spot to step off the path to use restroom. (pic below) There are steps off to the left of the 6th Street/Clemente Bridge. Those steps take you down underneath the bridge to the Heritage Pathway, which has NO railing or anything on the river side.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Stairs to Heritage Walkway off Clemente Bridge.jpg
    Stairs to Heritage Walkway off Clemente Bridge.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 399
Does anyone know if there are any abandoned buildings or houses on the North Side where someone could be held against their will ? Also, the person who walked the same path that Dakota may have and saw a dark colored coat, was there red trim on the bottom of the coat? Picture of Dakota shows him wearing a dark colored coat with either red trim at the bottom or a red shirt hanging out from underneath his coat. This could be very important.

No abandoned buildings that would be apt for something like this in the North Shore, Allegheny Center, Central Northside neighborhoods. However, there are some in Manchester and especially in Chateau, which is the swathe of large warehouses and other industrial facilities between the Ohio River and Route 65. Not speculating he's in one of these, rather answering a query about the North Side.

I feel like a focus needs to be put on the north side at this point, since updates stated that there was a photo of him on the Roberto Clemente Bridge. What happened from the bridge to home. If he would have "fallen" into the river, it would have had to be on the North Side of town, rather than Downtown I would think. What if he isn't in the river at all. One of the businesses SHOULD have a camera on Federal Street from PNC Park to the I-279 underpass. I hate to think this could be the case, but what if someone saw him walking alone that was coming out of one of the bars on Federal Street and followed him. I would hope that bar/business owners wouldn't withhold footage to save the bars reputation. If footage proves someone from one of their bars would have followed them, it could ruin the bars reputation and put them out of business. I would hope in a situation like this that the owners would be empathetic enough to share the information.

Considering the amount of time that has passed and with the only 'evidence' to date being cadaver dogs scent hit(s) at the river's edge, it is difficult not to conclude that DJ ended up in the Allegheny, maybe after having descended the stairway that leads to the Heritage Trail to relieve himself at the river's edge and likely is downstream from the bridge, probably well in to the Ohio.

What doesn't make sense is how could cadaver dogs hit on a scent within tens of feet of the bridge / shore joiner? Would that not preclude that a body was still at the location and that decomposition occurred and or perhaps was on the bank long enough for decomp. gases to permeate?

A person would not instantly decease upon hitting the water (barring heart attack or shock-related) unless already deceased and even then, decomp. gases do not immediately appear. A body could flow from the scene or get snagged on debris. Multiple dives in the area have come up empty. This is not to say that dive discoveries are easy. In fact they are difficult, especially in deep, murky runs that haven't been dredged for some time (at least 3.5 years ago for the Allegheny and I'm not sure if that dredging included the run along downtown Pittsburgh.

Other case assumptions could include injured/forced in to the river after having been robbed during a 'meet-up', an abduction before/on/after the bridge and taken elsewhere, voluntary departure (family indicates this is 'not possible') or DJ still is somewhere downtown, hidden until found.

Cadaver dog info:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ent_accurate_can_smell_remains_15_feet_d.html

[FONT=&quot]If the dog has the proper training in picking up the full range of scents of human decomposition, his accuracy rate is about 95 percent, said Sharon Ward, a cadaver dog trainer in Portland, Ore.[/FONT]

If the cadaver dogs used in this case are well-trained and did indeed hit on a scent, that implies a body was at the location at least long enough to deposit material.

It is now known that his coat was dark blue and he had a long red shirt underneath that can be seen hanging down from underneath the bottom of his coat. Can't believe it took so long for that to be figured out. The co worker he was with should have been able to give an accurate description. I don't get it.

It is now known that his coat was dark blue and he had a long red shirt underneath that can be seen hanging down from underneath the bottom of his coat. Can't believe it took so long for that to be figured out. The co worker he was with should have been able to give an accurate description. I don't get it.

So I see where someone posted on the MDJFB a screenshot of Dakota's mom's FB post in which she says after seeing the surveillance video herself, she realized it was actually his blue coat that he was wearing. Yet, it still says, "Police have determined through the surveillance video that Dakota's jacket worn, at time missing, was a greyish-black jacket; not dk green as originally noted." on the MDJFB. This really needs to be cleared up ASAP. Dakota has been missing for over two weeks now ... :(.

I know it is probably nothing, but I found it strange. I walked around at lunch again for possible leads and there is a police officer in his car in front of Images and another one in the alley way right after Images and across from the Wood street station.

Considering the amount of time that has passed and with the only 'evidence' to date being cadaver dogs scent hit(s) at the river's edge, it is difficult not to conclude that DJ ended up in the Allegheny, maybe after having descended the stairway that leads to the Heritage Trail to relieve himself at the river's edge and likely is downstream from the bridge, probably well in to the Ohio.

What doesn't make sense is how could cadaver dogs hit on a scent within tens of feet of the bridge / shore joiner? Would that not preclude that a body was still at the location and that decomposition occurred and or perhaps was on the bank long enough for decomp. gases to permeate?

A person would not instantly decease upon hitting the water (barring heart attack or shock-related) unless already deceased and even then, decomp. gases do not immediately appear. A body could flow from the scene or get snagged on debris. Multiple dives in the area have come up empty. This is not to say that dive discoveries are easy. In fact they are difficult, especially in deep, murky runs that haven't been dredged for some time (at least 3.5 years ago for the Allegheny and I'm not sure if that dredging included the run along downtown Pittsburgh.

Other case assumptions could include injured/forced in to the river after having been robbed during a 'meet-up', an abduction before/on/after the bridge and taken elsewhere, voluntary departure (family indicates this is 'not possible') or DJ still is somewhere downtown, hidden until found.

Cadaver dog info:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ent_accurate_can_smell_remains_15_feet_d.html

If the cadaver dogs used in this case are well-trained and did indeed hit on a scent, that implies a body was at the location at least long enough to deposit material.

Could it be the cadaver dog picked up scent from another body in the river?

Cadaver dog info:

I thought the dogs that alerted on his scent were the bloodhounds brought in by his parents. Was it verified anywhere that these were actually cadaver dogs?

I thought the dogs that alerted on his scent were the bloodhounds brought in by his parents. Was it verified anywhere that these were actually cadaver dogs?

LE spokesperson and reporters referred to the dogs as "cadaver dogs".

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017...ad-student-walking-through-cultural-district/

Earlier on Tuesday, cadaver dogs searching the shoreline on the North Shore picked up a scent near the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...ssing-Duquesne-U-student/stories/201702080144

bbm

Police spokeswoman Sonya Toler confirmed today that cadaver dogs Tuesday had searched the Allegheny River shoreline and had picked up a scent, but divers found nothing. Pittsburgh River Rescue has conducted daily searches of the rivers and the Greensburg Bloodhound Team has been deployed along the river banks. Also, the Allegheny Mountain Rescue Group has been helping in the search.

That picture of him was taken at Katz Plaza just a few feet from the entrance to a skinny dark alley and the entrance to a parking garage. I live right up the street from where he disappeared. I hope there are answers for his family soon��

That picture of him was taken at Katz Plaza just a few feet from the entrance to a skinny dark alley and the entrance to a parking garage. I live right up the street from where he disappeared. I hope there are answers for his family soon��

The 'skinny dark alley', where does it lead you to? Could he get to his residence that way. Is it the back way for entry to businesses or apartments? just curious...

The 'skinny dark alley', where does it lead you to? Could he get to his residence that way. Is it the back way for entry to businesses or apartments? just curious...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DJ proposed walking path d.jpg
    DJ proposed walking path d.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 279
I am totally new here, but following this thread closely. I work at another university in Pittsburgh, and following this and thinking of the kids I work - it's breaking my heart for his family and friends.

I just wanted to jump in and say that I learned a ton about cadaver dogs from the first season of the podcast Someone Knows Something. They were brought in in a case where a child had been missing, and was thought to have possibly fallen in a lake, 30 years later. What I got out of it was both how incredibly powerful their noses are, but also how non-perfect a science it is. If I'm recalling correctly, their having a hit on the shore does not necessarily mean that there was a dead body at that spot. It could be picking up something from very far away, downstream.

This is if I'm remembering right, and also if these were indeed cadaver dogs and not bloodhounds or another type of detecting dog. But what I took away from that episode is while cadaver dogs may be able to detect that body is or has been in the water...that's about it.

ChuckMaureen,

What is that at the end? An entrance to a building?

thank you.

ChuckMaureen,

What is that at the end? An entrance to a building?

thank you.

The far end of Scott Place runs from Fort Duquesne Blvd. to and through Katz Plaza to Penn Avenue.

DJ also may have walked through the pass-thru (next to the Theater Parking Garage entrance/exit) from Scott Place to Barkers Place, which also runs from Penn Avenue to Fort Duquesne Blvd.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DJ proposed walking path a.png
    DJ proposed walking path a.png
    262 KB · Views: 426
[video=youtube;3rM3uhIMcBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rM3uhIMcBI[/video]

This reporter points over to a building, which sits between Scott and 7th, when she says it had video which picked up Dakota on foot. They only shared a single clip with the public, but it sounds like those cameras follow him onto Duquesne Blvd so the building must have cameras on all sides which would cover 7th street and Scott Place (that narrow alley way). I wish they were more specific, and we knew whether it was able to catch him all the way to the bridge. http://www.wpxi.com/news/police-res...ny-river-for-missing-north-side-man/490995274 Once they got the first image of him, it had to cut down how much video they need to sift through. With how many cameras seen in that area - they should have an exact spot where he went off the grid by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay