Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm wondering why the other person isn't speaking publicly.

This is so chilling and heartbreaking. :-(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I agree. I guess that could potentially mean—provided the camera timestamps are off—that he was trying to send an important text, but was fighting with someone for control of his phone as he was doing it. Maybe I'm off base here, but if the family is as close as they say they are, what are the odds (in some level of drunken condition) that he'd try texting (or calling) his dad instead of dialing 911? Something to think about.

I don't really buy into the butt texting thing. There has to be a lot of accidental touching in a pocket for that to happen with today's phones...especially if you have a password, fingerprint or eye scanner, etc. to unlock your phone. The fact that it was his father who received a "butt text" really concerns me. Prior to this garbled text, when was the last time he sent one to his dad?

i thought it was confirmed he wasn't the one kicked out of the bar and the manager of the bar confused him with someone else

Where did you read that?

From what I recall, the manager wasn't even there. He relayed what he was told from the bartender that night.

- Yeah I thought the report of him missing was done quickly, but thought that was just my own thought. As mentioned, after a night of drinking and bar hopping as was put out to the public, I would really just assume he was hungover, sick, sleeping, missed the alarm and just hasn't gotten up for the day yet.

I don't really know that co-workers would call after me at all because of not being at work the next day...not without a reason.
Putting myself in co-worker's situation, if I leave my co-worker from happy hour and they don't show up for work the next day, I'm not calling cops and fearing they're missing. Even if when we said good bye I didn't see that person get in their car, or make it home etc. And even if we left and said "let me know when you're home" and didn't speak after that...I would still just think (espec after drinking) that the person forgot. I myself may also forget or fall asleep (again esp. after drinking). My point is that my mind just wouldn't go to the worst thing first. Again, not unless I had reason (like knowing something uncomfortable was planned such as a meet up). Wondering if perhaps the co-worker does know more and has been cooperative, provided that information.
A while back I had asked if anyone knew why Grindr was such a focal point. I don't think anyone replied to that, so I'm asking again. Anyone know how it came up? I haven't seen anything that shows reason to point to that specific app. So is it possible that the co-worker knew of a meet up, or of a situation and has provided this info and that's what prompted focus toward that site? My point being, I don't think it's that no one is saying anything....I think it's just that not everything is being aired publicly. You can't tell me not a single co-worker, friend, fellow student etc is concerned and isn't anything.
Now that co-worker(s) and reason for the happy hour come up... I'd like to know a couple more details. I don't really think about the why for the celebrating necessarily. The end of the work day seems like a good enough reason for a bit of drinking to me. My main thoughts are about why so late and why so much on that particular day of the week.
I think I read somewhere it started out as a few people and then dwindled to DJ and 1 co-worker....is this accurate? Is co-worker male/female? I thought I read female but a lot of stuff just says "co-worker" and I'm not really seeing "she"s or "her"s in a lot of stuff. Also, around the same age and how close are they - enough to talk about dating sites, who they're currently seeing, previous/current hook ups etc? Because I think there could be a lot of thoughts based off of thinking that all the co-worker(s) are same age and have similar life situations and interests...but it's possible that may not be the case. I work with and happy hour with a large age range of co-workers.

I try to fit myself in this situation with different co-workers playing the "co-worker" part of the night and I have to say it really does change everything knowing those little details. Some situations have me dragging the person out for "one more drink, one more stop!" etc and some have the co-worker doing that. Some situations are a hey keep me company til it's time to meet ____ (which would keep the timeline going late). It also really varies with the level of openness and personal info I'd be sharing. See what I mean?

Ya know, a lot of us have a lot, and I mean a lot of good points, theories, thoughts, questions and suggestions no matter how big or little, they could all be helpful in piecing this together. Thank you all and keep them coming!

These are great thoughts! I have been wondering almost from the beginning about unanswered questions related to the co-worker and their place of employment.

But this particular question did not occur to me. Why *did* they call so quickly?

Some people have speculated that they may have been out to celebrate, but really the first thing that occurred to me is that they may have been out to console somebody. Did they get bad news from school? Did their company have layoffs or did a particularly trying project come to an end? Was someone having relationship problems? Maybe that's the reason for bar hopping. Perhaps that coworker was trying to console Dakota or vice versa. Or if someone was having relationship problems, they could hang around, they bar hopped seeing it as an opportunity to break through with someone they were interested in romantically.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12004988-74/james-police-duquesne

The welfare check wasn't called in until the co-worker tip on Friday. If you see the time line the police have in this article and from the press conference. He didn't show up Thursday and when he didn't come in Friday they finally called. They did think he was sleeping it off the first day. I have read DJ's mom say the co-worker has been interviewed several times and she just moved here from out of state so this is more than likely a nightmare she never imagined ending up in.

"There’s been no evidence of an abduction or something to signify that somebody has him,” Peduto said. “I realize that the family’s heart is broken."

They just have no other leads to follow. It does not mean they are not looking for him anymore. It would be very frustrating for the family. I was going crazy looking for my sister on the second day; but in my heart I knew she was gone. Recovering them is very important for closer. The need to know what happened to them is too. Most of all, if someone hurt them, making that person pay for what they have done is too.

Dakota needs to be found one way or another...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The welfare check wasn't called in until the co-worker tip on Friday. If you see the time line the police have in this article and from the press conference. He didn't show up Thursday and when he didn't come in Friday they finally called. They did think he was sleeping it off the first day. I have read DJ's mom say the co-worker has been interviewed several times and she just moved here from out of state so this is more than likely a nightmare she never imagined ending up in.

I am so glad you found that! I had a whole thing typed up and deleted it! I kept wondering how they jumped to the conclusion of him being in danger so quickly!

I find it very frustrating that LE will not release an image of him at the end of Scott Place where it intersects with FDB. I would think that at this point with the family challenging their efforts, that they would want to provide as much information to the public that they can. Especially, since they stated that they saw him there on the video but can't make out if he we went left or right on FDB. I don't get it, if they confirmed it why not release photo/video to the public. Sometimes its nice to just have the proof rather than taking their word for it that he was there. I often think that LE is making statements that not may or may not be entirely true just because the family is putting pressure on them.

Yes, share photo/video of Dakota where Scott PL intersects with FDB, or at least let us know how far down Scott Place he got - all the way down to FDB or past the parking garage entrance/exit, etc.? I just can't quite tell from the following statement released by LE:

"Received two new videos from the Cultural Trust showing Dakota walk through Katz Plaza at approximately 11:46 p.m. ... He is seen holding his phone in one video. When he enters the frame of the second video, he is walking down Scott Place toward Fort Duquesne Blvd. ... It is unclear if he walks to the right or to the left when he emerges onto Ft. Duquesne Blvd. Additional video does not show Dakota going across any bridge to the Northshore or doubling back on Scott Place."

They seem pretty confident Dakota did not turn around, so if he did reach the north end of Scott PL, why not focus their efforts on FDB, as well as north of there, and then possibly west and/or east of the Scott Place/FDB, and so on?

What really caught my attention watching the videos posted by pittsburgh1 (great work - extremely helpful!) was all the nooks and crannies along the way. Made me wonder if LE have searched every single utility-room-type space inside the buildings along Scott Place, all of the loading docks, etc. Reminded me of a college student whose "body was found slumped over machinery in a dormitory's high-voltage utility room," which was found a little over two months after the student went missing. He had been electrocuted (http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/0...-closet-is-that-wade-steffey-death-ruled.html). But then most of this would not be relevant if we knew for sure Dakota did make it to FDB via Scott PL.

Also, does anyone remember whether any non-cadaver, scent-tracking dogs have been used? It seems like a good idea, but perhaps not in a highly populated area.

Tracker, are you talking about Shane Montgomery in this post?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

While I am not saying what happened to Shane is what happened to Dakota (and fully understand every case is different), I wanted to share the timeline of Shane's case for reference purposes. Shane was found in waist-deep water, about one-quarter mile downstream from where he is suspected to have gone in, 37 days after disappearing from a bar:

"Search For Shane Timeline:

Thanksgiving Morning, 2014: Shane was last seen.

November 30, 2014: The Manayunk Canal was first dredged and the FBI joined the investigation.

December 10, 2014: Surveillance video showing Shane near the river was released.

December 21, 2014: Shane’s keys were found by search teams in the water.

January 3, 2015: The body of Shane Montgomery was pulled from the river."
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-far-from-where-shane-montgomery-disappeared/

MHenry
snipped for space; A while back I had asked if anyone knew why Grindr was such a focal point.

I was at the gym but saw Grinder was on his phone, neither Grindr nor phone company will co operate due to privacy law.....if I heard right .......no idea what channel gym had on .....a couple days ago

These videos were great! I live in Pittsburgh area and even on a Friday night around 11pm the town is pretty wrapped up and only trouble can await you at these hours. I 100% agree that NO ONE would go thru Katz Plaza and go thru Scotts Place & Barkers Place UNLESS they were for a reason. Like meeting someone. Even in the day I bet these areas are shady. And he would have simply walked down Penn to 6th then across the bridge. He wasn't a stupid guy. Job & Masters program? Yeah, not stupid enough to walk thru there without a good reason. I feel that if cameras do not show him exiting Scott or Barkers Place or show him going over bridge, something happened in those alley ways or parking garage area. There are a lot of doors in those areas.

If there is a legal investigation phone companies always cooperate. They can get text messages. Police have to request. I would think the same about Grindr.

My curiosity is why is that such a hot point and not Facebook, Instagram, and a number of other apps that could also be on his phone.

MHenry
snipped for space; A while back I had asked if anyone knew why Grindr was such a focal point.

I was at the gym but saw Grinder was on his phone, neither Grindr nor phone company will co operate due to privacy law.....if I heard right .......no idea what channel gym had on .....a couple days ago

They should definitely be looking at all social media on his phone. I assumed there was a reason for their Grindr curiousity in terms of friends saying he used it, etc. I think all social media info should be requested by the police along with all text messages and voicemails if possible.

My curiosity is why is that such a hot point and not Facebook, Instagram, and a number of other apps that could also be on his phone.

Grindr is an app that is for hooking up or meeting someone to have sex. I have heard there is only a horny or bored option. The huge thing that is a worry with this app is the GPS within it. You can go anywhere and although they say the GPS function is not completely accurate it can tell you within 1600-1800 feet the closest person on the app that you can meet up with. If you have it on your phone another person I believe can see someone is there in the room and from there I'm not sure if they can look at your profile and info but I would think you can flirt with some kind of invite and go from there. They know DJ had this on his phone and want all the records from that night.

You'd think so, right? However, if he was abducted and the person who took him was smart enough to make sure he picked DJ up at a place where there'd be no video evidence, then it's likely that person would be smart enough to not leave a traceable trail on social media apps.

What other options for communication between the two would there be? Snapchat (where messages would automatically be deleted)? Anything else?

Heck, if you want to believe there's a serial killer in Pittsburgh that's been doing this for years, maybe he has a device in his vehicle that blocks cellphone signals.

They should definitely be looking at all social media on his phone. I assumed there was a reason for their Grindr curiousity in terms of friends saying he used it, etc. I think all social media info should be requested by the police along with all text messages and voicemails if possible.

You'd think so, right? However, if he was abducted and the person who took him was smart enough to make sure he picked DJ up at a place where there'd be no video evidence, then it's likely that person would be smart enough to not leave a traceable trail on social media apps.

What other options for communication between the two would there be? Snapchat (where messages would automatically be deleted)? Anything else?

Heck, if you want to believe there's a serial killer in Pittsburgh that's been doing this for years, maybe he has a device in his vehicle that blocks cellphone signals.

Maybe his car flies like Batman and does not leave a trace...I think are imaginations are running away with us here..

Actually, just google "block cell phone signal in car" and you'll see a bunch of products that are relatively inexpensive. They are used for parents who want to block their children from texting and driving.

Maybe his car flies like Batman and does not leave a trace...I think are imaginations are running away with us here..

What we know is DJ walked through Katz, captured on camera. He was then seen again on camera walking through Scott Place and putting his phone in his pocket. I imagine he put his phone away because he saw who he was meeting and didn't need it anymore. LE says he made it to FDB, but couldn't tell if he turned L or R and that's where the trail ends. He could have gotten into a car right at that intersection or a parked one on Scott Place.

Also, with the Warhol/7th St. Bridge being closed for construction, there'd be no reason to turn R. If you did, the Katz/Scott "shortcut" would have been pointless. He went that way intentionally and I can't believe it was to turn R when he got to FDB (which is the opposite direction he needed to get home).

Let's not forget there were people at the bus stop and there is an apartment complex there, too. If he screamed or something, wouldn't someone hear it? That leads me to think he got into a car willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay