Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/11153639-74/cameras-employee-camera

I am still wondering if the camera on the 6th street bridge was ever fixed. As referenced in the article from September 16, 2016. The city would probably not admit to that and could be a possibility of why the trail is cold at FDB. If that's the case they did have several months to correct the problem before this happened and possibly could have been evidence of DJ on the bridge or near the trail.

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/11153639-74/cameras-employee-camera

I am still wondering if the camera on the 6th street bridge was ever fixed. As referenced in the article from September 16, 2016. The city would probably not admit to that and could be a possibility of why the trail is cold at FDB. If that's the case they did have several months to correct the problem before this happened and possibly could have been evidence of DJ on the bridge or near the trail.

It's a possibility, but there are a number of cameras on FDB on the way to 6th St. That's assuming he didn't cross FDB after exiting Scott Place. However, there's a median in the middle of the road, so that's not likely.

Actually, just google "block cell phone signal in car" and you'll see a bunch of products that are relatively inexpensive. They are used for parents who want to block their children from texting and driving.

Sorry I had no idea. But that would block your child's call for help. I would never do it. Besides my cars have OnStar and a device like that would probably interfere with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I had no idea. But that would block your child's call for help. I would never do it. Besides my cars have OnStar and a device like that would probably interfere with it.

That's the point, and a potential reason why DJ's phone didn't ping again.

Were any of the cameras at the Byham on Ft. Duquesne Blvd. looked at? There are several after you turn left at Barkers Place towards the Sixth Street Bridge.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 221
Regarding the co-worker (the one who hired an Uber), does she have an ex-BF or ex- or estranged H?

Just putting it out there....

I am going to go with Dakota being put in the river...or else if he was depressed we would probably see him jump into the river...

I am going to go with Dakota being put in the river...or else if he was depressed we would probably see him jump into the river...

I guess only the people who were with him last would know if he was feeling bad about something. If they were close enough friends of his...But often times work friends are not those you confide in...

Thanksgiving Morning, 2014: Shane was last seen.

November 30, 2014: The Manayunk Canal was first dredged and the FBI joined the investigation.

Why was the FBI involved so early on in that case?

Do we know if the FBI became involved in Dakota's case?

I ask because Dakota's mother has been livid on Facebook from the very early days, accusing Pittsburgh authorities of botching and not handling the investigation properly.

Who involves the FBI? Do they get alerted by default and decide to join, or are they requested to participate by local police?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Apologies if these questions are naive, but this is the first missing persons case I've followed.

When someone goes missing, what prompts the police to release recivered videos to the public? I ask because it sounds like the family has been asking and asking for the video to be released. I'm not quite sure if they are doing that because they think that that might jog somebody's memory or if they're asking to see the video themselves.

What is standard operating procedure for things like this in terms of videos and images that the police obtain? Why would they decide not to release this these extra images?

I'm not accusing them at all. I'm more trying to understand what is standard in situations like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I believe I may have found the main reason why LE typically is reluctant to release surveillance video unless it is absolutely necessary to the case, i.e., to reveal an image of a POI or PERP or to reveal an image of a crime then-in-progress or to release an image of the missing person, etc:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/video-surveillance-legal-evidence-mike-bomas-llb-ll-m-acf

bbm

Issues of Privacy

[FONT=&amp]The right which is most frequently referred to in this context and is generally most juxtaposed against the use of surveillance is the right to privacy. The right to protection from arbitrary invasion of privacy is a fundamental human right, laid down in article 17 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). The ICCPR has 160 state parties and thus creates obligations which stretch across most of the world.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Article 17 of the ICCPR:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1. No one shall be subject to arbitrary or unlawful interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to unlawful attacks on his honor and reputation
[/FONT]

1. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks
[FONT=&amp]The European Convention on Human Rights also contains a similar provision protecting the privacy of its citizens. Claims in the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) have been made pursuant to article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights which protects the “right to respect for private life”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Article 8 of the European Convention on Human rights stipulates:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
In United States of America citizen’s privacy is safeguarded by “The Forth Amendment”. One would be hard pressed to find a more eloquent summation of the rights the Fourth Amendment protects than this one by Justice Brandeis:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
“It is not the breaking of his doors, and the rummaging of his drawers, that constitutes the essence of the offense; but it is the invasion of his indefeasible right of personal security, personal liberty and private property, where that right has never been forfeited . . .”[/FONT]

DJ was walking in downtown Pittsburgh, on public streets but DJ also was walking on private property (i.e.: bars, venues, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust property).

The argument could be made that a person appearing in a public space or within open view of a public space should have no reasonable expectation of "privacy".

Regarding private property, one must obtain permission from the property owner to record video or take photographs.

Note that the Article specifically indicates protection from "interference by a public authority."

LE represents "public authority".

PPD could offer reasonable argument against releasing video but there have been cases where video had been released to the public. One case to note is that of Paul Kochu, who also went missing in Pittsburgh. In this video, we see PK walk in to frame after the 20-second mark:

[video=youtube;IbtBGpBLpWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtBGpBLpWQ[/video]

IMO, DJ's family should use the PK video release to bolster their argument to PPD that they should release surveillance video of DJ.

The PK video was released before PK was eventually recovered. I believe this is video from a *privately owned* camera. IIRC, it is attached to someone's house and they have it aimed as you see in the video. It was 'easy' for news media to obtain the video since LE did not have ownership to control its release.

Also note Paul Kochu's roommates were interviewed.

[video=youtube;ZJZ0EL2VZJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZ0EL2VZJ0[/video]

What is different about the DJ case? Is it because he is gay? Does LE suspect a potential hate crime? Or is it simply LE has issued a more reserved approach for investigating missing person cases since the PK case?

I think Dakota was the victim of a hate crime...We need to punish these crimes with the same prejudice that these types of people stalk their victims.

I think Dakota was the victim of a hate crime...We need to punish these crimes with the same prejudice that these types of people stalk their victims.

Feeling sad in Pittsburgh right now...

New here and born and raised in Pittsburgh. I was just thinking.....since the police cannot obtain the cell phone records, I might suggest the family go to his apartment and check his computer/laptop (assuming he had one since he was a grad student and most of us have them these days). There may already be a saved login to his cell phone provider where the family could automatically pull up his account? Just a thought.

Privacy laws are tough these days...if only police could get a warrant for Grindr - I don't know if it is a missing link but it could sure help to eliminate any questions.

New here and born and raised in Pittsburgh. I was just thinking.....since the police cannot obtain the cell phone records, I might suggest the family go to his apartment and check his computer/laptop (assuming he had one since he was a grad student and most of us have them these days). There may already be a saved login to his cell phone provider where the family could automatically pull up his account? Just a thought.

Privacy laws are tough these days...if only police could get a warrant for Grindr - I don't know if it is a missing link but it could sure help to eliminate any questions.

Police are probably blocking his apartment or his family would be staying there instead of a hotel.. Preserving it for crime lab just in case...

I believe police have video of what happened to Dakota in the alley. He either got into a car or met up with someone. They can't release it because it would alert the suspect and hurt their chances of arresting and prosecuting said person. Also, if a crime was committed on the video surveillance, they certainly would not release it to the public.

Also, I think nothing of Dakota and his friend drinking heavily on a Wednesday night. I see it all the time. They are young.

I agree that LE know's more about what happened. Their statement about not knowing if he turned L or R is bogus. R makes absolutely no sense (he took a shortcut for a reason and it wasn't to backtrack), and there are cameras L. They know something more than they are telling. But, what do they know. There are no cameras on that last stretch of Scott. So they may know a car pulled out, but that's it. No details on make or model, no plate numbers, etc. The nearest working camera was a building away at an angle that probably couldn't capture that spot.

attachment.php

I believe police have video of what happened to Dakota in the alley. He either got into a car or met up with someone. They can't release it because it would alert the suspect and hurt their chances of arresting and prosecuting said person. Also, if a crime was committed on the video surveillance, they certainly would not release it to the public.

Also, I think nothing of Dakota and his friend drinking heavily on a Wednesday night. I see it all the time. They are young.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics