Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the line seems to be "crossing the street" at one point I would think they know he walked this distance, they seen him on video.

I hope they get more footage from other streets.

The Warhol bridge is closed to cars/bikes/peds for rehabilitation. That is the bridge closest to the last known location. Could he have tried crossing that closed bridge at night? Perhaps it has open railings or bridge deck, etc.

I've seen on private social media, and in MSM articles that the search did occur. This facebook post is incredibly confusing. I think, paraphrased, the reality is that this outside young man tried to help out the family by trying to organize an additional unauthorized search and then the family said no thanks, we got this, we don't need another independent group of searchers going on during our search - we have sufficient volunteers to cover the search area.

So then this unauthorized (but I'm sure well-intentioned) cancelled their effort to organize the search and they did it in a way that was very confusing. The search was still held, it was just that they weren't organizing it.

http://www.wtae.com/article/family-and-community-search-for-missing-duquesne-student/8676857

bbm

“I need proof that’s my child. Somebody show me a picture. Show me what you have. We need to see his face. Let us verify who he is. I'm at my pissed point," she said. "Port Authority has not shared the surveillance. Period. The city and the police have not shared surveillance video that they do have for me to prove that’s my child. We've already been on one wild goose chase that was not my child, and we've been able to identify that, so that was fake news and I hate that. It’s time that we get the answers that we need. I’m pissed now."

Interesting phrase: "...so that was fake news...". I don't recall such a news article, so might we assume that information was between LE or PI and the family?

One reason LE / PA might not want to share video is to reveal actual coverage areas. Believe it or not revealing such info could be a security risk although I doubt DJ's family could be considered as certain type of evil-doers.

Another reason might be to protect innocents who appear in frame. LE would want to avoid for any family becoming overzealous in wanting to identify everyone in frame or be accusatory of such innocents.

Those reasons are a stretch but valid to a degree given the emotional intensity of the situation.

The mother is correct though in that the family should be shown proof of what they're being told. It isn't a trust issue as much as it is verification of information presented to them as "fact". The family has already been led on one "wild goose chase" and after such, I, too, would be cautious in accepting whatever I was told from that moment forward.

What sticks in my mind is the issue of "45 of 163" cameras either malfunctioning or otherwise useless for their intended purpose. It's been months since those news articles and no word on how many cameras have been restored to intended-purpose functionality... we do not know if any of those cameras are along streets which DJ may have walked in attempt to get to his apartment. If any of those 'malfunctioning' cameras are along potential routes there likely will be a firestorm in the 'Burgh.

I've seen on private social media, and in MSM articles that the search did occur. This facebook post is incredibly confusing. I think, paraphrased, the reality is that this outside young man tried to help out the family by trying to organize an additional unauthorized search and then the family said no thanks, we got this, we don't need another independent group of searchers going on during our search - we have sufficient volunteers to cover the search area.

So then this unauthorized (but I'm sure well-intentioned) cancelled their effort to organize the search and they did it in a way that was very confusing. The search was still held, it was just that they weren't organizing it.

I do not believe the search was "canceled".

Elainera

Quote Originally Posted by Burgher
The news is reporting that the family called off the planned search scheduled for Sunday.

Hi Burgher, do you have a link for that? TIA!

Elainera asked for a link to the info Burgher posted (that Sunday's search was canceled) and I saw no one had yet responded to that so I replied with a link to the page that likely made some people believe the search was "canceled".

I would guess Elainera's concern was if the search had been canceled, was it due to a break in the case.

The Warhol bridge is closed to cars/bikes/peds for rehabilitation. That is the bridge closest to the last known location. Could he have tried crossing that closed bridge at night? Perhaps it has open railings or bridge deck, etc.

For those not in-the-know, the "Andy Warhol" bridge is the Seventh Street bridge.

That was one of my thoughts, as well... and I hope the cameras at that bridge are functional and are aimed to reveal a complete view (pedestrian and vehicle paths). Given that, LE would know by now if DJ approached the bridge that evening.

I am not saying he didn't cross the Warhol but I don't see why anyone would. It isn't like 1. The next bridge across is far. One block left or right would take you to another one. and 2. It wouldn't take him any closer to his apartment. Unless he was curious and thought it would be interesting to cross the closed bridge I just do not know why anyone would.

If he never made it to a bridge on foot, that changes the scope of possibilities to say the least. LE needs to let the family see the video from the T and any possible bridge sighting to be sure. I agree with you that they have to know by now if they were working and if they have a possible sighting.

For those not in-the-know, the "Andy Warhol" bridge is the Seventh Street bridge.

That was one of my thoughts, as well... and I hope the cameras at that bridge are functional and are aimed to reveal a complete view (pedestrian and vehicle paths). Given that, LE would know by now if DJ approached the bridge that evening.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/search-tea...-looking-for-missing-north-side-man/490995274

bbm

Pamela James, Dakota’s mother, told Channel 11’s Catherine Varnum about her frustrations with the way the search for her son has been handled.

“We are the ones walking these streets. We are the ones talking to patrons, business people trying to get permission to look at surveillance,” Pamela James said.

Detectives have reviewed hours of surveillance video from 16 cameras including the Port Authority, police said. River rescue has also conducted daily searches of the rivers.

The Pittsburgh police have not released any surveillance video and said,“The video is potentially evidence, and we do not need to identify anyone for the purpose of the investigation."

“I need proof that's my child. Someone show me a picture. Show me what you have. We need to see his face. You’re going on wild goose chases,” Pamela James said.

Re: "potentially evidence" and "no need to identify":

Yes, it could be "evidence" but I'm not buying that as an argument for not releasing video. LE has released video in the past during active investigations but it's likely LE means they have no need to identify anyone in the videos for this investigation so releasing them to the public would not further the investigation.

It still does not explain why LE would not at least show video to the family to 'prove' or otherwise set their mind solid that it is DJ who appears in the video.

The other possibility is LE does not want the family to see how intoxicated (not claiming this as fact, just a possibility) DJ might have been... to protect establishments or others from potential lawsuits? THIS IS SPECULATION ONLY.

[video=twitter;829024615011872769]https://twitter.com/ZackTanner/status/829024615011872769[/video] sincerely hope it isn't bad news...

This is the general location of the cadaver dog(s) scent hit:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10th Street Bypass - cadaver dogs hits.png
    10th Street Bypass - cadaver dogs hits.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 406
Read this blog entry for a 'wow' moment:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=6312409

[h=1]Dakota Leo James is still missing.[/h][h=3]Tuesday, February 07, 2017[/h]Today is Day 13 since my great nephew went missing. My husband, our son and his fiancee, went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania last Saturday and met with other people to search for Koty. Daily searches have been ongoing since he went missing.

As written by Shayne James (Dakota's brother)

Let us be clear: WE, THE FAMILY, found the bloodhounds to go search the river banks. WE, THE FAMILY, called the Allegheny Mountain Rescue Group to conduct searches. WE, THE FAMILY, contacted someone for aerial searches. And WE, THE FAMILY, reached out to the public and businesses for video surveillance and tips. The Police did not suggest any of this and put up roadblocks in order to get to these services. The last week and a half has been a string of unreturned calls and red tape. WE, THE FAMILY, turned out in droves to #finddakotajames because we are distraught and are determined to see him again. And we, the family, WILL become a relentless mob if the police to not answer their call to action. This investigation has been botched from the start. The time for police to step up is long overdue. DO YOUR JOB! And do NOT attempt to take credit for what this family, our friends, and our coworkers have done.

www.facebook.com/pamela.
james.754/videos/102100790
84346207/

I heard that they have drones out over the rivers looking for his body.

May God guide us to him so that the family can have closure.

Thank you! I missed her say cadaver dog. So that means he was deceased before he entered the river? Does this change the incident into a probable homicide, or someone covering up an accident?

Not necessarily.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/sar-dog2.htm

Cadaver - Dogs specifically search for the scent of human remains, detecting the smell of human decomposition gasses in addition to skin rafts. ... When a body is under water, skin particles and gases rise to the surface, so dogs can smell a body even when it's completely immersed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay