Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Statistically, males kill themselves in a violent manners

Males tend to higher first time completion rates than woman.\\\

Males and females also tend to differ in their methods of suicide and responses to suicidal feelings.

difference in suicide rates for males and females is partially a result of the methods

females attempt suicide at a higher rate, they are more likely to use methods that are less immediately lethal. Males frequently complete suicide via high mortality actions such as hanging, carbon-monoxide poisoning, and firearms

females, tend to rely on drug overdosing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_suicide

--By method Male

us_methods_of_suicide_2012.png

I'm truly not sure what happened to Dakota, but I am not convinced of the serial killer angle. I do believe it's possible that he met with foul play however. Personally I still lean more towards tragic accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I'm a Pittsburgh native and here is what concerns me about when/where they found Dakota's body. I want to compare it to Paul Kochu, who went missing on the South Side and was found three months later roughly 100 or so water miles away in the Ohio River in WV.

First I want to correct the person that said its two rivers. It is not. It is two rivers that meet together to create a third. Where the Allegheny and the Monongahela meet (at The Point), the rivers become the Ohio, which empties into the Mississippi. Anyway..

When they found Paul Kochu, the body was badly bloated and discolored so much so that they could not tell the race of the individual. Note the quote below from the article linked below where it says the body could have been in the water any where from ONE to three months.

[FONT=&quot]“They think the person came up from the north. The detective said the body was very bloated and discolored, so they weren’t sure if he was black or white,” said Jack in the report. “He had no clothes on, but they feel the current is so strong that they could have come off in the water. The detective said it appears the body had been in the water for anywhere from one to three months.”

[/FONT]
http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/news/region/body-found-along-ohio-river-could-be-linked-to-missing/article_ba466da0-e40d-55e0-b78b-1abd58b940e8.html

So, he was drunk, went in the water after being last seen in the South Side of the city. December. So, same general time of year, temperature, etc. He was found three months later about 100 water miles down the river. Bloated, discolored. They used dental records to identify. NAKED. They said the currents could have ripped his clothes off.

Dakota was found after being missing for six weeks, yet was only 10ish miles from where he was last seen. The woman that discovered the body said she saw and ear and knew it was Dakota. Now, note the quote on Paul Kochu saying that body could have been that discolored and bloated after only one month -- so now technically the same could be said for the condition of Dakota's body. If that was the case, if he was in the river for the last six weeks, how could that woman have recognized an ear and the fact that he had short hair? Would the body not have been in too bad of condition for her to see a white man's ear and short hair for her to have known it must be Dakota?

Why did one body travel 100 miles in 12 weeks while the other traveled only 10 miles in 6 weeks? Why was one man naked (LE suggested due to the strength of the current) and the other showed up fully clothed with wallet and cell phone still on his person? Why was one man so bloated and discolored that you couldn't tell his race or identify by sight while the other you could make out a caucasian ear?

To me it seems that its because Paul Kochu went in the river the night he disappeared and maybe Dakota did not?

AND if Dakota did die and go in the water that night, why couldn't the cadaver dogs track a scent that could only have been at most 10 miles away?

I have no idea what happened to Dakota...but I know it doesn't make sense.

I'm not a huge follower of the SFK theories, but that smiley face graffiti gives me pause. The number is 14. Nothing is too crazy to be true in this world anymore.
I have no good idea what may have happened to Dakota. I do think falling in while vomiting is more likely than going to the river specifically to pee in it. I've fallen on my face drunk a few times, I'm sure it has happened to someone while walking next to a river at some point.
But there ws a very good point made about the dam. I think an expert is the only one that could say for sure if this was a natural place for Dakota to end up.

Guys - I apologize for length and I feel terrible for derailing from DJ a bit. I realize this isn't the place to be discussing this much on another another person, but just wanted to point out that there are so many things that are not "just like Dakota". I've bolded, colored and underlined when I reply to CARIIS comments directly. Feel free to skip over this as it is more a response to CARIIS than developing any further to Dakota's case.

Listen, you can reason a million similarities amongst a million cases....especially if you're looking hard enough. I Can't say for sure that there is or isn't a link. What I can tell you though, is that if you look into the backstory a bit more - IMO there is reason to believe its possible this could be his own doing - Whether that own doing could be terminating his life or just disappearing.
As opposed to DJ who has no reason to and would never do such a thing - FROM WHAT WE'VE BEEN TOLD

Brad had been on benzos and other antidepressant/anxiety medication. Tapered off one just a couple months back and was tapering off another at the time of his disappearance. Brad is a very intelligent person, who has extensive knowledge of these medications.
Brad was last seen at a bar - similarity...BUT - he was alone, was texting back and forth with his sister about a pic (who didn't know he was at Troops), had 2 glasses of wine and left at 6:30 on a Tuesday. The bar - not a crazy bar...not in a bad section of town. (side thought though - seems an odd time if he worked at Dow, has time to come back local, make it to the bar and have 2 glasses in and by 6:30...and probs shouldn't be drinking on meds anyway)

Brad also had posted an eerie post regarding a friend who committed suicide back in August 2016 and admitted that he'd often wonder if he was to arrive at the same fate with his struggle. The friend was struggling with issues from coming off benzos.
In talking to someone who knows BV and his family, they said he was iffy in his mental state but that things seemed to be looking up for him....but they couldn't confidently say they thought he wouldn't have done something to himself. Did that come out right? More or less they would not be shocked if the outcome was suicide.

Obviously the family is devastated, but they're not giving off vibes that there's something crazy and down right wrong about all this. I assume perhaps there is a piece of them that realize all of these possibilities. There was a search party when he was first missing - covered river, river banks, trail, wooded area. They did put a pause on organized searches being open to the public for a bit and said the searches would be small and more concentrated (not sure what that was about). They have gone back to organizing one for this weekend...focusing on same type of areas and emphasized that they are looking for trained hikers and a few people on kayaks to search along the banks of the river and on the water.

When this is all said and done, could there be a link? Sure, why not. Could there be foul play but not connected to DJ? Again, sure.
At this point, everything is possible in both of these cases.
I just wouldn't spend pages of this forum hashing these two out side by side just yet.

Does this not sound a lot like Dakota ?

cont

WS got stuck

small - just like Dakota

petite - just like Dakota

short-cropped hair - just like Dakota - Different hairstyle IMO

innocent looking - just like Dakota

not profoundly manly looking - just like Dakota - I'll agree that BV is both innocent looking and not profoundly manly. In all honesty, I'd describe him as kind of dorky looking, and may question orientation based on looks alone (yes, shame on me). This guy does not look like he's pulling in the ladies. I disagree, I thought DJ was (again, ignorant as this sounds) a straight dude by appearance.

gainfully employed Dow Chemical - just like Dakota - Many people are
college educated - just like Dakota - Again, many people are

athletic hiking and mountain biking -just like Dakota - Sure, Brad hiked and stuff, but if you're going on your physical appearances thing, I wouldn't say BV looks uber athletic, not enough to fit a certain look. As you say above - not profoundly manly looking. I wouldn't consider myself athletic and I hike.

seen on video walking past his car - again heading somewhere other than home . - just like Dakota - This part is agreed on. So this is a point I'll have to go back and watch over again. I've watched the video of him paying tab, bathrooming and walking out the door. He does walk past a car, but I want to see again whether they say that particular car is his car. Whether that particular one is his or not, the direction he turns when leaving leads to the parking lot....but also leads to access down to a trail and the river....but he could also just walk down the road. The road is like literally just a few feet longer than a car length when you walk right out that door.

200 miles apart right down expressways 18 wheelers use a lot? speculating

2 out of the 40 concerning cases were charged as a murder - one of the two being overturned after initially tagged as accidental drowning as a result of cocktails.

http://www.adamquirk.me/blog/2017/2/26/update-2-more-smiley-face-murder-victims

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/kenhorst-man-reported-missing

This traint are from Brad Verret missing report. Only mo the similarities are striking. What would a difference be?

. Its even more scary in that it was only a little bit after Dakota , 200 miles apart, with a major interstate connecting the two locations - Interstates connect many places, man....it's what they do

IMO discussing situations that are similar to Dakota case. We are just discussing mysteries similar to Dakota, since the finding yesterday - which completes the similarity (found deceased in body of water, 24 hrs ago).

I think that is the reason why comparisons are emerging now.

Because him 1) being found on water, 2)deceased,
3) with cell phone
4) in area had been searched before .

That adds 4 new elements to the tragedy that mirror other situations. moo

Ok, I'm a Pittsburgh native and here is what concerns me about when/where they found Dakota's body. I want to compare it to Paul Kochu, who went missing on the South Side and was found three months later roughly 100 or so water miles away in the Ohio River in WV.

First I want to correct the person that said its two rivers. It is not. It is two rivers that meet together to create a third. Where the Allegheny and the Monongahela meet (at The Point), the rivers become the Ohio, which empties into the Mississippi. Anyway..

There are three different names but other than that it is like every other confluence. Imagine if the Mississippi got a new name where it meets the Missouri or Ohio, for instance. That's all.

It can be confusing to people unfamiliar with Pittsburgh who are trying to visualize three different/separate rivers.

bbm and paragraphs spaced for clarity

Suicide...that keeps rearing it's ugly head. It's so easy to dismiss these cases as suicide or accidental by means of peeing.

Think about where he was found. I went there. It's industrial with a few homes, mostly trailers and campers sparsely spread around. This body of water is a channel of the Ohio River. We spoke to many people, including businesses along that route. ALL said they do not believe he just floated there. Their reasoning?

1) if he was in the Ohio this entire time he would have most likely been found in the main body of water on the other side of the island, not in the channel.

2) if he came from the Ohio River into the channel he would have encountered the dam. Going over that dam would have caused serious external damage to the body. The police said there was none. They said his clothes were intacted.

3) where he was found was nowhere close to where he supposedly went in the water. Given the temps and current he shouldn't have made it that far...yet.

4) there is a place right up the street from where DJ was found that is secluded, under a bridge, right past the dam that a body could be placed in the water and sent down stream.

This place... I have to say it's a creepy kind of place and you can tell it's a place were not so good things may occur...that last line is strictly my opinion. Yes, there was a smiley face that was more freshly painted than the other graffiti, but to say it's related is again me speculating, nothing more.

Now before some of you start throwing me to the websleuth wolves, please note that these are comments from the folks living and working there and it does merit discussion rather than dismissal.

IMO let's get off the urination theory. We've beat that one to pieces.
Accidental by other means or suicide? Not if you are buying into the above points from the locals in that area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For those not in-the-know: DJ's body was found in the "back channel", the flow of water that runs along the southern border of Neville Island. The flow of water that runs along the northern border of Neville Island is the "main channel".

re: "he would have most likely been found on the other side of the island, not in the channel"

Which facts support that assertion? Water flows on either side of the island. A few variables come in to play regarding which path the body could take, such as water depth, flow rate, surface and at-depth currents, water temperatures, body size and condition (RM), clothing, sediment, bank geometry, debris, snag points, depression traps, etc. It is near-impossible to simply claim with assertion a "most likely" path in that river without incorporating a study of all those variables based on data relevant to the time period in question (from missing to discovery).

re: "going over the dam would have caused serious external damage to the body"

Actually, a body could quite easily flow through an Emsworth dam gate with little to no damage, especially in high flow. High river water would create a buffer of water between a body and the dam ledge. There are five 105'-long gates on the back channel dam. The gates open in an upward direction up to a maximum of forty feet. The attached image shows a side-view of a gate closed and a gate open. A body flowing through an open gate simply would drop-flow with the water.
attachment.php

With higher temperatures a body is more likely to rise in and move farther in water since higher temperatures accelerate decomposition; decomposition is what causes a body to rise and eventually surface due to gases released in the decomp process.

River depths and temperatures have been relatively high on various days through the time period in question (from missing to discovery). We've had snow-melt runoff, rains and higher-than-normal temperatures.

Attachments

• emsworth dam.png
    emsworth dam.png
    90 KB · Views: 183
I take it the picture I just saw was removed. Very creepy.

DJ's mother has repeatedly stated that DJ was not as intoxicated as what is being claimed (they watched the surveillence video of him). And according to DJ's co-worker, they were served that night and she has the receipt to prove it. These statements can be found on DJ's mother's Facebook page.

When they found Paul Kochu, the body was badly bloated and discolored so much so that they could not tell the race of the individual. Note the quote below from the article linked below where it says the body could have been in the water any where from ONE to three months.

[FONT=&amp]“They think the person came up from the north. The detective said the body was very bloated and discolored, so they weren’t sure if he was black or white,” said Jack in the report. “He had no clothes on, but they feel the current is so strong that they could have come off in the water. The detective said it appears the body had been in the water for anywhere from one to three months.”

[/FONT]
http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/news/region/body-found-along-ohio-river-could-be-linked-to-missing/article_ba466da0-e40d-55e0-b78b-1abd58b940e8.html

So, he was drunk, went in the water after being last seen in the South Side of the city. December. So, same general time of year, temperature, etc. He was found three months later about 100 water miles down the river. Bloated, discolored. They used dental records to identify. NAKED. They said the currents could have ripped his clothes off.

Dakota was found after being missing for six weeks, yet was only 10ish miles from where he was last seen. The woman that discovered the body said she saw and ear and knew it was Dakota. Now, note the quote on Paul Kochu saying that body could have been that discolored and bloated after only one month -- so now technically the same could be said for the condition of Dakota's body. If that was the case, if he was in the river for the last six weeks, how could that woman have recognized an ear and the fact that he had short hair? Would the body not have been in too bad of condition for her to see a white man's ear and short hair for her to have known it must be Dakota?

Why did one body travel 100 miles in 12 weeks while the other traveled only 10 miles in 6 weeks? Why was one man naked (LE suggested due to the strength of the current) and the other showed up fully clothed with wallet and cell phone still on his person? Why was one man so bloated and discolored that you couldn't tell his race or identify by sight while the other you could make out a caucasian ear?

To me it seems that its because Paul Kochu went in the river the night he disappeared and maybe Dakota did not?

AND if Dakota did die and go in the water that night, why couldn't the cadaver dogs track a scent that could only have been at most 10 miles away?

I have no idea what happened to Dakota...but I know it doesn't make sense.

Just a thought - would the amount of barge traffic on the river or the amount of ice traveling as it breaks free affect currents enough to make body travel greater distance?

DJ's mother has repeatedly stated that DJ was not as intoxicated as what is being claimed (they watched the surveillence video of him). And according to DJ's co-worker, they were served that night and she has the receipt to prove it. These statements can be found on DJ's mother's Facebook page.

But that doesn't mean they weren't asked to leave because they were too intoxicated. You can be served, and then after awhile are asked to leave and pay up because you've had too much.

But that doesn't mean they weren't asked to leave because they were too intoxicated. You can be served, and then after awhile are asked to leave and pay up because you've had too much.
I think sometimes parents have blinders on about their kids, even adult kids.

And not all people look falling-down drunk even when they are intoxicated. I used to know two people who were drunk most times when I talked to them, but I had no idea.

SomeoneElse333 - Then how did you know they were drunk most times if you had no idea? Just asking.

This angle is so convoluted.

Cops have them them in their from 1027 1031. ( long presser)

Mom says she has a receipt.

It was a week night. Probably slow. It is possible they walked in ordered a drink, bartender cut em off gave em the boot and they left.

Mom also stated they were there longer. Mom should just release the receipt to clear this up.

moo

I have tried to find it. There is an actual printed transcription of the long presser.

If anyone has a link would ya pls post link - there is some stuff IIFC I wanna ask you folks about TIA!

SomeoneElse333 - Then how did you know they were drunk most times if you had no idea? Just asking.

In the one case, the spouse told me. The other one was a friend of a friend that I'd see once a year or so. Several times, I watched the transformation from somber and difficult to engage (sober) to happy and chatty (drunk).

moo.. I think this want to wait for long time is a stall, for the story to die out in the media.

Political dancing- casue media followed mom concerns regarding discrpencies.

There is no real concrete relationship between tox screen and questions we all have regarding how long he had been in water.

A reasonably accurate estimation of that would have been possible once they got him on dry land, visually.

Degree of bloating, color of coarpse, temp, etc etc do not come from a tox screen.

Other than political there is no reason for them not to report estimated time in water, condition of cell phone and possiblity of it having forenic value in the future.

Now that we have a body it would seem prudent to release the entie video sequencce - not the still. Maybe in the video he does not appear bombed out of his mind.

WHy dance ? Maybe cause immersion duration was def shorter than a month and a half?

AUtopsy would clearly answer the question if there was evidence of drwoning (water in lungs) or not. A drug screen has no releavance on that angle either- despite , at this point the most important entity is entry in the water.

THey can till the diff between two and six weeks -- easy IMO

Maybe cell just needed the drying the tech and is workable and they found out concrete stuff ?

It seems one could tell some time related issues based on clothing at time of discovery.

I think we all know that a good shock of cold air can be somewhat refreshing.

In terms of determing BAL , that toss is not all that accurate at this point. . The body produced ethanal during decomp. So they are gonna skewed numbers no matter what.

We really dont know which drugs never will show up in a tox screen. Look at how helpful that super dooper tox stuff was with Austin . Useless answered nothing.

An under lying medical event , (heart attack etc ) would be a rule in or rule out from the autoposy, the drug screen answers nothing as far as this angle goes.

The stunning thing about JOey, after discovery , was that there was not water in the lungs. How after that discovery it was not labeled homicide defies logic of any kind. Dead bodies do not make it to rivers alone. Just how it works, unless one beleives in the paranormal!

What is the purpose of doing autopsies in this kind of sitution if after one, which for Joey, indicated dead before being tossed in the water?

JOey is still undetmined or whatever.

Silly silly

I think , and have since the long presser, a lot of CYA going on here.

moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back