Found Deceased PA - Dana Kristine Smithers, 45, Stroudsburg, 28 May 2022 *found in 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It seems so quiet. Maybe no one wants to say anything.

Are searches going on?

Is there anything in the local news we are missing?

Anything from the neighbors? The daughter’s father? The mother or anyone else in the house?

Who was the last person to see Dana?

I always have a high level of frustration when there is an announcement that someone is missing, and then a complete vacuum of information necessary to help find them. We really need a law in PA that forces an investigation and public sharing of information that would not impact a criminal investigation (should there be a need for one) unless it is clear that someone walked away on their own accord. The "assumption" that an adult walked away from their life is utter nonsense. I understand that local LE sometimes do not have the resources. It should then transition to State Police who have more reach and resources. Now that I am retired and have the time, I really need to meet with my State Rep and start pushing this.

It seems so quiet. Maybe no one wants to say anything.

Are searches going on?

Is there anything in the local news we are missing?

Anything from the neighbors? The daughter’s father? The mother or anyone else in the house?

Who was the last person to see Dana?
had a good look through the son and sisters pages (can be found from the first post in the thread), they don't appear to know anything more than they did at the start sadly.

There's a vigil for Dana tonight.

JUN 28, 2022
On Tuesday, June 28, the Christian Life Assembly Church will hold a candlelight prayer vigil from 6 PM to 7 PM. Smithers has been missing from her home in the Stroudsburg Borough since Saturday, May 28.

[...]

The Stroud Area Regional Police Department continues to ask for the public's assistance ... The investigation into this case has not revealed any information on the whereabouts of Ms. Smithers or indicated that any crime was committed.

[...]

I really think that family and friends need to do searches and cause a stink. That is the only way this will get any movement. They can't just rely on LE. They need to make noise. IMO
You are so right @swanniee11! The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

As the search for answers in her disappearance continues, loved ones are staying hopeful and turning to prayer.

One woman says “If we can just pray hard enough, maybe she’ll come home.”

Speeches and prayers echoed outside Christian Life Assembly Church in Stroudsburg Tuesday night.

Dozens of people attended the prayer vigil for 45-year-old Dana Smithers who has been missing for a month now.

Breanne Furino, Dana’s daughter-in-law spoke at the vigil. “It’s just overwhelming seeing all these people that are here in support. People that knew dana in passing, and people that were close family of Dana. It’s very heartfelt and heartwarming.”

Smithers was last seen in surveillance video leaving a friend’s house on Stokes Avenue on May 28 around 11 pm.

Her daughter-in-law says it’s unlike her to disappear.

“We’re just hoping we get some answers, or she comes home, or we get pointed in some direction,” says Furino.

This article says that she returned from the festival with her daughter and her daughter's father. This is the first mention I have seen of her daughter's father. I wonder how long he stayed after they returned home, and if he had left before she made the short visit to the neighbor.
“She has three children. She has a young daughter. She's six. She has a 26-year-old son and a 23 year-old-daughter," said Furino. She added that Smithers was never been separated long from her family. She was last heard from on the night of May 28th after returning home from Happy Hour festival in Stroudsburg with her daughter and her daughter’s father," said Furino.

So what was Dana's relationship like with her child's father?

I looked for a custody case, nothing in Monroe County - https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch
One minor case from 2016 still open.

The big issue to me is that she left her friends house with a cell phone (on camera) and that phone was located at her home. She made it home. Someone in that house knows something or she left after getting home. I keep thinking there are more then 1 doorbell video's in that area to see if she left and with whom? I am so disappointed in this search/case. IMO

The big issue to me is that she left her friends house with a cell phone (on camera) and that phone was located at her home. She made it home. Someone in that house knows something or she left after getting home. I keep thinking there are more then 1 doorbell video's in that area to see if she left and with whom? I am so disappointed in this search/case. IMO
I thought the same about cameras, but if it was only three houses away that's a shortt distance. But what if someone picked her up later? Did they look for ring footage of cars coming and going from the neighborhood that night?

It feels as if there must be more known to LE than the public or her family. Or… honestly maybe even her family knows more than they’re able to say- the lack of media and public searches feels like there’s more to this story.
I know it was reported that some friends and family wanted to do a search but does LE reason for stopping them seem a bit odd to anyone else? Not odd, maybe, just a little out of the ordinary, I suppose.

There is a chance that LE is not allowing searches as some volunteer searches turn into a legal quagmire when the searchers invade private property without permission or even demand entrance into buildings and outbuildings with no legal authority. That's why it is critical for volunteer search teams to have an experienced leader with search management training. LE may also be concerned that there is evidence that could be contaminated by untrained searchers. To a degree, LE should be a bit more transparent as to the reasons they are not allowing searches, HOWEVER...and I need to tread lightly, it is not illegal for any private citizen to walk about on public property, sidewalks and roads, noting anything they see that could be related to the case as long as they do not touch or disturb it and notify LE of what they have discovered WITHOUT going on private property without permission. Hope I was VERY clear about that.

Were there cameras at any of the places at the Happy Hour Festival? Did she eat or drink anything while she was there?

There’s no information about Dana.

Nothing.

What about where she worked? Anything from her coworkers? (She’s only 45 - 20 years from retirement age, she’s supporting herself somehow) JMO
Does she have a favorite place or spot in the community? What places did she frequent?
Any quirks? Habits?

Last edited:
MOD NOTE:

Please remember that other than social media accounts for MSM, LE, or WS approved support groups, Websleuths does not allow discussion of social media accounts.
Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csiapril77
Back