PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since she was one of the beneficiaries, here is PEF's timeline for 4/15.

Patty Fornicola’s (PEF) Timeline 4/15/05

All times are on 4/15/05; times are approximate.

8:30 AM PEF arrives at work.

11:12 AM PEF receives the call from RFG.

c. 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM PEF at lunch.

c. 4:40 PM Returns home

c. 5:20 PM Goes to gym (possibly the YMCA)

6:58 PM PEF calls RFG's cell phone from the house phone

c. 8:00 PM PEF calls her brother. Asks if he thinks it is normal for RFG not to respond.

8:33 PM- 11:05 PM PEF keeps calling the cell phone. (8:33 PM, 8:54 PM, 9:57 PM, 11:05 PM)

11:36 PM Calls Bellefonte Police.

Two additional calls to cell phone from the house at 1:48 AM and at 8:24 AM on 4/16/05.

Updated timeline (as always, subject to change based on new evidence):

Thursday, 4/14/05

8:00 AM: Ray F. Gricar (RFG) attends a Prison Board Meeting in the Willow Bank Building. Minutes show a routine meeting, that dealt with an employee grievance (union thing). Meeting ended at 8:45 AM, though there may have a closed session to deal with the grievance.

Participants noted that RFG seemed to mumble answers to questions and was looking out the window. Uncharacteristic, but consistent with other reports since at least 3/8/05.

c. 10:30-11:00 AM RFG spotted near a boat launch at Lake Raystown, by a "doctor" who knew him.

10:52 PM Daughter Lara Gricar (LG) called RFG briefly. She would call him several times a week to check in with him. She has indicated she just called to tell him she loved him. (She called the house phone several minutes before.)

Before 5:00 PM RFG exchanged some e-mail with then defense attorney Stacy Parks Miller (SPM), regarding a case. He was joking around with her.

2:00-4:00 PM Then ADA J. Karen Arnold (JKA) heard what she described as "forcefully closing" the door to RFG's office. She noted that that when he was stressed, he had a habit of closing his door in such a manner, if "busy or preoccupied."

c. 5:30-6:00 PM RFG and live in girlfriend (and coworker) Patty Fornicola (PEF) seen walking in Tallyrand Park, by former County Commissioner Vicky Wedler (who often opposed Gricar when she served). She described Gricar as looking "depressed." She commented to both of them that they looked like "a perfect couple." RFG and PEF continued walking and after another turn around the park left.

6:21 PM RFG on security video entering the rear entrance of the Courthouse. He was driving the red Mini Cooper, and was not carrying the laptop. He was wearing the fleece.

9:03 PM RFG seen exiting the Courthouse and driving off in his car. He was not carrying the laptop. One source makes it 8:03 PM.

NB: The most direct route to Lake Raystown is about 55 miles. RFG could have left Bellefonte at 9:00 AM and arrived the by 10:30 AM. He was also known to exceed the speed limit and as being an "adventurous driver."

Friday, 4/15/05

6:00-8:15 AM: RFG gets up, but tells PEF he is going to "play hooky." PEF gets ready for work, leaves RFG a note stating to call her if he cannot let the dog, Honey, out. RFG asleep when she goes to work.

10:31 AM: Contractor, calls house and speaks to RFG about some repairs to the house.

11:00-11:30 AM: Lawyer sees RFG driving on Route 144 driving toward Centre Hall.

11:12 AM: RFG calls Courthouse (through the switchboard) and is connected to his office. PEF, covering the phone for another clerical worker, answers. RFG sounds a bit startled, according to PEF. RFG says he is one Route 192, heading toward Lewisburg, and cannot let Honey out.

11:30-11:35: County worker sees RFG turning from Route 144 on to Route 192. He was driving very fast.

Noon to 1:00 PM, time given as "lunch time," 12:15-3:30 PM Employee at the Packwood House Museum (Ms. Snyder), and at least two other people saw RFG park the Mini across the street (Water Street). He got out and sat on a park bench. He appeared to carrying something.

c. 3:00 PM Carolyn Fenton (then clerking for Judge David Grine) reported seeing RFG in a "metallic colored car" behind the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte. Judge Grine also remembers seeing RFG there, but cannot remember if it was on 4/14 or 4/15.

As previously noted, the area is covered by security cameras. Gricar did not show up on the tape (though Fenton did). It is possible that RFG was not at the spot where Fenton remembers him, but was along the street, out of camera range.

4:00-5:00 PM Donald Houser heading south on Route 15 sees RFG pull in beside him at a traffic light near the Country Cupboard. (This is "McKnight's Witness.") Houser, who was active in Republican politics in the area, recognized RFG at the time.

5:30-6:30 PM At least two people see RFG moving the Mini in the parking lot across from the Street of Shops (SoS) in Lewisburg.

6:00-8:00 PM Store owner in the SoS, Brad Alvey, reported seeing RFG. At least two witnesses report seeing RFG in the SoS with the "Mystery Woman." That may or may not include Alvey.

11:36 PM PEF calls the Bellefonte Police Department (BPD), after repeated efforts to call RFG's cell phone go unanswered.

Saturday, 4/16/05

12:21 PM BPD calls RFG’s cell and leave messages of his voicemail.
After consulting with then BPD Chief Duane Dixon, BPD issued a BOLA on the Mini and RFG

Before Noon BPD starts calling RFG's associates. JKA called by then BPD Detective Darrel Zaccagni (DZ) between 11:00-11:30 AM. When she said that RFG was "distraught" earlier in the week, he said, "Everyone is telling me the same thing."

Then ADA Steven Sloane (SPS), and a close friend, also contacted. He suggested that RFG could have driven to Cleveland to see the Indians, as he had once before. BPD confirmed this with RFG's second ex-wife, Emma Gricar (EG). BPD did contact Jacobs Field to see if the Mini could be spotted.

PEF called LG to tell her about the situation. Sometime before 2:00 PM RFG's nephews Tony (TG) and Chris (CG) contacted and drive from Ohio toward Bellefonte.

11:00-Noon Two workers at the Remember When restaurant, inside the SoS,
remember seeing RFG there.

11:30 AM Craig Bennett, owner of the SoS, saw him in the SoS. He characterized him as "He looked anxious. He was not a relaxed person. He was waiting for someone."

1:30 PM Witness spotted RFG in Lewisburg. Police ruled it a false sighting.

Afternoon, before 5:00 PM Police begin aerial searches of 192 between Centre Hall and Lewisburg. They got RFG's cell phone data from the call to PEF and got access to his office computer.

5:00 PM BPD holds a news conference. By at least the 11:00 PM news, the story was out, within the Central Pennsylvania Media Market. (Lewisburg is not in the Central Pennsylvania Media Market.)

A Centre Daily Times (CDT) reporter called RFG's cell phone and gets his voice mail.

6:30 PM Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) trooper spots the Mini in the parking lot across from the SoS; the trooper was just about to end his shift and heading back to his barracks in Milton.

In route, TG contacted and diverts to Lewisburg.

Police converge on the parking lot. The Mini was locked, but when it opened the was a smell of cigarette smoke. RFG's cell is inside and turned off.

Media also arrives, by the time TG arrives there is at least one news van there.

Prior to 10:30 PM, the first witness reports to LE that he saw RFG there with the "Mystery Woman" either that day or 4/15/05. Craig Bennett also tell so seeing RFG that morning.

10:45 PM The first news story on the disappearance is posted on the Internet.

(I have heard of addition witnesses seeing RFG in Lewisburg on this date, possibly more that on 4/15.)

Sunday, 4/17/05

I know of no sightings of RFG on this day. LG had arrived late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.
New stories had appeared on the Internet and on CNN, but were not yet in local media.

c. 12:30 PM JKA arrived in Lewisburg. LE was awaiting the blood hound.

JKA stated that the theory of LE was with a woman. It was later revealed that they thought it was Barbara Petito, an old girlfriend, smoker and who had longish dark hair. She also matched the age of the MW. Petito now lived in Harrisburg and was working for the Office of the Attorney General (OAG), as a spokesperson. She had seen RFG at a press conference within the last 3 weeks.

Sometime during that day, or Monday, Petito was contacted. She was on Long Island that weekend.

JKA left after being their briefly.

1:00 PM-7:00 PM The bloodhound detected RFG's scent, but not beyond the parking lot. An air search was done of the river to Harrisburg. Mini was released to PEF, who actually owned the Mini.

c. 7:30 PM LE came to PEF's house to get RFG's computer. PEF volunteered that RFG had a laptop, though it wasn't always used. When she checked the case, it was gone.

I apologize in advance for likely asking questions that have long been asked and answered, but I can't remember so much!

It sounds the mini was released quite quickly to PEF. Was it processed completely first?

Also, I wonder why he was driving a vehicle owned by PEF? Was he sheltering money with respect to the divorce? If so, perhaps there was more sheltered somewhere, as J.J. states above. Perhaps a lot more.

I apologize in advance for likely asking questions that have long been asked and answered, but I can't remember so much!

It sounds the mini was released quite quickly to PEF. Was it processed completely first?

Also, I wonder why he was driving a vehicle owned by PEF? Was he sheltering money with respect to the divorce? If so, perhaps there was more sheltered somewhere, as J.J. states above. Perhaps a lot more.
Yes, it was processed. PEF got it back sometime 4/17. The paperwork on it is on RK's site, but you have to pay for it.

RFG put it in PEF's name, stating that it was in case he was sued (which made no sense). He drove it almost exclusively and she had her own car.

Saturday, 4/16/05

12:21 PM BPD calls RFG’s cell and leave messages of his voicemail.
After consulting with then BPD Chief Duane Dixon, BPD issued a BOLA on the Mini and RFG

Before Noon BPD starts calling RFG's associates. JKA called by then BPD Detective Darrel Zaccagni (DZ) between 11:00-11:30 AM. When she said that RFG was "distraught" earlier in the week, he said, "Everyone is telling me the same thing."

Then ADA Steven Sloane (SPS), and a close friend, also contacted. He suggested that RFG could have driven to Cleveland to see the Indians, as he had once before. BPD confirmed this with RFG's second ex-wife, Emma Gricar (EG). BPD did contact Jacobs Field to see if the Mini could be spotted.

PEF called LG to tell her about the situation. Sometime before 2:00 PM RFG's nephews Tony (TG) and Chris (CG) contacted and drive from Ohio toward Bellefonte.

11:00-Noon Two workers at the Remember When restaurant, inside the SoS,
remember seeing RFG there.

11:30 AM Craig Bennett, owner of the SoS, saw him in the SoS. He characterized him as "He looked anxious. He was not a relaxed person. He was waiting for someone."

1:30 PM Witness spotted RFG in Lewisburg. Police ruled it a false sighting.

Afternoon, before 5:00 PM Police begin aerial searches of 192 between Centre Hall and Lewisburg. They got RFG's cell phone data from the call to PEF and got access to his office computer.

5:00 PM BPD holds a news conference. By at least the 11:00 PM news, the story was out, within the Central Pennsylvania Media Market. (Lewisburg is not in the Central Pennsylvania Media Market.)

A Centre Daily Times (CDT) reporter called RFG's cell phone and gets his voice mail.

6:30 PM Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) trooper spots the Mini in the parking lot across from the SoS; the trooper was just about to end his shift and heading back to his barracks in Milton.

In route, TG contacted and diverts to Lewisburg.

Police converge on the parking lot. The Mini was locked, but when it opened the was a smell of cigarette smoke. RFG's cell is inside and turned off.

Media also arrives, by the time TG arrives there is at least one news van there.

Prior to 10:30 PM, the first witness reports to LE that he saw RFG there with the "Mystery Woman" either that day or 4/15/05. Craig Bennett also tell so seeing RFG that morning.

10:45 PM The first news story on the disappearance is posted on the Internet.

(I have heard of addition witnesses seeing RFG in Lewisburg on this date, possibly more that on 4/15.)

I'm assuming these reports from a co-worker that Ray was "distraught" came after he went missing.

Why would only that person report this, when his partner didn't see that in his behavior? How long after Ray's disappearance did these people report seeing him "distraught"? Days, a week, a month?

I also think the guy who thought he saw Ray driving to the courthouse when he'd recently been seen 2 hrs away in Lewisburg is just a mistake. No one can drive that quickly and it seems unlikely he knew anyone with a private jet.

Re Ray intentionally disappearing after going to Lewisburg: If that's the story, why did he sleep in that morning then suddenly leave for Lewisburg, driving very fast? Why would he then spend a couple of hours or more wandering around Lewisburg, in plain sight before making his "escape"? Why would he do all that, then dump his laptop and some hard drive (not verified to be the one from his laptop) in the river next to the town he spent hours wandering around, when he could have taken it all with him, wherever he was going, and dispose of it where no one from PA would think to look?

Yes, it was processed by LE. It was said to have been completely wiped down inside, with only one clear fingerprint on a water bottle in the car. It was Ray's.

If Ray voluntarily disappeared or committed suicide, why would he bother to remove any trace of his fingerprints, etc. before abandoning his car?

Yes, it was processed by LE. It was said to have been completely wiped down inside, with only one clear fingerprint on a water bottle in the car. It was Ray's.

If Ray voluntarily disappeared or committed suicide, why would he bother to remove any trace of his fingerprints, etc. before abandoning his car?
They never indicated that it was wiped, only that there were not enough ridges to read.

That could be caused by him moving his hands while driving or even the surfaces not being conducive to prints.

How weird is it that she called her brother to ask him if it was normal for Ray to not answer his phone..??
wouldn't she know ? could she have called him for some other reason? I still have so many questions..
where did she go for lunch? who is the contractor? is he known to PF's family...? I just see small spaces where questions fit in..mOO

How weird is it that she called her brother to ask him if it was normal for Ray to not answer his phone..??
wouldn't she know ? could she have called him for some other reason? I still have so many questions..
where did she go for lunch? who is the contractor? is he known to PF's family...? I just see small spaces where questions fit in..mOO
I did not find it unusual that she might want a male perspective; I have female friends do that with me. The contractor Joseph C Hazel, Inc. Her uncle was the Mayor of Bellefonte and then the County Treasurer; every body in Bellefonte knew the family.

I'm assuming these reports from a co-worker that Ray was "distraught" came after he went missing.

Why would only that person report this, when his partner didn't see that in his behavior? How long after Ray's disappearance did these people report seeing him "distraught"? Days, a week, a month?

I also think the guy who thought he saw Ray driving to the courthouse when he'd recently been seen 2 hrs away in Lewisburg is just a mistake. No one can drive that quickly and it seems unlikely he knew anyone with a private jet.

Re Ray intentionally disappearing after going to Lewisburg: If that's the story, why did he sleep in that morning then suddenly leave for Lewisburg, driving very fast? Why would he then spend a couple of hours or more wandering around Lewisburg, in plain sight before making his "escape"? Why would he do all that, then dump his laptop and some hard drive (not verified to be the one from his laptop) in the river next to the town he spent hours wandering around, when he could have taken it all with him, wherever he was going, and dispose of it where no one from PA would think to look?
Well, I'm not suggesting any story with these; I'm just laying out the reports. According to JKA and the people at the PBM, they noticed it prior to the disappearance.

RFG was noted for being an "adventurous driver." He was stopped by the PSP for driving 70 MPH on the Benner Pike.

Well, I'm not suggesting any story with these; I'm just laying out the reports. According to JKA and the people at the PBM, they noticed it prior to the disappearance.

RFG was noted for being an "adventurous driver." He was stopped by the PSP for driving 70 MPH on the Benner Pike.

Apologies, please refresh my memory, what was PBM? TIA.

I understand, your timeline is helpful. I'm just picking out the evidence that, JMO, doesn't fit the theory of Ray running away or committing suicide.

Apologies, please refresh my memory, what was PBM? TIA.

I understand, your timeline is helpful. I'm just picking out the evidence that, JMO, doesn't fit the theory of Ray running away or committing suicide.
Prison Board Meeting. It is on two timelines. :)

Driving fast could point to either suicide or walkaway, i.e. one last drive in a car he loved at a speed he loved.

J. J. in Phila...thank you for the details/timelines...
Question...RG stating he was playing hooky..Was this a time to time type of thing he would do or out of character?
The computer searches are very interesting IMO....then it's found "dumped."

J. J. in Phila...thank you for the details/timelines...
Question...RG stating he was playing hooky..Was this a time to time type of thing he would do or out of character?
The computer searches are very interesting IMO....then it's found "dumped."
I was not too usual, but keep in mind that he was the boss and he did work at night.

I wonder what “distraught” means in this context. To me, it means a condition bad enough that people might inquire about it: “Ray, are you okay?” “What’s going on. Can I help?”, etc.

Maybe though, I think of it as a stronger word than others do. I just think if I was what I consider to be “distraught”, any acquaintance or friend would inquire.

I wonder what “distraught” means in this context. To me, it means a condition bad enough that people might inquire about it: “Ray, are you okay?” “What’s going on. Can I help?”, etc.

Maybe though, I think of it as a stronger word than others do. I just think if I was what I consider to be “distraught”, any acquaintance or friend would inquire.

Well, that is how JKA characterized it. She also mentioned RFG's forceful door closings.

His actions at the PBM were described as "mumbling answers," "staring out the window," and being the physically, but not mentally.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AliceSprings
Back