Deceased/Not Found PA - Elizabeth “Beth” Capaldi, 55, last seen by husband, phone & car left behind, Sellersville, Bucks Co, 10 Oct 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
TRANSCRIPT OF PRESS CONFERENCE

15TH. DECEMBER.

DA - I'm here to report that the Beth Capaldi missing person case has now been charged as a homicide. First, I'd like to give you a timeline of important events. On Oct. 10th of this year, 57 yr. old, Stephen Capaldi, murdered his wife of 30 yrs., 55 yr. old, Elizabeth 'Beth' Capaldi, in their Sellersville home. On the 11th., the next day, he dismembered her. On the 12th., Beth Capaldi was reported missing by her daughter after her family, uncharacteristically, hadn't heard from her for two days. That same day, our investigation began. Also, on that same day, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, who is now charged with his wife's murder, disposed of her partial remains in a dumpster in Montgomery County. On Nov. 5th., Stephen Capaldi buried part of the victim's remains along the Delaware River shoreline at Hog Island in Tinicum in Delaware County. On Dec. 8th., the defendant appeared before the Bucks County investigating grand jury. He testified. He took a polygraph and he was then interviewed by us. As part of a counselled proffer agreement, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, was arrested, charged and arraigned for murdering his wife, Beth Capaldi, and for offences related to its cover up. The defendant is in Bucks County Prison on a no bail status for his murder of his wife. It is anticipated, by me, that he will plead guilty to these offences and be sentenced to 20-40 years in prison. The earliest that he will be eligible for parole, under the terms of this agreement, will be when he is 77 yrs. old.

On Dec. 9th, the defendant was transported by law enforcement, some of which you see arrayed behind me here, to the Hog Island burial site, where he led law enforcement, voluntarily, to where he believed he had buried his wife's remains. Pennsylvania State Police Trooper, Joe Carlston and his K9 cadaver dog, Jack, were there to help locate Capaldi's remains and, in fact, did so. Delaware County Detectives and Tinicum Township Police Department were also mobilised with very little notice, on many occasions, to assist in this recovery. Because this was of paramount importance, not only to us, but as you can imagine, to Beth Capaldi's family. On Dec. 12th., (??) Township Police Department, at our request, used rapid hits DNA testing of the recovered remains to identify Beth Capaldi and conclusively indicate that the remains that we found at that Hog Island site were hers.

I'd like to give additional thanks. This resolution, which is very, very swift in an unsolved murder case, was only possible after extensive law enforcement investigation, multijurisdictional cooperation and the utilisation of state-of-the-art investigative techniques. I would be remiss if I didn't give special thanks to the Bucks County Grand Jury, who is comprised of Bucks County's own citizens. They took testimony in this case, which put extreme pressure on the defendant. Thus, making it the viable homicide prosecution that it became and that it is currently today. I'd like to particularly recognise Bucks County analyst TC, who works out of the regional computer forensic lab. He downloaded the phones that were used in this case and discovered key evidence that we would have missed on our own equipment, as sophisticated as it may be, and I daresay without his help, the defendant might not be in custody for his wife's murder today.

I think it's very important to everybody to understand the principles and the goals that I considered in support of my negotiations with the defendant. Anytime that we undertake a negotiation of this magnitude, in which, literally, lives are at stake, the buck stops here. I want you all to understand that I did so while having engaged with Beth Capaldi's family. And, they are understanding and accepting of the agreement that we've made in this case. In speaking on their behalf, they'd first like to let everybody know, all the members of the public that they give thanks to you all, for your never ending support, from the minute that we reported Beth Capaldi's missing status on Oct. 26th., until today and, I'm sure, ongoing throughout this process. But, second, Beth Capaldi's family does not wish to make any public comment and wish to mourn privately, and would really appreciate it if you would respect their wishes.

The principles and goals that I focused on, in making this negotiation, with the defendant - First was to find Beth Capaldi alive, if possible. If you recall, on Oct. 26th., I said that we hold on to hope as long as there's room for hope. Sadly, and I am so sorry that this was not possible in this case. Her family and I and every member of law enforcement who are right here and all that participated in this recovery were devastated by this news. This goes without saying, but I think it's important for the public to understand that if I had some magic time machine and I could turn back the clock to prior to Beth Capaldi's murder, I would do so every time, but that's just not how our universe works. So secondly, and this is always second - To bring Beth Capaldi back to her family and to bring her killer to justice. We continue, to this day, for our job is not over, to pursue both of these goals. We will continue with our investigation and yes to look for Beth Capaldi's remains until it is no longer feasible to do so. But, this negotiated resolution will now allow Beth Capaldi's family to grieve on their own terms, knowing that we did all we could do to find her and, ultimately, to bring her home and free of the whims and the timing of the criminal justice system and the endless appeals that it affords its defendants. In a word, closure. Hopefully soon, Beth Capaldi will rest in peace and her family can find peace as well. That's all that I have to say in my remarks. I'm guessing you have questions and I will try to answer them if I can.

Reporter - The motives that I've been hearing is that Stephen had a woman that he was having an affair with. I'm wondering if you guys' are looking into that?. And, if there's anybody else that could potentially face charges for assisting him, in any of this, at all?.

DA - I think it's a fair question. Motive is often an elusive thing to pin down. We do have some theories. I think that would be an oversimplification, although that certainly would be a part of the apparent motivation for Stephen Capaldi, but only he really knows. Perhaps, someday, when he when he pleads guilty, he will reveal that to us. But, we are not yet satisfied that we know of the motive. To answer the second part of your question. As I said, the investigation is ongoing. What I would assure the public is that we here, in law enforcement, are convinced that Stephen Capaldi was solely responsible for his wife's murder, but the investigation is ongoing because there are still plenty of loose ends to wrap up, and we share the same interests and concerns that perhaps the public does, but I would like to reassure the public that it is safe and Stephen Capaldi is responsible for his wife's murder.

Reporter - Just as a follow up. You said 'could be part of the motive' - Is it because you are aware that he did have a mistress or someone he was having an affair with?.

DA - As I understand it, the Grand Jury issued a report in this matter. It was an extraordinary circumstance in which we got permission from the Judge to go outside the Grand Jury process because of a danger to Mr. Capaldi and we felt a danger to the community, but as a result, today, the Grand Jury issued a report and in that report they do indicate that Stephen Capaldi had a mistress. And, that document will be made available to the public and through the media.

Reporter - Can you talk a little bit about.. you mentioned something about phone conversations and you might not have gotten them readily if it.. Can you elaborate on that a little bit more?. What were the conversations and how did you get them?.

DA - Well, as you know, technology is quite sophisticated and oftentimes the technology advances quicker even than routine law enforcement could keep up with it. So, we had to take extraordinary measures and take the phones that we recovered down to the RCFL, which is located in Delaware County and we have somebody embedded with them, TG, and he dropped every other case that he was working on and he was able to crack those phones open and extract information, that not only had been stored on there originally, but that had been erased and deleted and, I believe, intentionally. That information was vital to us to establish Stephen Capaldi as, not only a person of interest, but our only suspect and, now, defendant in his wife's murder.

Reporter - I know this is part of the judicial process and you might not be able to answer this question, but - Is there a distinction of why you chose to charge him with 3rd degree murder and not 1st degree?. Is that because of the negotiated deal?.

DA - Absolutely, yes. If you know, we here, and this is a bittersweet thing, but we here in Bucks County, we are very, very aggressive in trying to locate people that are missing and unfortunately, in this case, as well in others, have met their demise, that have been murdered. And, it's a value judgement on my part, but one that I made in consultation with the family and one that I don't regret. And, that is that in order to locate Beth Capaldi and bring her home, we have to make a bargain. And, in this case, the bargain that Stephen Capaldi chose to strike, with us, was to cooperate and tell us where.. and frankly tell us and show us where Beth Capaldi was left, in exchange for a plea to a reduced charge of murder.

Reporter - What can you tell us about what you extracted from the phones?.

DA - You will see a lot of that in the report. I don't have that, in particular, right here.

Reporter - Do you know where in Montgomery County, he disposed of her remains?. Are you able to track that, where that went?.

DA - It was, according to Mr. Capaldi, it was a dumpster in Lansdale in an apartment complex. We did track that dumpster, which had, obviously, been emptied several months ago to a landfill, and that has proven to be an insurmountable challenge for us. Those recovery results, insurmountable challenge for us, but we continue to pursue leads on recovering additional remains of Beth Capaldi to bring her home to her family.

Reporter - How many search warrants were issued in regards to her remains?. You did Tinicum, Sellersville and Montgomery?.

DA - I couldn't say how many search warrants, but I can say that we have searched in, at least, three distinct locations for Miss Capaldi's remains, and we will continue to do so. If you can understand for perspective what these law enforcement, men and women, have accomplished is, they've essentially solved the case and so you could expect that this is not the case, that we could say our work is done here, but there's a humane part of this case that is very, very important to me and to my team, and that is - that we owe it to this family to try to recover Beth Capaldi. And, that's over and above how successful or unsuccessful this criminal prosecution will be. So, we remain committed to that process until it's no longer feasible.

Reporter - You haven't found any remains then?.

DA - We have, yes.

Reporter - You have found some?.

DA - Yes, in Tinicum.

Reporter - The murder scene was in the home?.

DA - Yes.

Reporter - What part of the home?.

DA - Well, I still have to be somewhat circumspect. I'm technically not allowed to say whether somebody confessed or not, but our evidence indicates to us that Beth Capaldi was murdered in her bedroom. That she was strangled and/or smothered and that she was then taken to the basement.

Reporter - You mentioned that... and he did testify before the Grand Jury and had a polygraph. What did he testify to?. What did the polygraph say?.

DA - Well, I think if you read in the report, that will be made available to the public, it will indicate that he failed the polygraph. He was not... he failed the polygraph, I'll say that and that the Grand Jury found his testimony to be untruthful, incredible. That's a value judgement that they made, but as you now understand, we met with Mr. Capaldi after that and he was provably, demonstrably, truthful with us in his cooperation.

Reporter - Hate to ask this question, but can you give any... the nature of the remains that were recovered?.

DA - I'd prefer not to do that.

Reporter - Was that done in the basement?. Not to be overly gory here.

DA - Yes.

Reporter - What was the catalyst for this conversation even to happen?. Was he called in and questioned or did he come to you guys with an attorney?.

DA - It's the power of the Grand Jury and the power of excellent investigative work and great work by our Prosecutor's. They put a lot of pressure to bear on him. He was called before the Grand Jury and candidly unraveled.

Reporter - Were there any calls of any domestic abuse history or any police calls to the house?.

DA - I normally wouldn't be able to comment on that, but the answer, in this case, is no.
Alright, thank you all. I really appreciate your patience and your help in this case. Thank you. God bless the Capaldi's.

GRAND JURY REPORT.
Thank you for this. Truly tragic, but what a great team the DA has in Bucks County, PA. Great work. Sad outcome.

I just finally made it through the grand jury report. At the very end, where they mention SC was taken into custody outside of their purview, it sounds like he had become suicidal during his unravelling, and that is why he was booked. MOO.

I was getting Barry Morphew vibes reading that excuse! :rolleyes:

Yep.

At least we didn't have to digest the "narrative" that SC suddenly noticed a large and unusually attractive herd of driftwood, and was compelled to follow it into the middle of nowhere, which explained his eccentric driving patterns that day.

I'm astonished this numpty didn't follow the (sadly) successful BM playbook. Although it looks like Beth's daughter knew the score pretty early on.

What a dispiriting case.

TRANSCRIPT OF PRESS CONFERENCE

15TH. DECEMBER.

DA - I'm here to report that the Beth Capaldi missing person case has now been charged as a homicide. First, I'd like to give you a timeline of important events. On Oct. 10th of this year, 57 yr. old, Stephen Capaldi, murdered his wife of 30 yrs., 55 yr. old, Elizabeth 'Beth' Capaldi, in their Sellersville home. On the 11th., the next day, he dismembered her. On the 12th., Beth Capaldi was reported missing by her daughter after her family, uncharacteristically, hadn't heard from her for two days. That same day, our investigation began. Also, on that same day, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, who is now charged with his wife's murder, disposed of her partial remains in a dumpster in Montgomery County. On Nov. 5th., Stephen Capaldi buried part of the victim's remains along the Delaware River shoreline at Hog Island in Tinicum in Delaware County. On Dec. 8th., the defendant appeared before the Bucks County investigating grand jury. He testified. He took a polygraph and he was then interviewed by us. As part of a counselled proffer agreement, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, was arrested, charged and arraigned for murdering his wife, Beth Capaldi, and for offences related to its cover up. The defendant is in Bucks County Prison on a no bail status for his murder of his wife. It is anticipated, by me, that he will plead guilty to these offences and be sentenced to 20-40 years in prison. The earliest that he will be eligible for parole, under the terms of this agreement, will be when he is 77 yrs. old.

On Dec. 9th, the defendant was transported by law enforcement, some of which you see arrayed behind me here, to the Hog Island burial site, where he led law enforcement, voluntarily, to where he believed he had buried his wife's remains. Pennsylvania State Police Trooper, Joe Carlston and his K9 cadaver dog, Jack, were there to help locate Capaldi's remains and, in fact, did so. Delaware County Detectives and Tinicum Township Police Department were also mobilised with very little notice, on many occasions, to assist in this recovery. Because this was of paramount importance, not only to us, but as you can imagine, to Beth Capaldi's family. On Dec. 12th., (??) Township Police Department, at our request, used rapid hits DNA testing of the recovered remains to identify Beth Capaldi and conclusively indicate that the remains that we found at that Hog Island site were hers.

I'd like to give additional thanks. This resolution, which is very, very swift in an unsolved murder case, was only possible after extensive law enforcement investigation, multijurisdictional cooperation and the utilisation of state-of-the-art investigative techniques. I would be remiss if I didn't give special thanks to the Bucks County Grand Jury, who is comprised of Bucks County's own citizens. They took testimony in this case, which put extreme pressure on the defendant. Thus, making it the viable homicide prosecution that it became and that it is currently today. I'd like to particularly recognise Bucks County analyst TC, who works out of the regional computer forensic lab. He downloaded the phones that were used in this case and discovered key evidence that we would have missed on our own equipment, as sophisticated as it may be, and I daresay without his help, the defendant might not be in custody for his wife's murder today.

I think it's very important to everybody to understand the principles and the goals that I considered in support of my negotiations with the defendant. Anytime that we undertake a negotiation of this magnitude, in which, literally, lives are at stake, the buck stops here. I want you all to understand that I did so while having engaged with Beth Capaldi's family. And, they are understanding and accepting of the agreement that we've made in this case. In speaking on their behalf, they'd first like to let everybody know, all the members of the public that they give thanks to you all, for your never ending support, from the minute that we reported Beth Capaldi's missing status on Oct. 26th., until today and, I'm sure, ongoing throughout this process. But, second, Beth Capaldi's family does not wish to make any public comment and wish to mourn privately, and would really appreciate it if you would respect their wishes.

The principles and goals that I focused on, in making this negotiation, with the defendant - First was to find Beth Capaldi alive, if possible. If you recall, on Oct. 26th., I said that we hold on to hope as long as there's room for hope. Sadly, and I am so sorry that this was not possible in this case. Her family and I and every member of law enforcement who are right here and all that participated in this recovery were devastated by this news. This goes without saying, but I think it's important for the public to understand that if I had some magic time machine and I could turn back the clock to prior to Beth Capaldi's murder, I would do so every time, but that's just not how our universe works. So secondly, and this is always second - To bring Beth Capaldi back to her family and to bring her killer to justice. We continue, to this day, for our job is not over, to pursue both of these goals. We will continue with our investigation and yes to look for Beth Capaldi's remains until it is no longer feasible to do so. But, this negotiated resolution will now allow Beth Capaldi's family to grieve on their own terms, knowing that we did all we could do to find her and, ultimately, to bring her home and free of the whims and the timing of the criminal justice system and the endless appeals that it affords its defendants. In a word, closure. Hopefully soon, Beth Capaldi will rest in peace and her family can find peace as well. That's all that I have to say in my remarks. I'm guessing you have questions and I will try to answer them if I can.

Reporter - The motives that I've been hearing is that Stephen had a woman that he was having an affair with. I'm wondering if you guys' are looking into that?. And, if there's anybody else that could potentially face charges for assisting him, in any of this, at all?.

DA - I think it's a fair question. Motive is often an elusive thing to pin down. We do have some theories. I think that would be an oversimplification, although that certainly would be a part of the apparent motivation for Stephen Capaldi, but only he really knows. Perhaps, someday, when he when he pleads guilty, he will reveal that to us. But, we are not yet satisfied that we know of the motive. To answer the second part of your question. As I said, the investigation is ongoing. What I would assure the public is that we here, in law enforcement, are convinced that Stephen Capaldi was solely responsible for his wife's murder, but the investigation is ongoing because there are still plenty of loose ends to wrap up, and we share the same interests and concerns that perhaps the public does, but I would like to reassure the public that it is safe and Stephen Capaldi is responsible for his wife's murder.

Reporter - Just as a follow up. You said 'could be part of the motive' - Is it because you are aware that he did have a mistress or someone he was having an affair with?.

DA - As I understand it, the Grand Jury issued a report in this matter. It was an extraordinary circumstance in which we got permission from the Judge to go outside the Grand Jury process because of a danger to Mr. Capaldi and we felt a danger to the community, but as a result, today, the Grand Jury issued a report and in that report they do indicate that Stephen Capaldi had a mistress. And, that document will be made available to the public and through the media.

Reporter - Can you talk a little bit about.. you mentioned something about phone conversations and you might not have gotten them readily if it.. Can you elaborate on that a little bit more?. What were the conversations and how did you get them?.

DA - Well, as you know, technology is quite sophisticated and oftentimes the technology advances quicker even than routine law enforcement could keep up with it. So, we had to take extraordinary measures and take the phones that we recovered down to the RCFL, which is located in Delaware County and we have somebody embedded with them, TG, and he dropped every other case that he was working on and he was able to crack those phones open and extract information, that not only had been stored on there originally, but that had been erased and deleted and, I believe, intentionally. That information was vital to us to establish Stephen Capaldi as, not only a person of interest, but our only suspect and, now, defendant in his wife's murder.

Reporter - I know this is part of the judicial process and you might not be able to answer this question, but - Is there a distinction of why you chose to charge him with 3rd degree murder and not 1st degree?. Is that because of the negotiated deal?.

DA - Absolutely, yes. If you know, we here, and this is a bittersweet thing, but we here in Bucks County, we are very, very aggressive in trying to locate people that are missing and unfortunately, in this case, as well in others, have met their demise, that have been murdered. And, it's a value judgement on my part, but one that I made in consultation with the family and one that I don't regret. And, that is that in order to locate Beth Capaldi and bring her home, we have to make a bargain. And, in this case, the bargain that Stephen Capaldi chose to strike, with us, was to cooperate and tell us where.. and frankly tell us and show us where Beth Capaldi was left, in exchange for a plea to a reduced charge of murder.

Reporter - What can you tell us about what you extracted from the phones?.

DA - You will see a lot of that in the report. I don't have that, in particular, right here.

Reporter - Do you know where in Montgomery County, he disposed of her remains?. Are you able to track that, where that went?.

DA - It was, according to Mr. Capaldi, it was a dumpster in Lansdale in an apartment complex. We did track that dumpster, which had, obviously, been emptied several months ago to a landfill, and that has proven to be an insurmountable challenge for us. Those recovery results, insurmountable challenge for us, but we continue to pursue leads on recovering additional remains of Beth Capaldi to bring her home to her family.

Reporter - How many search warrants were issued in regards to her remains?. You did Tinicum, Sellersville and Montgomery?.

DA - I couldn't say how many search warrants, but I can say that we have searched in, at least, three distinct locations for Miss Capaldi's remains, and we will continue to do so. If you can understand for perspective what these law enforcement, men and women, have accomplished is, they've essentially solved the case and so you could expect that this is not the case, that we could say our work is done here, but there's a humane part of this case that is very, very important to me and to my team, and that is - that we owe it to this family to try to recover Beth Capaldi. And, that's over and above how successful or unsuccessful this criminal prosecution will be. So, we remain committed to that process until it's no longer feasible.

Reporter - You haven't found any remains then?.

DA - We have, yes.

Reporter - You have found some?.

DA - Yes, in Tinicum.

Reporter - The murder scene was in the home?.

DA - Yes.

Reporter - What part of the home?.

DA - Well, I still have to be somewhat circumspect. I'm technically not allowed to say whether somebody confessed or not, but our evidence indicates to us that Beth Capaldi was murdered in her bedroom. That she was strangled and/or smothered and that she was then taken to the basement.

Reporter - You mentioned that... and he did testify before the Grand Jury and had a polygraph. What did he testify to?. What did the polygraph say?.

DA - Well, I think if you read in the report, that will be made available to the public, it will indicate that he failed the polygraph. He was not... he failed the polygraph, I'll say that and that the Grand Jury found his testimony to be untruthful, incredible. That's a value judgement that they made, but as you now understand, we met with Mr. Capaldi after that and he was provably, demonstrably, truthful with us in his cooperation.

Reporter - Hate to ask this question, but can you give any... the nature of the remains that were recovered?.

DA - I'd prefer not to do that.

Reporter - Was that done in the basement?. Not to be overly gory here.

DA - Yes.

Reporter - What was the catalyst for this conversation even to happen?. Was he called in and questioned or did he come to you guys with an attorney?.

DA - It's the power of the Grand Jury and the power of excellent investigative work and great work by our Prosecutor's. They put a lot of pressure to bear on him. He was called before the Grand Jury and candidly unraveled.

Reporter - Were there any calls of any domestic abuse history or any police calls to the house?.

DA - I normally wouldn't be able to comment on that, but the answer, in this case, is no.
Alright, thank you all. I really appreciate your patience and your help in this case. Thank you. God bless the Capaldi's.

GRAND JURY REPORT.
He was burying partial remains almost a month later?????

I have no words.

JMO

On Dec. 8th., the defendant appeared before the Bucks County investigating grand jury. He testified. He took a polygraph and he was then interviewed by us. As part of a counselled proffer agreement, the defendant, Stephen Capaldi, was arrested, charged and arraigned for murdering his wife, Beth Capaldi, and for offences related to its cover up. The defendant is in Bucks County Prison on a no bail status for his murder of his wife. It is anticipated, by me, that he will plead guilty to these offences and be sentenced to 20-40 years in prison. The earliest that he will be eligible for parole, under the terms of this agreement, will be when he is 77 yrs. old.
Thanks again for the transcript @Allabouttrial.

Appears that Dec 8 made for one very intense day for SC. He first appeared before the GJ-- followed by a polygraph and interview by investigators where he ultimately confessed to murdering his wife.

While this was a very quiet investigation for those of us following this thread, the resolution was quick. DA made a deal with the devil.

Cheers to RCFL and the techies that constantly amaze me with their ability to retrieve deleted data from cell phones.

I've been thinking a lot about this case today because it's the first case I've followed where the cart came before the horse, if you will.

Looking back to the first press conference by the DA, it's now obvious the prosecutor's office took the lead from the beginning and was responsible for helping the investigation whereas typically, it's the other way around where LE builds the case and hands it over to the prosecutor.

A grand jury has a wide range of power to issue subpoenas and call witnesses and physical evidence. It seems to me that this case relied heavily upon subpoena power to collect evidence instead of warrants and how they kept it all so quiet from the public. But it was also kept quiet from the defendant, and he played right into their hands.

In Pennsylvania, a grand jury can begin at the county level by a prosecutor who submits an application to a presiding judge to summon a grand jury. (It can also begin at a multi-county level by the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s request to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court).

Somewhat surprised it's third degree murder ?
I'm thinking premeditated and first degree ?
Actually, the third-degree charge was the result of the negotiated deal with the devil.

No doubt the defendant's actions warranted murder-1.

The DA is focusing on the fact the earliest that SC will be eligible for parole, under the terms of this agreement, will be when he is 77 yrs. old. I don't see him ever leaving prison. MOO

This case is absolutely infuriating and I had to step away for a few days.
Here was Steve, claiming Beth had walked away with his money...claiming she was having a long-term affair....claiming she was on a warm beach somewhere.
All the while he was concealing his own affair, his indebtedness due to comic book purchases (comic books!), and plotting out ways to dismember his wife and get away with it.
Disgusting.

My heart goes out to Emma. She will never be the same.

Impressive investigation. Two months elapsed from Beth's disappearance to husband's arrest and confession for murder. There were no media leaks. During ongoing investigation, LE released virtually zero information to public. Then, when arrest was made, AG disclosed a complete report of investigation as well as full GJ statement to the public, in addition to press conference. I am wondering why more disappearances and murders are not handled as efficiently.

This case is absolutely infuriating and I had to step away for a few days.
Here was Steve, claiming Beth had walked away with his money...claiming she was having a long-term affair....claiming she was on a warm beach somewhere.
All the while he was concealing his own affair, his indebtedness due to comic book purchases (comic books!), and plotting out ways to dismember his wife and get away with it.
Disgusting.

My heart goes out to Emma. She will never be the same.
He even went on an online comic shopping spree while she was "missing".
1671298622463.png
source: brothersrecords-more on eBay

Last edited:
Pulling from the TIMELINE I'd posted back in Nov to fill in important new info

TIMELINE updates in RED
BC = Beth Capaldi, 55yo cancer survivor, last seen M Oct 10
HubSC = husband Stephen Capaldi, arrested Dec 9
DauEC = adult daughter Emma

Su OCT 9
  • BC calls in a prescription from CVS; this is never picked up [8]

M OCT 10 - LAST SEEN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • last seen at home on East Church & High Street, Sellersville, PA [1@0:40] by HubSC [2] in "early morning hours" [3]
  • wallet is missing; cell phone, keys, and car were left behind [1]; house key also left behind [2]
  • [AM] HubSC killed BC by strangulation and using a pillow to smother her, then moved her body to a guest bedroom and later to the basement, where he dismembered her [8]
  • [TIME?] HubSC drives Landsdale to visit his mistress of ~6mo; he initially tells LE that he was fishing [8]
TU OCT 11 - DAY 1
  • HubSC later told DauEC that he noticed $13k in cash missing on this day [8]

W OCT 12 - DAY 2 - REPORTED MISSING
  • [TIME?] HubSC disposed of BC's remains prior to speaking with police [8]
  • [TIME?] reported missing by daughter [1] who had spoken to HubSC that day and learned that BC had been missing for a few days [8]
  • [TIME?] HubSC interviewed by LE; he maintained that BC was having an affair and left on her own [8]
F OCT 14 - DAY 4
  • Perkasie Borough PD posts Attempt To Locate [4]
Su OCT 16 - DAY 6
  • HubSC told "numerous people" that he was thinking of confession for DauEC's sake [8]
~M OCT 24 - DAY 14 ("yesterday or day before" Oct 26 - [1@0:20])
  • LE had "bloodhounds or some kind of dogs" out [1@0:20]
W OCT 26 - DAY 16
  • MSM picks up case [1]
  • neighbor interviewed, states that
    • LE was canvassing neighborhood [1@0:16]
    • yesterday or day before, LE had "bloodhounds or some kind of dogs" out [1@0:20]
  • PM - District Attorney holds press conference to ask for public's help [2] - transcribed by @Allabouttrial HERE
    • states that they have some leads they're working on, but "we're prepared for any eventuality" [2]
    • have spoken to BC's husband [3]
W NOV 3 - DAY 24
  • new VIDEO posted w update abt search [2vid2]
  • [TIME/DATE?] ~50 people searched familiar areas, creeks, parks, railroad tracks in Sellersville & Perkesie [2vid2@0:01]
  • [TIME/DATE?] searchers found articles of clothing, jewelry & will hand over to investigators [2vid2@1:33]
  • MIL states that husband is "frantically worried" [2vid2@0:35]
  • BC suffered recent stresses/losses - father & FIL both died, mother in a home [2vid2@1:10]
F NOV 5 - DAY 26
  • [early AM] HubSC turns off phone to drive to Philadelphia to "collect driftwood" [8]
M NOV 7 - DAY 28
  • profile posted on NAMUS, including the statement that "Per her husband, there is $13,000.00 in cash missing from the residence" [5]
Sa NOV 12 - DAY 33
  • third large, organized search held by community [6]
Th DEC 8 - DAY 59
  • LE at residence [7]
  • HubSC appeared before Grand Jury, failed polygraph test, gave confession[8]
F DEC 9 - DAY 60
  • large LE presence at home [7]
  • HubSC taken into custody [7]
  • LE searching with HubSC in area near Philadelphia International Airport, where they uncovered human remains [7]
Th DEC 15 - DAY 68
  • DA press conference [8] - transcribed by @Allabouttrial HERE
    • HubSC charged with "third-degree murder, possessing an instrument of crime, tampering with or fabricating physical evidence, obstructing the administration of law or other governmental function and abuse of a corpse." [8]
SOURCES
[1] Police search for missing Bucks County mom who 'vanished' - NBC Philadelphia - Oct 26
[2] Disappearance of Bucks County woman under investigation - Patch - Oct 26 / VIDEO (2vid1) "Police search..." / NEW VIDEO (2vid2) "Family continues..." added Nov 2 & transcribed by @Allabouttrial HERE
[3] Sellersville woman Beth Capaldi missing for more than two weeks - Courier Times - Oct 26
[4] PBPD Attempt to Locate - Oct 14
[5] NAMUS
[6] Community holding third search - Courier Times - Nov 11
[7] Heavy police presence gathers - North Penn Now - Dec 9
[8] Husband charged with killing Elizabeth Capaldi - Bucks Co District Attny Office - Dec 15 incl Grand Jury Report

---------------------------------
MOOs

Just pulling out this one that caught my attention as I was updating this:

OCT 16 - HubSC told "numerous people" that he was thinking of confession for DauEC's sake [8]

How many people (family members? friends?) knew at this point??? I'd always thought that the MIL's statements on Nov 3 were really odd; could this be why? Because her son had already been asking her whether he ought to just confess for Emma's sake???

OCT 16 - HubSC told "numerous people" that he was thinking of confession for DauEC's sake [8]

How many people (family members? friends?) knew at this point??? I'd always thought that the MIL's statements on Nov 3 were really odd; could this be why? Because her son had already been asking her whether he ought to just confess for Emma's sake???
[respectfully snipped for brevity]

I think MIL's statements were based on whatever pack of lies SC was feeding her at the time. i.e. Beth had reached maximum capacity and just couldn't handle it any more....She was attractive and anyone could have followed her.
My opinion of SC is that he is mentally and emotionally immature. It is likely that the burden of the murder and dismemberent weighed heavily on him. I think his feelings of guilt were overwhelming and he quickly began unraveling. I can see SC asking his mother whether he ought to just confess for Emma's sake.
moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back