PA PA - French Creek State Park, Union Twp, BlkFem 21-28, 349UFPA, bag w/ "FA", "O" & "ATER", Jul'88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I followed this link from another thread and was intrigued by the discussion about the plastic bag. I saw additional letters in the photos which strongly suggested to me the words "factory closeout stores." I didn't see that suggestion here so far, so thought I'd bring it up. I did a search of factory closeout stores, but nothing stood out for me. I wasn't sure whether to search only in PA, or do a general search.

As for the lettering at the bottom, I don't think the last letter is an "R." It looks like it could be an "O" with the lower tip of the letter concealed. Possibly, San Mateo? I didn't find anything enlightening when I did a search of factory closeout stores in San Mateo, though. If the bag was from San Mateo, it would suggest that it belonged to the killer, and he was probably an out-of-towner; perhaps, a drifter. As mentioned previously, the last letter at the bottom of the bag could also be a "d."

A place called "Vanity Fair" was located in Reading. They have a bunch of outlet stores. Maybe one of the stores that used to be located there is where the bag came from?

A place called "Vanity Fair" was located in Reading. They have a bunch of outlet stores. Maybe one of the stores that used to be located there is where the bag came from?

I'm formerly from Reading. Any idea when the Morgantown Outlet Mall opened up? I remember going there in the early to mid 90's but I'm not sure of the history of that place.

Yes the mom mall was open then too. Also on route 23 in morgantown there was an antique market (behind the turkey hill) the building is still there but not really sure what it has in it

Yes the mom mall was open then too. Also on route 23 in morgantown there was an antique market (behind the turkey hill) the building is still there but not really sure what it has in it

Do you mean the windmill restaurant?

This grocery bag identifying reminds me of the work put into another cold case IUD on here. It's a case from AZ and the John Doe was found with a tattered up shirt with a bird on it. A WS'er actually identified the bird on the shirt and where the shirt came from! That's what I think will happen here. A WS'er will crack this!

ETA: sorry, it was in NV (Wellington) to be exact.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not really into shopping much, but I wanted to make another suggestion about the bag. There was a company back then that sold school uniforms, sweaters, jackets, etc. I'm not sure what color their logo was or if they're still in business, but it might be worth checking out.

MOO

I haven't read the entire thread yet.......

but was in the paper & plastics re-distribution industry in the 90's. I wonder if the local re-d's or local paper and plastic distributors in the area would recognize the bag. Saafeld was a big one back then, but can't recall too many others. Duro and Bagcraft stick out in my mind, but don't recall if they produced plastic bags. I don't recall the co I worked for selling too many plastic back then.

Will see what else I can find on plastic bag mfg's/re-de's or distributors in the area. Did anyone previously contact local bag mfg's? someone who sold this should recognize the logo and imprint.

The imprint was one color/ red? according to the most recent link. Single ink colors were/are inexpensive to print..... far less than a mulit colored print, so whichever co these bags belonged to...were price consciense on the bags.

eta, I think Bunzl was a bigger re-d, in the east coast area.

BBM, and slightly off topic: the grocery store I work for gets their bags (as well as other supplies) from Bunzl, lol.

According to NAMUS, she was found at Group 2, campsite 1. French Creek is a popular camping spot, especially for people who live around the Philadelphia area. Here's a link to her NAMUS profile:
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12357
Someone upthread had asked about whether it was possible that she was camping at the park when she was killed. It's definitely possible that she was.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2516dfpa.html She was on her way to the store

Dorothy Williams
Missing since January 19, 1987 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: September 14, 1964
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • AKA: Dorothy Thornton

Circumstances of Disappearance
Dorothy Williams left her home on the morning of January 19, 1987 to go to the store. She hasn't been seen since.

Elverson, Pa. Where doe was found is only about 20-30 miles from Philly

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Elverson&state=PA

She gets my vote as well.

Has she ever been ruled out?

Twenty WS pages, perhaps some more possible matches have popped up in the past few years since the last post. Is anyone able to see the rule out list?

Twenty WS pages, perhaps some more possible matches have popped up in the past few years since the last post. Is anyone able to see the rule out list?

There are zero listed. Unknown if there are any that aren't publicly viewable.

@Melt71 How awful. I have no doubt the perp in the case you linked had other victims. Hard to say if the cases are related. I notice our Jane Doe was left in a shallow grave in a park, versus the cold case left on the side of the road. But who knows.

Bumping up case. I bet her DNA is in NamUs by now and there were no matches by computer, because I think those are not shown.
ETA - I assume she will need to be ID'd by a manual match of some kind.

I wonder if she was ever officially reported missing.

1668664900549.png
1668664954273.png

Dorothy Williams was last seen on the morning of January 13, 1987 when she left her Philadelphia, Pennsylvania home to go to the store for groceries.

I know this has been suggested before but did anyone submit?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StringTheory3333
Back