PA - Grace Packer, 14, murdered, Abington, 4 July 2016 *Killer died*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For those here that are in Pennsylvania, and familiar with PA politics/justice...

Is it likely that Sullivan will see this sentance carried out? From what I've understood, practically speaking he's likely to spend his life on death row.

We are moving to a larger quart [court] room for the sentencing. In addition to homicide he also pleaded guilty to rape of a child, kidnapping abuse of a corpse and other charges.
10:33 AM 3/28/19
LaurieMasonSchroeder on Twitter

This is the statement from Grace Packers little brother. Please read it and share it.
10:35 AM 3/28/19
My name is Josh and my sister is Grace. I am here today because for the very first time it is my turn to talk about what I want to talk about.

Before this tragedy, Grace and I had a very hard life. We moved all the time and we were never able to have what most people call normal. All along everybody has told me what was best for me, but nobody ever really asked me for what I thought was best. So today is my turn.

When I lost my sister Grace, I was heartbroken and I will never be able to have as happy of a life or as normal a life as I would if Grace was here. However, something that helps me to feel better about Grace not being here is the fact that today Grace can become a hero.

I would like all of you people in this room to stop reading, turn off your telephone, stop playing with your pencil ... and listen to why I am saying this. I want Grace to be the person you always remember the second you leave here today. I want all of you to find a way to make sure that you watch out for all the kids so that Grace’s loss never happens again because you guys are trying to make sure that you do your best to help kids when they cannot be helped by themselves.

If all of you do this, it means that Grace’s loss has value. If you will not help me to make Grace the hero, I do not know how I can live with the loss of no reason for it. I know that Grace would do anything to make sure she should help other kids. If she was told that she would save lives by the loss of her life, she would say do what I have to do.

Please, this will help me to heal.

I lost everything that all of you take for normal. The best my life can ever be ever again is closer to normal, but I can never have normal because of what happened. If you all care about the impact of my loss, you will help make sure that Grace becomes the hero that I know she already is.

My name is Josh and my sister who is a hero was Grace.”

LaurieMasonSchroeder on Twitter

Last edited:
Updated: March 28, 2019 - 10:36 AM
“[SBM]

A Bucks County jury of six men and six women handed down their decision around 10 a.m. As the jurors were asked one by one whether they agreed on a death sentence, one man wept as he said ‘I agree.’

Several others wiped their eyes as the judge thanked them for their service.

‘The butchery in this case was beyond my ability to describe,’ Bucks County Judge Diane E. Gibbons said. ‘I’m sure it took a lot out of you.’

[SBM]

He was handcuffed in the courtroom after the jury read their verdict, but showed no emotion. His relatives weren’t present.

The formal sentencing was set to begin after a brief recess.

Sullivan will join 142 other inmates on Pennsylvania’s death row. No one has been executed in the state since Gary Heidnik in 1999. Jurors were told not to consider the current moratorium on the death penalty and assume that Sullivan would be executed if they sentence him to death.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Death sentence for Bucks man in rape, murder and dismemberment of 14 year-old Grace Packer

We have move down the hall to a bigger court room. Lawyers are assembling for the Sullivan sentencing.
10:43 AM 3/28/19

Expect some choice words from Judge Gibbons.

The jury has now moved to the bigger court room and are seated in the jury box. They are not required to watch the sentencing they are there by choice.
10:45 AM 3/28/19

All reported by LaurieMasonSchroeder (@LehighCourts) | Twitter

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 31m31 minutes ago
The judge just sentenced Jacob Sullivan to an additional life sentence on the conspiracy account to commit first-degree murder. That will become relevant if he appeals his death sentence.

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 29m29 minutes ago
Judge Gibbons: “You have no soul. I have never said that to another human being in my life and I hope to not say it again, so I expect to say something similar to Sara Packer.

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 28m28 minutes ago
Sara Packer will be sentenced tomorrow.

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 28m28 minutes ago
DA Weintraub may not make a statement today bc Packer’s case is still ongoing. Grace’s family is leaving the courthouse without commenting.

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 21m21 minutes ago

(video clip: LaurieMasonSchroeder on Twitter )

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 19m19 minutes ago
DA Weintraub: “You could not write a horror movie script worse than what happened to Grace Packer.”

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Detective Cindy Pettinato.

(video clip: LaurieMasonSchroeder on Twitter )

LaurieMasonSchroeder‏Verified account @LehighCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Updated story. Judge in sentencing Jacob Sullivan to death for Grace Packer murder: 'You have no soul'

Judge in sentencing Jacob Sullivan to death for Grace Packer murder: 'You have no soul'

Mrach 29, 2019

"Jacob Sullivan is headed to death row for the rape and murder of 14-year-old Grace Packer.

A Bucks County jury deliberated for 12 hours over three days before reaching their verdict. On Wednesday, the panel appeared to be struggling with their life or death decision, but the judge refused to declare them deadlocked — a move that would have triggered an automatic life sentence for Sullivan.

Gibbons ordered the jurors to return to the Justice Center in Doylestown Thursday morning, and they promptly delivered their verdict: death...."

Judge in sentencing Jacob Sullivan to death for Grace Packer murder: 'You have no soul'

mc-grace-packer-homicide-turning-point-20170128

tenor.gif

Grace Packer's life ended in horror at the hands of Jacob Sullivan. She was just 14. For his crimes, Sullivan has been sentenced to death in accordance with a Bucks County jury's verdict. His co-defendant Sara Packer is expected in court at 1:30 p.m. Friday.
12:30 PM 3/28/19
Bucks Co DA's Office on Twitter

I’m pretty sure the attached photo is the new mugshot of Jacob Sullivan since it comes directly from the DA’s Office, but will confirm (he looks so different, IMO):
D2wiysaW0AMP1cu.jpg

ETA:
8A6529A4-E6B1-4F31-BE3E-8A291B57AB81.jpeg
“This photo of Jacob Sullivan was distributed by the Bucks County District Attorney's Office on Thursday after a jury sentenced Sullivan to death for the rape and murder of Grace Packer. (Distributed Photo/Bucks County District Attorney's Office)”

ETA 2:
Older mugshot of JS:
480C8051-CD93-4193-AFD6-075E82E91F8B.jpeg
Grace Packer ‘didn’t have to die’: Mother admits role in daughter’s murder, dismemberment

Last edited:
Grace Packer's life ended in horror at the hands of Jacob Sullivan. She was just 14. For his crimes, Sullivan has been sentenced to death in accordance with a Bucks County jury's verdict. His co-defendant Sara Packer is expected in court at 1:30 p.m. Friday.
12:30 PM 3/28/19
Bucks Co DA's Office on Twitter

I’m pretty sure the attached photo is the new mugshot of Jacob Sullivan since it comes directly from the DA’s Office, but will confirm (he looks so different, IMO):
D2wiysaW0AMP1cu.jpg

ETA:
View attachment 176776
“This photo of Jacob Sullivan was distributed by the Bucks County District Attorney's Office on Thursday after a jury sentenced Sullivan to death for the rape and murder of Grace Packer. (Distributed Photo/Bucks County District Attorney's Office)”

ETA 2:
Older mugshot of JS:
View attachment 176777
Grace Packer ‘didn’t have to die’: Mother admits role in daughter’s murder, dismemberment
Holy Moly! Never would I pick this guy as Sullivan. If he wanted, he could almost pass himself off as not a soul-less being... almost. Still appears evil... no amount of clean up can change that I suspect.

My utmost sympathy to her brother.
His difficult life was made even more horrific by these monsters.
To think that Grace looked to her adoptive "mom" as she was being beaten !
That woman should never walk free.

Rest gently, sweet Grace !

Josh's statement gutted me. It would be shameful if Grace's murder doesn't spark change in adoption services in her area. No child should be placed in a home with such obvious warning signs of abuse.

Executing Justice: The discretionary nature of the death penalty in Pennsylvania

This article is from a few years ago, but it has some statistics. I remembered reading that a lot of people on death row in PA get their sentences reduced to life, but I wasn't sure about the specifics.

The majority of Pennsylvania's condemned inmates no longer are on death row. As of June 1, there were 178 men and two women under a sentence of death.

Nearly 200 condemned inmates in the state have had their death sentence overturned on appeal and have received a new sentence of life in prison or less.

In almost 10 percent of the death penalty cases, the inmate committed suicide or died of natural causes on death row. The most recent inmate convicted in Berks to die on death row was Ronald Puksar, who died last year. Pennsylvania has had twice as many exonerations as executions. Six on death row have been acquitted.

MARCH 28, 2019 3:15 PM
“After reaching their verdict of a death sentence for Jacob Sullivan, his jurors were free to leave the Bucks County Justice Center and return to their lives, hopefully putting the horrific story of 14-year-old Grace Packer’s rape and murder behind them.

Instead, all 12 jurors and several alternates walked down the hall to the larger courtroom opened for Sullivan’s sentencing, to bear witness as Judge Diane E. Gibbons sent him to death row.

‘We wanted to see it through,’ said jury foreman Kevin McDermott. ‘You see stuff like this on television, but you’re never immersed in it. For two weeks, we were.’

[SBM]

Gibbons told the jurors that the evidence has kept her awake at night, and told them not to feel ashamed to seek counseling after their experience in court.

[SBM]

Gibbons called Sullivan a ‘monster,’ and taunted him for asking detectives to make sure he was placed in protective custody in prison.

‘Like the little baby you are, you asked them to protect you, because you’re scared of having done to you what you did to this child,’ Gibbons said.

[SBM]

In addition to the death sentence, Gibbons imposed an additional and consecutive life sentence for Sullivan, plus 44 to 88 years in prison. Those sentences will only become relevant if Sullivan successfully appeals the death sentence. Death sentences in Pennsylvania trigger an automatic appeal.

District Attorney Matt Weintraub said Sullivan earned the harsh sentence.

[SBM]

Sullivan’s public defenders, Jack Fagan and Christina King, declined to comment after the verdict.

Abington police detective Cindy Pettinato called Sullivan’s death sentence ‘appropriate.’ Pettinato started the case against Packer and Sullivan in July 2016, after Sara Packer reported Grace missing to her department, claiming the teen stole $300 and ran away from home. Prosecutors say it was Pettinato’s tenacity in hounding Sara Packer for information and then showing up, unannounced, at Sullivan and Packer’s home, where they were storing Grace’s body, that eventually led to the pair’s arrest.

That was actually one of Sara’s biggest faults, thinking that it was not going to followed up properly,‘ Pettinato said. ‘It’s part of my job to protect kids, and I’ll make sure I always do that.’

[SBM]

McDermott, the jury foreman, said that after hearing Sullivan’s taped confession, he was not surprised by Sullivan’s apparent lack of remorse in court.

“He met my expectation of a monster,” he said.

McDermott, a father of two from Wrightstown, said he watched Sullivan’s face closely throughout the hearing and only saw emotion when Sullivan’s relatives were testifying on his behalf. Sullivan even smiled, McDermott said, when one of his cousins verbally sparred with Chief Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Schorn, accusing her of getting facts wrong.

‘I saw enjoyment of his face,’ he said.

Dustin Hughes of Quakertown was juror number 12. When the jurors were polled on the death verdict, his voiced cracked with emotion as he confirmed that he agreed. Hughes said afterwards that he wasn’t upset. In fact, he said, despite the length of the deliberations, there wasn’t a lot of tension among jurors. It took time to go over the facts, he said, and everyone wanted to be sure they were making the right choice.

‘I sounded like I was crying, but I think I was just feeling closure.,’ Hughes said. ‘Hearing the judge talk, I knew that I did do the right thing.’

McDermott said he hoped his work on the jury ensured that Grace Packer would be remembered.

At the end of the day, I hope we gave her a voice,’ he said.” (BBM)

Last edited:
Damn, Judge Gibbons is a badass. Since I've started keeping up with cases in PA, her name has come up quite a lot, and I'm going to take this as evidence that those cases are going to be in very good hands.

I am so glad that the jurors really weighed this decision and stated emphatically that they considered the "mitigating factors" in reaching their decision. IMVHO, this will help stop a possible overturn of their decision!! Love this judge!! Doesn't mince words!

Prayers for Grace's brother. What a strong and beautiful tribute he gave for Grace.

Friday, March 29th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - PA - Grace Packer (14) (July 4, 2016, Abington; found Oct. 31, 2016 by hunters) – *Sara Packer (42/now 44) adopted "mom" arrested (Jan. 2017) & indicted on 1st degree murder, rape conspiracy, kidnapping & abuse of corpse (dismemberment). Plead not guilty. No bond.
2/19/19: plead guilty. As part of a plea deal, Packer will avoid the death penalty & be sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole. Prosecutors are still seeking the death penalty for Sullivan.
3/26/19 Update: Will be pleading guilty at plea hearing today, 3/27.

3/27/19 Update: Packer’s sentencing hearing is delayed until after the jury reaches their verdict. Sentencing on 3/29.
*Jacob Patrick Sullivan (44/now 46) (Bf of amom) arrested (Jan. 2017) indicted on 1st degree murder, rape conspiracy, kidnapping & abuse of corpse (dismemberment). No bond. DA seeks DP. Plead guilty on 2/22/19.
Trial started on 3/14/19. Scheduled to last 2 weeks. Jurors: 6 women & 6 men, alternates: 4 women from Bucks County.
Court hearings 8/13/18-2/21/18, Jury selection 2/22/19-3/7/19, Trial days 1-6 (3/14/19-3/22/19 reference post #843 here:
GUILTY - PA - Grace Packer, 14, murdered, Abington, 4 July 2016 *Arrests*
3/28/19 Day 10: After 12 hours of deliberations the jurors came back with the verdict of death. Judge sentences Jacob Sullivan to death, and an additional consecutive life sentence for Sullivan, plus 44 to 88 years in prison on conspiracy account to commit 1st degree murder. Those sentences will only become relevant if Sullivan successfully appeals the death sentence. Death sentences in Pennsylvania trigger an automatic appeal.

As distorted as both Packer and Sullivan are individually and collectively, the equivalently polluted human service industry/system should be addressed as publicly as thePacker/Sullivan proceedings, IMO.

I found interest in the suggestion that Packer didn't think that the case would be followed-up upon by the authorities. I am of the belief that her perspective was driven by her human service background... wherein things are not pursued diligently... so she was of the mistaken assumption that the balance of the world worked that way as well.

Also, recent reports that I've seen make lite reference to a review of the human service industry/system... but make it clear that those actions are not being made public. To me, that is a problem. [Kinda reeks of elements of the Catholic church sexual abuse scandal.]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back