PA - Helen Miller, 19, stabbed to death by sister, 14, Manheim Twp., Feb 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wondering why the call to 911. She stated that she killed her sister prior, so did she think they could revive her? Or was she worried she would continue the violence? Or did she know she was wrong and needed to be picked up? We have seen on these pages were many teens anever call 911. Some have parties.
Great point. I don’t know but I felt much greater sympathy for CM because she seemed to feel deeply disturbed immediately after the act. She called 911, went out to flag down responders, seemed remorseful in her utterances and washing hands in the snow, far from someone conniving to cover up a premeditated crime. Sad.

Wondering why the call to 911. She stated that she killed her sister prior, so did she think they could revive her? Or was she worried she would continue the violence? Or did she know she was wrong and needed to be picked up? We have seen on these pages were many teens anever call 911. Some have parties.
I think she knew what she did was wrong. She stabbed her multiple times but left a knife in her neck so it's likely she realized it would be fatal. Maybe she covered her sisters face with the pillow and called 911 while her parents were still sleeping so they wouldn't have to see her. She must have felt some sense of guilt or remorse.

She didn't say she had killed her sister prior, she reportedly said "I just stabbed my sister," which tells me she called immediately after the act.

Police described her as being hysterical and trying to wipe the blood off her hands in the snow. It sounds to me like she regretted her actions rather than being in a celebratory mood.

Imo

Last edited:
I think she knew what she did was wrong. She stabbed her multiple times but left a knife in her neck so it's likely she realized it would be fatal. Maybe she covered her sisters face with the pillow and called 911 while her parents were still sleeping so they wouldn't have to see her. She must have felt some sense of guilt or remorse.

She didn't say she had killed her sister prior, she reportedly said "I just stabbed my sister," which tells me she called immediately after the act.

Police described her as being hysterical and trying to wipe the blood off her hands in the snow. It sounds to me like she regretted her actions rather than being in a celebratory mood.

Imo

I’m pleased you’re active in this thread. You’re an asset as always.

"I just stabbed my sister," Yes, the word ‘just’ minimizes her guilt.

Last edited:
Inmate Details
Inmate Number: PD9366

Name Name Type
CLAIRE ELAINA MILLER Commit Name
CLAIRE ELAINA MILLER True Name
upload_2021-3-6_7-46-53.jpg

Parole Number: PD9366
Date of Birth: 05/18/2006
Race/Ethnicity: WHITE
Height: 5' 03"
Citizenship: USA
Complexion: MEDIUM
Current Location: MUNCY

Permanent Location: MUNCY
Committing County: LANCASTER
Last Updated Time: 3/6/2021 4:00:16 AM
Inmate/Parolee Locator

*I hope she stays there for a long time. Once out of jail into prison population, so much help and government funding is available into entry to these rehabilitation programs.

Inmate Details

Name Name Type
View attachment 287121

Inmate/Parolee Locator

*I hope she stays there for a long time. Once out of jail into prison population, so much help and government funding is available into entry to these rehabilitation programs.
Yeah, if that's the place I'm thinking of, SCI Muncy, it used to be called The Industrial School for Women. They have young adult programs and housing, offer therapy and treatment for mental health disorders, educational and job opportunities, etc. Imo

Inmate Details

Name Name Type
View attachment 287121

Inmate/Parolee Locator

Muncy?

She has now been welcomed to HELL!!!

Muncy?

She has now been welcomed to HELL!!!
Don't disallusion us... I was just feeling relief that she's not sitting alone in a cell and has a chance of rehabilitation.

I've heard about the complaints of medical care, and staff not taking complaints seriously, etc, etc.

I've also heard the same complaints on the outside, in the real world. Quality medical and especially mental health care is a big problem in many rural areas of PA. When I first moved here I was told if you had a serious condition you either had to travel to NYC or Philly for treatment. Imo

Don't disallusion us... I was just feeling relief that she's not sitting alone in a cell and has a chance of rehabilitation.

I've heard about the complaints of medical care, and staff not taking complaints seriously, etc, etc.

I've also heard the same complaints on the outside, in the real world. Quality medical and especially mental health care is a big problem in many rural areas of PA. When I first moved here I was told if you had a serious condition you either had to travel to NYC or Philly for treatment. Imo

I am sorry. I'll try to be more positive.

Of course they will have an assessment and it doesn't mean this young girl doesn't have a chance at rehabilitation.

Solely going on the experiences of two grown women I know who were there, and one well she was 19 so another I guess adult.

They have been sued I believe for their treatment of inmates with mental illness. I'll have to look it up.

Actually my concern is going from her environment and never being locked up into maximum security.

Truth be told I've had friends turn their lives around because next stop was Muncy or death.

Cambridge maybe? It's minimum security, but??????

Of course they will have an assessment and it doesn't mean this young girl doesn't have a chance at rehabilitation.

Solely going on the experiences of two grown women I know who were there, and one well she was 19 so another I guess adult.

They have been sued I believe for their treatment of inmates with mental illness. I'll have to look it up.

Actually my concern is going from her environment and never being locked up into maximum security.

Truth be told I've had friends turn their lives around because next stop was Muncy or death.

Statement of Facts
In accordance with the standard of review for a motion to dismiss, the court will present the facts as alleged in the complaint. See infra Part II. The statements contained herein reflect neither the findings of the trier of fact nor the opinion of the court as to the reasonableness of the parties' allegations.

Plaintiff's complaint begins with allegations that she was sexually assaulted by Defendant Winder in her cell on January 23, 2008. (Doc. No. 1, at 2-3.) She reported the incident and was taken to a local hospital the following day. (Id. at 3.) She states that in retaliation for reporting the incident, upon her return to SCI-Muncy, she was placed in a psychiatric observation cell. Thereafter, she was advised by Defendants Dillela and Craver that she was to be placed on "strip suicide status." (Id.) She alleges that during this time, Defendants Kazaar, Moon and Ritchie, among others, denied her blankets, a mattress, showers, heat, food, and basic hygiene items such as underwear, soap, and a toothbrush and toothpaste. (Id.) In addition, she was housed in a filthy cell with the feces and blood of prior occupants covering the walls. (Id.) She also reports being moved from cell to cell and being placed in a restraint chair on at least three occasions for five to eight hours. (Id. at 4-5.) She indicates that she has been physically assaulted by corrections officers and that certain male corrections' officers have "handle[d]" her naked. (Id. at 4-5.) She also alleges that she was denied medical treatment on several occasions. (Id.) She complains that because she is constantly moved from cell to cell, she does not get her mail or her mail is lost. (Id. at 7-8.)

She filed this action on March 6, 2008. (Doc. No. 1.) She represents that there is a grievance procedure available at SCI-Muncy and that she filed a grievance concerning the facts relating to the complaint. (Id. at 1.) However, she also states that she did not complete the grievance process. (Id.)
Ball v. Sci Muncy, Civil Action No. 1:08-CV-0391 | Casetext Search + Citator

Ex-inmate wins sexual harassment civil case against guard, prison

OPINION BY MR. CHIEF JUSTICE BELL, July 1, 1968:

In these appeals, appellants attack the Constitutionality of the Muncy Act.[*] The Muncy Act provides a *644 mandatory and exclusive procedure and sentencing provisions for women convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.

Appellant Jane Daniel was found guilty of robbery (by a Judge sitting without a jury) and was sentenced to the Philadelphia County Prison for a term of from one to four years. Shortly thereafter, the trial Judge vacated the sentence and resentenced Jane Daniel under the provisions of the Muncy Act to an indeterminate term at the State Correctional Institution at Muncy (hereinafter referred to as "Muncy"). Post-trial motions were denied and an appeal to the Superior Court followed. There, Jane Daniel challenged the validity of her new sentence on the principal ground that the Muncy Act denied women the Equal Protection of Laws as required by the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.[*] The Superior Court denied relief (Commonwealth v. Daniels, 210 Pa. Superior Ct. 156, 232 A. 2d 247), and this Court granted allocatur.

Appellant Daisy Douglas and a co-defendant, Richard Johnson, were charged with aggravated robbery and conspiracy. They were tried without a jury and both found guilty as charged. Johnson was given a sentence of from four to ten years in the Eastern State Penitentiary, and Daisy Douglas was given an indeterminate sentence to Muncy. She filed a petition for relief under the Post Conviction Hearing Act, alleging that she had been denied the Equal Protection of the Laws by having been sentenced under the Muncy Act. The hearing Judge denied Daisy's petition, stating that he was "constrained" to follow the Opinion of the *645 Superior Court in Commonwealth v. Daniels, 210 Pa. Superior Ct., supra. Daisy Douglas appealed to the Superior Court from the Order denying her post-conviction petition and the Superior Court in turn certified the question to this Court pursuant to the Act of June 24, 1895, P.L. 212. We consolidated her appeal with that of Jane Daniel.

The pertinent sentencing provisions of the Muncy Act read as follows: "Any court of record in this Commonwealth, exercising criminal jurisdiction, may,[*] in its discretion, sentence to . . . [Muncy] any female over sixteen years of age, upon conviction for, or upon pleading guilty of, the commission of any criminal offense punishable under the laws of this State. . . . Every sentence imposed pursuant to this act shall be merely a general one to . . . [Muncy], and shall not fix or limit the duration thereof. The duration of such imprisonment, including the time spent on parole, shall not exceed three years, except where the maximum term specified by law for the crime for which the prisoner was sentenced shall exceed that period, in which event such maximum term, including the time spent on parole, shall be the limit of detention under the provisions of this act."[**] (Act of 1913, P.L. 1311, § 15, as amended, 61 P.S. § 566.) It is this exception which creates the basic issue in these two appeals.
Commonwealth v. Daniel
Despite efforts to bring parity to women’s prisons, the reformatory ideal still played an important role in shaping the daily routines of incarcerated women in Pennsylvania at the end of the 20th century. Programs at Muncy, the only maximum security prison for women in Pennsylvania, emphasized their spe- cial needs as victims of physical and sexual abuse. Traditional emphasis on training for domestic life was transformed into a therapeutically oriented focus on emotional control. Relying on data from a survey and interviews conducted with women incarcerated at Muncy in 1999, this article describes the gendered nature of prison life and the way in which treatment programs for women were transformed from an emphasis on restoring moral virtue to fallen women to providing therapy for the mentally ill.
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.940.9723&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Last edited:
The whole Tik Tok thing seems kinda diabolical to me. Our children's minds and souls are being destroyed by all this, and by many other things.

Okay...rant over. Practically speaking, she will not get life without parole as she is only 14-years-old. However, she could very well be incarcerated for many decades. There's no positives that I can discern here. Just a lot of darkness.

So I understand that the Commonwealth of PA mandates that CM be treated as an adult due to the gravity of the crime, but I wonder if it means anything that we haven’t seen any public support for CM from her parents, even in the form of statements like, “We love our daughter C even if we do not understand why she committed this terrible crime” or “this is totally out of character for our daughter C, we have no idea what precipitated this awful act against our other beloved daughter H.”

I can 100% understand that they are beyond devastated to have lost one daughter to a violent act by the other, and have effectively lost the other one to the criminal justice system, and therefore might not be up to dealing with the press, but issuing statements like this, even through a family spokesperson, is something we have seen from other families who go through similar tragedies, so its absence here stands out to me.

So I understand that the Commonwealth of PA mandates that CM be treated as an adult due to the gravity of the crime, but I wonder if it means anything that we haven’t seen any public support for CM from her parents, even in the form of statements like, “We love our daughter C even if we do not understand why she committed this terrible crime” or “this is totally out of character for our daughter C, we have no idea what precipitated this awful act against our other beloved daughter H.”

I can 100% understand that they are beyond devastated to have lost one daughter to a violent act by the other, and have effectively lost the other one to the criminal justice system, and therefore might not be up to dealing with the press, but issuing statements like this, even through a family spokesperson, is something we have seen from other families who go through similar tragedies, so its absence here stands out to me.

That tells me that they want to be left alone. I don’t read much into it. It’s not a missing child where they need help. Even issuing a statement of “let us grieve in private” will keep this in the news. If they secured counsel for CM, the attorney probably told them similar. MOO.

Imo
Multiple times?

I mean, she's 14. She's a kid and she looks like a kid. If she's lucky, someone older will protect her, if not... yikes.

We do not know the dynamics of the family. Moo.....maybe the parents argued constantly over the the disabled child. Maybe the disabled child was very unhappy but trapped by her disability. Moo

That's ok, I had no idea what stories have been told about that facility. The only thing I could think of was the medical care. Apparently there is a high rate of cancer but I don't know if they ever found any evidence it was due to lack of treatment.

Anyway, it seems better than where she was previously. It is a medium- maximum security prison which seems appropriate for a murder charge, especially if she is a suicide risk.

SCI Muncy "serves as a diagnostic and classification for all women entering the state prison system," according to their website, so she could just be there for evaluation.

Also, there's always a chance her case will be moved to juvenile court. Imo

The whole Tik Tok thing seems kinda diabolical to me. Our children's minds and souls are being destroyed by all this, and by many other things.

Okay...rant over. Practically speaking, she will not get life without parole as she is only 14-years-old. However, she could very well be incarcerated for many decades. There's no positives that I can discern here. Just a lot of darkness.
Yeah, those games and comics she liked with themes of torture, violence and murder seem to be geared towards teenagers. Only one was rated for adults only.

I guess the only positive is that she might be rehabilitated. She committed a horrible crime, and nothing will change that. She ended her own sister's life in a very cruel and brutal way. She can get an education and learn a trade while her sister will never paint, sculpt or do anything again. The parents have to live with that for a very long time.

Given the recent Supreme Court case finding life sentences for juveniles unconstitutional, I’m sure there are some very good defense attorneys that will be watching this closely and looking for an opportunity to challenge the constitutionality of PA’s law.

I thought the conversation about C’s potential grievances about being her sister’s caretaker interesting. I was wondering though if maybe her sister’s disability only played a part because she made H a potential victim unable to move or defend herself. If you have a teen with seemingly homicidal impulses (based on the call prior to the murder), how often do they also have an “easy” victim (as disgusting as that is). I thought the tiktoks were weird and disturbing but there are lots of non-murderous kids with weird and disturbing social media accounts. Figuring out who will actually offend is the key and seemingly impossible challenge.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SidewardsDog
Back