PA - Helen Miller, 19, stabbed to death by sister, 14, Manheim Twp., Feb 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Multiple times?

I mean, she's 14. She's a kid and she looks like a kid. If she's lucky, someone older will protect her, if not... yikes.
Yes, Helen reportedly had multiple stab wounds which could mean three or four or it could mean twenty. LE would not say how many times she was stabbed. They apparently took other knives from the home under the warrant. Imo

Multiple times?

I mean, she's 14. She's a kid and she looks like a kid. If she's lucky, someone older will protect her, if not... yikes.

I've never been locked up. Again, I can only go by what I've been told by those that were there. In Muncy.

No, you look out for yourself. If someone looks out for you? You owe them something. The less "friends" the better off you are. If you're impressionable you'll be manipulated. Kindnesd is weakness.

She is a kid. Just a kid. She can continue her schooling. As Ms B said she still can paint, sculpt etc. Her sister can not. Probably never could. However I can't judge her. I didn't walk in her shoes.

Just being honest I'd be afraid to visit Muncy. Heck or even get jail mail.

I've never been locked up. Again, I can only go by what I've been told by those that were there. In Muncy.

No, you look out for yourself. If someone looks out for you? You owe them something. The less "friends" the better off you are. If you're impressionable you'll be manipulated. Kindnesd is weakness.

She is a kid. Just a kid. She can continue her schooling. As Ms B said she still can paint, sculpt etc. Her sister can not. Probably never could. However I can't judge her. I didn't walk in her shoes.

Just being honest I'd be afraid to visit Muncy. Heck or even get jail mail.
Apparently Helen loved working on art projects such as painting and sculpting. I think it was in the Heavy.com article that I read she wrote on her FB page that she had won an award in her school for a watercolor painting, and posted a picture of it.

That is the only thing I have read about her interests or hobbies so that's why I mentioned it.

The only other thing I noticed is that she had a beautiful smile...she probably had a good sense of humor like her sister and dad seem to.

Last edited:
I think in this context the word “just” indicates time, as in “I stabbed my sister a few minutes ago,” rather than minimizing as in “I only stabbed my sister. I didn’t suffocate her.”
JMO
Actually I'm not sure she said the word "just." It was that she was hysterical and repeating several times, "I killed my sister," and "I stabbed my sister" and wiping her hands off in the snow that made me feel that she called 911 almost immediately after the crime.

If it turns out that she killed her several hours before and then later called police sounding hysterical, I might have a different opinion as to how guilty or remorseful she felt.

I think in this context the word “just” indicates time, as in “I stabbed my sister a few minutes ago,” rather than minimizing as in “I only stabbed my sister. I didn’t suffocate her.”
JMO
Yes, time. Still lessening self guilt as she called so quickly realizing what she had done. I hadn’t thought of it in the latter sense you mention.
Actually I'm not sure she said the word "just." It was that she was hysterical and repeating several times, "I killed my sister," and "I stabbed my sister" and wiping her hands off in the snow that made me feel that she called 911 almost immediately after the crime.

If it turns out that she killed her several hours before and then later called police sounding hysterical, I might have a different opinion as to how guilty or remorseful she felt.
Hearing the 911 recording might clear up our views.

Last edited:
What we know about the 14-year-old accused of killing her disabled sister and why she’s in an adult prison

“Prior to her arrest, Claire Miller was in ninth grade at the Lancaster Country Day School, a few blocks from the home.

A spokesperson for the Manheim Township School District told Lancaster OnlineTuesday that Helen Miller received educational services through the district.

A family directory for the HMS School in Philadelphia, which is intended for children with cerebral palsy, also listed Helen Miller as one of about 40 students.

Tom Quinn, president of the school, told ABC27 in an email that Helen Miller was a student and participating in the school’s program virtually.

The 2,500-square-foot home where the sisters lived with their parents was owned by the Helen M. Miller Irrevocable Trust and purchased for $495,000 in Helen’s name in 2005. Parents of children with special needs often use trusts like this to protect assets and provide for long-term care for their children.”

Teen accused of killing her sister becomes one of only two girls in Pa. housed in adult prison

In Miller’s case, she was being held alone in a cell in the women’s unit of Lancaster County Prison, before her transfer. She was the first juvenile female to be held there.

Both of these options are unacceptable, Bivens said, as they both can result in the child being more likely to commit a crime and leave them unequipped to be successful adults.

“In this specific case, we agreed to house Miss Miller because we do, in fact, have another juvenile female housed at SCI-Muncy, so this will allow us to ensure peer socialization for both females,” Bivens said.
So apparently there is another juvenile inmate at Muncy, so she's not being kept isolated or with adult inmates.

Teen accused of killing her sister becomes one of only two girls in Pa. housed in adult prison

So apparently there is another juvenile inmate at Muncy, so she's not being kept isolated or with adult inmates.

I used the Inmate/Parolee Locator (Inmate/Parolee Locator) and it looks like it's a 16 year old girl named Louisa Reyes. She was incarcerated last year for taking part in a murder committed by her boyfriend, which is described here: Convicted murderer, 16, appeals 40-year prison sentence | Times Leader

I wonder what school is like in prison for these kids. At 14 and 16 there's still a lot of growing up to do, parents and guardians still have a lot of "raising" to do at that age, so I wonder how life is like for these kids, in big girl prisons.
I don't think it's much different from the adults. They would likely all be in the same GED classes, no matter what their age. Imo

I used the Inmate/Parolee Locator (Inmate/Parolee Locator) and it looks like it's a 16 year old girl named Louisa Reyes. She was incarcerated last year for taking part in a murder committed by her boyfriend, which is described here: Convicted murderer, 16, appeals 40-year prison sentence | Times Leader
I remember that case but I never knew the outcome. Reyes was 14 years old at the time and her boyfriend was 31. He stabbed the victim over 50 times after what initially was supposed to be a robbery. All for $25. If Reyes got 40 years, I'm wondering what Miller's sentence will be.

Hopefully the two will get along since neither one has much choice.

I remember that case but I never knew the outcome. Reyes was 14 years old at the time and her boyfriend was 31. He stabbed the victim over 50 times after what initially was supposed to be a robbery. All for $25. If Reyes got 40 years, I'm wondering what Miller's sentence will be.

Hopefully the two will get along since neither one has much choice.
I got my start many years ago studying juvenile justice and boy is this PA policy thought provoking. I wanted to be a public defender for juveniles until I met a dynamic one from Miami and she talked me out of it. She said it was like 3 minutes per client before each hearing. She was not able to make the difference she wanted in that role. And just felt mad at the world.

I don't think it's much different from the adults. They would likely all be in the same GED classes, no matter what their age. Imo

Actually, it really depends. If a teen commits a crime, under age 22, and was in Special Education, under IDEA, the "child" is eligible for Special Education services. For a long time, juvenile detention and adult prisons tried to conveniently "forget" this federal law. Until states were hit with lawsuits for denying children with disabilities "FAPE", Free and Appropriate Education.

But, the kids actually get more services than the adults, even if they don't have a disability. Because of the laws regarding access to educational programs for teens. Even incarcerated.

Actually, it really depends. If a teen commits a crime, under age 22, and was in Special Education, under IDEA, the "child" is eligible for Special Education services. For a long time, juvenile detention and adult prisons tried to conveniently "forget" this federal law. Until states were hit with lawsuits for denying children with disabilities "FAPE", Free and Appropriate Education.

But, the kids actually get more services than the adults, even if they don't have a disability. Because of the laws regarding access to educational programs for teens. Even incarcerated.
I think any student can get a high school diploma or GED while incarcerated until age 21, (or 22 if they turn 21 during the school term.) I don't think we know that she was a Special Ed student in her previous school, but she will likely be evaluated to determine if she needs any mental health services.

It seems that Muncy has a wide range of vocational and adult classes as well. I wonder if her attorney will try to get her moved to a juvenile facility.

16 April (Lower) Court Date*
Defendant:
Claire Elaina Miller, 14

- Manheim Township,
Lancaster County,
Pennsylvania -
- 22 February 2021 -

6)) February 2021 -- Lancaster Online dot Com:
Read the criminal complaint: Lancaster Country Day School student charged with killing her sister
[GRAPHIC Text]

7)) Google™ Supplements & Updates:
Helen Miller - Claire Miller - PA - Google Search

8)) Pennsylvania Court Docket:
*https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-02102-CR-0000057-2021&dnh=Uu1OQZZnPnnCj8BLJcwwJA==
via: Case Search

9)) Autopsy:
Cause of Death :: Stab Wound
Manner of Death :: Homicide
Mechanism of Death :: Exsanguination

10)) PA "Juvenile Act"
Pennsylvania Statutes Title 42 Pa.C.S.A. Judiciary and Judicial Procedure § 6301 | FindLaw
& = And - [AMP' err sand]
§ = Section / Silcrow - [SILL
' crow]
§§ = Sub-Section - [Double-Silcrow]

= Trademark
Autopsy = Body Examination to Determine Cause & Manner of Death
CP = (Upper) Court of Common Pleas
C.S.A. = Consolidated Statutes - Annotated
DA = District Attorney
Exsanguination = Major Blood Loss
F/14 = Female / Age 14
F/19 = Female / Age 19
F1 = Felony-Grade Crime of the 1st Degree
Fratricide = Killing of One's Sister
GED = General Equivilencey High School Diploma
LCP
= Lancaster County Prison
LE = Law Enforcement
LWOP = Life With-Out Parole
ME = Medical Examiner
MJ = (Lower) Magisterial District Judge Court
Ms. = Female Form of Mr. / Mister

via = by-way-of
YOA = Years of Age

Our Support to All Domestic Violence
Survivors and Victims...

[Contribution # 7945
Thread # 560437]

Last edited:

bbm

Yup. Long ago I worked in a state capitol. A coworker's housemate was one of 3 educational testers working full-time at the Department of Corrections intake center to screen each & every Under 21 that arrived.

In our state, the under-21 inmate was not assigned to another facility until the screening was complete. This made for another layer of nightmare, many inmates would dawdle, claim illness, try anything to slow down their screening & so prevent a transfer.

Others did at long last have an accurate diagnosis of their learning disability or other handicapping condition -- which if caught in the 2nd or 3rd grade would have resulted in a very different adulthood. JMHO and all that.

I do hope that Ms. Miller (and Ms. Reyes) receive the services they need.

jmho ymmv lrr

Distraught parents watch as girl accused of killing disabled sister waives hearing via video
Fourteen-year-old Claire Miller appeared in Lancaster County Court Friday by video feed from a state prison to face a criminal homicide charge in connection with the February stabbing death of her disabled sister.

She wore a blue-collared shirt and maroon jacket with her hair in pigtails and her long bangs hanging on either side of her face as she appeared virtually from Muncy, the only state prison with proper accommodations for female juveniles.

She sat in a chair facing the camera, and her image was displayed on two large televisions in the courtroom at the Lancaster County Courthouse. One television faced the judge and included a camera that relayed images of the judge and attorneys to Claire.

Looks like the next court date will be in May, when the case moves to trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach
Back