PA PA - Kathleen Kelly, 12, Springdale, 22 May 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I sent the possible match to Amy Dobbs at NamUs. She responded that she will pass it along to the investigating agencies for consideration. Kathleen went missing somewhat local to me - and I didn't hear about her case until a few years ago. I still think she may be Princess Doe.

I just looked at who Kathleen was ruled out against according to her NamUs profile - 8 UID's in VA and one in Ohio. Still nothing on the UID in FL.

I e-mailed the Springdale Police Department on 6/11/2018 for clarification on this because Kathleen Kelly is not listed as being excluded as a possible match for Princess Doe on NamUs, but has been listed as excluded when compared to 7 other does. According to the police department's reply on 6/11/2018, DNA was recently obtained from Kathleen Kelly's siblings, and has been sent to NJ for comparison to Princess Doe. Maybe the person from NamUs got Princess Doe confused with another Doe?

10 months later and I see on NamUs that Kathleen still hasn't been ruled out as Princess Doe. I wonder if they even got the results back yet.

Interesting, I thought she had been ruled out earlier.

I now have some clients directly in Springdale, and this case haunts me more and more. Do we know what part of the borough she disappeared from?

I now have some clients directly in Springdale, and this case haunts me more and more. Do we know what part of the borough she disappeared from?

1216 Pittsburgh St is where Ches-A-Rena was before they knocked it down.
The Maxwell St address is where Kathy's sister lived.
715 Pittsburgh St is a possible address for Kathy's mother, the only address I can find in Springdale for Annabell(e) Kelly.

Google Maps

I have gotten different answers - some are saying she was ruled and a few other people told me she hasn't been. I am really hoping the DNA Doe Project picks up Princess Doe's case. I was told their has been talk between them and the authorities in charge of Princess Doe's case.

I have gotten different answers - some are saying she was ruled and a few other people told me she hasn't been. I am really hoping the DNA Doe Project picks up Princess Doe's case. I was told their has been talk between them and the authorities in charge of Princess Doe's case.
Okay I was going back and forth with the Blairstown Museum on FB this weekend about Kathleen possibly being Princess Doe, here is their response: For some time, there was speculation that Kathleen "Kathy" Kelly might have been Princess Doe - especially because of the height, weight, and cross pendant. However, Kathy has been ruled out through DNA testing.

I guess back to square one...

715 Pittsburgh St is a possible address for Kathy's mother, the only address I can find in Springdale for Annabell(e) Kelly.

Google Maps

As far as I know, both of those residences are still standing. Pittsburgh Street is a main artery in that part of town. It becomes Freeport Road on either end.

There are some smaller shops and strip malls along that corridor.

Also worth noting: about 5 miles south on Pittsburgh St/Freeport Rd is a mall called Waterworks. Waterworks would have been under construction in 1981, as it opened the following year. It's a fairly large strip mall with a lot of outparcel spaces. There may have been some people not from the area in town for that. At the time, it would have been very likely for construction workers to have used PA 910, I-76, and the restaurants near the turnpike exit not far from this area. Had they gone a little further north, it is possible they would have met with Kathy--or she may have met with them had she not gone home immediately.

Just a thought that crossed my mind. I frequent the Waterworks Cinemas (if anyone on here is a Star Wars fan, you now know where to find me on Rise of Skywalker premiere evening) and have been thinking more locally with this case since the rule-out was made official.

I just mentioned to my boss about my weird hobby about matching missing people and unidentified remains. He grew up in Springdale and I mentioned Kathleen's case to him. He said he used to play with her brother - they lived in the same neighborhood. He said Kathleen and her brother both had a troubled home life. He says he vaguely remembers Kathleen going missing, but he was a kid himself.

As far as I know, both of those residences are still standing. Pittsburgh Street is a main artery in that part of town. It becomes Freeport Road on either end.
rsbm

They are still standing. Actually, at 337 Maxwell Ave, there are two houses on the property (337 & 337 1/2). The bigger 5-room (built in 1916) at the front of the lot and a small 3-room house (built in 1948) behind. 715 Pittsburgh St (multi-unit) is real easy to drive right by since the main entrance to it is on North Street.

Real Estate | General Information | Allegheny County
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/337-Maxwell-Ave-Springdale-PA-15144/11564575_zpid/

I've always felt that the answers to Kathy's disappearance will be found locally. Of course, the river comes to mind, as it does when I think of Gabe Minarcin & Jon Dabkowski, who would disappear from Tarentum 8 months later. But there's also just massive amounts of densely wooded areas where a body (if she met with foul play) could be left and never be found.

Bumping for Kathleen, especially since I had a friend move to Springdale earlier this year.

A few more thoughts I had here...

I know someone mentioned they knew Kathleen on here. Have we tracked down any close friends? She certainly would have had some in the area, especially since I'd assume she attended the local public school. We know the home life is bad, but maybe she confided to someone about it.

There's also the possibility that she wound up staying locally. Yes, she's at a crossroads with I-76 and PA 28, both of which we've mentioned before as close connectors to I-79, I-80, US 19, and I-70 (meaning quick access to points across PA as well as OH, NY, WV, NJ, and other surrounding areas). I-90 is only a few hours away as well. Still, what if...she was kept somewhere in Pittsburgh and raised under a fake identity?

The old obituary of Annabell Kelly from 2009 was something I had brought up earlier. It still mentions her as alive, so maybe they know something we don't?

Kathleen would be about 50 years old now and could honestly be anywhere under any identity. The more I think of it, the more I thinks she orchestrated her own disappearance, and part of that is because she seemed to have many older figures in life and likely knew her way around because of it. Having grown up with older influences myself, I can state firsthand that you're more aware of how the world works if you have teenagers, college kids, or adults in your life more than you have, say, a younger sibling or just a peer group.

Bumping for Kathleen, especially since I had a friend move to Springdale earlier this year.

A few more thoughts I had here...

I know someone mentioned they knew Kathleen on here. Have we tracked down any close friends? She certainly would have had some in the area, especially since I'd assume she attended the local public school. We know the home life is bad, but maybe she confided to someone about it.

There's also the possibility that she wound up staying locally. Yes, she's at a crossroads with I-76 and PA 28, both of which we've mentioned before as close connectors to I-79, I-80, US 19, and I-70 (meaning quick access to points across PA as well as OH, NY, WV, NJ, and other surrounding areas). I-90 is only a few hours away as well. Still, what if...she was kept somewhere in Pittsburgh and raised under a fake identity?

The old obituary of Annabell Kelly from 2009 was something I had brought up earlier. It still mentions her as alive, so maybe they know something we don't?

Kathleen would be about 50 years old now and could honestly be anywhere under any identity. The more I think of it, the more I thinks she orchestrated her own disappearance, and part of that is because she seemed to have many older figures in life and likely knew her way around because of it. Having grown up with older influences myself, I can state firsthand that you're more aware of how the world works if you have teenagers, college kids, or adults in your life more than you have, say, a younger sibling or just a peer group.

Did you happen to read this article the Tribune Review had about Kathleen's disappearance in 2018?
Welcome

Well that changes the dynamics a bit. I would think it would be unlikely that an abductor would wait years to make calls like that, so it may very well be Kathleen. Wish there was a way of running a trace on the phone calls.

Now that you say that, it looks like they took Kathleen's picture changed her hairstyle and the shape of her face. They even made the eyes look alike. That is in poor taste on the artists end, especially if Princess Doe isn't Kathleen.
Princess Doe is not Kathleen. The DNA was done with Judy and it is not a match.

Yes for sure but just pointing out that it might be inaccurate info, according to the woman interviewed in the article. So if someone finds a UID match from pre May 81 it could be worth looking into. Wouldn’t be the first case where LKA date was wrong.

Yes
Kathleen went missing in 1980 not 1981. The police in Springdale Boro did not report her as missing until 1981. In 1980 she was a runaway.

Google Maps
Kathleen's mother Annabell lived on Walnut St in Springdale Boro. 1 block off Pittsburgh St which is the main street in Springdale.

Princess Doe is not Kathleen. The DNA was done with Judy and it is not a match.

Hi yes, we found out from the Blairstown Museum that Kathleen wasn't Princess Doe - Did you know Kathleen personally?

Did you happen to read this article the Tribune Review had about Kathleen's disappearance in 2018?
Welcome

I did. It just seemed odd that nobody was really looking for her. I work with kids and teens and I'd imagine they'd go crazy if their friend was gone for any period of time.

I remember even in 1st grade, my friend's parents got divorced and he was out of school for something like three weeks, staying with his grandparents, and we all thought he had disappeared, died or was really sick. We just had to trust our teacher to say that he was still alive. One day, he just came back to school. He didn't really have much to say about things and was really quiet at first, but he was back to his old self eventually. I actually still keep up with him to this day.

The same thing happened in fourth grade when a buddy of mine had pneumonia. We didn't know what was wrong with him. We even made a "missing" poster for him with a reward of a whopping one dollar (hey, we were in fourth grade, plus this was a long time ago when you could buy a few things at the school store for a nickel or a dime). He wound up showing up the next day.

As implied, my elementary days were a long time in the past. If we were that concerned back then, why weren't Kathleen's friends? If my grade school friends were still missing to this day, we'd probably have put together a Facebook page by now. I know there's one for Kathleen, but where are all the old friends? We saw old classmates come forward with Sharon Marshall and tell their stories and give their suspicions about FDF, etc...but where is the love for Kathleen here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back