PA - Leon Katz, infant, murdered, and twin, injured by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There’s a pretty famous case of a child who died from apparent antifreeze poisoning. He had been vomiting and had trouble breathing, and doctors found high levels of ethylene glycol in his blood. A couple of years later, his brother started having the same symptoms. Two brothers, sick in the same way, it would seem likely that they were both poisoned with antifreeze.

But, at the time the younger brother was showing symptoms, his mother was in prison for the murder of the older brother. It was determined that Patricia Stallings’s sons weren’t sick because they were abused in the same way, they were sick because they had the same disease.

Until more facts come out, I’m open to the idea that there could be some unknown other factor that the twins have in common, or even that their injuries were unrelated.
I understand your point completely, but as you cited, these two brothers had the SAME symptoms, and it emerged that they had the SAME disease.

In the Katz case, from what we know at this time, these twins had DIFFERENT injuries. One had injuries to his genital region and one had a fractured skull and died.

IMO this speaks of separate assaults on each twin.

There’s a pretty famous case of a child who died from apparent antifreeze poisoning. He had been vomiting and had trouble breathing, and doctors found high levels of ethylene glycol in his blood. A couple of years later, his brother started having the same symptoms. Two brothers, sick in the same way, it would seem likely that they were both poisoned with antifreeze.

But, at the time the younger brother was showing symptoms, his mother was in prison for the murder of the older brother. It was determined that Patricia Stallings’s sons weren’t sick because they were abused in the same way, they were sick because they had the same disease.

Until more facts come out, I’m open to the idea that there could be some unknown other factor that the twins have in common, or even that their injuries were unrelated.
You may have missed one fact already known, which is that NV said the deceased twin “fell out” of his bouncer seat and that’s what caused his injuries.

It’s safe to assume that the baby with injured genitals had no injury when the parents left, because as soon as they knew they took him to the hospital. (I’m thrown by this, because I would not have left the other baby with her when I just came home to discover my baby’s genitals were injured.)

This is clearly not a statistically unlikely, bizarre disease.

You may have missed one fact already known, which is that NV said the deceased twin “fell out” of his bouncer seat and that’s what caused his injuries.

It’s safe to assume that the baby with injured genitals had no injury when the parents left, because as soon as they knew they took him to the hospital. (I’m thrown by this, because I would not have left the other baby with her when I just came home to discover my baby’s genitals were injured.)

This is clearly not a statistically unlikely, bizarre disease.
I’ve seen that, but didn’t include it in my list of facts because I take it as more of a narrative than something that everyone agrees happened.

I’m not sure what you mean about there being no injury when the parents left because they took him to the hospital. Left from where? I don’t think we know enough about the injury or the circumstances to know that only NV could have caused it and that the injury must have been caused very recently.

IMO, with the information available to the public, it remains possible that AK had an injury prior to NV pointing it out and the parents taking him to the hospital, and that the injury was not caused by NV.

SBM
Yes, this is very perplexing. Unless they initially attributed the injury to something natural, and were just in a desperate rush to get him help.

I’m not sure what you mean about there being no injury when the parents left because they took him to the hospital. Left from where? I don’t think we know enough about the injury or the circumstances to know that only NV could have caused it and that the injury must have been caused very recently.
Yes, these are the details and questions that investigators and the defense absolutely must make clear.

MOD NOTE: from Rules - Etiquette & Information

"VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their social media, personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them."

Has there been any more facts given regarding the baby who is still with us but had g*****l injuries? I can't even bring myself to type it. How did those happen under Virzi's watch?
:(
I have been unable to find any further information. It’s very sad, and obviously physicians and law enforcement believe the injuries to be inflicted by NV as abuse. What counter information may emerge remains to be seen.

Last edited:
And it would seem that none of these will be forthcoming until she goes to trial. Would such facts be stated if she takes a plea deal, I wonder?
Good question. From the press, her attorney sounds very aggressive regarding the not guilty plea with the standard, 'we look forward to our day in court to prove our client not guilty' type statement. I know we're all waiting for more info. It's so hard waiting. This case is so unusual...and heartbreaking.

And it would seem that none of these will be forthcoming until she goes to trial. Would such facts be stated if she takes a plea deal, I wonder?
Just asking. I don't know how to see the idea of her being offered a plea deal, nor the answers to my own questions.

Why would they offer her a plea deal? Several people here have mentioned "if she takes a plea deal". The state has to offer one though, and other than to save court costs, what would the state get from offering her a plea deal?

Sometimes they ask the victim's family if they would agree to the state offering one. What if the twin's parents (and that large group of family, friends, & community that showed up for the hearing) express adamantly not wanting her to get a plea deal?

Leon should not be dead, and he is not going to be forgotten no matter how many years go by. Losing a child or a twin sibling is not ever forgotten really. If asked, the parents may not go along with her getting a plea deal. They trusted her with their infants, and she is alleged to have purposely abused both babies, in essence alleged murder of one.

There were one twin's mysterious genital injuries that sent the parents rushing to the hospital. And, coincidentally, then... the other twin ends up dead. If it can be proven that NV intentionally struck that precious baby in the head, ... then I don't think a plea deal or even a bench trial is sufficient Justice. Wondering what the thoughts are on this.

Well, at this point, her attorney made it sound like she'd enter a not guilty plea and this would go to trial. I wonder how this is going to go. ALL MOO

Just asking. I don't know how to see the idea of her being offered a plea deal, nor the answers to my own questions.

Why would they offer her a plea deal? Several people here have mentioned "if she takes a plea deal". The state has to offer one though, and other than to save court costs, what would the state get from offering her a plea deal?

Sometimes they ask the victim's family if they would agree to the state offering one. What if the twin's parents (and that large group of family, friends, & community that showed up for the hearing) express adamantly not wanting her to get a plea deal?

Leon should not be dead, and he is not going to be forgotten no matter how many years go by. Losing a child or a twin sibling is not ever forgotten really. If asked, the parents may not go along with her getting a plea deal. They trusted her with their infants, and she is alleged to have purposely abused both babies, in essence alleged murder of one.

There were one twin's mysterious genital injuries that sent the parents rushing to the hospital. And, coincidentally, then... the other twin ends up dead. If it can be proven that NV intentionally struck that precious baby in the head, ... then I don't think a plea deal or even a bench trial is sufficient Justice. Wondering what the thoughts are on this.

Well, at this point, her attorney made it sound like she'd enter a not guilty plea and this would go to trial. I wonder how this is going to go. ALL MOO

You’re right. I guess I’m so used to the idea of plea deals — to save costs and to ensure some type of conviction— that I forgot that they can be withheld or denied. See image below from articles about the effects of excessive plea bargaining in the U.S. court system:

IMG_3801.jpeg

I mentioned plea deal, as I see little hope of any defense getting a jury to buy that this was an accident. With a plea deal, we will likely hear more detail, but terms of the plea may keep some of it confidential.

Perhaps they will try to say someone else caused the injuries that killed this child. If defense proceeds to trial with an accident theory, a bench trial might be a better choice, where the judge will be less emotional and stick to matters of law. A jury will hear the details of Leon’s injuries and fatality and the amount of force it would take to cause multiple skull fractures. And there may be more we have not yet heard. They will be overwhelmed with emotion and compassion for the parents.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back