Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question but if Amish don’t have electricity then how do they charge the mobile phones that some reportedly own ( but aren’t supposed to)

Ammonia based cooling systems for milk were outlawed a while back, so many Amish dairy farmers were forced to have electricity in their barns (but not in their house). Some barns also have a little building on the outside wall, about the size of a closet, where a hard line phone is located for business and emergencies. Most of these predate cell phones. Most Amish wood working, shed building, harness and other shops (sometimes in barns) have electricity.

Most Amish run propane generators and inverters to make electricity. If they buy a property with electric, they have a year to remove it or disconnect it from the house. They can keep the electricity in the barn if it is used for business and have a phone there as well. Many have a “phone booth” type building that gets manned, usually by one the the children for a couple hours a day. They might have someone at the booth from 7-9 a.m. and from 3-5 p.m. for business purposes. Cell phones are very common these days.

Most Amish run propane generators and inverters to make electricity. If they buy a property with electric, they have a year to remove it or disconnect it from the house. They can keep the electricity in the barn if it is used for business and have a phone there as well. Many have a “phone booth” type building that gets manned, usually by one the the children for a couple hours a day. They might have someone at the booth from 7-9 a.m. and from 3-5 p.m. for business purposes. Cell phones are very common these days.
One Amish family I used to call had an answering set-up, I think it was voicemail through the phone company, where you pushed a number to speak to Amos, one to speak to Becky, and one to speak to “Lavinia, our tenant.” Lol. The message also said they’d call back during “phone hours” and to let them know what you’d prefer, some ungodly hour in the morning or 6-8 in the evening.

Amish are resourceful about working technology into their lives. I know bishops vary in what they allow, but I’ve heard of some benevolent bending of the rules for people who have atypical situations. I think it comes down to whether the primary goal is to glorify God or to preserve the traditional Amish way of life.

Stupid question but if Amish don’t have electricity then how do they charge the mobile phones that some reportedly own ( but aren’t supposed to)

This case has me researching the Amish and their way of life.

Amish use of electricity:

What do Amish use electricity for?
Though Amish abstain from using public power, most Amish do not see problems with using electric power in limited ways. Taking a practical approach, Amish use electricity for a variety of purposes, including:

• home lighting-Amish use a variety of means including lamps powered by batteries and natural gas
  • operating appliances such as washing machines-Amish women rely on some time-saving appliances
  • powering equipment in a business-Amish produce electricity and other forms of power using diesel generators
  • providing light while traveling by buggy-lighting at night is crucial for buggy safety

Amish and cell phones:

Amish are known to reject telephones in the home. Yet in recent years, the image of an Amishman speaking on a cellphone is an increasingly common sight. In reality, the Amish approach to telephones is a complicated one, taking in a variety of practices.

Regardless of how an individual Amish church district may choose to handle telephones via its Ordnung (Order), many Amish agree that phones are a necessary tool. Whether maintaining ties with a distant sibling, keeping in contact with customers or suppliers, or checking weather reports, Amish find the telephone indispensable in both business and social realms.

https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-electricity/

https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-telephones/

JMVHO.

Last edited:
That’s not even that close to where Linda lives. Odd that they would search out there. It is 25 miles away and 40 minutes drive time.

Jerrie Dean did a You Tube video on Linda and her research. She had checked Craig's List and there was an advertisement from someone Looking to Meet an Amish or Mennonite Woman. Their location was Honeybrook which would be where Cupola Rd is. Jere thought this was very interesting information in light of Linda being missing. She said she sent the tip to the police and the family.

Jerrie Dean did a You Tube video on Linda and her research. She had checked Craig's List and there was an advertisement from someone Looking to Meet an Amish or Mennonite Woman. Their location was Honeybrook which would be where Cupola Rd is. Jere thought this was very interesting information in light of Linda being missing. She said she sent the tip to the police and the family.
Keep in mind, Lancaster County has a very large Amish presence and is known for that, a post like that may not be atypical for the area... Craigslist is weird and creepy. I HIGHLY doubt Linda would be responding to craigslist ads! Just a creepy guy with a weird fantasy or joke. Check out craigslist, there is all sorts of weird stuff on there.

No call out today. From what I can tell, LE is not currently organizing searches. I was told by neighbors that there are volunteer searches going on, no idea who is organizing them. Two I am aware of are outside of the area she went missing. Still trying to find out why they are searching those areas. One is Chestnut Tree Road and Cupola Road off of RT 82 near Struble Lake.

I live about a mile from this area. The Amish farmer nearby was requesting permission from property owners to allow a team to search the area. The Brandywine Creek runs along Cupola and then Creek Road on the other side of 82.

I live about a mile from this area. The Amish farmer nearby was requesting permission from property owners to allow a team to search the area. The Brandywine Creek runs along Cupola and then Creek Road on the other side of 82.

I immediately wondered why they would be searching this specific area. It is not at all close to Bird-In-Hand. It is a good 40 minute drive. I surmise that it may be due to the Honey Brook Craig's listing that what found. The addresses less than a mile west of this area are Honey Brook zip codes.

This is a long long shot,are the sure she left the farm/church?

Maybe it's my suspicious nature, but I have wondered the same. It's the last place she was seen. Brings so many questions to mind. Did anyone leave church services at the same time as Linda? If so, what direction did they take? Who may have been unaccounted for several hours? Did anyone have scratches or bruises shortly after Linda was reported missing? Has any member of the congregation suddenly left town?

The Brandywine Creek is very popular for fishing and other activities. There are enough people living or involved in activities along it's entire length that I would suspect remains would be found in a short period of time.

Another thought is Marsh Creek State Park and Struble Lake.

I immediately wondered why they would be searching this specific area. It is not at all close to Bird-In-Hand. It is a good 40 minute drive. I surmise that it may be due to the Honey Brook Craig's listing that what found. The addresses less than a mile west of this area are Honey Brook zip codes.
I’m in a Facebook group, they appear to be searching in about an hour radius. The Amish community extends out to Chester County both around 30 miles East to Honey Brook and 30 miles South to Oxford area (Estimates). From what it sounds like many Amish and Mennonite communities in “the area” (one hour radius) have been searching their properties. I’ve heard they were even searching in Maryland/ Delaware area (near Oxford). Amish have a strong sense of community and are always willing to help each other.

Maybe it's my suspicious nature, but I have wondered the same. It's the last place she was seen. Brings so many questions to mind. Did anyone leave church services at the same time as Linda? If so, what direction did they take? Who may have been unaccounted for several hours? Did anyone have scratches or bruises shortly after Linda was reported missing? Has any member of the congregation suddenly left town?
Or could something less nefarious have happened there at the farm or on the walk home? Copperhead snakes are common in the area and can be deadly. Bee stings are very dangerous for people with allergies. I realize these are rare occurrences, but whatever happened to her is not a common occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee