PA PA - Marise Chiverella, 9, Hazleton, 18 March 1964

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cold-case rape and murder suspect named | wnep.com
ffe79e16-346b-4b09-b02d-96f156d1def3_1140x641.jpg

Credit: WNEP
James Forte
''A key break in the case came from an 18-year-old student who developed a fascination with genealogy when he was 10 years old.

Eric Schubert was at the state police news conference to explain how he used genetic genealogy to help state police pinpoint the subject in the case.

"I was 18 years old when I started on this case and now, I'm 21. I've been working on this a long time," said Eric Schubert. "It's certainly something that will stick with me. I've been working on it my entire undergraduate career. We worked as a team and in the end, found the answers that everyone was looking for."

46AFBF4D-77C4-4E64-8B25-43C652B39C05.jpeg
“Tall, blue-eyed and handsome…”
I doubt Marise found him handsome.

“Loves to sleep…”
I wish he was asleep on March 18, 1964.

“Sports are his favorite — especially baseball…”
I guess preying on females is a sport to him.

“Future undecided…”
Well, we all know how that turned out.

I saw parts of the news conference. It appears that James Forte was also of Italian ancestry like i had predicted before. He was unknown to Marise and her family and it was a coincidence he met her that day. According to a relative, her brother Ronald I believe it was the first day she went to school alone so it was a typical crime of opportunity.

If I recall it correctly James Forte later went to jail in 1974 for a rape or attempted rape where he beat a woman really badly before it was disrupted by a bypasser. But it's uncertain whether he was charged for other major crimes but it wouldn't surprise me. He died of a heart attack in 1980.

I saw parts of the news conference. It appears that James Forte was also of Italian ancestry like i had predicted before. He was unknown to Marise and her family and it was a coincidence he met her that day. According to a relative, her brother Ronald I believe it was the first day she went to school alone so it was a typical crime of opportunity.

If I recall it correctly James Forte later went to jail in 1974 for a rape or attempted rape where he beat a woman really badly before it was disrupted by a bypasser. But it's uncertain whether he was charged for other major crimes but it wouldn't surprise me. He died of a heart attack in 1980.
Yes they said he did about a year's time - UGH!

This case has really punched me in the gut. I was the same age as Marise in March of 1964.
There's also this; she was described as a sweet girl who was learning how to play the organ and aspired to be a nun.
It's unfathomable how such innocent children can be so cruelly murdered. An awful mystery.

It's only a very small consolation that we know who did it. He won't answer in this world for his crime but there's always a judgment to come that cannot be avoided. That's my strong belief.
Rest in Peace, Marise...

Cold-case rape and murder suspect named | wnep.com
ffe79e16-346b-4b09-b02d-96f156d1def3_1140x641.jpg

Credit: WNEP
James Forte
''A key break in the case came from an 18-year-old student who developed a fascination with genealogy when he was 10 years old.

Eric Schubert was at the state police news conference to explain how he used genetic genealogy to help state police pinpoint the subject in the case.

"I was 18 years old when I started on this case and now, I'm 21. I've been working on this a long time," said Eric Schubert. "It's certainly something that will stick with me. I've been working on it my entire undergraduate career. We worked as a team and in the end, found the answers that everyone was looking for."

It must be incredible for the work that you do to have such an important impact. I’m sure Mr Schubert is going to solve many more cases throughout his career. Marise’s family must be extremely grateful that the monster who took her life has been uncovered. He probably went to his grave believing the evil secret of what he had done to Marise would die with him but the monsters alive today can no longer believe the same thanks to the dedication of Genealogists like Mr Schubert.

I'm glad to read this crime was solved. The killer dying young probably saved other women and girls from similar fates. It is possible he could be responsible for other similar crimes, of course, beyond what is known. It's interesting that he just collapsed at the bar where he worked from an apparent heart attack, when he was only 38, and at least in his high school year book photo, wasn't overweight or anything. If someone could find his death certificate, I'd be interested in reading it.

He actually, at one point, lived across the street from the cemetery where Marise was buried at, ''He had an address of 118 W. 14th St., in the 1960s and 1970s, according to newspaper articles detailing two vehicle crashes in which he was involved. That would have been directly across the street from the cemetery where Chiverella is buried. But Forte also lived around the corner at 745 N. Laurel St., and in a trailer at 770 N. Laurel St. The trailer was damaged in a fire in September 2003.'' From this very informative news article Pa. state police name assailant in 1964 homicide of 9-year-old Hazleton girl; he was 22 at time and died in 1980

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06
Back