Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the odd one out here but I've never believed M's story. I guess we'll find out next week. Kids from prominent families can be abused too. Hoping his parents are still alive to face prosecution. They would definitely be in their 80's or 90's but it's a possibility.
You’re not alone. I never believed it either. Idk it could be true but Im always skeptical. think it would have been easy to get details from news as for the baked beans it could have been something she overheard at the police station while waiting to give info or it’s possible they could have been careless and left a file laying out & papers sticking out and also it was winter time & that is when most make baked beans or it could have just been beans. Close neighbors said they never saw a boy & dismissed M’s story. I also wonder what type of mental illness she was supposed to have had

Snipped and bbm.
A doctor would have known if they'd treated him prior to his death, though ?
Would have been an important clue.
LE could have taken his photo around various hospitals in that state and inquired about him ?
I'm surprised it's taken this long to figure out who he was.
My understanding is that they did take his pic to local drs and also sent out his flyer w/pic inside utility bills when they were sent out

At the end of the day, he will be recognised as existing! But sadly as with a lot of these cases, he was loved and cherished more in death as an unknown child by strangers all around the world, just not by his own flesh and blood. We can only speculate and imagine what this little boy went through physically and emotionally in life. Somehow it seems wrong to put his real name on his headstone, hear me out, obviously his name was given by those that did not care for or even want him! That name is linked to his misery and death. Maybe there is a way to give him a posthumous name and identity to put on his grave that shows that people, even strangers, loved him dearly.
I don't give a rats you know what who this prominent family is, they deserve to be named and shamed and then lost in obscurity to history! They deserve no second thought!
I have to disagree which is ok because we all see things differently
He deserves his name back -his real name. Yes it may have been given by ppl who did not care for him like they should have but it is still his name. Many ppl have had abusive parents but their name is part of their identity same as his was. It was the name he knew in life & he deserves to keep it in death. Once we are gone & out kids/grandkids gone or born after we are gone & everyone forgets us-that is all to show we ever existed

You’re not alone. I never believed it either. Idk it could be true but Im always skeptical. think it would have been easy to get details from news as for the baked beans it could have been something she overheard at the police station while waiting to give info or it’s possible they could have been careless and left a file laying out & papers sticking out and also it was winter time & that is when most make baked beans or it could have just been beans. Close neighbors said they never saw a boy & dismissed M’s story. I also wonder what type of mental illness she was supposed to have had
I absolutely agree. I've never believed M's story.

The "Boy in the Box" is the name given to an unidentified murder victim, 3 to 7 years old, whose naked, battered body was found in a cardboard box in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on February 25, 1957. He is also commonly called "America's Unknown Child."

Discovery of the body​

In February 1957, the boy's body, wrapped in a plaid blanket, was found in the woods off Susquehanna Road in Fox Chase, Philadelphia. The naked body was inside a cardboard box which had once contained a bassinet of the kind sold by J. C. Penney. The boy's hair had been recently cropped, possibly after death, as clumps of hair clung to the body. There were signs of severe malnourishment, as well as surgical scars on the ankle and groin, and an L-shaped scar under the chin.

The body was first discovered by a young man who was checking his muskrat traps. Fearing that the police would confiscate his traps, he did not report what he had found. A few days later, a college student spotted a rabbit running into the underbrush. Knowing that there were animal traps in the area, he stopped his car to investigate and discovered the body. He too was reluctant to have any contact with the police, but he did report his find the following day...

LINK:

if it was as simple as SIDS, he wouldn't have appeared beaten bruised and emaciated...
Ita.
In the plaster cast in the linked post #606 ; his cheekbones are very prominent, and eyes look sunken.

Not the usual appearance of a boy in that age group.

Imo.

The "Boy in the Box" is the name given to an unidentified murder victim, 3 to 7 years old, whose naked, battered body was found in a cardboard box in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on February 25, 1957. He is also commonly called "America's Unknown Child."

Discovery of the body​

In February 1957, the boy's body, wrapped in a plaid blanket, was found in the woods off Susquehanna Road in Fox Chase, Philadelphia. The naked body was inside a cardboard box which had once contained a bassinet of the kind sold by J. C. Penney. The boy's hair had been recently cropped, possibly after death, as clumps of hair clung to the body. There were signs of severe malnourishment, as well as surgical scars on the ankle and groin, and an L-shaped scar under the chin.

The body was first discovered by a young man who was checking his muskrat traps. Fearing that the police would confiscate his traps, he did not report what he had found. A few days later, a college student spotted a rabbit running into the underbrush. Knowing that there were animal traps in the area, he stopped his car to investigate and discovered the body. He too was reluctant to have any contact with the police, but he did report his find the following day...

LINK:

I am surprised that that was still being recommended in 2000! The research connecting crib death to babies' sleeping on their stomachs was well established by the early '90s. I guess it takes a while for research to be disseminated amongst the professional community.

Crib Death Risk Tied to Sleeping on Stomach
My daughter was born in 2000 and back to sleep was huge here. All moms I knew at the time put their babies on their back to sleep. Well a few didn't because they said their babies wouldn't sleep that way, but they knew that's how it was supposed to be done. So the information was well out there here in the U.S.

Who is the older man pictured to the right of him? TIA
I read through the entire link and he's not identified ?
I was thinking may he's the one who made the plaster cast ?

Interesting link as I didn't know a cast (aka 'death mask') had been made !
The poor little guy looks thinner in the cast, than in his pics.
:(
M00.

Ita.
In the plaster cast in the linked post #606 ; his cheekbones are very prominent, and eyes look sunken.

Not the usual appearance of a boy in that age group.

Imo.
He was very malnourished, but the eyes were sunken that deeply due to postmortem changes. He was possibly out in that wood in the box for weeks. You can see sunken eyes on Somerton Man's cast, too, and he was found within hours of death. We don't know how long it was between discovery and the cast being made for either of them, but I think in Somerton Man's case, the cast was made because the body was deteriorating and they wanted it to show potential family after the body's burial.

MOO

I have to disagree which is ok because we all see things differently
He deserves his name back -his real name. Yes it may have been given by ppl who did not care for him like they should have but it is still his name. Many ppl have had abusive parents but their name is part of their identity same as his was. It was the name he knew in life & he deserves to keep it in death. Once we are gone & out kids/grandkids gone or born after we are gone & everyone forgets us-that is all to show we ever existed
I totally agree, I me never meant any disrespect. I myself come from an abusive background, in several "homes", in fact after my Mum passed away, the physical abuse was so bad, my Dad went to prison for what he did to myself and my siblings. When I was a teenager I wanted to change my name so badly thinking I could erase the past and ease my pain. My musing about not having his given name on his headston, probably has more to do with my unresolved issues and feelings. I'm glad for your comment to put a different perspective on it! It was no way meant to erase or diminish who he was in life...

I totally agree, I me never meant any disrespect. I myself come from an abusive background, in several "homes", in fact after my Mum passed away, the physical abuse was so bad, my Dad went to prison for what he did to myself and my siblings. When I was a teenager I wanted to change my name so badly thinking I could erase the past and ease my pain. My musing about not having his given name on his headston, probably has more to do with my unresolved issues and feelings. I'm glad for your comment to put a different perspective on it! It was no way meant to erase or diminish who he was in life...
I am so sorry you endured all of that. :(

Attachments

• Rem Bristow The_Daily_American_Tue__Feb_19__1980_.jpg
    Rem Bristow The_Daily_American_Tue__Feb_19__1980_.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 46
Point number one: in this case sadly it would make a lot of sense jmo, there were signs of mistreatment.

Point number 2: I never knew it had a name, it was pointed out to drs and health visitors etc and I was told not to worry that it would sort itself out. I suspect I was placed on my stomach as that's how I sleep.
Babies that this happens to are primarily premies who are stuck in ICU for a significant amt of the first weeks of their lives.
I know what you mean about "off shapes" from sleeping or being stuck in a swing. However, since premies have delayed head control etc, they are most at risk. I would see elongated heads all the time when I worked in ICU. It's universal.
A normal term infant is up and alert much of the day, regardless of their sleep position. Other children at risk are those with significant development delays.
The post mortem photos are where you see this on this child, not on the composites/recons.

I've returned to this case over and over again. He breaks my heart. I know somewhere I've seen his post mortem pictures and the bruises on his body, especially his little legs, are horrific. I wish he could have been loved and and cherished like all children should be. I don't know... having had little boys of my own, I just have such a visceral reaction to those pictures. There is one of his body in the box before they removed it from the woods and that image is burned into my memory. He was just so little and vulnerable.

I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I'm happy you are getting your name back. I pray you are resting in blissful peace and if justice for you is possible, may it come quickly now.

Why did they announce this an entire week ahead of time?
Notice was given to the media by one or the other party whilst someone else was in charge of coordinating travel schedules that each person was available for the presser. That's how these things happen with such large cases. There's not one person in charge of every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1