Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:blowkiss: Oh I am completely with you and have been since I started digging into his case-if you go back into the thread DR, you will see where I started digging into ethnic burial rituals to see if that explained the washing and haircut. I found an obscure sect of Judaism that migrated to the Philly area in the 40's and 50's and thought that this might be an answer-then I was told by someone close to the case that one of the detectives had explored that avenue as well in the 60's-talk about reinventing the wheel,lol!!!

Hi Beleive09,

I am so pleased that I am not alone on this one... I did feel raising my head and saying what I did might have given people cause to feel upset and send me some non too polite comments back.

I think it is all too easy to jump on the same bandwagon and say he was tortored or beaten to death... but the evidence contradicts this theory!

I am sorry if this offends peoples theorys... but he was LOVED... we can only try and understand why he was left the way he was.

But he was washed and cleaned... almost ready for a burial... but something happend and this never occured...

What was the social aspect at the time... was there plenty of work in the area...

I am looking at this case from accross the sea's and can only read and find so much information... but someone living in the area at the same time might understand what the social climate was like far better than me...

Sorry for my ignorance but does anyone know the cause of death on the death cert.?:crazy:

IIRC in David Stout's book it is listed as blunt force trauma to the head. I keep going back to the 360 degrees we have of him online and in print and cannot see where this is the case-BUT of course one of the original detectives would carry the XRAYS of his head and a plaster cast of his face in his suitcase, so there must be something to it...I wish some of that would be made public, but I suppose if VIDOQ cannot dispel this as a COD, then myself as an armchair detective could not either.

I would love to see if they could do some genetic testing to see if he had hemophilia or leukemia or something else....

Don't get me wrong... I feel leaving him in the box the way they did was wrong, but I do feel that they were on route to bury the child somewhere more private when perhaps they got disturbed... or just got too scared...

What were the feelings at the time towards the immigrants by the police or local community... if it was an accidental death... could they have feared going to the police?

Are we sure that what they presumed was a blunt force trauma to the head, was in fact just lividity, I think we can all safely say that due to the lividity marks being fixed the boy had been dead for at least 12 hours...

How many murders would they have seen back then... I imagine to even find one was pretty rare back then!

All good points-I do believe in my heart that there was a natural fear of the police in the immigrant community-Filly can speak a little more to that when she hops back onto the thread.

I do not believe that they thought the child was trash-I think that they were frightened or unsure of what to do with him so left him. Vashley ( I think??) and I had an animated discussion regarding whether or not the bruising across his forehead were fingerprints or from ECT-I have to believe that the autopsy photos of his brain might give a clue to whether or not he was being treated with ECT.

Don't get me wrong... I feel leaving him in the box the way they did was wrong, but I do feel that they were on route to bury the child somewhere more private when perhaps they got disturbed... or just got too scared...

What were the feelings at the time towards the immigrants by the police or local community... if it was an accidental death... could they have feared going to the police?

Are we sure that what they presumed was a blunt force trauma to the head, was in fact just lividity, I think we can all safely say that due to the lividity marks being fixed the boy had been dead for at least 12 hours...

How many murders would they have seen back then... I imagine to even find one was pretty rare back then!

I was a child during that era, in the next state, and health care was definitely NOT the nighmare it has become. Almost everyone could get fixed up without breaking the bank; therefore, it would have been within the reach of almost everyone to take proper care of your child - even burial arrangements.

As for how many murders back then, well, being in proximity to Philadelphia, I'd venture a guess that the police were somewhat knowledgable, BUT, not in the way they are today. Back then NO police force had the tools, or understanding, of today's criminal procedures. By today's standards it was very primitive, at best.

I like your idea of an immigrant child, not sure it's true, but I like it. To me the child has always looked to be of pure German or Scandanavian descent. However, that was at the tail-end of the great immigration and many families still held almost pure genetics. It would be hard to tell how long the family had been in this country. When I was growing up there were still a FEW immigrants coming into the area but not nearly as many who had almost entirely settled the area in the preceeding 40-50 years. Many, if not most of our neighborhood, and neighboring ones, was composed of immigrant families from a variety of European nations. Even so, a FEW were still straggling in. My grandfather, who spoke several languages, often helped them to settle in.

I remember hearing stories about the "odd" customs of our immigrant neighbors. For instance, the men who did the work, would eat well, and the women and children would dine on scraps or lesser cuts. Many of the immigrant men were used to lording it over women and would try exercising their "rights" in public by insulting or threatening women whom they felt did not show them proper respect.

All in all, it was an interesting time. Not sure I helped much, but thing were way different back then.

It's nice to have a more social understanding of events...

Where I live I did not see anyone from another country till my early teens... there where families in Birmingham that moved there during the 1960's, but that was 20 miles away and we had no need to venture into the city... late 1980's early 1990's it suddenly became more apparent especially when I started work and attended college on a regular basis in 1993.

It was like where the hell did these people come from....

I just want to 'jump in' and thank each of you for keeping this case ALIVE. Interesting posts...the more we talk and research the more likely someone will stumble upon this and we will get answers.

This is definitely one that haunts me.

Welcome Newbies! Nice to have new 'eyes'.

Dr. J.

WELCOMETOWSBLUE.gif

There are so many articles to read. So many theories. I am struck by the thought that he may have been presented as a girl. As I study the photos, the oval bruises on his forehead could have been the result of his eyebrows being forcibly plucked. They do appear to have been plucked to me. But why have him look like a girl-what reasons would there be for that? I haven't found anything yet about any searches for missing girls and I wonder if that was done at any length. Such a captivating story. Apparently I did just fall off the turnip wagon because I had not heard about this until I read this thread.

I just wanted to Bump this thread and also tell everyone that I live in the Philly area and on KYW1060 (news radio) I heard a little thing about the vigil for the little boy. I didn't catch it in full since I was in my car driving and mostly had the radio on for traffic reports and background noise. At least he is getting some media attention. I am going to go back and dig throught the thread to see if there is anything posted on the time and date for this vigil, I would like to attend if possible. Lets hope that some answers are found for him.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Vigil/Memorial Service for America’s Unknown Child
February 25, 2009 will mark the 52nd anniversary of the discovery of America's Unknown Child, originally known as The Boy in the Box.

With the help of Louise Holmburg (www. myspace. com/findlorne), we are organizing a vigil/memorial service to be held for the little boy at the Ivy Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia, PA on February 25, 2009.

I am beyond ecstatic that I will finally have the opportunity after all these years, to visit his gravesite and pay my respects. Louise and I are getting many positive responses from people who have an emotional attachment to this little boy's plight and it is our hope that many will join us for the service.

It is also our hope that we will have plenty media coverage and that our boy and his unsolved case will get back out there in the public's eye.

This little boy deserves a name.

Thank you!
***Edited to add: This undertaking is in the preliminary stages; as we have more information and a finalization of our plans, it will be posted.***

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=393302787&blogID=422062315

Having trained in Psych nursing, I have never seen or heard of ECT causing marks like that, but who knows what went on:confused:

OOOOO-I have a question-can you tell by the brain if someone has had ECT? I mean is it more withered, etc...am I making any sense?

Here is the article I found on KYW106's website if anyone is interested in regards to the vigil that was held today. At first when I heard it on the radio I thought they were referring to the vigil in February. The article has a picture of his grave, I am happy to see so many people gathered there and that he does have a proper burial although no name :(

http://www.kyw1060.com/-Boy-in-a-Box--Honored-with-10-Year-Anniversary-Ce/3298547

Here is the article I found on KYW106's website if anyone is interested in regards to the vigil that was held today. At first when I heard it on the radio I thought they were referring to the vigil in February. The article has a picture of his grave, I am happy to see so many people gathered there and that he does have a proper burial although no name :(

http://www.kyw1060.com/-Boy-in-a-Box--Honored-with-10-Year-Anniversary-Ce/3298547

Thanks Julespa! So, they had one today and will have another in Feb??

Picture from Julespa link:

1108383.jpg

Wow, I've been gone too long and I don't know where to begin.

First and foremost, Filly, thank you very much for the reminder about Sam Weinstein. I have added his name to my myspace page.

I have contacted KWY1060 to let them know about the next vigil and requested that they give it some coverage. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

I am also in contact with a friend who is a journalist in Harrisburg. Hopefully she will help me out as far as getting the word out about this vigil.

As an aside, I wanted to address Dr. Jimmy's posts concerning the cause of death. When I spoke to Bill Kelly, he told me that this child did in fact die from head trauma. I just don't see the natural causes theory here. But, I guess anything is possible. Mr. Kelly did tell me to continue to have hope; that the case is active in the Philadelphia PD and they are investigating a new lead. That was all he would tell me.

Ok, so now I am off to pm Parker.

Ok, this kind of freaked me out, and I would appreciate anyone's opinion...

I received this message on my myspace regarding AUC:

Hello Nancy,

I am a team member of the Worldwide Missing Persons Search page, and only wish to offer help with what I hear. I offer this thru my heart for any help it may bring to you in your search and for comfort in your heart for such a dear little lad. I do not see the names, I hear them, and so spelling may be variant of actual. I have not been familiar with this photo before, and only share what I see, hear and feel. I wish to thank you for the fine and fitting tribute that has been gifted this child, as they are truly our greatest gifts from God.

Name or Names Heard with location:

Timothy Algers (child)
Fred Algers (father)
Hear a name Amee Ann Algers, but not sure of relation (mother, sister, relative)

I hear Military and Authoritarian figure, if searching within records for this may help.

I pray that this may help the quest for the caring memory of this child, on behalf of the Worldwide Missing Persons Search team...

Love In Light,

~ Crystal

The temptation to bring this to the authority's attention is there, but I don't know how they would receive it. And, the military part intrigues me...Would there be a way to research military records on this child's possible father and can a connection be made, especially since there is a bust made up of what the child's father may have looked like.

Ok, this kind of freaked me out, and I would appreciate anyone's opinion...

I received this message on my myspace regarding AUC:

Hello Nancy,

I am a team member of the Worldwide Missing Persons Search page, and only wish to offer help with what I hear. I offer this thru my heart for any help it may bring to you in your search and for comfort in your heart for such a dear little lad. I do not see the names, I hear them, and so spelling may be variant of actual. I have not been familiar with this photo before, and only share what I see, hear and feel. I wish to thank you for the fine and fitting tribute that has been gifted this child, as they are truly our greatest gifts from God.

Name or Names Heard with location:

Timothy Algers (child)
Fred Algers (father)
Hear a name Amee Ann Algers, but not sure of relation (mother, sister, relative)

I hear Military and Authoritarian figure, if searching within records for this may help.

I pray that this may help the quest for the caring memory of this child, on behalf of the Worldwide Missing Persons Search team...

Love In Light,

~ Crystal

The temptation to bring this to the authority's attention is there, but I don't know how they would receive it. And, the military part intrigues me...Would there be a way to research military records on this child's possible father and can a connection be made, especially since there is a bust made up of what the child's father may have looked like.

Interesting thoughts. I wonder if anything came of it, or if they were original suspects or people questioned.

This one of the saddest stories I've ever heard. Such a beautiful boy. I hope someone comes forward with some information that will solve this case once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimimaria