Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruno looks a lot like the photo of the man seen that may have been the boy's father or the person who dumped the body at least. The only difference is in the nose, and that could be because the person who saw him didn't see him clearly enough to get the nose right. If you killed either your own child or a child in your care at a world renowned school, would you want the body to show up anywhere near your school? I mean, his school had a reputation to uphold. It would have taken him about 14 hours via the train to get to Philadelphia. It would have taken him another 14 hours to get back. Or he could have driven... Driving would actually only take about 12 hours if traffic wasn't terrible.... Just a thought.

Wow and Bruno had a tie to the area via a student. Didn't say when the guy was a student. Very interesting.

Bruno looks a lot like the photo of the man seen that may have been the boy's father or the person who dumped the body at least. The only difference is in the nose, and that could be because the person who saw him didn't see him clearly enough to get the nose right. If you killed either your own child or a child in your care at a world renowned school, would you want the body to show up anywhere near your school? I mean, his school had a reputation to uphold. It would have taken him about 14 hours via the train to get to Philadelphia. It would have taken him another 14 hours to get back. Or he could have driven... Driving would actually only take about 12 hours if traffic wasn't terrible.... Just a thought.

But, wouldn't the parents be questioning where their child was, why he was no longer there? Surely, they would've reported him missing! Unless, the child's parents no longer cared or were not in the picture anymore.
It also seems to me that everyone who received "abuse" is still alive.....
Sounds like an evil person, nonetheless...

I read that Bruno abused and frightened both staff AND parents of the children staying there. Could they have been too afraid to question him or to call the authorities? Also, at the time he was one of the most elite authorities on children with autism. No one questioned him or his methods, and everyone at the time respected him. If we are dealing with uneducated or foreign to our country parents, they may have just let it go.

Also, all of the abused children are alive as far as we know. But how many others may have been abused and not survived the torture? And than there would be no one around to tell us what happened? Can we perhaps get in touch with one of these children who were abused and find out if sometimes children disappeared or "went home" in the middle of the night never to be seen again? If parents were too afraid or were told your child ran away, or something of that nature?

Also, all of the abused children are alive as far as we know. But how many others may have been abused and not survived the torture? And than there would be no one around to tell us what happened? Can we perhaps get in touch with one of these children who were abused and find out if sometimes children disappeared or "went home" in the middle of the night never to be seen again? If parents were too afraid or were told your child ran away, or something of that nature?

Who was the author of that article? They or their publisher might investigate that angle.... Do you have a link for the story? If, so, I would be willing to e-mail or write them and ask them to do that, ask questions or interview the survivors, again.....

Going back through this thread I noticed several posts regarding "M" and whether or not her story was believable in the eyes of LE. I just finished "The Boy In The Box" by David Stout, and what I got from his account of "M" and the investigation that followed her story, was that there was simply nothing to corroborate what she said. Yes, "M" mentioned that a passer-by had stopped to offer help when she and her mother were preparing to dump the body, but that was a detail of the case that came to light way back in 1957. She did not offer any information that only the killer (or witness to the murder and disposal) would have known.

People that knew her family and past neighbors never once saw a little boy at that residence. Which might be believable if he were actually kept in the basement for his short life, but then when did he have these numerous medical treatments and where?

The impression that I got from the book was that investigators really did try to pursue her story, but the end result was pretty much that nothing she said could be proved or disproved. I also gathered that they really gave her the benefit of the doubt, because she didn't fit the profile of your average "crazy" person. She is quite intelligent, holds various degrees in science and has a very good job. So I don't think she was written off due to presumed mental illness right off the bat.

Of course, I wasn't there to witness all of this, but I think the book did a pretty good job of explaining things. It cleared up a lot of questions I had about her and her account of what happened to the boy.

I just googled Frederick and I see that the family has contacted NY officials and they are in contact with PA officials on whether Frederick is possibly the boy in the box. Maybe just maybe it is him? The details seem to match up pretty good.

I am floored by this information. Hopeful too. Have the parents disclosed whether or not Freddie ever had surgery, which would account for AUC's surgical scars....

I wonder if Frederick was looked at as a possible match?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4109dmny.html
"I just googled Frederick and I see that the family has contacted NY officials and they are in contact with PA officials on whether Frederick is possibly the boy in the box. Maybe just maybe it is him? The details seem to match up pretty good."

Do you have a link with the above information on Frederick? I would be interested in reading it, but have come up with nothing! Thanks.

I have also been consumed by this case and review it often to see if any new tips or information has been found.

This little guy needs a name. I hope he gets that soon.

I emailed some questions about isotope analysis to a medical examiner that usually has time for my questions. I don't think there is enough to do that type of analysis considering the difficulty they had getting DNA, but he'll let me know what would be needed.

I believe the wrinkling was from him sitting in a tub with one arm hanging out, or it could have been a form of harsh discipline used by his caretakers. I can think of few things less pleasant than sitting with my feet and arm in water in February. Especially if it were outside. I doubt that he died of exposure, as I'm sure that would have been noted, instead of head trauma, but if it was a form of discipline, it wouldn't surprise me for someone capable of that to be capable of murder, as well.

I don't believe it was a kidnapper that took the boy from somewhere to kill him later. The washing, drying, trimming nails, putting him inside a box, covering him, all are signs of a maternal connection.

Regardless of what the coroner reports say, I think this boy was abused in a long term sense. Not all abuse leaves physical marks, and he was malnourished.

Just observations. I doubt there is a missing report and out of all the reports, I would consider the woman that contacted the police through her psychiatrist to be the most reliable, I feel there would have been more marks and permanently visible injuries on his body if her story were true. I think she might have somehow heard the other man's story, either through the grapevine or intentionally sought him out. And I still consider her the most reliable.
Personal opinion, the number of people that knew this boy during his life was very limited. Midwife that delivered him, his mother, maybe father, maybe grandparents, maybe a sibling or two. Other than that, I just feel he was someones secret.

Hi
I feel they may find thier answers with the Horsham suspects.

http://www.americasunknownchild.net/Archives5Text.html#fourq

http://www.americasunknownchild.net/Archives7Text.html#momq

http://americasunknownchild.net/Archives1Text.html#CSIBM

In the article mother of 9 quizzed,she was questioned bacause she looked like the lady near the car that was seen near the area of where the boy in the box was found.If you look closely she resembles the Horsham suspect lady.There is a boy in the Horsham suspect picture the may resemble the couple found near (lady and boy)the car near the area where the boy in the box was found.

I feel the little boy died getting his hair cut in the bath.He was fighting because he did not want his hair cut.I believe the autopsy said no old bruises?Did he change care takers or was he visiting someone.

I've been thinking about this little boy alot.Has there been any updates or any new leads on him.It's sad.I know we can find out who this little boy is and what happened to him.Has any one recently talked to LE about him and what's going on with his case.

Good points IMO, I posted this with hopes someone would know something. It's amazing the people that read these, you just never know. This case has haunted me for sometime. I think someone out there has info. I just pray they happen to come across this site or the actual site of The Boy in the Box.

I think one of the biggest clues is the box he was found in, if I remember correctly it was a bassett.

Has anyone ever checked to see if there are possibly any old records of furniture orders for that foster home? Or what about Bassett? Are they still in business today? Or, if not, would there be any records as far as the box goes, or the item that was in it? And someway to find old records for this company?
I agree on the time frame and the possible link to Frederick Andrew Holmes. No one who would have kidnapped a child and sold that child would have continued calling him by his birth given name. It's always possible that the kidnapper did change his name to Jonathon.
And another thought that stuck with me, isn't it rather odd also, that both Steven Craig Damman, and Frederick Andrew Holmes were kidnapped both from New York, same general age?

Update to original post:
Whoops, I found this:
http://www.americasunknownchild.net/Archives1Text.html#bbcim

Bassinet Box Clue in Murder Of Mystery Boy
Police Try to Trace 69th St. Buyer of Carton That Hid Body

Apparently, the police did try to track that pretty close to the time of finding the boy.

Going back through this thread I noticed several posts regarding "M" and whether or not her story was believable in the eyes of LE. I just finished "The Boy In The Box" by David Stout, and what I got from his account of "M" and the investigation that followed her story, was that there was simply nothing to corroborate what she said. Yes, "M" mentioned that a passer-by had stopped to offer help when she and her mother were preparing to dump the body, but that was a detail of the case that came to light way back in 1957. She did not offer any information that only the killer (or witness to the murder and disposal) would have known.

People that knew her family and past neighbors never once saw a little boy at that residence. Which might be believable if he were actually kept in the basement for his short life, but then when did he have these numerous medical treatments and where?

The impression that I got from the book was that investigators really did try to pursue her story, but the end result was pretty much that nothing she said could be proved or disproved. I also gathered that they really gave her the benefit of the doubt, because she didn't fit the profile of your average "crazy" person. She is quite intelligent, holds various degrees in science and has a very good job. So I don't think she was written off due to presumed mental illness right off the bat.

Of course, I wasn't there to witness all of this, but I think the book did a pretty good job of explaining things. It cleared up a lot of questions I had about her and her account of what happened to the boy.
I'd love to get my hands on that book. I did not know about it. TY for speaking about it here.

bumpity bump bump bump.

I inadvertently closed this thread( as a newbie mod) thinking a forum for this case existed in the way old WS archives? Thus far, I think I was wrong as we can't find a forum or thread for this case. We all make mistakes from time to time.

Unsure about this one being solved, but a fascinating mystery non the less.

Happy New Year Little one. You are always on my mind. How I would have loved to have been your Mommy, and kept you safe and warm. Praying one day you will have your name. Sweet dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member