PA - Philadelphia shootout, multiple officers shot, 14 August 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police say gunman in custody after at least 6 Philadelphia officers are shot, wounded
[...]

None of the officers sustained life-threatening injuries and they've been released from the hospital, Philadelphia police Sgt. Eric Gripp said.

"It's nothing short of a miracle that we don't have multiple officers killed today," said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross.

[...]

Many officers "had to escape through windows and doors to get (away) from a barrage of bullets," Ross said.

Shots were still being fired three hours later, police said, and officers returned fire.

Around 9:30 p.m., police said, a SWAT team freed the two officers who had been trapped inside, along with three people that officers took into custody before the shooting as part of the drug warrant. But the gunman remained barricaded for another couple hours.

[...]

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said its agents responded to the scene to assist Philadelphia police.

[...]

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said he was thankful that officers' injuries weren't life-threatening.

"I'm a little angry about someone having all that weaponry and all that firepower, but we'll get to that another day," Kenney said.

Doesn't sound like the lawyer actually entered the home, but spoke on the phone. (Maybe the lawyer was outside or nearby though, so "on site" but not in danger.)

"Police implored the gunman to surrender, at one point patching in his lawyer on the phone with him to try to persuade him to give up, Ross said.

'We're doing everything within our power to get him to come out,' Ross said during the standoff. 'He has the highest assurance he's not going to be harmed when he comes out.'"

Philadelphia gunman in custody after hourslong standoff

I understand that LE has a job to do, but I'm surprised that with career criminals like this that they don't wait until they leave the house and then ambush them.

David Koresh use to jog just about every day. IMO, if they had waited until he left his house and arrested him while he was jogging, maybe there would have been a different outcome.

Richard Kuklinski was arrested in a roadblock after LE waited for him to leaving his house.

Why is his shirt off?

@margarita25 LE probably cut the electricity to the house.

PS...With all the recent publicity surrounding Philadelphia being the epicenter of the drug epidemic on the entire East Coast, I hope this is a sign that LE is going to come down hard on these drug dealers.

I understand that LE has a job to do, but I'm surprised that with career criminals like this that they don't wait until they leave the house and then ambush them.

David Koresh use to jog just about every day. IMO, if they had waited until he left his house and arrested him while he was jogging, maybe there would have been a different outcome.

Richard Kuklinski was arrested in a roadblock after LE waited for him to leaving his house.
I hear ya, but in a neighborhood full of people, I think negotiation toward a quick resolution was the wise decision. This guy was clearly trigger happy and volatile, not someone with a daily routine to jog, ykwim? He was in a house so I'm assuming had access to food. Waiting it out would have been risky with his guns and also would have been disruptive to the neighborhood.

Tear gas can be used instead of guns and looks like it was effective in this case, in combination with negotiation, patience, and nerves of steel.

Level-headed thinking, skill, and peace prevailed. Whew.

jmo

So glad that no one died after such an intense standoff. I too am hopeful that this can create further productive discussion on assault type guns and ways to reduce drug use and traffic...

Videos at the link below

Philadelphia crowd TAUNTS police as six officers are shot and two held hostage by AK-47 gunman before he surrenders when SWAT team fires tear gas to end stand off

• Reporter on the scene tweeted about 'moment of disappointment' as crowd starting taunting officers
  • The suspect who shot six cops with an AK-47 finally surrendered to police just before 12.30am Thursday
  • A SWAT team shot tear gas into the home around midnight and the suspect walked out a short time later
  • Local Philadelphia media identified gunman as Maurice Hill, 36, but police have not confirmed his identity
  • Three people that cops had taken into custody in home before shooting began were safely evacuated at 10pm
  • Just before 9.30pm, SWAT members rescued two officers who had been held hostage since the ordeal began
  • The cops became trapped in the home during a drugs raid when the suspect started firing around 4.30pm
  • Gunman opened fire with what officers believe was an AK-47, prompting the ongoing standoff at the home
  • At least six cops were injured during the active shooter situation; they have non-life threatening injuries
  • The incident unfolded along the 3700 block of North 15th Street and lasted for nearly eight hours
  • Authorities said earlier on Wednesday that at least one suspect was taken into custody following the raid

Active shooter is holding two cops hostage inside a Philadelphia home after shooting SIX officers | Daily Mail Online

This post is not related to gun control, following TOS.

I wonder how this criminal, with a long history of violence, was able to obtain such a powerful weapon.

He definitely would not have passed any background checks.
The seller should be charged. I don't get into the gun issue, but are sellers tracked down and charged for selling illegally? I honestly don't know that angle.

Somebody is making big money off the illegal market that knowingly puts guns in the hands of criminals. Surely nobody here supports that.

jmo

The seller should be charged. I don't get into the gun issue, but are sellers tracked down and charged for selling illegally? I honestly don't know that angle.

Somebody is making big money off the illegal market that knowingly puts guns in the hands of criminals. Surely nobody here supports that.

jmo

They probably get them the same way they get their drugs. There's a whole system in place, and has been since the 1970's with the advent of the first heroin epidemic, that allows gangs which deal drugs to get whatever they want, whenever they want, by way of dealing in stolen goods. A very complex and well established underground system, which will never abide by any laws.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Askmetomorrow2
Back