PA PA - Philadelphia, WhtFemale UP446, 34-65, sorority key necklace "AZB" E. MATHIS, no head, found in trash bag mixed w/ soil, Dec'06

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.alphachi-azb.org/

Someone has worked on this, posting to Mathis threads on genealogy boards back in 2007.

I'm not on FaceBook, can someone post/ask here for us:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Azb-Sorority-Gamma-Beta-Chapter/104678799563682

Worked quite a bit (scroll down:)

http://boards.ancestry.mx/thread.as...northam.usa.states.mississippi.counties.perry

ETA: more information

It seems there were multiple threads happening here for this UID and lots of research was done already by WS members too (albeit with some different results). I have asked mods to merge them.

Came here thinking this would be solvable given the charm info, but it looks like things are rather circuitous here.

For those that don't know, wearing sorority letters that you haven't earned are a definite no-no. So as some one mentioned, this was likely picked up on the ground, at a rummage sale, etc...

Folks, there was a reply to the Ancestry Mathis family message board post:

Hello, I just stumbled across this cold case and your messages. I am wondering what information you have found so far and if you are still working on this case. I was able to track the family you speak of. Can you contact me.

October 6, 2013.

Anyone willing to follow up with that poster?

https://www.ancestry.mx/boards/loca...ississippi.counties.perry/413.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.2

General Case Information
Reporting Agency: Philadelphia MEO Contact: Suplee, Eugene Phone: 215-685-7445
Case Number: 06-5308 NCIC Number: Not Available Date Found: 12/08/2006
State Found: PA County Found: Philadelphia
Estimated Age: Adult - Pre 70 Minimum Age: 34 Maximum Age: 65
Race: White Sex: Female
Estimated Height: 66 inches Weight: 0 pounds

Case Details
Body Condition: Partial Skeleton Probable year of death: 2001 Post-Mortem Interval: 5 years
Address Found: 100 E. Tusculum St. Philadelphia, PA 19134

Skeletal Findings: arthritis on the lumbar vertibrae
Clothing With Body: The clothing is decayed and soil ridden
1). Thin, white torn clothing possibly from a blouse, skirt, or dress. No pattern, size, or brand grossly evident
2) Darker color nylon knee high stockings

Footwear: none
Jewelry: Yellow metal necklace and charm. The charm is a sorority key with missing stones and is inscripted with "AZB", E. MATHIS, Life Member June 2, 1946, Alpha Delta (See picture)

Eye Wear: none
Head Hair: Brown/Auburn

Body Hair: unknown
Facial Hair: unknown

Eye Color: unknown

Circumstances of Death:
Skeletal remains are found in a black plastic trash bag inside a vacant lot near Tusculum St. in the Kensington Section of Philadelphia. The remains are mixed in with soil and appear to have been dug up from another area and dumped. The head and small bones of the feet are missing. Some clothing and jewelry were also discovered within the bag. Also found were four red acrylic fingernails. The cause and manner are still pending.
Body Parts Inventory: Head Not Recovered

Categories Comments
Clothing on Body
Clothing with Body The clothing is decayed and soil ridden
1). Thin, white torn clothing possibly from a blouse, skirt, or dress. No pattern, size, or brand grossly evident
2) Darker color nylon knee high stockings
Footwear none
Jewelry Yellow metal necklace and charm. The charm is a sorority key with missing stones and is inscripted with "AZB", E. MATHIS, Life Member June 2, 1946, Alpha Delta (See picture)
Eye Wear none

LINK:
PAF061208

YES! Thank you so much. So it seems like the right Edna is the one who died in 1951. I was able to track down her son and his children, none of whom are missing. I'll work on nieces, maybe a sibling's child inherited the key.

Let me know if you need any other articles. I have the membership for all the newspaper articles.

I researched a similar case once before where a Jane Doe was found and believed to have been dug up. It was a Jane Doe in Carbon, Alberta that's still not solved. In my research of missing person cases, I have found at least four reasons why someone would be dug up after death:
  1. Exhumed for legal or scientific reasons. That didn't happen here because the kinds of people that exhume bodies legally put bodies back where they belong afterward.
  2. Someone wants to stage a death. People have dug up corpses in order to stage their own deaths before and collect insurance.
  3. People have dug up remains for necrophilia.
  4. People have unearthed remains because they were worried about a clandestine grave being discovered.
Did this Jane Doe have the presence of embalming fluid?

@UnlicensedPI I need you to double check me on something - I may be missing something. I thought I found Edna and her son both deceased on Findagrave. And who I think is the son, owned a funeral home according to his wife's more recent findagrave. I am pretty sure I have the correct people but don't want to post the links here in case I don't. The obituary for the son's wife (from 2013) that mentions his children might be worth contacting? I also wonder if the "key" was lost or donated and this UID ended up with it somehow and has no connection to E Mathis. I hope this all makes sense, I am way overdue for sleep lol

@UnlicensedPI I need you to double check me on something - I may be missing something. I thought I found Edna and her son both deceased on Findagrave. And who I think is the son, owned a funeral home according to his wife's more recent findagrave. I am pretty sure I have the correct people but don't want to post the links here in case I don't. The obituary for the son's wife (from 2013) that mentions his children might be worth contacting? I also wonder if the "key" was lost or donated and this UID ended up with it somehow and has no connection to E Mathis. I hope this all makes sense, I am way overdue for sleep lol
I found that as well. I was able to find E's grandchildren all on Facebook, so this UID isn't one of them. I was thinking a female relative may have inherited her jewelry since she only had a son and still have to research that, but it's possible this key was picked up at a pawnshop or second hand store. You're right that the UID could be completely unrelated to E.

E's sister Ella had a daughter, Dion, born in 1933. I've been having a hard time tracking down anything on her past the 1940 (Miami) census. Can anyone else find her?

Edit: Never mind, I found her wedding announcement. She's listed as Diane.

Last edited:
Hi @jarochlitz and welcome to Websleuths!

Cindy Song was much younger and quite a bit shorter than our Jane Doe is estimated to be. Jane Doe's race is listed as white.

In this case, Mathis refers to E. Mathis, the name of the sorority sister who received this key.

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP446

Case Information​

NCMEC Number: N/A
ME/C Case Number: 06-5308

Demographics​

Sex: Female
Race/Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre-70
Estimated Age Range (Years): 34-65
Estimated Year of Death: 2001-2006
Estimated PMI: 5 Years
Height: 5'6" (66 inches), estimated
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances​

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: December 8, 2006
NamUs Case Created: June 29, 2007
County: Philadelphia County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped): N/A
Found On Tribal Land: N/A
Circumstances of Recovery: Skeletal remains are found in a black plastic trash bag inside a vacant lot near Tusculum St. in the Kensington Section of Philadelphia. The remains are mixed in with soil and appear to have been dug up from another area and dumped. The head and small bones of the feet are missing. Some clothing and jewelry were also discovered within the bag. Also found were four red acrylic fingernails.
Inventory of Remains: Head not recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Physical Description​

Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: Brown/Auburn
Body Hair Description: Unknown
Facial Hair Description: Unknown
Left Eye Color: Unknown
Right Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Features: No information entered

Clothing and Accessories​

Clothing: The clothing is decayed and soil ridden
2) Darker color nylon knee high stockings (Near the Body)
Jewelry: Yellow metal necklace and charm. The charm is a sorority key with missing stones and is inscripted with "AZB", E. MATHIS, Life Member June 2, 1946, Alpha Delta (See picture)
446_1420.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx