PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't a murder as such, though an FBI agent was killed in a gun fight. It was a kidnapping. The area is basically a valley, the floor used for buildings or farms, with two tree covered ridges on either side.

It is just under 60 miles, by air, from Bellefonte, and about 75 miles by road.

Correction ( thanks, J.J. for pointing me in another direction).
Mel Wiley was in the process of writing a novel ( fiction) about a fictitious murder in Burnt Cabins, PA.
His unfinished work had nothing to do with a real murder, as J.J. has said.
But.. I did learn about another weird place in the US because of the info on his unfinished work. :)

A tiny but also rather eerie connection between Lewisburg, PA, and RFG.

I was doing some searching this AM to find out info on the Federal Prison which either still exists in Lewisburg, or used to be there. ( Franklin Floyd, the kidnapper and likely killer of Suzanne Marie Sevakis, who was known on WS for many years as " Sharon Marshall" spent time in the Lewisburg Federal Prison in the 1960's. I was reading to find out if any info ever surfaced on her son, Michael.)

While researching Lewisburg, in general, I learned that the settler of the town was also a missing person who was never located.
From Wikipedia: "The second mystery surrounding Lewisburg is the disappearance of its founder Ludwig Derr. After selling several lots of land, Derr set off for Philadelphia to sell additional lots. Shortly after arriving, records indicate some of his lots had sold. However, Ludwig Derr simply disappears from history in that city. Derr's son George went to Philadelphia to search for his father, but returned a short time later, unsuccessful."

I guess it wasn't too uncommon for a likely wealthy man on horseback or in a carriage to disappear somewhere between Philly and Lewisburg around 1785-1790 or so, but it's still another one of those weird co-incidences that come up when I look at the Gricar disappearance.

The Federal Prison is still there.

One of Ludwig Derr's descendants posts on this thread. :) His home, though greatly enlarged, still exists.

Lewisburg is not particularly different from other Central Pennsylvania college towns. Lock Haven, Huntingdon, Carlisle, Cresson, Indiana, Millersville, and Clarion, all have this "flavor." Some of them, such as Huntingdon and Cresson, have a prison nearby (as does State College).

There is a lot of history. Burnt Cabins, for example, has several building that are pre-Civil War. Students from what is now Bucknell University came down the river to defend Harrisburg during the 1863 Confederate Invasion of Pennsylvania. You can still see shrapnel damage from the Confederate bombardment of Carlisle.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to discuss anything related to the federal prison? To be honest, I have one of my horrid migraines which are related to the weather pressure ( used to be called barometric pressure, don't think there's a standard new name yet).
Because I'm running on like 4 brain cells, I really do not recall if we've ever discussed the prison or if there's any reason to do so. I mean, his job was to put guilty people in prison, not to visit them afterwards.. Judicial, not investigative, as we know, so I guess it's just one of those weird things that a tiny little town would house a federal prison for at least 50 years that I'm aware of.

Is there any reason to discuss anything related to the federal prison? To be honest, I have one of my horrid migraines which are related to the weather pressure ( used to be called barometric pressure, don't think there's a standard new name yet).
Because I'm running on like 4 brain cells, I really do not recall if we've ever discussed the prison or if there's any reason to do so. I mean, his job was to put guilty people in prison, not to visit them afterwards.. Judicial, not investigative, as we know, so I guess it's just one of those weird things that a tiny little town would house a federal prison for at least 50 years that I'm aware of.

It was a federal prison, so it is unlikely RFG would be there. He would not be able to just walk into a federal prison to talk to someone. He'd have to have scheduled a visit.

The Lewisburg Penitentiary (USP Lewisburg) where some of the Watergate figures were sent, is just up the road.

I hope you are feeling better.

One question in re: money- RFG obviously was a sports fan (based on the Cleveland Indians weekend). So was my father. My dad didn't play sports as an adult, but he definitely had his favorite teams. J.J., you described RFG as an introvert; my dad was a businessman; he was very good at what he did, and he was naturally charismatic- he could shoot the breeze seemingly effortlessly with clients, etc. However, he didn't talk about things that were important to him, or his feelings/emotions. So people who worked for him, and folks he interacted with (he was a beer distributor, so he regularly made the bar rounds) thought he was open and easygoing- in fact, when he opened a tap account at Happy Joe's, his employees and friends told the waitress it was his birthday, and they did the whole shebang on him- surrounding his table, singing, blowing horns, etc. When I heard about this, my reaction was, "He didn't kill them? He didn't even blow up? Are you KIDDING?!" I'm kind of side-tracking, but please bear with me. RFG, although younger than my father, always reminded me of my dad. My dad made good money, but he never went to Vegas, or played poker (or any card games) "with the boys." He did, however, bet on certain games with a small circle of friends/ aquaintances. Once I got a brief look at a small piece of paper he was using to chart/calculate bets on a game he was watching (I have no idea as to exactly what he was doing)- suffice to say, it wasn't penny ante stuff. Also, he wasn't into cars much, but he had an old pick-up truck he'd use occasionally; well, he had a custom wood topper made for the back in another country, and had it shipped here! Now, from what little I know about RFG, I'm wondering if he had any other interests besides cars that might have been costly. Or "connections" (not as in the mafia!) in other countries that would've allowed him to rationalize buying expensive "toys"- like getting things at wholesale rates, ergo being able to blow off shipping costs.
Sorry for rambling; but coming from a family in which I observed money at times being spent readily on things I never would've dreamed of, I've been curious about RFG.
Thanks for reading & for any responses!

One question in re: money- RFG obviously was a sports fan (based on the Cleveland Indians weekend). So was my father. My dad didn't play sports as an adult, but he definitely had his favorite teams. J.J., you described RFG as an introvert; my dad was a businessman; he was very good at what he did, and he was naturally charismatic- he could shoot the breeze seemingly effortlessly with clients, etc. However, he didn't talk about things that were important to him, or his feelings/emotions. So people who worked for him, and folks he interacted with (he was a beer distributor, so he regularly made the bar rounds) thought he was open and easygoing- in fact, when he opened a tap account at Happy Joe's, his employees and friends told the waitress it was his birthday, and they did the whole shebang on him- surrounding his table, singing, blowing horns, etc. When I heard about this, my reaction was, "He didn't kill them? He didn't even blow up? Are you KIDDING?!" I'm kind of side-tracking, but please bear with me. RFG, although younger than my father, always reminded me of my dad. My dad made good money, but he never went to Vegas, or played poker (or any card games) "with the boys." He did, however, bet on certain games with a small circle of friends/ aquaintances. Once I got a brief look at a small piece of paper he was using to chart/calculate bets on a game he was watching (I have no idea as to exactly what he was doing)- suffice to say, it wasn't penny ante stuff. Also, he wasn't into cars much, but he had an old pick-up truck he'd use occasionally; well, he had a custom wood topper made for the back in another country, and had it shipped here! Now, from what little I know about RFG, I'm wondering if he had any other interests besides cars that might have been costly. Or "connections" (not as in the mafia!) in other countries that would've allowed him to rationalize buying expensive "toys"- like getting things at wholesale rates, ergo being able to blow off shipping costs.
Sorry for rambling; but coming from a family in which I observed money at times being spent readily on things I never would've dreamed of, I've been curious about RFG.
Thanks for reading & for any responses!

GarandTeed, as far as I know, RFG was not observed or known by any of his friends to spend much money on anything. There's no known history of gambling or otherwise dropping large sums of money on any sport or betting.

Now, there is a friend of his who has said on one of the TV shows since RFG disappeared that Ray didn't have " much of a knack for investing" to put it mildly... This was mostly based on some naive questions RFG apparently asked when the topic was about the group's returns on their stocks and mutual funds and stuff.

I've never found that to be a valid reason to think he was some rube regarding investments, especially IF he was hiding assets in a rather questionable way ( 2 ways we've discussed in the past but cannot prove or disprove are 1) Offshore accounts and 2) Actually mailing large sums of cash to his family in Slovenia if he planned to one day move there. The family would have banked the money for him in absentia, of course.
I'd act naive too if I had a huge nest egg put away out of sight of the IRS. :)

As far as his living habits and spending money, all we really know are these things:

1) He and his first wife adopted Lara. The wife, Barbara, was very well educated and accepted a plum professorship at PSU. When Lara was young, Barbara earned more than Ray did.
At that time, Ray wanted to be a stay at home parent and take care of their very young child. I think the time frame he actually did so was about 6 months, then his career came into play in PA.

2) He and his second wife, Emma, were said to have a very volatile relationship and one of the areas of huge disagreements was financial thrift vs. spending. Ray's friend and former A.D.A., Steve Sloane, has said that one day Ray came home to Emma and she'd bought and had delivered a great deal of very ornate furniture for the house. Ray deemed it to be frivolous spending and they had a huge falling out over Emma's spending. It's believed the differences in their spending was a major cause of their break up. Not that we really know this as fact, only anecdotally.

3) Ray was single for a year or two after divorcing Emma and then was in some sort of relationship with Patty F. He moved into her modest family home. It was an inherited home for her. She had a fairly small mortgage, maybe for money she used to update the house a bit, and when Ray moved in, he paid it off. The amount was around $75,000.
The house stayed in Patty's name on the deed.

Then, he bought the Mini Cooper, and it is said he paid cash. He titled the car in Patty's name and bought personalized license plates that said " PFo".
These license plates were on the car when he disappeared. It has recently been reported in one newspaper or blog that Patty and Ray were engaged. I do not think this means a thing. I do not believe he'd bought her a diamond or other engagement ring, and I do not think they had that deep a commitment made for their lives. Karen Arnold's account of her observations of her co-worker and D.A. at the time of his disappearance would support that it was not a long- term deeply committed relationship as Karen called Patty by the term " paramour" repeatedly. It can have 2 different meanings, one an outdated form meaning " girlfriend", the other a more traditional European meaning of " unworthy or unimportant sexual liaison partner".

We do not know of any expensive vacations, no trips to Vegas, no expensive hobbies. He is said to have known about the Street of Shops ( or SOS) in Lewisburg because he collected antique toys. No photos have ever shown any antique toys belonging to him and we don't know if there were 2 Lionel trains or a huge and expensive toy collection or what. It was very vaguely stated but was given as the main reason he'd be in the SOS.

He and Patty did dine out along the same patterns as most couples, I've read. He did withdraw cash from his bank's ATM, around $150=$200 a week, I believe. This is believed to have been his pocket spending money.

I'm sure he'd paid child support for Lara, and helped her through college, as had her mother, likely. He also had to pay Emma some money in their divorce around the year 2001. I know he was said to have been really steamed about that.

Most of the info we have is second- hand anecdotal info from Patty and also from Ray's few close friends, so I'm very hesitant to state most of it as factual. I believe it is, as the pattern of his life was extremely staid and, well, boring to people who are more carefree and less thrifty. :)
I think he was smart and likely did exactly what he wanted to except for the few years he was married to Emma. That's also when he disappeared for over 24 hours, part of that time spent at the Cleveland Indians ballpark in OH.

P.S.- I am not by any means speaking for another poster or meaning to fill those shoes. :) My headache is preventing me from sleeping tonight, so I thought I'd " hit the high spots" as far as what's been discussed here regarding Ray and his money habits as far as we can determine. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
ADDENDUM: I'd be very remiss if I didn't mention the extensive searches and financial work that Tracker and JJ have done regarding the known and accessible financial statements of RFG's.

They are scanned in on this massive thread... JJ and Tracker may be able to repost them for you very quickly. It would take me a while to find them.

Ray's case was once a featured case on WS, and all the photos, maps, documents, news links, were in a separate folder. It was wonderful!!
Not sure what happened, maybe the passing of time alone, but his case got put into " Missing But Not Forgotten- 2000's" section and has remained here since. I'd love for it to be a featured case again. We had tons and tons of posters for several years. Many things were known to locals and they used to post what they observed and otherwise knew of him in office, or in town ( like he and Patty in the park) in the very early posts. Now those early threads aren't recoverable.

LOL Jana, I have trained you well. :) :)

PEF's house was worth $64 K. The mortgage would be less than that. PEF had the house, and presumably the mortgage, prior to being involved with RFG. She inherited it from her mother; she also had three siblings.

It is possible that she effectively bought out he siblings and used the mortgage for that; in that case, the mortgage would be no more than $43 K. The mortgage could have been taken prior to PEF's mother's death and she could have had most of it paid off by the time RFG entered the picture.

The mortgage would be something less than $43 K. As Jana noted, RFG did not want his name on the deed.

LOL Jana, I have trained you well. :) :)

PEF's house was worth $64 K. The mortgage would be less than that. PEF had the house, and presumably the mortgage, prior to being involved with RFG. She inherited it from her mother; she also had three siblings.

It is possible that she effectively bought out he siblings and used the mortgage for that; in that case, the mortgage would be no more than $43 K. The mortgage could have been taken prior to PEF's mother's death and she could have had most of it paid off by the time RFG entered the picture.

The mortgage would be something less than $43 K. As Jana noted, RFG did not want his name on the deed.

I'd have been a fool not to have paid attention over the past 13 years, my dear friend!

I had a feeling I was over-estimating what Ray paid on Patty's house to have the deed free and clear for her.
I tend to overestimate financial figures paid or due, sorry. It's a long-term habit... I apologize. ;)

Thanks for putting it right. :)

I'd have been a fool not to have paid attention over the past 13 years, my dear friend!

I had a feeling I was over-estimating what Ray paid on Patty's house to have the deed free and clear for her.
I tend to overestimate financial figures paid or due, sorry. It's a long-term habit... I apologize. ;)

Thanks for putting it right. :)

No apologies necessary. It's just something we don't know.

We know that PEF got the house in the late 1990's. Was there a mortgage that she just took over? Was the house paid in full and she took out the mortgage to buy out her siblings? We don't know if the mortgage was for the full value of the house. We don't know how much she paid on it before RFG moved in. It will be less that $64 K, possibly a lot less.

The money part is very interesting. I had a forensic accountant take a passing look and got the "this is really strange" response. Her comments and what I have seen posted here give the impression there is a lot of money unaccounted for, even with divorce payouts, college tuition, etc. PF appears to have been taken care of (home and car) to a level that many "domestic partners" are not. J.J., who got the pension money? Refresh my mind on that one. I seem to remember Laura was in good shape as well. So the two ladies in RFG's life were not left financially wanting by his going missing, almost as if it had been planned for in advance. To me it adds additional credence to the walk away scenario.

The money part is very interesting. I had a forensic accountant take a passing look and got the "this is really strange" response. Her comments and what I have seen posted here give the impression there is a lot of money unaccounted for, even with divorce payouts, college tuition, etc. PF appears to have been taken care of (home and car) to a level that many "domestic partners" are not. J.J., who got the pension money? Refresh my mind on that one. I seem to remember Laura was in good shape as well. So the two ladies in RFG's life were not left financially wanting by his going missing, almost as if it had been planned for in advance. To me it adds additional credence to the walk away scenario.

I agree with your and your friend's assessment 100$, er, 100%. ;)

Split between PEF and LAG, from what I've heard. The two ladies were well taken care of, eventually. I'm not sure PEF know that on 4/15/05.

From what I have been told, had RFG retired and then died, e.g. he was hit by a bus in February 2006, the benefits would have been substantially less.

From what I have been told, had RFG retired and then died, e.g. he was hit by a bus in February 2006, the benefits would have been substantially less.
Is that because his pension would have had less time to accrue money (I worded that horribly, but hopefully you get my drift)? What year was he declared dead again? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbarabarth2016